Honda Acura Sales Going Through the Roof: Is This the Start of a Winning Streak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015 | 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Honda Acura Sales Going Through the Roof: Is This the Start of a Winning Streak?

" Acura clocked an impressive sales spike toward the end of 2014; could its future be just as exciting, if not more so? Let's look through the windshield to see what lies ahead for Acura and Honda."

Read more here, Honda Acura Sales Going Through the Roof: Is This the Start of a Winning Streak? (HMC)
The following users liked this post:
internalaudit (02-16-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Glashub
" Acura clocked an impressive sales spike toward the end of 2014; could its future be just as exciting, if not more so? Let's look through the windshield to see what lies ahead for Acura and Honda."

Read more here, Honda Acura Sales Going Through the Roof: Is This the Start of a Winning Streak? (HMC)
I'm curious what others think of the TLX US sales:

Oct 4,900
Nov 4,233
Dec 3,834
Jan 2,892

Clearly the winter months are the slowest for car sales however we're seeing a trend downward since the initial sales numbers (likely boosted by the Acura Advantage Program) peaked in Oct. The next 3 or 4 months will tell the tale methinks.
Old 02-05-2015 | 11:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

Oct 4,900
Nov 4,233
Dec 3,834
Jan 2,892

Clearly the winter months are the slowest for car sales however we're seeing a trend downward since the initial sales numbers (likely boosted by the Acura Advantage Program) peaked in Oct. The next 3 or 4 months will tell the tale methinks.
even the 3 Series were down almost a half.
CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 11:32 AM
Instructor

Oct 4,900
Nov 4,233
Dec 3,834
Jan 2,892

Year over year is pretty good, up 27.9% versus January 14 TL+TSX. (2892 vs. 2261)
CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

In our market we don't have 'winter' weather per se, but the holidays are a time of huge distraction for car sales. From crazy traffic everywhere (made worse by roadwork as the state tries to spend the budget), kids out of school, and gift shopping. But we can't blame the weather

We're also pretty strong in 4 cylinder vs. 6 in the TLX. IMO, the TLX interest has eased dramatically in Dec-Jan and I suspect that the ILX getting the 2.4 + DCT is the reason. The pending release of a new competitor always puts people in a 'holding pattern' till they can see both before they make a decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-05-2015), jim256 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 02:18 PM
Instructor

Seasonality (slower sales during Thanksgiving/Christmas time) is surely one reason. But there are more: dramatically lower gas price has made many to purchase bigger engined, muscle cars or trucks. Acura is more known for fuel efficiency within the classes of its vehicles. There is a 'substitution' effect. I know a friend of mine eventually bought a pre-owned Audi with lower MPG and he was in the market for a brand-new TLX until the gas price dropped. His pre-owned Audi has low miles and cost nearly the same as a brand-new TLX. I also wonder if the transmission problems have held back some potential buyers.
Old 02-05-2015 | 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyw
Seasonality (slower sales during Thanksgiving/Christmas time) is surely one reason. But there are more: dramatically lower gas price has made many to purchase bigger engined, muscle cars or trucks. Acura is more known for fuel efficiency within the classes of its vehicles. There is a 'substitution' effect. I know a friend of mine eventually bought a pre-owned Audi with lower MPG and he was in the market for a brand-new TLX until the gas price dropped. His pre-owned Audi has low miles and cost nearly the same as a brand-new TLX. I also wonder if the transmission problems have held back some potential buyers.
True - consumers are very short sighted it would seem. Sales of SUV's and larger trucks have picked up while hybrid sales have dropped - many people can't see beyond the end of next week it would seem!!
Old 02-05-2015 | 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

the TLX just doing OK since it's considered the replacement of both the TL and TSX. if you combine the two cars, the number is not that impressive.
silverTL6 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 03:07 PM

its only been like 2 months since the price of oil barrels went down...LOL consumers better not BE THAT SHORT SIGHTED, as it's only going to go UP!
Old 02-05-2015 | 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jim256
Year over year is pretty good, up 27.9% versus January 14 TL+TSX. (2892 vs. 2261)

Wrong comparison...in 2014 TSX and TL were already on their way out.

