How many people have had issues with Aero Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question How many people have had issues with Aero Kit?

I have a Slate Silver TLX and I want to put the aero kit on at the end of the month. I have seen multiple people show their kits becoming unstuck and complain about quality. Anyone here not have any problems with their kit? It looks really good on the TLX IMO.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
ongoing problem with fit and finish of the trunk spoiler - only piece I have.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine was bending upwards at the sides, both sides.

They replaced it and the new one had the same problem. So they had to order another one.

They replaced it again and yeah it's sitting on there for now with a different tape, but I can see the white tape they used up close. Not classy. Permanantly damages your trunk with the screw hole in the middle so you can't just change your mind. You can't tell aesthetically unless you're looking for it but it's pretty disappointing and I expect it to fail on the edges again. So long as there is only one primary screw in the middle of the trunk securing the spoiler I believe it will naturally force the sides to warp upwards due to the primary bolt pressure in the middle without having the same pressure on the plastic spoiler holding it down on the sides.

Also front right bumper trim piece is peeling off. Not obvious so I'm not gonna address it immediately but still pretty ridiculous.

I would still get the kit, maybe get the newer 2018 style spoiler though. I didn't check but it doesn't seem like that screws on so if you hate it you can always go back.
The following users liked this post:
Fidel CashFlow (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Don't get me wrong though. It looks good and my third one is holding ... But the 15-17 style spoiler is a pathetic excuse for a trim piece. Before buying I would explicitly state that you are buying it from them and having them install it so you don't won't have problems. That's what I said up front so they knew my reasonable expectations had to be met.

I don't like how the car looks without the whole kit and I would do it again. The new 2018 a spec back end with the 15-17 front end would be perfect though.

Last edited by 01LSi; 09-12-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Advanced

On the subject of nice silver TLX's with this kit, the one in this video is great - Not my personal choice of wheels or extreme drop

Also some of my favorite pics in white with the kit Gallery: SCALE Suspension Acura TLX ? Acura Connected

That video of the silver TLX and the pics of the white TLX showing how the look can change with a couple pieces to be really tasteful is what helped nudge me into actually considering buying the car in silver white or black.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01LSi
Don't get me wrong though. It looks good and my third one is holding ... But the 15-17 style spoiler is a pathetic excuse for a trim piece. Before buying I would explicitly state that you are buying it from them and having them install it so you don't won't have problems. That's what I said up front so they knew my reasonable expectations had to be met.

I don't like how the car looks without the whole kit and I would do it again. The new 2018 a spec back end with the 15-17 front end would be perfect though.
I dont think it comes with the spoiler, I will probably stay away from it for now.
That TLX does look really good though!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Man I just watched that video again and now I want to take mine back and get it in silver ... Oh and to lower mine to some degree lol.

Maybe consider the 18 spoiler instead! I don't have a picture of how that looks with the 15-17 rear bumper but I imagine it would still probably flow well
Old 09-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

Man I just watched that video again and now I want to take mine back and get it in silver ... Oh and to lower mine to some degree lol.

Maybe consider the 18 spoiler instead! I don't have a picture of how that looks with the 15-17 rear bumper but I imagine it would still probably flow well
Haha i love the SSM, i believe he has a wrap on his car tho. How can i get an 18 spoiler?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fidel CashFlow
Haha i love the SSM, i believe he has a wrap on his car tho. How can i get an 18 spoiler?
Part #38 Acura online store : 2018 tlx trunk lid parts
  • Part Number: 71700-TZ3-A11
Through that portal you can buy and pick up locally. You'll pay tax but you won't pay shipping so it's probably cheaper for an item this big to just do it through this portal or in store. Check on your local dealers websites too they may have parts coupons you can apply to these.

Edit: Unless you buy the entire kit at once, it might be cheaper to buy from Delray Acura OEM parts website and apply a coupon code CLUBRSX for 5% off. Or share with your dealer and they might price match and then you pay for install. Delray has the most competitive prices I've seen and I've bought a lot of major / large parts from them over the years.

Last edited by 01LSi; 09-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fidel CashFlow (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yea mines have been starting to come off too...well the side skirts. the front and rear are fine. I also have the SSM, I have to figure out a way to just make the damn thing stay
Old 09-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Fidel CashFlow
I have a Slate Silver TLX and I want to put the aero kit on at the end of the month. I have seen multiple people show their kits becoming unstuck and complain about quality. Anyone here not have any problems with their kit? It looks really good on the TLX IMO.
When I bought my 2017 I did a lot of research and asked around and decided to only opt for the trunk spoiler which did end up coming loose. From what I learned talking to people that had it and some poeple at the dealer its probably not a great idea for the long term. If I did get it I would have done it at point of sale as that way you for sure get the 4 year warranty on it. I had mixed answers on what the warranty was after delivery ranging from the end of the original 4 year warranty to 12 months. I think the biggest problem I heard was the bumper attachments and side skirts separating over time and more so if you go through car washes. It does look good though when its intact. I guess the climate you live in will also play a factor.

Another big thing is the installer, I think your mileage on it may vary based on the quality of the installation but not doing it yourself leaves it out of your control.

Last edited by jhb31; 09-15-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Part #38 Acura online store : 2018 tlx trunk lid parts
  • Part Number: 71700-TZ3-A11
Through that portal you can buy and pick up locally. You'll pay tax but you won't pay shipping so it's probably cheaper for an item this big to just do it through this portal or in store. Check on your local dealers websites too they may have parts coupons you can apply to these.

Edit: Unless you buy the entire kit at once, it might be cheaper to buy from Delray Acura OEM parts website and apply a coupon code CLUBRSX for 5% off. Or share with your dealer and they might price match and then you pay for install. Delray has the most competitive prices I've seen and I've bought a lot of major / large parts from them over the years.
Hey thanks for the links and the code!! Comes up to a little under $1400, I dont know what installation would cost but its doable. I will definitely check out my local parts store too.

Originally Posted by jhb31
When I bought my 2017 I did a lot of research and asked around and decided to only opt for the trunk spoiler which did end up coming loose. From what I learned talking to people that had it and some poeple at the dealer its probably not a great idea for the long term. If I did get it I would have done it at point of sale as that way you for sure get the 4 year warranty on it. I had mixed answers on what the warranty was after delivery ranging from the end of the original 4 year warranty to 12 months. I think the biggest problem I heard was the bumper attachments and side skirts separating over time and more so if you go through car washes. It does look good though when its intact. I guess the climate you live in will also play a factor.

Another big thing is the installer, I think your mileage on it may vary based on the quality of the installation but not doing it yourself leaves it out of your control.
Damn im so torn, i want it so bad!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Is there anyway to bond bolts to the ends that can be run through the lid & torqued down? If the spoiler has enough meat on it a blind hole could be drilled into the underside to hold the bolt head & then closed up with glass & resin to hold it in place.