F30 Owner Going for a TLX Test Drive: What Pitfalls Should I be Looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LMK5
Have you tried out the 2018 infotainment system? I heard it's supposed to be 30% faster.

It's always difficult to decide whether to go with the present model at a discount or the new one with improvements but at a better price.
i had a 2007 TSX and the Navi from the 2015 TLX might be slower I can't tell. That's a bad thing if I can't tell the difference between the two because they are years apart. About time they stop being cheap asses and upgraded the Navi system. Finally got Apple Car play.

When i test drove the I4 DCT I experienced jerks but not as bad as the V6.

Again 2015 models had problems because of software updates to the transmission needed updated. How the transmissions from 2015-2017 are made the same way. The safety recalls the transmissions had were both to "fix" the jerks and other things they missed. No hardware was change, it's exactly the same. Still a dog clutch by nature, which means still hesitant shifts you experienced and jerks. Check with people who drove this car a lot of miles and they will tell you it jerks. Seems like the ones that say it doesn't only drove the car only a little while.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, finally took the test drive. Drove an i4 and a V6 FWD. You know how it is with test drives--can't tell with everything but you get an impression. Here's my take on the i4 with tech:

Pros
1) Quiet and smooth ride
2) Comfortable seat
3) ELS audio quite good
4) Aggressively priced (28.9k with no negotiation)
5) Lots of features
6) Reasonable acceleration

Cons
1) Some float in the suspension
2) Cabin doesn't feel very upmarket
3) Instrument cluster is legible, but uninteresting.
3) Navigation maps and infotainment in general appears slow/dated. When changing audio sources, the source menu appeared quite dim.

Questions
1) I only listened to the ELS via USB audio when the car was at idle, and I iked it. If I listen to it while driving, will the ANC change the character of the sound noticeably?
2) Problems with jerky transmissions (rough shifting) in these cars appears to be common from all the posts on the Net. Does anybody here know whether the issues in the 8AT have been largely resolved for MY2017? Any way to truly tell during a test drive?
In your PROs and CONs of going from a BMW F30 to a TLX, you did not mention 2 major differences: price and reliability. As far as price, the TLX is comparatively feature rich at each trim level, particularly at the base. While BMW's have been more reliable in the past decade, they have also decreased the included maintenance by one year and remove brake rotors and pads. Honda's are quite a bit more reliable, and parts & maintenance is comparatively cheap.

I believe some of your cons would be removed if you wait for the 2018 mid cycle refresh.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:03 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_pup
In your PROs and CONs of going from a BMW F30 to a TLX, you did not mention 2 major differences: price and reliability. As far as price, the TLX is comparatively feature rich at each trim level, particularly at the base. While BMW's have been more reliable in the past decade, they have also decreased the included maintenance by one year and remove brake rotors and pads. Honda's are quite a bit more reliable, and parts & maintenance is comparatively cheap.

I believe some of your cons would be removed if you wait for the 2018 mid cycle refresh.
No doubt BMW doesn't give you a lot of features unless you pay up big time. But I think you're a little off base in the reliability department. BMW as a whole is higher on the reliability list than both Honda and Acura, according to the latest Consumer Reports rankings. Strange but true. Also, the TLX has the lowest predicted reliability score according to CR. So one can't shop for a TLX with reliability in mind unless they're ignoring CR. Low reliability is definitely new territory for Honda/Acura, but the data is what it is. FWIW, my 2013 Honda Odyssey had to have the engine rebuilt at 45k miles due to a widespread engine misfire issue.

Also, to add to your point, BMW has also eliminated wiper blades (no joke) from the maintenance plan.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
No doubt BMW doesn't give you a lot of features unless you pay up big time. But I think you're a little off base in the reliability department. BMW as a whole is higher on the reliability list than both Honda and Acura, according to the latest Consumer Reports rankings. Strange but true. Also, the TLX has the lowest predicted reliability score according to CR. So one can't shop for a TLX with reliability in mind unless they're ignoring CR. Low reliability is definitely new territory for Honda/Acura, but the data is what it is. FWIW, my 2013 Honda Odyssey had to have the engine rebuilt at 45k miles due to a widespread engine misfire issue.

Also, to add to your point, BMW has also eliminated wiper blades (no joke) from the maintenance plan.

i made the the mistake of believing Acura still holds the title of Top Reliability and Resale value. It's not the case anymore, I think Toyota holds that title now, I think I saw somewhere it compares with Kia. So either Kia has upped their game or Acura starting sucking. I know I lost a lot on the resale and I'm pretty sure this car isn't reliabilitble based on how many times I've been to the dealership compared to my 2007 TSX. Lost count how many times I've been to the dealership.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
Toyotas the leader is resale value? lol