I'm tracking sales of the TLX with the oldest reliable data available on goodcarbadcar.net for the TSX + TL

January 2011 (with both the TL and TSX already over 2 years old) saw sales of the TSX + TL at 3533

One year earlier, January 2010, sales of the two models combined was 3792 with the TL actually outselling the TSX.

Acura is saving money producing only one model for sure.....is still too early to tell but the tentative initial trend I see is for the TLX not being that great sales success that many expected.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-05-2015 at 03:21 PM.
justnspace (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ True and it's all been hashed over before. When comparing TL+TSX vs TLX, many people don't take into account a general trend away from sedans to CUVs. Especially as our sedan buyers' family's continue to grow. I have many clients where this has happened, one in particular: '04 TSX > '08 TSX > '11 RDX > '13 RDX and she has had another child and wants to move to MDX.

Originally Posted by justnspace
its only been like 2 months since the price of oil barrels went down...LOL consumers better not BE THAT SHORT SIGHTED, as it's only going to go UP!
They are! And it works both ways. Remember that monster month when gas prices were REALLY high and the Civic sold 50K units in one month?
Old 02-05-2015 | 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
Trucks, SUVs power blazing January auto sales:

Click -> Trucks, SUVs power blazing January auto sales

People are, indeed, *that* shorsighted!
Old 02-05-2015 | 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ You guys are way too kind! People are not short sighted....they are just plain stupid!

*lol* Sorry for the perception of being disrespectful but enough of this politically correctness...Lets call a spade a spade.
YeuEmMaiMai (03-04-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Colin
^^ True and it's all been hashed over before. When comparing TL+TSX vs TLX, many people don't take into account a general trend away from sedans to CUVs. Especially as our sedan buyers' family's continue to grow. I have many clients where this has happened, one in particular: '04 TSX > '08 TSX > '11 RDX > '13 RDX and she has had another child and wants to move to MDX.
Yes but some of the strong sedan sellers keep doing very well, the 3 Series, the new IS, the A4 (which lately slowed down because the new one is due)
I believe that Acura is way more successful contender within the SUV/Crossover buying crowd than the sport sedan folks.
Old 02-05-2015 | 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ All true. But I also think that with the revised ILX and new NSX on the horizon, and the potential of an Acura version of the HR-V being discussed, H/A are poised for a good run in the next couple of years. Thus, despite all the things they are not, the things that they are should appeal to a lot of folks.
Stew4HD (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015 | 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

No matter what, it is great to see Honda/Acura on the upswing!
Old 02-06-2015 | 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by saturno_v
One year earlier, January 2010, sales of the two models combined was 3792 with the TL actually outselling the TSX.
Acura is saving money producing only one model for sure.....is still too early to tell but the tentative initial trend I see is for the TLX not being that great sales success that many expected.
What a surprise you don't see something positive regarding the TLX.

Who says that the sales of the TLX must surpass the highest levels of the TSX &TL combined to be considered a success? Thus far it seems Acura, and outsiders are saying it is doing better than expected, and has even had supply issues. My dealership can't keep up with demand for the 4 cylinder version; same for the SH-AWD Advance models. Their supply issues don't seem unique.

Yes the TLX with 2 engine choices replaced the TSX & TL, but it doesn't occupy both segments those vehicles belonged to by itself in Acura's lineup.

Back in 2010, Acura didn't have the ILX to steer entry level shoppers to. That roll fell on the TSX. The ILX & TLX together are occupying the segments formerly held by the TSX & TL.

