AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Extremely uncomfortable seats? (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/extremely-uncomfortable-seats-977605/)

merejo 03-01-2019 01:08 PM

Extremely uncomfortable seats?

I bought my 16 TLX V6 tech two months ago. When i test drove the car it felt very comfortable. The next day after more than a 20 minute test drive, my back and legs started feeling very uncomfortable. After 2 months now and serveral attempts to changing seat configuration, still having trouble with seat comfort. Has any one experienced this? I drove my rsx for ten years and i never had any comfort issues.

theredia92 03-01-2019 03:08 PM

Im not a big fan of the seats in my TLX. Its been 3 years and I still cant find a comfortable position. Modern seats are designed for safety and support, not comfort. I had to have adjusted the seat around 10 times today, coming home from work.

merejo 03-01-2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by theredia92 (Post 16391453)
Im not a big fan of the seats in my TLX. Its been 3 years and I still cant find a comfortable position. Modern seats are designed for safety and support, not comfort. I had to have adjusted the seat around 10 times today, coming home from work.

Man that is not what i wanted to hear . I lile the car but its driving me crazy. Same as you some days i need to re aduadu the seat several times. Once i get a comfy spot minutes later it no longer is

theredia92 03-01-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by merejo (Post 16391454)
Man that is not what i wanted to hear . I lile the car but its driving me crazy. Same as you some days i need to re aduadu the seat several times. Once i get a comfy spot minutes later it no longer is

My main issue with the seat is the lumbar support. I like the backrest to be as flat as a board. In the TLX, even with the lumbar fully retracted, the seat still has a decent amount of lower lumbar "support". That makes my back hurt for hours after just a 30+ min drive. My solution to this is to have the backrest more upright than I would like, and that causes other comfort issues. Next week the lease is up on mine. I love the car regardless of the comfort issue, so if I do decide on buying it out, I plan on pulling out the driver's seat, tearing it apart, and removing the lumbar system altogether.

a35tl 03-01-2019 05:13 PM

After driving home on the day I purchased my '13 TL, my back was sore from the seat. After the first day, I never felt soreness again and ended up really enjoying the comfort of the seat. The exact same thing happened the day I picked up my '16 TLX. I've driven it several times 3 + hours at a time and always feel comfortable. Am sorry you're having difficulties with the seating comfort.

dezymond 03-01-2019 10:54 PM

Over the past 3yrs I've owned the car I've switched the seats at least a hundred times. I've also worked on my own posture and have ended up closer to the steering wheel. I've always found the seats to be comfortable, but just in general I can't sit very long in the same position comfortably....

I would say the seat cushions are a bit softer that a few other brands. I do wish the 2015 had leg extensions and I think it'd be perfect.

daschwa 03-02-2019 09:29 AM

YES, been meaning to make this thread as well. I'm 6'2" and have fiddled with the seating positions almost every time I drive the car, in contrast drove my '04 TSX for 130K miles and never touched my seat. I've thought about it enough and narrowed down to factors I think contribute to it, for me at least:

1. Steering Wheel: The steering wheel doesn't extend out far enough to accomodate my leg/arm length if out too far, feel disconnected and have to reach on turns, if I move closer I get....
2. Foot pain: since my legs are "squished", my foot/ankle has a balancing act of lifting / resting / depressing the throttle pedal and made worse by
3. Soft Gas Pedal: A very soft gas pedal does not allow me to rest my foot on the pedal without accelerating and finally
4. Lousy Bolsters: Taking even moderately aggressive turns I get flung around like a rag doll. Feel like I'm sitting on the seat, not in the seat.

For #3, I've gone so far as to insall a stiffer spring in the accelrator pedal. Was going to post a "How to" with my findings and what kind of spring to buy, etc.. but didn't after I thought twice about the reprecusions of telling the world about modding an accelerator pedal. If anyone is interested, PM me.

