Glass Coatings/Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glass Coatings/Paint Protection

So just picked up my 2018 TLX and plan on keeping it 10+ years. I have never paid much attention to the high end waxes and protective coatings before. I saw some reference to them here in another thread but wonder if anyone has had them applied before. They arent cheap, but if they last a long time I might consider doing it. There is a local place here that deals with a couple of them.

Car Paint Coating Protection Orlando FL | Superior Detailer

My concerns are that is may damage the clearcoat/paint over the long haul or might wear off much faster than the advertise. Worst case is I just go back to waxing it every 6 months or so, but getting lazy as I get older...

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
I just did this same research for my 2018 TLX and settled on the following:

1) car wash
2) clay bar
3) Klasse All in one
4) Klasse high gloss sealant

Klasse was dealt easy to use (all in one works on glass too - better than rain x) and will last many months with the occasional car wash (but no clay bar).

Also a small bit goes a long way so the $60 I spent on the clay bars and Klasse kit (with applicators) will last me several years with my two cars.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
This truck is now 20 years old with its original paint. Its lived outdoors 24/7 X 365/366. Its been detailed 3 times washed maybe once a month & polished about once every 3 years or so.

I have never been a slave to the car polish thing. Clear coat paint needs very little attention to stay looking good unless its crappy paint. Would hope a entry level premium car would have decent paint on it. Certainly better than a $15K pickup truck.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. At the point lately where having time to wash/wax the car well is not easily done so hoping someone may have this before and get their inputs. Did some searching and seeing mixed results in other car forums (not worth the cost to looks great after 3 years).
Old 08-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by egorss78
Thanks for the replies guys. At the point lately where having time to wash/wax the car well is not easily done so hoping someone may have this before and get their inputs. Did some searching and seeing mixed results in other car forums (not worth the cost to looks great after 3 years).
Look into Optimum Car Care. Ive used their sealant numerous times, actually use it as a drying aid. Suppose to last 4-6 months. They also sell 2-3 different types of coatings that last several years. Believe prices are reasonable. I would clay and polish your car before applying anything tho. Your car is new so it shouldnt need compounded unless the dealer swirled it up before delivery.