The MDX is a winner,The NSX is generating all kinds of buzz, and the ILX seems to be headed in the right direction, and the RDX was doing well before its refresh which is due soon. Of course sales numbers now don't mean anything for sales 2 years from now, but as long as it is out of the gate in better fashion than the 4th Gen's debut, the folks up top should be quite happy with the TLX, and the rest of the lineup except for the RLX which is in bad need of a redo from top to bottom.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-06-2015 at 04:21 PM.
invalidsearch (02-10-2015)
Old 02-06-2015 | 07:18 PM
Instructor

Not sure about other parts of the country but here in New England we were hit with back to back snowstorms in the last 8 days in January. Hard to sell cars when they're buried under 3 feet of snow. And just when they clear them all, another 2 feet falls from the sky!
Old 02-06-2015 | 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I hear ya neighbor! Living in the adjacent province, we were affected by the same storms!
Old 02-08-2015 | 10:57 AM
Intermediate

I'd be more impressed with the number of V6 models sold as those would be most comparable to the TL and its competition.
Old 02-09-2015 | 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

nope.
Old 02-09-2015 | 12:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ You guys are way too kind! People are not short sighted....they are just plain stupid!

*lol* Sorry for the perception of being disrespectful but enough of this politically correctness...Lets call a spade a spade.

Thanks Weather, totally agree. The low gas price honeymoon is about over. In the local neighborhoods gas at all brands and grades has gone up about 28 cents in last week. The shale oil companies will not let it stay where it was nationally two weeks ago and already reportedly exporting to other countries.
Old 02-09-2015 | 01:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
What a surprise you don't see something positive regarding the TLX.

Who says that the sales of the TLX must surpass the highest levels of the TSX &TL combined to be considered a success? Thus far it seems Acura, and outsiders are saying it is doing better than expected, and has even had supply issues. My dealership can't keep up with demand for the 4 cylinder version; same for the SH-AWD Advance models. Their supply issues don't seem unique.

Yes the TLX with 2 engine choices replaced the TSX & TL, but it doesn't occupy both segments those vehicles belonged to by itself in Acura's lineup.

Back in 2010, Acura didn't have the ILX to steer entry level shoppers to. That roll fell on the TSX. The ILX & TLX together are occupying the segments formerly held by the TSX & TL.

The MDX is a winner,The NSX is generating all kinds of buzz, and the ILX seems to be headed in the right direction, and the RDX was doing well before its refresh which is due soon. Of course sales numbers now don't mean anything for sales 2 years from now, but as long as it is out of the gate in better fashion than the 4th Gen's debut, the folks up top should be quite happy with the TLX, and the rest of the lineup except for the RLX which is in bad need of a redo from top to bottom.
Come on, Hyde. We both know that the 4th gen shouldn't be the benchmark for whether the TLX is a success or a flop. There would be no need for talking about "starting a winning streak" if the 4th gen hadn't taken TL sales from hero to zero in the first place. If/When TLX sales start to look closer to 3G or 2G sales than 4G sales, it will have to be considered a success by TLX fans and detractors alike. But I don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions just because it's outselling the 4G.

Last edited by TheAcAvenger; 02-09-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2015 | 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Come on, Hyde. We both know that the 4th gen shouldn't be the benchmark for whether the TLX is a success or a flop. There would be no need for talking about "starting a winning streak" if the 4th gen hadn't taken TL sales from hero to zero in the first place. If/When TLX sales start to look closer to 3G or 2G sales than 4G sales, it will have to be considered a success by TLX fans and detractors alike. But I don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions just because it's outselling the 4G.
Why are we comparing the sales to any earlier model? If we must compare, then I think the 4G has to be the benchmark for success. That is the previous model, like it or not.

The 2G and 3G were released when things were different. The segment is very different today than it was then.

Old 02-09-2015 | 05:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by florissant
I'd be more impressed with the number of V6 models sold as those would be most comparable to the TL and its competition.
Respecfully disagree.
Old 02-09-2015 | 06:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Why are we comparing the sales to any earlier model? If we must compare, then I think the 4G has to be the benchmark for success. That is the previous model, like it or not.

The 2G and 3G were released when things were different. The segment is very different today than it was then.