I've test driven multiple cars (Mazda 6, 2nd Gen TSX, Buick Regal) looking for a replacement with more comfort but can't find the ideal mix of what TLX brings for the price I could get out of my car. It kills me cause I outright own my TLX and there's nothing "wrong" with it other than I can't get comfortable....which is a problem.

merejo 03-02-2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by daschwa (Post 16391688)
YES, been meaning to make this thread as well. I'm 6'2" and have fiddled with the seating positions almost every time I drive the car, in contrast drove my '04 TSX for 130K miles and never touched my seat. I've thought about it enough and narrowed down to factors I think contribute to it, for me at least:

1. Steering Wheel: The steering wheel doesn't extend out far enough to accomodate my leg/arm length if out too far, feel disconnected and have to reach on turns, if I move closer I get....
2. Foot pain: since my legs are "squished", my foot/ankle has a balancing act of lifting / resting / depressing the throttle pedal and made worse by
3. Soft Gas Pedal: A very soft gas pedal does not allow me to rest my foot on the pedal without accelerating and finally
4. Lousy Bolsters: Taking even moderately aggressive turns I get flung around like a rag doll. Feel like I'm sitting on the seat, not in the seat.

For #3, I've gone so far as to insall a stiffer spring in the accelrator pedal. Was going to post a "How to" with my findings and what kind of spring to buy, etc.. but didn't after I thought twice about the reprecusions of telling the world about modding an accelerator pedal. If anyone is interested, PM me.

I've test driven multiple cars (Mazda 6, 2nd Gen TSX, Buick Regal) looking for a replacement with more comfort but can't find the ideal mix of what TLX brings for the price I could get out of my car. It kills me cause I outright own my TLX and there's nothing "wrong" with it other than I can't get comfortable....which is a problem.

​​​​​​ThThat the thing that annoys me, my 06 rsx i never had to mess eith the seat. I just found what was comfortable and left it as that. With these seats it seems to be comfortable for a few minutes then the comfort goes away

dezymond 03-02-2019 09:59 AM

I wonder if the newer TLX seats, are possible to drop into older model years....

merejo 03-02-2019 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by dezymond (Post 16391707)
I wonder if the newer TLX seats, are possible to drop into older model years....

Thats a good question, are they any different though?

I'm glad I am not crazy though and other people are having this issue.

dezymond 03-02-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by merejo (Post 16391709)
Thats a good question, are they any different though?

I'm glad I am not crazy though and other people are having this issue.

I sat in an A-Spec model some time last year and remember the seats feeling more comfortable. The bolstering was better, felt like it had a bit more cushion, the extending leg rest was pretty good. Just overall comfier. However, the real test is in a 20-30min drive or so. I still find my seats to be comfortable, finally found the best position for me, just wish we had leg extensions.

Most likely the wiring harnesses would be different though.

F23A4 03-02-2019 02:08 PM

Aside from local driving, I’ve driven my old 16 TLX on two road trips between central NJ, Cincy and Nashville. I felt perfectly fine after each excursion.

i suppose we all have differences with our comfort levels. At an athletic 5’11, 215lbs, the standard seats have served me well.

Robs252 03-03-2019 05:09 PM

I love the seats in mine. I am 6 foot, 210. Maybe size has some to do with it?

merejo 03-03-2019 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Robs252 (Post 16392223)
I love the seats in mine. I am 6 foot, 210. Maybe size has some to do with it?

