Notices

How quiet is the 2018 TLX on the highway?

 
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 64
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How quiet is the 2018 TLX on the highway?

2018 acura tlx. How quiet is it?
Johns54 is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 12:51 PM
  #2  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
how can we relay that to you?
how can we describe how quiet a car is?
not over text, we cant.

Go to your local dealer and test drive one on the freeway
justnspace is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM
  #3  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
THe only way to do this is if a current owner of an '18 TLX downloads an app that monitors/measures DB

then the tester would notate different decibels during different conditions
- start up (windows closed)
- idle (windows closed)
- steady state driving (windows closed)
- acceleration (windows closed)

then do it all over again with the windows open
then do it all over again with A/C engaged

Last edited by justnspace; 01-03-2018 at 12:57 PM.
justnspace is offline  
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:34 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Age: 31
Posts: 270
Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts
It's quieter than any previous Honda/Acura product, that's for sure. I'd say it's on par with a Lexus ES. A little bit less wind noise, a little bit more road noise (especially if you get the larger wheels).
fiatlux is online now  
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:50 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Johns54 View Post
2018 acura tlx. How quiet is it?
Generally it is quiet on the freeway. Probably up there with Lexus or BMW 5 series.

The question is if it remains quiet after 2, 3 years I am not sure. I've only driven ones with less than 1000 miles. But it's definitely quieter than any Acuras before.
hadokenuh is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 840
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Pretty quiet. Way ahead of the 4g TL in that department. Same with ride quality. The 2 things i hated in the 4g TL
mondster is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 AM
  #7  
Senior Moderator
 
Mr Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 42
Posts: 5,432
Received 592 Likes on 279 Posts
If you've driven previous Hondas/Acuras which did pretty poorly with noise, and hashness, this is a completely different animal. Targeting N,V,H was a priority of theirs, and it really showed.

The only way you could see that for yourself though is to just go for a test drive.
Mr Hyde is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
CheeseyPoofs McNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,662
Received 998 Likes on 468 Posts
It was a nice upgrade in quietness and ride quality from my 2013 Accord EX-L. We have a 2016 CRV and it's a serious upgrade from that!
It may not be at the Lexus level but it's good for a Honda product.
CheeseyPoofs McNut is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
TLX is quieter than BMW etc... I mean, to get quiter than TLX (which is excellent in that regard) you'd have to step up to something like a high end Mercedes with the double pain glass. Last time I looked those went for about $150K?

Bear in mind that +3 dB difference is DOUBLE the noise since it's a logarithmic scale. So, if some of the cars are listed as only 2 db higher than the TLX, it's actually significantly louder.



Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut View Post
It was a nice upgrade in quietness and ride quality from my 2013 Accord EX-L. We have a 2016 CRV and it's a serious upgrade from that!
It may not be at the Lexus level but it's good for a Honda product.
Huh? Actually Lexus is up to the TLX level - both tested at 67 db @70 MPH in Car & Driver test results for RX350 and RX450 - also, cars.com said this about the Lexus ES 350: "Where the ES 350 could improve is its noise level. The way the tires smack the road is loud and intrusive for a luxury car, and there’s off-putting road noise as the tires hum at highway speeds." Certainly not the case for the Acura TLX!

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-04-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Christopher. is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Christopher.:
9SpeedTran (07-09-2019), Saintor (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:38 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher. View Post
TLX is quieter than BMW etc... I mean, to get quiter than TLX (which is excellent in that regard) you'd have to step up to something like a high end Mercedes with the double pain glass. Last time I looked those went for about $150K?

Bear in mind that +3 dB difference is DOUBLE the noise since it's a logarithmic scale. So, if some of the cars are listed as only 2 db higher than the TLX, it's actually significantly louder.

The BMW 3 series is not known for quietness. The BMW 5 series is quiet. I said "Lexus and BMW 5 series" in my post.
hadokenuh is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:55 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh View Post
The BMW 3 series is not known for quietness. The BMW 5 series is quiet. I said "Lexus and BMW 5 series" in my post.
Well, is the 5 series better than the 7 series? Because the 7 series is slightly inferior to the TLX :


The reason I used that chart, instead of one for a 5 series, is, that it was tedious going through reviews looking for them because most of the reviews do not include that chart, and I presume that the 7 series BMW is not inferior to the 5 series, in terms of luxury? And notice, as I said previously - you have to step up to a ~$100,000 Mercedes to reach superior road noise levels lower than the TLX.

