Notices

Extremely uncomfortable seats?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Extremely uncomfortable seats?

I bought my 16 TLX V6 tech two months ago. When i test drove the car it felt very comfortable. The next day after more than a 20 minute test drive, my back and legs started feeling very uncomfortable. After 2 months now and serveral attempts to changing seat configuration, still having trouble with seat comfort. Has any one experienced this? I drove my rsx for ten years and i never had any comfort issues.
The following users liked this post:
daschwa (03-02-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Im not a big fan of the seats in my TLX. Its been 3 years and I still cant find a comfortable position. Modern seats are designed for safety and support, not comfort. I had to have adjusted the seat around 10 times today, coming home from work.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by theredia92 View Post
Im not a big fan of the seats in my TLX. Its been 3 years and I still cant find a comfortable position. Modern seats are designed for safety and support, not comfort. I had to have adjusted the seat around 10 times today, coming home from work.
Man that is not what i wanted to hear . I lile the car but its driving me crazy. Same as you some days i need to re aduadu the seat several times. Once i get a comfy spot minutes later it no longer is
Old 03-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by merejo View Post
Man that is not what i wanted to hear . I lile the car but its driving me crazy. Same as you some days i need to re aduadu the seat several times. Once i get a comfy spot minutes later it no longer is
My main issue with the seat is the lumbar support. I like the backrest to be as flat as a board. In the TLX, even with the lumbar fully retracted, the seat still has a decent amount of lower lumbar "support". That makes my back hurt for hours after just a 30+ min drive. My solution to this is to have the backrest more upright than I would like, and that causes other comfort issues. Next week the lease is up on mine. I love the car regardless of the comfort issue, so if I do decide on buying it out, I plan on pulling out the driver's seat, tearing it apart, and removing the lumbar system altogether.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 272 Likes on 173 Posts
After driving home on the day I purchased my '13 TL, my back was sore from the seat. After the first day, I never felt soreness again and ended up really enjoying the comfort of the seat. The exact same thing happened the day I picked up my '16 TLX. I've driven it several times 3 + hours at a time and always feel comfortable. Am sorry you're having difficulties with the seating comfort.
F23A4 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Received 211 Likes on 153 Posts
Over the past 3yrs I've owned the car I've switched the seats at least a hundred times. I've also worked on my own posture and have ended up closer to the steering wheel. I've always found the seats to be comfortable, but just in general I can't sit very long in the same position comfortably....

I would say the seat cushions are a bit softer that a few other brands. I do wish the 2015 had leg extensions and I think it'd be perfect.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
YES, been meaning to make this thread as well. I'm 6'2" and have fiddled with the seating positions almost every time I drive the car, in contrast drove my '04 TSX for 130K miles and never touched my seat. I've thought about it enough and narrowed down to factors I think contribute to it, for me at least:

1. Steering Wheel: The steering wheel doesn't extend out far enough to accomodate my leg/arm length if out too far, feel disconnected and have to reach on turns, if I move closer I get....
2. Foot pain: since my legs are "squished", my foot/ankle has a balancing act of lifting / resting / depressing the throttle pedal and made worse by
3. Soft Gas Pedal: A very soft gas pedal does not allow me to rest my foot on the pedal without accelerating and finally
4. Lousy Bolsters: Taking even moderately aggressive turns I get flung around like a rag doll. Feel like I'm sitting on the seat, not in the seat.

For #3, I've gone so far as to insall a stiffer spring in the accelrator pedal. Was going to post a "How to" with my findings and what kind of spring to buy, etc.. but didn't after I thought twice about the reprecusions of telling the world about modding an accelerator pedal. If anyone is interested, PM me.

I've test driven multiple cars (Mazda 6, 2nd Gen TSX, Buick Regal) looking for a replacement with more comfort but can't find the ideal mix of what TLX brings for the price I could get out of my car. It kills me cause I outright own my TLX and there's nothing "wrong" with it other than I can't get comfortable....which is a problem.