I am 5'10 and weight 160lbs so dont think so. I do have lower back problems but my rsx i never had any problems. My gfs ciciv no issues driving 3 hours straight. My family's vw same. I never really though seat comfort would be an issue in any car. Obvs when i test drove it i thought they were very comfortable, hopefully ill get used to it bc i do like the car

neuronbob 03-04-2019 10:10 AM

The A-Spec seats are awesome. That movable thigh bolster makes a HUGE difference in leg comfort for me. I'm 5'10" and about 175 pounds, very long legs. I could make the seats fit me pretty well. I bet they'd drop into an older TLX.

technocrat 03-04-2019 01:43 PM

Wow so I am not the only one. Probably the worst seats of any car i have had. I have made a gazillion changes to the driving position to get a comfortable setting, many times while driving. Its not too bad now but it hurts my back even on slightly longish drives. Biggest pain areas are lower to middle back and not enough support for under thigh area.

mapleloaf 03-05-2019 12:16 AM

seats in my 2015 and 2016 were very comfortable, but my 2018 ASPec Elite are better bolstered and take then to another level. Don't know what to tell you.

merejo 03-31-2019 06:02 PM

Update: Im guessing my body has molded into the seats. They are no where near as uncomfortable as before, I am enjoying the car more!

technocrat 06-18-2019 12:16 PM

My TLX probably has the worst seat on my cars in recent years(08 Accord, 15 Mustang, 11 MDX) over time i have got used to the seats but every now and then I hunt for a more comfortable seating position.

CPR 06-18-2019 02:21 PM

A-Spec seats are better than my other Acura's, but still, the seat bottoms, don't move high or forward enough
I rented a crappy Chevy Malibu, & the seats were more comfortable; lol
I've been after Acura to improve the seat back position for years
I'm 6'0", & 170lbs.; not exactly fat, & I can't get the seat bottoms high enough

KeithL 06-18-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by CPR (Post 16441479)
A-Spec seats are better than my other Acura's, but still, the seat bottoms, don't move high or forward enough
I rented a crappy Chevy Malibu, & the seats were more comfortable; lol
I've been after Acura to improve the seat back position for years
I'm 6'0", & 170lbs.; not exactly fat, & I can't get the seat bottoms high enough

Acura needs to do more with seats. The seats in my wife's 19 RDX have more comfortable side bluster support than my ASPEC.

centflatsx 06-18-2019 07:00 PM

19 Tech V6 no issues with the seats as far as bolstering and feeling solid with the back rest. Though I have adjusted the seats many times over the first three months because they seem to feel a little different at different times I got into the car, however that has settled down now and I'm generally happy with the comfort. Got the thigh extender as well. By chance is anyone largely overweight? Not being silly here but that comes into play as well.

technocrat 06-20-2019 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by centflatsx (Post 16441630)
19 Tech V6 no issues with the seats as far as bolstering and feeling solid with the back rest. Though I have adjusted the seats many times over the first three months because they seem to feel a little different at different times I got into the car, however that has settled down now and I'm generally happy with the comfort. Got the thigh extender as well. By chance is anyone largely overweight? Not being silly here but that comes into play as well.

Whats a thigh extender? I am 5'10 with 180Lbs, not slim but dont think i would qualify as fat LOL

Also by back rest you meant the seat or you use an additional back rest for support?

The very fact that you had to fiddle for 3 months to find a sweet spot shows how not well the seats are designed. None of my other cars took more than a a week or 2 to find a comfy spot.

steig 06-20-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16392456)
The A-Spec seats are awesome. That movable thigh bolster makes a HUGE difference in leg comfort for me. I'm 5'10" and about 175 pounds, very long legs. I could make the seats fit me pretty well. I bet they'd drop into an older TLX.

I agree, my 2018 A-Spec are the best. Very comfortable

centflatsx 06-20-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by technocrat (Post 16442151)
Whats a thigh extender? I am 5'10 with 180Lbs, not slim but dont think i would qualify as fat LOL

Also by back rest you meant the seat or you use an additional back rest for support?

The very fact that you had to fiddle for 3 months to find a sweet spot shows how not well the seats are designed. None of my other cars took more than a a week or 2 to find a comfy spot.

