Fuel requirement

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Fuel requirement

I notice the TLX has gone from "Premium Fuel Only" to "Premium Fuel Recommended".

I think that gives you the option of using Mid-grade at least, and you might even get away with Regular if you're so inclined.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Not that I would, but you can try a tank of each and check acceleration and mileage, see if it's satisfactory for you. I like to stick with the most power / least chance of knock retard since the tuning is for 93. This is not the same as using 93 when 87 was recommended.

Last edited by 4WDrift; 08-10-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
While im sure car will run fine, people seriously don't understand something

The motors run high compression, which means NOT using premium fuel means you'll get carbon build up (big problem long run). Also, you'll get poorer gas mileage and thus it equals the same to using premium (extra dollars extra mileage). Also, it combusts much better premium fuel, better power and response.

You're spending 30-45 grand on a vehicle, is 5-10$ at the pump a big deal? Premium car, use premium fuel. It actually provides heavy longevity to a motor
The following users liked this post:
mr2core (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by insanik

The motors run high compression, which means NOT using premium fuel means you'll get carbon build up (big problem long run). Also, you'll get poorer gas mileage and thus it equals the same to using premium (extra dollars extra mileage). Also, it combusts much better premium fuel, better power and response.

You're spending 30-45 grand on a vehicle, is 5-10$ at the pump a big deal? Premium car, use premium fuel. It actually provides heavy longevity to a motor
I guess the point is that a lot of the competition tunes their cars for Regular gas, and do it with comparable power and mileage. And in this day of $3.50 or more Premium gasoline, it's a good selling point to be able to use Regular gas that's $0.30-35 a gallon cheaper.

Direct injection and higher combustion chamber temperatures take care of the carbon if an engine is engineered right, so I don't consider that a big factor.

Contrary to some people's feelings, I also don't think it makes a car less premium to use Regular gas. I think it's something that people are looking for.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
Acura_Dude (08-11-2014), Monte TLS,MAX (08-16-2014), Rocket_man (08-13-2014), Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
anybody know if it's ok to put 110 in the tank?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The Accord V6 has a compression ratio of 10.5:1, the I4 (direct injection) has a ratio 11.1:1. Both run on regular.

The TLX V6 has a compression ratio of 11.5:1 and premium is recommended.

I didn't even know premium fuel used to be required for Acura vehicles because I did notice premium is now only recommended for the TLX.

$5-10/fill-up is not much but that is already my 8-year extended warranty there.

Last edited by internalaudit; 08-11-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I guess the point is that a lot of the competition tunes their cars for Regular gas, and do it with comparable power and mileage. And in this day of $3.50 or more Premium gasoline, it's a good selling point to be able to use Regular gas that's $0.30-35 a gallon cheaper.

Direct injection and higher combustion chamber temperatures take care of the carbon if an engine is engineered right, so I don't consider that a big factor.

Contrary to some people's feelings, I also don't think it makes a car less premium to use Regular gas. I think it's something that people are looking for.

lol what!? Competition? the TLX competition is A4, BMW3, benz c-class...

All of these use premium.

Even brand new KIA optimas say regular gas is fine but eventually causes issues.

it's just FACT that cars run better, and perform better, and have better longeivity with premium fuel

People who are trying to save a buck at the pump shouldn't be buying premium cars if they can't afford it.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i4 can use regular gas? Where do you find that?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lhn9021
i4 can use regular gas? Where do you find that?
No, specs only indicate that premium fuel is recommended (as oppose to required).

I probably will test a few full tanks of 87 and 89 octane to find out if there will be any drastic reduction in MPG. I did some reading over the weekend and it seems the lost in MPG can be attributed to two things:
  • ethanol content in regular and mid-grade gasoline
  • delay of the combustion/detonation of fuel/air mixture when ping/knock is sensed (or something to that effect when lower octane fuel is used and when ECU is set up to work with 91 octane).
Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM
AcurAdmirer

lol what!? Competition? the TLX competition is A4, BMW3, benz c-class...

All of these use premium.

Even brand new KIA optimas say regular gas is fine but eventually causes issues.

it's just FACT that cars run better, and perform better, and have better longeivity with premium fuel

People who are trying to save a buck at the pump shouldn't be buying premium cars if they can't afford it.
LOL, what? You mean it's stupid to save money? Wow, that's a condescending attitude. Many people who can afford to buy premium cars are able to do so precisely because they've made good buying decisions in their lives.

Look, gasoline is a necessity, not a badge of social or financial status. People don't look longingly at the guy pumping Premium and say to themselves, "Man, I wish I could be like him."