I disagree. What makes you say the segment has changed? That doesn't seem to be applicable to any other car in this class. The 3, the C, the IS are selling nearly identical numbers to their mid 2000s predecessors. The A4 is down this year, but the B8 as a whole has sold comparably to the previous gens. The Q50/Q60 is down 10k to the average G37 sales years and down 20 to the average G35 sales years. I don't think anyone is calling that car a success.

Why is Acura the outlier? The 4G barely sold half as many annual units as the 2nd gen or 3rd gen. We're talking a 30k to 40k difference per year. Being better than the 4G is like saying a meal was good because it didn't give you food poisoning. If the logic is that the 4G looked and felt "larger" than the cars listed above, slotting between a 3/5, A4/A6, G35/M35 that still wouldn't apply to the TLX, which has moved nicely back into the thick of things.

I'm not saying it has to sell as many units as the 3G to be considered a success. That's not going to happen overnight. I just think it's doing a disservice by comparing it to a flop. If the car is as good as it's strongest supporters make it out to be, then why not compare it to Acura's best?

Last edited by TheAcAvenger; 02-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2015 | 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

To see, one has only to open their eyes. If the 3G is what you choose to measure Acura's success against, so be it.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 02-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2015 | 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

To see, one has only to open their eyes. If the 3G is what you choose to measure Acura's success against, so be it.
So in your eyes the 4g was a success and that is what Acura needs to benchmark for the TLX?
Old 02-10-2015 | 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
So in your eyes the 4g was a success and that is what Acura needs to benchmark for the TLX?
Why would you use the 3G when we all know the TLX cannot match that? The 3 series has taken over the segment and won't be un-throned any time soon. The 3G hit a sweet spot at the right time.

So, you guys don't think Acura can measure success against the 4G because it didn't sell well and if Acura sells more TLX's then it doesn't count towards success?

Who decides the benchmark anyway? You? Me?
Old 02-10-2015 | 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
It only makes sense to compare it directly to its predecessor, and to not skip over the last 6 yrs as if they didn't exist. Are you saying that in ordered to be considered "doing well" sales wise, that the TLX in 2015 would have to just pick up where the 3G left off back in 2008? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Acura lost significant volume with the 4G, and the 3G was one of the best selling cars in its class. In 6 years time, those buyers went somewhere. Some moved on to SUVs, some moved on to other makes, and/or classes and will never return. Either way, I totally agree that the market is different than it was 6-11 years ago. The entry level market has shifted, and there's many more models in that category now that never existed before.

The damage has been done, and Acura may never recover sedan sales to the level of the 3G, but if sales are in between 4G, and 3G levels, I would definitely take that as a step in the right direction.

No one is saying otherwise, or throwing a parade just yet, its just too early to make any conclusions, but a trend is a trend, and it's all anyone has to go one right now.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-10-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2015 | 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

^ GMTA
Old 02-10-2015 | 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Why would you use the 3G when we all know the TLX cannot match that? The 3 series has taken over the segment and won't be un-throned any time soon. The 3G hit a sweet spot at the right time.

So, you guys don't think Acura can measure success against the 4G because it didn't sell well and if Acura sells more TLX's then it doesn't count towards success?

Who decides the benchmark anyway? You? Me?
No, why would one compare it to a model that was pretty much a flop (from a sales stand point). Selling more cars than the 4th gen and comparing it to it really isnt a good benchmark. Why would you be satisfied with sales slightly better than when you know from past sales it could be better? By your benchmark standards, the RLX is a success vs the RL, yet its sales are miserable, and that is putting it nicely.
Old 02-10-2015 | 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually, I don't care what you or anyone else uses to compares sales/success.. You aren't right or wrong nor am I. To make a big deal out of this is pretty funny.
Old 02-11-2015 | 09:33 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Colin
^^ All true. But I also think that with the revised ILX and new NSX on the horizon, and the potential of an Acura version of the HR-V being discussed, H/A are poised for a good run in the next couple of years. Thus, despite all the things they are not, the things that they are should appeal to a lot of folks.
Agreed on this. I think the HR-V Acura is going to happen. It would almost be stupid not to at this point.