If you have the 18/19 or 20 V6 tech you get a power thigh extender. It's a nice addition. I weigh around the same weight or a few less. Yes I mean the back part of the seat that also adjusts. I don't have an additional cushion. I probably should have been more clear on that. I'm also a bit older in life, not old yet but closing in. So maybe my adjusting is related to my body type. The seats are fine now. It was a new car so it was different after being in the last one for a few years. Apparently the A-Spec seats are nice according to some of the comments.

technocrat 06-25-2019 09:14 PM

Oh good so they add the thigh extenders finally in Acura, that itself should make a good difference. The back one is lumbar support which unfortunately is 2 way and not way unlike the RLX and so far that has not worked for me as it higher than where i need it. Anyways I am going to live with it as its not as bothersome as its used to be but they still are the most uncomfortable seat ever on any of my cars.

Has anyone tried installing the newer seats into the older models or even those which dont have these?

Christopher. 07-01-2019 11:14 PM

I wish the thigh extender worked differently, and, I wish the lumbar support could adjust in height. Otherwise I'm pretty happy w/the V6 "Tech" seats, better than the "Base" model seats.

If you like the car, I guess it's worth replacing the seat with one that is more comfortable to you (to the couple guys who are really having issues w/there seats that I saw in this thread so far). Or, perhaps try a seat cushion, back rest, etc?

Pretty cool that one guy replaced the throttle pedal spring with a stiffer one. I'm used to resting my left foot on the brake basically all the time, and I know that I have focus on not accidentally depressing it slightly or I'll cause problems over time - so I guess I shouldn't say "rest", but rather: I hover my foot on/over the brake pedal. Other people who've been a passenger with me commented that my two-foot driving style is strange, usually only done by race car drivers?

theredia92 07-02-2019 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by theredia92 (Post 16391453)

When my lease ended on my 16' Base, I replaced it with a 19' Tech and I no longer have any issue with seat comfort. I do not know if the seats are different in the Tech other then the real leather, but I haven't had any back issues since.

Christopher. 07-02-2019 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by theredia92 (Post 16447310)
When my lease ended on my 16' Base, I replaced it with a 19' Tech and I no longer have any issue with seat comfort. I do not know if the seats are different in the Tech other then the real leather, but I haven't had any back issues since.

They must be different seats? Or different padding. Because the fake leather on the base model seats is loose and the real leather is taunt/more springy cushions under it so they hold their shape more. I suppose it could possibly be just that the real leather is tighter on the padding and holds it's shape better? It's been a little while since I had the base TLX loaner from having my TLX serviced, I'll look closer next time.

centflatsx 07-03-2019 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by theredia92 (Post 16447310)

The tech seats in the 18 on have more support near the shoulders and yes they are Milano leather which probably conforms better to your body. Coming from a 16 Accord coupe I can feel the difference. I do though adjust the position sometimes. I think that be just me getting older and it's sometimes tougher to get comfortable. Overall I like the seats and the bolstering. Got to get the V6 moving sometimes.

Christopher. 07-06-2019 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by centflatsx (Post 16448226)
The tech seats in the 18 on have more support near the shoulders and yes they are Milano leather which probably conforms better to your body. Coming from a 16 Accord coupe I can feel the difference. I do though adjust the position sometimes. I think that be just me getting older and it's sometimes tougher to get comfortable. Overall I like the seats and the bolstering. Got to get the V6 moving sometimes.

There are basically two things I would change about my '18 "Tech" seats if I could (maybe I can do one of these at least?) : 1) Raise the Lumbar Support (about an inch or two) and 2) have the Thigh Extension slide out, rather than operate like a "lever". The thigh extension just doesn't feel right partially raised and all the way up may not be right for some people. If, instead, it were to SLIDE out, I think that would be superior for those who want it somewhere in the middle?

One thing I think I actually would do, if I'm feeling a little motivated: install some seat ventilation fans. I really would like the cooling of air blowing out the little holes in the perforated leather on hot days.

technocrat 07-16-2019 03:22 PM

How easy or difficult will it be to retrofit A-spec seats into the a 2015? There is a 2018 A-spec TLX locally which is sold by parts. It has the red seats which is making it even more tempting.