Last edited by daschwa; 03-02-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by daschwa View Post
YES, been meaning to make this thread as well. I'm 6'2" and have fiddled with the seating positions almost every time I drive the car, in contrast drove my '04 TSX for 130K miles and never touched my seat. I've thought about it enough and narrowed down to factors I think contribute to it, for me at least:

1. Steering Wheel: The steering wheel doesn't extend out far enough to accomodate my leg/arm length if out too far, feel disconnected and have to reach on turns, if I move closer I get....
2. Foot pain: since my legs are "squished", my foot/ankle has a balancing act of lifting / resting / depressing the throttle pedal and made worse by
3. Soft Gas Pedal: A very soft gas pedal does not allow me to rest my foot on the pedal without accelerating and finally
4. Lousy Bolsters: Taking even moderately aggressive turns I get flung around like a rag doll. Feel like I'm sitting on the seat, not in the seat.

For #3, I've gone so far as to insall a stiffer spring in the accelrator pedal. Was going to post a "How to" with my findings and what kind of spring to buy, etc.. but didn't after I thought twice about the reprecusions of telling the world about modding an accelerator pedal. If anyone is interested, PM me.

I've test driven multiple cars (Mazda 6, 2nd Gen TSX, Buick Regal) looking for a replacement with more comfort but can't find the ideal mix of what TLX brings for the price I could get out of my car. It kills me cause I outright own my TLX and there's nothing "wrong" with it other than I can't get comfortable....which is a problem.

​​​​​​ThThat the thing that annoys me, my 06 rsx i never had to mess eith the seat. I just found what was comfortable and left it as that. With these seats it seems to be comfortable for a few minutes then the comfort goes away
Old 03-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I wonder if the newer TLX seats, are possible to drop into older model years....
Old 03-02-2019, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
I wonder if the newer TLX seats, are possible to drop into older model years....
Thats a good question, are they any different though?

I'm glad I am not crazy though and other people are having this issue.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by merejo View Post
Thats a good question, are they any different though?

I'm glad I am not crazy though and other people are having this issue.
I sat in an A-Spec model some time last year and remember the seats feeling more comfortable. The bolstering was better, felt like it had a bit more cushion, the extending leg rest was pretty good. Just overall comfier. However, the real test is in a 20-30min drive or so. I still find my seats to be comfortable, finally found the best position for me, just wish we had leg extensions.

Most likely the wiring harnesses would be different though.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 478 Likes on 319 Posts
Aside from local driving, I’ve driven my old 16 TLX on two road trips between central NJ, Cincy and Nashville. I felt perfectly fine after each excursion.

i suppose we all have differences with our comfort levels. At an athletic 5’11, 215lbs, the standard seats have served me well.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love the seats in mine. I am 6 foot, 210. Maybe size has some to do with it?
Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Robs252 View Post
I love the seats in mine. I am 6 foot, 210. Maybe size has some to do with it?
I am 5'10 and weight 160lbs so dont think so. I do have lower back problems but my rsx i never had any problems. My gfs ciciv no issues driving 3 hours straight. My family's vw same. I never really though seat comfort would be an issue in any car. Obvs when i test drove it i thought they were very comfortable, hopefully ill get used to it bc i do like the car
Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,503 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The A-Spec seats are awesome. That movable thigh bolster makes a HUGE difference in leg comfort for me. I'm 5'10" and about 175 pounds, very long legs. I could make the seats fit me pretty well. I bet they'd drop into an older TLX.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow so I am not the only one. Probably the worst seats of any car i have had. I have made a gazillion changes to the driving position to get a comfortable setting, many times while driving. Its not too bad now but it hurts my back even on slightly longish drives. Biggest pain areas are lower to middle back and not enough support for under thigh area.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 545 Likes on 278 Posts
seats in my 2015 and 2016 were very comfortable, but my 2018 ASPec Elite are better bolstered and take then to another level. Don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Update: Im guessing my body has molded into the seats. They are no where near as uncomfortable as before, I am enjoying the car more!
a35tl (03-31-2019)