Bring on the Acura IDX!
Old 02-11-2015 | 10:38 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

You guys hear that? Sounds like somebody gagging on a large item..
Old 02-11-2015 | 10:38 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Hmm.. first release December sales..
3rd gen TL sales: 5,853 (following year was 7,211)
4th gen TL sales: 3,167
1st gen TLX sales: 3,834

#winning

4th gen runs a close 2nd to ugliest cars Acura has ever produced, only losing to the ZDX.. and that was in the shadow of a global recession, high unemployment, high fuel cost, global migration.. yet the TLX barely eclipses their sales numbers.

Also consider that the TLX is the replacement for not just the TL, but also the TSX. Filling in the lower tier is the ILX. If you take the TLX + ILX sales and compare to the TL and TSX sales.. it's a real indicator of the success of the TLX.

TLX + ILX sales: 3,834 + 1,730 = 5,564
4G TL + TSX sales: 3,167 + 2,926 = 6,093 (following year was 3,275 + 4,393 = 7,668)
3G TL + TSX sales: 5,853 + 1,851 = 7,704 (following year was 7,211 + 3,004 = 10,215)

Sure you can say the ILX is a flop.. but then the TLX should fill that market gap alone..
Old 02-11-2015 | 12:10 PM
Racer

Can we finally let go of the comparison to the 3G? That was years ago people. It is not fair to compare TLX sales to the 3G nor the 4G for that matter. The 3G was released during a time when Acura was a technology leader and better competed with the likes of Lexus, Cadillac, Infiniti, and the Germans. The 4G was released during economic hardships (with a hate it or love it design that was ahead of its time) and most people were being frugal with their spending. Fast forward to today when you have cars like the Accord, and Camry being cross shopped with the TLX (why because they're loaded with tech and offer alot of bang for your buck that wasn't offered years ago during the days of the 3G and consumers had to shop luxury brands just to have certain features). Hence why 3G sales were through the roof. And while the 3G was nice, can we finally admit that there wasn't anything really spectacular about its exterior design. A design that has not stood the test of time and looks quite dated.

The TLX is a nice car also, but seems more like a TSX replacement so it would make more sense to compare it to former TSX sales. The TLX feels like a downgrade from the 4G TL.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 02-11-2015 at 12:15 PM.
blacktsxwagon (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015 | 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Majofo

TLX + ILX sales: 3,834 + 1,730 = 5,564
4G TL + TSX sales: 3,167 + 2,926 = 6,093 (following year was 3,275 + 4,393 = 7,668)
3G TL + TSX sales: 5,853 + 1,851 = 7,704 (following year was 7,211 + 3,004 = 10,215)

Sure you can say the ILX is a flop.. but then the TLX should fill that market gap alone..
The AWD & I4 TLX has been having supply issues, and can't keep up with demand, and the V6 had the stop sale order. The ILX was 2 mths away from a midcyle update that included major enhancements to the powertrain, content, and refinement, I'm actually surprised they sold any in December. If you want to ignore all those things, more power to you, but i don't think its reasonable to look at the numbers without acknowledging them.

Those things don't change anything I posted above either, and again, no one said that the TLX just hit a grand slam, just maybe a double or triple. It's still a source of optimism as it's a complete reversal of the sales of what they were fielding in the segment for the last 6 yrs, and a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-11-2015 at 12:19 PM.
a35tl (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015 | 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

^ I agree but there are some here that feel that the TLX must outsell the 3G in order to be successful. As I have asked before, by whose standard is the success measured? We can go round and round all day about and even be ridiculed for our opinions but what ends?
Old 02-11-2015 | 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

IMHO or not so humble opinion this is a circular debate. The TLX has lost sales for each of the months listed but there have been a lot of external influences on the numbers that can’t be quantified.

Think waiting for March, April, May & June returns will tell if the car is a success or not by whatever yardstick you want to use.

Quick Reply: Honda Acura Sales Going Through the Roof: Is This the Start of a Winning Streak?