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-04-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Christopher. is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Christopher.:
9SpeedTran (07-09-2019), hadokenuh (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:02 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
CheeseyPoofs McNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,662
Received 998 Likes on 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher. View Post

Huh? Actually Lexus is up to the TLX level - both tested at 67 db @70 MPH in Car & Driver test results for RX350 and RX450 - also, cars.com said this about the Lexus ES 350: "Where the ES 350 could improve is its noise level. The way the tires smack the road is loud and intrusive for a luxury car, and there’s off-putting road noise as the tires hum at highway speeds." Certainly not the case for the Acura TLX!
I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been in a Lexus - but that's always been a strong point for them. Frankly I'm a bit leery of the noise tests - so many variables involved - how does C&D make sure all the conditions are homogeneous for every car?
CheeseyPoofs McNut is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut View Post
I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been in a Lexus - but that's always been a strong point for them. Frankly I'm a bit leery of the noise tests - so many variables involved - how does C&D make sure all the conditions are homogeneous for every car?
They state the conditions and equipment used, and, that the use their independent speed measuring device, not simply relying on the car's speedometer, to verify equal speeds among the different cars tested. They're doing these tests at 70 MPH and I'm sure that if it was raining, or if there was a strong wind, etc. they would either not do the test that day, or make a note with an asterisk.

Here is some further reading: How does C/D Test Cars?

From that link:

"Sound Level Vehicle noise that makes its way into the passenger compartment can greatly affect a car's character. To measure it, we use a hand-held Brüel & Kjær Type 2236 sound-level meter. First, we use the VBOX to determine the speedometer reading that corresponds to a true 70 mph. Then we position the microphone close to the driver's right ear and measure the sound at idle, at full throttle, and when cruising at 70 mph. Sound level is measured in decibels with the A-weighting scale (dBA), and we average the sound level in two directions to minimize the effect of wind. And as you'd expect, the higher the number, the louder the noise." Pretty solid test method I'd say?
Christopher. is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM
  #14  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
Since we are comparing the 5 series; lets add the RLX.
Originally Posted by RLX-SPORT-HYBRID
Good Morning! I downloaded a db measuring app on my phone this morning and tested it to see what I showed. Here is what I saw:
  • 11db - @ 0 mph, Engine off
  • 24db - @ 0 mph, EV mode engaged, no ICE engine, no AC
  • 33db - @ 0 mph, EV mode engaged, no ICE engine, AC operating with two bars on the fan speed
  • 41db - @ 0 mph, ICE engine engaged, AC operating with two bars on the fan speed
  • 44db - @ 40 mph on asphalt pavement, EV mode engaged, no ICE engine, AC operating with two bars on the fan speed
  • 52db - @ 40 mph on asphalt pavement, ICE engine engaged, AC operating with two bars on the fan speed
  • 58db - @ 60 mph on asphalt pavement, EV mode engaged, no ICE engine, AC operating with two bars on the fan speed
  • 61db - @ 60 mph on asphalt pavement, ICE engine engaged, AC operating with two bars on the fan speed
*** There was no measurable difference when driving with the AC on or off which surprised me. I would have expected a few db drop but it did not show that on the app.
justnspace is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher. View Post
Well, is the 5 series better than the 7 series? Because the 7 series is slightly inferior to the TLX :


The reason I used that chart, instead of one for a 5 series, is, that it was tedious going through reviews looking for them because most of the reviews do not include that chart, and I presume that the 7 series BMW is not inferior to the 5 series, in terms of luxury? And notice, as I said previously - you have to step up to a ~$100,000 Mercedes to reach superior road noise levels lower than the TLX.
I haven't driven the 7 series before so I don't know but like you said I also presume the 7 is not inferior to the 5. I am very surprised with the numbers vs. the TLX. I thought the TLX is very quiet but am surprised that it even beats the 7.