Hell, if I could run my RLX on kerosene I'd do it. I'd much rather spend my money on other things, not something that just goes up in "smoke" like gas.

As for competition, it depends on what you consider the competition to be. You can run Regular in the V6 Genesis and the V6 Accord and lots of other cars. And I don't buy your notion that modern cars just run better, perform better and have better longevity on Premium gas. That's urban legend.

The following 7 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
Acura_Dude (08-11-2014), BookemDanole (08-11-2014), CoquiTSX (08-11-2014), emanon256 (08-11-2014), internalaudit (08-11-2014), Rocket_man (08-13-2014), ultimate_ed (08-11-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I notice the TLX has gone from "Premium Fuel Only" to "Premium Fuel Recommended".

I think that gives you the option of using Mid-grade at least, and you might even get away with Regular if you're so inclined.

Never use mid-grade. Ever. Go regular or go premium. Mudguard charges you extra for something you don't need, and the gas in the pump sits the longest as it is the least used of the three grades.
internalaudit (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
if it's recommended, why NOT use it?
DLCU2 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 PM
AcurAdmirer

Here's a little tidbit from the U. S. Government Federal Trade Commission:

"Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual."

back in the good old days when cars had carburetors and points, fuel metering and spark timing were a hit-or-miss proposition, and carbon buildup and knocking were fairly common problems. But with today's direct injection and computer control of timing and spark advance, Premium gas isn't normally required except in high-compression or high-stress applications using turbochargers or superchargers.

Source

Last edited by Mike_TX; 08-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by ggesq
if it's recommended, why NOT use it?
If it's not necessary, why use it?

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
emanon256 (08-11-2014), internalaudit (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

"Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual."

back in the good old days when cars had carburetors and points, fuel metering and spark timing were a hit-or-miss proposition, and carbon buildup and knocking were fairly common problems. But with today's direct injection and computer control of timing and spark advance, Premium gas isn't normally required except in high-compression or high-stress applications using turbochargers or superchargers.

Source

That's the thing tho.
Acura's are known to knock

How many of you have felt in the summer months sluggish performance?
this is your engine scaling back timing.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
read the manual

Source
That applies to most regular cars where regular is spec'ed. Then premium is a waste. But Acura says premium is recommended, because it's tuned for it. So are you going to listen to Acura like they tell you to?

I think Acura went from required to recommended to allow for occasional use of regular in emergency situations, due to feedback flack of warranty denials by not using premium exclusively.

Last edited by 4WDrift; 08-11-2014 at 01:42 PM.
a35tl (08-11-2014)
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
LOL, we've now had the obligatory Fuel Grade Thread, can someone start one for Break-in Method and Oil Change intervals?
The following 4 users liked this post by Colin:
blacktsxwagon (08-11-2014), ggesq (08-11-2014), justnspace (08-11-2014), mr2core (08-11-2014)
Instructor

And I don't buy your notion that modern cars just run better, perform better and have better longevity on Premium gas. That's urban legend.

Urban legend? LOL. Ok. I've worked in the mechanic service industry for MANY years.

It's basic mechanics 101, high compression motors dont need premium, but run a lot better doing so. Carbon build up, ethanol levels, it's pretty common knowledge to anyone with basic mechanic knowledge. This has nothing to do with urban legends.

Does Acura get paid by gas companies to list premium? The cars are tuned for premium because they simply perform better. i dont get why this stupid thread always pops up and people argue the PROS of why regular gas is "just fine". 91 octane isnt chemically the same as 87. It's fact and know 91 is better fuel, combusts better etc for these motors.

But im sure the urban legend is just a legend

Last edited by insanik; 08-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by insanik:
DLCU2 (08-12-2014), mr2core (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Azine Jabroni

Source

As a former petroleum engineer and fellow Texas resident, I suggest you to put the recommended fuel in your car.

Your car, whether you put premium or regular in it, is designed to run. Your car will lower its performance to cope with a lower octane fuel. This is particularly critical in Texas, where it's like 100 degrees outside. You're likely ruining your performance running the AC in this heat on regular gasoline.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
a35tl (08-11-2014), Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kurtatx
As a former petroleum engineer and fellow Texas resident, I suggest you to put the recommended fuel in your car.

Your car, whether you put premium or regular in it, is designed to run. Your car will lower its performance to cope with a lower octane fuel. This is particularly critical in Texas, where it's like 100 degrees outside. You're likely ruining your performance running the AC in this heat on regular gasoline.

bro... #UrbanLegend
Old 08-11-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^i can attest the 3rd gen TL pulls timing and knocks on 93 octane.

so, no bro...its not an urban legend
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Acura_Dude (08-11-2014), kurtatx (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
So do i. I use chevron almost exclusively, avg about 265 miles per premium tank and 240 for regular
Old 08-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Racer

Anyone know why the new Mazda3 with a 13:1 compression ratio can run on regular gas?

