How do I *properly* remove the A Pillars for tweeter install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How do I *properly* remove the A Pillars for tweeter install

Besides unplugging the negative battery terminal, how do I remove the A Pillar? Does it simply slide upward or do you have to do a combination of prying towards the middle of the vehile and then sliding up towards the roof? Can someone provide very detailed information/images on how to do this properly since it involves SRS. I've seen that some people on this forum have removed their A pillar to install tweeters so there's some experience here I'd like to tap into.

I believe behind the SRS tab there is a screw (well, there is one on the new MDX, haven't checked on my TLX yet).

Thanks
Old 07-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Its very simple to remove the A pillar trim. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the SRS Airbag cover back, and unscrew the small bolt under the cover. Once the fastener is removed, start at the top of the trim piece, and pull it toward yourself. Then lift it up out of the dashboard. The tweeter has a wire connecting the speaker to the body of the car, use you fingernails to unlock the clip that holds it in place. From there you can remove the trim piece and have complete access to the tweeter. All of the airbag equipment is attached to the body of the car, not the trim piece.
The following users liked this post:
01LSi (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by theredia92
Its very simple to remove the A pillar trim. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the SRS Airbag cover back, and unscrew the small bolt under the cover. Once the fastener is removed, start at the top of the trim piece, and pull it toward yourself. Then lift it up out of the dashboard. The tweeter has a wire connecting the speaker to the body of the car, use you fingernails to unlock the clip that holds it in place. From there you can remove the trim piece and have complete access to the tweeter. All of the airbag equipment is attached to the body of the car, not the trim piece.
Awesome thank you.