Speaking of the test numbers, I just want to point out that the dBA is not telling everything. What we don't want to hear is road/wind/tire noise. What we do want is engine/exhausted noise, well at least some of us here. So the dBA reading might also include the engine noise ...
hadokenuh is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 02:04 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
Since we are comparing the 5 series; lets add the RLX.
Not apple to apple comparison. Test numbers must be coming the same source.
hadokenuh is offline  
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM
  #17  
Banned
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MTL, Canada
Age: 51
Posts: 2,905
Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I must say that I am fascinated that the V6 is 1db quieter than the 4. It would be easy to conclude that it just revs lower. But at 60mph at 1500 or 2000rpm, you would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

Proof that V6 *are* smoother? like if any proof was needed. Or maybe different tires? Possible too.

Mine is incredibly butter smooth and the ride is great. At least the poor Good Year tires give that.

Last edited by Saintor; 01-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Saintor is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Rocketsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,548
Received 524 Likes on 292 Posts
I'm @ around 70,000 miles on mine and it still rides quiet. My 3G TL was a rattle-fest by this time, but the TLX may have one intermittent buzz in it somewhere that currently I don't hear. I'm also on my 2nd set of tires which is a different brand/model than the first set that came with the car (both sets were touring tires). Even though I despise Acura for the transmission, the 2 best qualities about this car have been the highway mileage (just got 36-38 mpg on a drive from Dallas to Nashville and back) and the road noise.
Rocketsfan is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,278
Received 212 Likes on 154 Posts
2yrs and 36k miles later, my TLX is still quiet. The only thing making it loud are the shitty Bridgestone tires will I'll be getting rid of soon.
dezymond is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 10:30 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
ostrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 2,488
Received 348 Likes on 179 Posts
It's VERY quiet! And I love it... :-)

One of the reasons why I chose the 2018 TLX Elite SH-AWD A-Spec was because of how quiet it was. OK, it was not any scientific test but when I compared my test drive with the TLX A-Spec to the other test drives that I did with the MB C300, Volvo V90, Volvo XC60, Audi Allroad, Audi Q5.... none of them compared to the quietness of the TLX A-Spec.

I have had the car for 2 months now and I just love it more and more! :-)
ostrich is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by ostrich:
a35tl (01-04-2018), Christopher. (01-04-2018), hadokenuh (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,875
Received 634 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh View Post
I haven't driven the 7 series before so I don't know but like you said I also presume the 7 is not inferior to the 5. I am very surprised with the numbers vs. the TLX. I thought the TLX is very quiet but am surprised that it even beats the 7.

Speaking of the test numbers, I just want to point out that the dBA is not telling everything. What we don't want to hear is road/wind/tire noise. What we do want is engine/exhausted noise, well at least some of us here. So the dBA reading might also include the engine noise ...
In my experience BMW’s are not exactly known for being quiet and moreover known as the “drivers machine” or something like that. So just because the TLX is quieter than a BMW really doesn’t say much. Furthermore doesn’t the A-spec pump in artificial engine noise or is that only in certain modes? How does that affect test results? With all that said, I think Acura put a lot of effort with their latest crop of vehicles and therefore I am not surprised that they are getting much quieter. Sidenote: I really really want to ride in something like a rolly royce or bentley mulsanne, I want to know what it feels like to ride in a nearly silent car.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:13 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Nexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 782
Received 207 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
In my experience BMW’s are not exactly known for being quiet and moreover known as the “drivers machine” or something like that. So just because the TLX is quieter than a BMW really doesn’t say much. Furthermore doesn’t the A-spec pump in artificial engine noise or is that only in certain modes? How does that affect test results? With all that said, I think Acura put a lot of effort with their latest crop of vehicles and therefore I am not surprised that they are getting much quieter. Sidenote: I really really want to ride in something like a rolly royce or bentley mulsanne, I want to know what it feels like to ride in a nearly silent car.
stop, seriously, just stop. i get it. you love your Kia.... but stop doing everything you can in your soul to discredit the TLX.
Nexx is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:25 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,875
Received 634 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx View Post
stop, seriously, just stop. i get it. you love your Kia.... but stop doing everything you can in your soul to discredit the TLX.
How about you stop. We get it, you sell Acuras. I don’t own a Kia and also maybe you can’t read properly but nowehere did I discredit the TLX, infact I even said Acura is really trying hard and I’m not surprised they are so quiet. So kindly fuck off and go bug someone else.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:30 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Nexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 782
Received 207 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
How about you stop. We get it, you sell Acuras. I don’t own a Kia and also maybe you can’t read properly but nowehere did I discredit the TLX, infact I even said Acura is really trying hard and I’m not surprised they are so quiet. So kindly fuck off and go bug someone else.
wow so hateful. speaks volumes.
Nexx is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:34 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,875
Received 634 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx View Post
wow so hateful. speaks volumes.
Cool story. bye now.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
Nexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 782
Received 207 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
Cool story. bye now.
you had to resort to that line? come on man.
Nexx is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 06:38 AM
  #27  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
uhhh, fellas..... back on topic of DB's... please.
i'm dying for some one to download the DB app on android or iOS to replicate the RLX test. ya know, something other than magazines....