=====

Didn't know some owners where denied warranty coverage when they used non-premium fuel.

Last edited by internalaudit; 08-11-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2007TL-TypeS
So do i. I use chevron almost exclusively, avg about 265 miles per premium tank and 240 for regular
It probably matters less with Americans were the premium is 20 cents a gallon, someone pointed out that it's 60 cents a gallon difference here in Canada.

I totally understand it's best to use premium on these higher end engines but I will definitely try regular (someone here pointed out mid-grade gets rather stale as people opt for regular or premium) when I do get to purchase a TLX and see if mileage does take a toll for drivers like me who don't drive their cars that hard. I will be going likely for the V6 AWD.

I'm buying extended warranty anyway so that fuel savings will go toward the warranty, haha.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by internalaudit
Anyone know why the new Mazda3 with a 13:1 compression ratio can run on regular gas?

=====

Didn't know some owners where denied warranty coverage when they used non-premium fuel.

Anything 10:1 or higher should use premium.

Also, so many people in this thread saying "ills ave the money for other stuff!!!"

You people do realize with lower grade fuel your mileage drops right? it's seriously all the same in the end.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Azine Jabroni

bro... #UrbanLegend
Except it's not. At all. Nice try, though.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Racer

Anything 10:1 or higher should use premium.

Also, so many people in this thread saying "ills ave the money for other stuff!!!"

You people do realize with lower grade fuel your mileage drops right? it's seriously all the same in the end.
Thanks for your response.

It doesn't matter with a 20 cent premium/gallon but it may matter with a 60 cent premium/gallon.

Wouldn't my extended warranty cover any damages caused by knocks to the engine?

You didn't explain why Mazda3 takes regular though.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
this article discusses why the mazda 3 can run on regular: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...es/2012-mazda3
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Thanks for your response.

It doesn't matter with a 20 cent premium/gallon but it may matter with a 60 cent premium/gallon.

Wouldn't my extended warranty cover any damages caused by knocks to the engine?

You didn't explain why Mazda3 takes regular though.

because it can take it. it doesnt mean youre going to get good mileage out of it
Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
How much extra is Premium from Mid? An extra 10 cents? How large is the tank? Let say 19 gallons.

So are we really going to complain about the extra $1.90 to fill a tank with Premium? What's next? Only getting Liability on insurance? hahahah
Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
this article discusses why the mazda 3 can run on regular: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...es/2012-mazda3
Thanks. Sounds like Honda has at least two of three reasons why it can take regular fuel. The last one probably keeps it from achieving it.

1) DI
2) Similar Bore and Stroke dimensions

TLX V6 -- Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.50 X 3.66
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...121048#trimsel

Mazda3 -- 83.5 x 91.2 or 3.29 x 3.59 inches
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/musa.../specs_M3S.pdf

One thing aiding 12.0:1 acceptability is direct injection. The DI-squirted fuel lowers the temperature of the combustion chamber, thus reducing the likelihood of knock. Also, Mazda's high-pressure DI injects its gasoline with a six-hole spray pattern through a two-phase process, one late in the intake stroke and the other during the compression stroke. (Multiple injection strategy comes directly from the diesel playbook.)

Another trick for lessening the propensity of knock and enhancing efficiency is to select a small bore/large stroke for the desired displacement. A smaller chamber gives faster combustion; less surface area gives less heat loss. Plus, such engine designs are known for commendable low-end torque.

Last edited by internalaudit; 08-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Racer

because it can take it. it doesnt mean youre going to get good mileage out of it
For Mazda3 buyers, I would believe fuel economy is one of the strongest points though so I guess Mazda decided to market it this way -- it's cheaper in the long run as it uses regular gasoline even when it can attain better MPG by using high grade fuel.

Last edited by internalaudit; 08-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
LOL, what? You mean it's stupid to save money? Wow, that's a condescending attitude. Many people who can afford to buy premium cars are able to do so precisely because they've made good buying decisions in their lives.

Look, gasoline is a necessity, not a badge of social or financial status. People don't look longingly at the guy pumping Premium and say to themselves, "Man, I wish I could be like him."

Hell, if I could run my RLX on kerosene I'd do it. I'd much rather spend my money on other things, not something that just goes up in "smoke" like gas.

As for competition, it depends on what you consider the competition to be. You can run Regular in the V6 Genesis and the V6 Accord and lots of other cars. And I don't buy your notion that modern cars just run better, perform better and have better longevity on Premium gas. That's urban legend.

Agree on the urban legend, maybe it's me but I don't look/care what the other person @ the pump is putting in their car. AFAIK Top Tier detergents packages are the same regardless of octane, not sure about "non Top Tier".
Old 08-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Never use mid-grade. Ever. Go regular or go premium. Mudguard charges you extra for something you don't need, and the gas in the pump sits the longest as it is the least used of the three grades.
I stray away from 89 for this reason. When I had my old Accord (first car, 20 years ago) it ran best on 89. It knocked and felt like it was down on power when I ran 87. And with only about 80 horses, you knew when it was down on power. It felt the same when running 89 or 93, but consistently got the best gas mileage running 89. Never could explain it, it was just a finicky old carbureted engine. Anyway, I would look at the odometer on the gas pumps. In most cases the 87 octane pump was around 20x higher than the 89.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI - We have a Mazda 3 and get 40 mpg + on the highway using 87 octane gas and no knocking problems at all.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, I should have expected to get beaten up for saying using Premium isn't necessary. It's such an emotional thing for some reason.

Octane is just a measure of a fuel's resistance to knock. Period. It's NOT a measure of its power. Sorry, it's just not, despite what you might have been told.

Per the Consumer Energy Center:

"There is little difference in energy content of regular versus premium gasoline. They both contain about 111,400 British Thermal Units [btu's] of energy per gallon."

Here's the skinny: Your engine has computer-controlled timing/spark advance, combined with knock sensors that listen for detonation. The system actually "tunes" your engine on-the-go, and adjusts for differences in gasolines as well as altitude, temperature, and other factors.

Acura recommends Premium fuel for a couple of reasons:

1. They have paid a ton of money and spent thousands of hours getting their engines certified by the EPA and other agencies for a given fuel. It's a costly and time-consuming process, and they don't want to do it for 3 different grades of gasoline. Plus, gasolines can vary a little from state to state and area to area, further complicating things.

2. They're playing it safe. They are responsible under warranty for repairs to your engine, and they understandably want to give themselves all the wiggle room they can. So they recommend the "best" fuel they can, and Premium generally has a better chance of having detergent additives than Regular. Top-Tier gasolines have the same detergent additives in all grades.

But it's still significant that they changed the language from "Required" to "Recommended".

People still cling to their old ideas about gas and don't want to listen to facts. I guess the gasoline company advertisements have been really effective. :wink:

Last edited by Mike_TX; 08-11-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Source

That may have been true in the past or with some engines, but the Problem is in modern engines (especially the J series) the ECU is detecting it and it really starts to pull timing, Ive seen well over 45 deg pulled on the J series. You will never hear knock to tell you if you should be running premium or regular, the ecu will pull timing so that it doesnt happen.
ggesq (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
That may have been true in the past or with some engines, but the Problem is in modern engines (especially the J series) the ECU is detecting it and it really starts to pull timing, Ive seen well over 45 deg pulled on the J series. You will never hear knock to tell you if you should be running premium or regular, the ecu will pull timing so that it doesnt happen.
So the only consequence is worst MPG if using sub-optimal octane rated fuel?

If additives are about the same for regular and premium, would carbon build up be an issue? With direct injection, the fuel additives probably don't matter as they don't wash away the engine components, unlike non-DI engines, correct?

It seems Toyota has taken care of this issue with port injectors. Not sure if BMW or Audi have been able to fixed their carbon build up issues.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

If additives are about the same for regular and premium, would carbon build up be an issue? With direct injection, the fuel additives probably don't matter as they don't wash away the engine components, unlike non-DI engines, correct?

It seems Toyota has taken care of this issue with port injectors. Not sure if BMW or Audi have been able to fixed their carbon build up issues.
The biggest thing is if the engine is designed and tuned to run optimally on a specific grade fuel ie.. 91 running less than will result in the cars ecu doing what it has to (which usually is) to reduce knock buy pulling timing, adding fuel resulting in less hp and less efficiency. You will probably get more carbon build up (which seems to be a side effect of many DI engines) than usual. Same can be said going the other way as well. If the car only requires 87 adding 91 or higher isnt going to give you more power. (talking NA engines, Fi is a whole different set of scenarios)
The following 4 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
ggesq (08-12-2014), internalaudit (08-12-2014), kurtatx (08-12-2014), litesout (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
So how are they saving money if they're getting less MPG?

On the Infiniti Owner's manual for my G coupe. It says I can use Regular if No Premium is available. But Warns me not to smash on the gas and to fill it with Premium asap.

Quick Reply: Fuel requirement