i'll do it for my 2006 TL and then we can compare!
justnspace is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 AM
  #28  
Moderator
 
CheeseyPoofs McNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,662
Received 998 Likes on 468 Posts
Tires, weather conditions, road conditions, etc etc., all play a factor into a reading. There's no way to scientifically quantify how quiet a ride is compared to another ride unless you compare them in lab situation. I'm sure C&D does their best but it's not science, simply a point of reference.

All that said - the TLX is pretty quiet by my ears!

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 01-05-2018 at 07:35 AM.
CheeseyPoofs McNut is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 AM
  #29  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
I have a loud exhaust. i'm fully expecting it to be louder than any other car. LOL
justnspace is offline  
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-09-2019)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:11 AM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,875
Received 634 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
uhhh, fellas..... back on topic of DB's... please.
i'm dying for some one to download the DB app on android or iOS to replicate the RLX test. ya know, something other than magazines....

i'll do it for my 2006 TL and then we can compare!
I was on topic. You saying you want further results not from a magazine is also “discrediting the TLX” apparently. But in all seriousness, I am with you 100% and would love to see how quiet the RLX is because apparently it’s supposed to be super quiet. Also like cheesey was saying, tires tires tires. I notice enormous differences in my cars whenever I swap out tires. It’s funny how we just get accustomed to the loud tires as they wear without realizing it but then a swap to new tires produces a massive difference to my ears. This is just a long way of saying I read the RLX has special rims that are supposed to reduce wind noise so I’d love to see how effective they really are.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 AM
  #31  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
In my experience BMW’s are not exactly known for being quiet and moreover known as the “drivers machine” or something like that. So just because the TLX is quieter than a BMW really doesn’t say much. Furthermore doesn’t the A-spec pump in artificial engine noise or is that only in certain modes? How does that affect test results? With all that said, I think Acura put a lot of effort with their latest crop of vehicles and therefore I am not surprised that they are getting much quieter. Sidenote: I really really want to ride in something like a rolly royce or bentley mulsanne, I want to know what it feels like to ride in a nearly silent car.
I had a 2008 528i and my family currently has a 2013 535i. They are both very well insulated against wind/tire/road noise. Engine noise is what makes it "noisy". The inline 6 engine is very smooth as I remember.

Believe it or not, I've been in and driven (briefly) a Roll Royce Phantom. I think it was a 2013 model. It was dead silent and smooth even on broken street. It accelerated very quickly too. Kind of like the top of the line Lexus except it's much better in every way.
hadokenuh is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by hadokenuh:
ostrich (01-08-2018), RDX10 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:21 AM
  #32  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
This is just a long way of saying I read the RLX has special rims that are supposed to reduce wind noise so I’d love to see how effective they really are
yes, the ILX and RLX has a band wrapped around the barrel of the wheel. the band has holes in it.I believe the holes emit noise (frequency) to cancel out other noises (frequencies)
justnspace is offline  
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM
  #33  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
you can see it here:

Originally Posted by LimeLight
In an effort to reduce cabin/road noise, Acura uses a polypropylene Helmholtz resonator that encircles the center portion of the inside of the wheel - this is supposed to significantly lower middle frequency noise.
justnspace is offline  
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 AM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,875
Received 634 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh View Post
I had a 2008 528i and my family currently has a 2013 535i. They are both very well insulated against wind/tire/road noise. Engine noise is what makes it "noisy". The inline 6 engine is very smooth as I remember.

Believe it or not, I've been in and driven (briefly) a Roll Royce Phantom. I think it was a 2013 model. It was dead silent and smooth even on broken street. It accelerated very quickly too. Kind of like the top of the line Lexus except it's much better in every way.
Yes exactly! This was what I was trying to say earlier but then the rabid fanbois came in and started bitching as usual. My comment about BMW’s being the “drivers machine” was to imply that the noise it makes is intended to enhance the drive, be it engine or exhaust noise so I don’t personally associate BMW’s with quiet. Oh my god that’s so cool that you got to drive a rolls! Literally a goal of mine is to be able to do that someday (not to own, but at least drive/ride in one), I am so curious to know what it feels like. I’ve been in quieter “mainstream” luxury vehicles and I’m sure that doesn’t hold a candle to a rolls royce so I want to experience the odd sensation of being in a practically silent car. I wonder if I’d get irritated after a short while.

Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
yes, the ILX and RLX has a band wrapped around the barrel of the wheel. the band has holes in it.I believe the holes emit noise (frequency) to cancel out other noises (frequencies)
See it is shit like this that is SO COOL to me, I’m not good with technology persay but I am a total car-tech nerd and I love reading about/learning about how these things work. See Acura has the capacity to be absolutely brilliant when they come out with things like this. I mean really I’m super impressed right now. I thought it was just a rim design never mind a whole active noise cancellation device INSIDE THE WHEELS!!!The nerd in me would love to see if they could modify this to work on side mirrors to reduce wind noise associated with that. Oh the applications....
RDX10 is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:45 AM
  #35  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
I enjoy it too. Some may not agree with my outspoken personality (idgaf), But I really love cars and all the engineering feats that go into making a car! thus why I'm everywhere on the forums, because I like to learn.

I too, thought it was a wheel design, as thats what Acura led me to believe, until someone posted that picture in the RLX forums.
justnspace is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:54 AM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,875
Received 634 Likes on 510 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
I enjoy it too. Some may not agree with my outspoken personality (idgaf), But I really love cars and all the engineering feats that go into making a car! thus why I'm everywhere on the forums, because I like to learn.

I too, thought it was a wheel design, as thats what Acura led me to believe, until someone posted that picture in the RLX forums.
Lol I’m not ashamed to state that I am obsessed with AWD systems. Spent 2 weeks reading and watching videos on SH-AWD when I first learned about it and totally agree, I am fascinated with how cars work and can spend hours learning about simple things.
RDX10 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM
  #37  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
if you understand how something works, you can operate it correctly and clean/service it correctly!!
I wonder about fluid mechanics a lot and how it affects transmissions and other parts of the car! I wonder if the TLX would benefit from different fluid? as Acura and other tend to skip over that and blame it on other things
justnspace is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 AM
  #38  
Registered Member
 
Nexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 782
Received 207 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
I was on topic. You saying you want further results not from a magazine is also “discrediting the TLX” apparently. But in all seriousness, I am with you 100% and would love to see how quiet the RLX is because apparently it’s supposed to be super quiet. Also like cheesey was saying, tires tires tires. I notice enormous differences in my cars whenever I swap out tires. It’s funny how we just get accustomed to the loud tires as they wear without realizing it but then a swap to new tires produces a massive difference to my ears. This is just a long way of saying I read the RLX has special rims that are supposed to reduce wind noise so I’d love to see how effective they really are.
My wife's last two cars were 2015 TLX and 2016 RLX. TLX seemed a tad quieter to me.
Nexx is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM
  #39  
Registered Member
 
Nexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 782
Received 207 Likes on 118 Posts
Another thing, I know the TLX was the first Acura to use acoustic foam. Not sure if any of the newer models use them now.
Nexx is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 PM
  #40  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81,206
Received 14,171 Likes on 10,521 Posts
Where is the acoustic foam placed? in the body panels or in the interior?
justnspace is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How quiet is the 2018 TLX on the highway?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.