Extended warranties

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Extended warranties

I haven't seen much talk of these. Since I haven't been in the market in about 11 years, is anybody getting these? Do they still deal on the cost of the warranties or is it basically a "one price for everybody thing from Honda/Acura" thing? I was going to not get an extended warranty this time around, but am considering it now when you consider the new transmissions and more gadgetry which, I assume, would be covered by the warranty (?).

Opinions?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
They will discount pretty heavily if you negotiate, and there are lots of combinations on length of warranty and mileage. A longer coverage and greater mileage results in a higher cost but the more potential savings from a discount.

Like all other decisions you need to be able to sleep at night with what you have chosen. If getting an extended warranty makes you happy then go for it. Or if you like a bit of a gamble and believe that Acura has made a solid and reliable car that will not break from your type of use then put the money in the bank. If your repairs over 5 or 7 years are less than what you saved then you are a winner.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
I have Geico insurance and they offer Mechanical Breakdown coverage up to 7 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). It comes out to about $70 a year and covers all mechanical issues. $250 deductible. I go that route instead of the Acura extended warranty.
The following users liked this post:
MisterZDX (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I'd get a couple of Acuracare quotes from online Honda/Acura dealers. Then try to have your local dealer match the lowest if you want to finance it with the loan.

Or pay cash for the Acuracare after you purchase the car. The only difference is when you want to cancel it, I think.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by jayb082
I have Geico insurance and they offer Mechanical Breakdown coverage up to 7 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). It comes out to about $70 a year and covers all mechanical issues. $250 deductible. I go that route instead of the Acura extended warranty.
I've heard about that but I'm very skeptical. As it is warranties are already limited and specifically worded to rule out covering anything that is deemed wear and tear and lack of maintenance, negligence, abuse, etc. Even so I'd say dealers are more inclined to cover you even when the repair is in a "grey area". This is because the dealership itself doesn't have much to lose, they are reimbursed by corporate. And secondly they have much more of a interest in keeping their customer happy to encourage brand loyalty.

In my experience with auto insurance, their number one priority in business is to AVOID paying out whenever possible. If they can point a finger, they will. If they take a hit, how do they make up for it at such a low premium? Acura can at least count on a high chance of a loyal customer.

I don't know, that's the way it seems to me; unless people out there have had some really good stories about mechanical breakdown coverage?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Geico extended warranty

I had the Geico warranty with my 2003 MDX (RIP, traded for 2014 MDX), would never get that warranty again. First of all, the cost increases every year; trust me, you will be paying almost as much over the 7 years you keep the warranty as you would if you bought Acuracare. Second, my 03 MDX needed motor mounts around 60K miles, I had to fight with Geico to get the warranty to cover the repair; Geico demanded to talk to the dealer and get a written explanation before they would approve. And they they only paid a portion of the repair, that's when I dropped the coverage.

I love Geico, have had them for years, but the MBI is a bunch of BS.
The following 3 users liked this post by ayanomich:
4WDrift (09-12-2014), Acura_Dude (08-29-2014), rockyfeller (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by jayb082
Exactly what I have. Salesman tried hard to push an extended warranty on me and I declined. I recently refinanced with my credit union and they also tried to push a warranty on me. The way I see it, if I keep the car long enough and by the time the 7 years or 100,000 miles are up, the car would be already paid off at least 2 years before. My plan is to continue saving the same amount as if I am still paying a car note, and whatever goes wrong after the 7 years, pay for it cash. Besides, if bought new you already have a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty anyway. My goal is to pay my car off before those 4 years.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When I bought our 2015 RDX tech,I told myself that I would never give in to the pressure of the salesman to buy an extended warranty.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I did buy the 120k/96 month AcuraCare policy.I plan on keeping that long,or longer I told myself,and I guess the scare tactics worked.There is so much going on with the electronics and hi-tech items,and I could just see the tranny going out at 71000k like one of our customers.
My problem is that I did not know that you could defer and buy it up to 6 months later with no penalty.If I did,I would have researched it more.I don't know if I would have done it knowing what I know now...

When the policy comes in the mail,and you read the fine print,there are a lot of limitations.First it says everything's covered,with no deductable......then there is a HUGE list of what's not covered....For that I feel like I was duped. That,and knowing how much they made off of the sale of the policy for just twisting your arm.GRRRRR

I liked the fact that it was not a 3rd party insurance policy.I've heard bad things about those.
What's done is done..I hope I never have to use it,and if I do,it actually covers something to make me glad I bought it!

Steve

Last edited by ossaguy; 08-25-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ossaguy
When I bought our 2015 RDX tech,I told myself that I would never give in to the pressure of the salesman to buy an extended warranty.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I did buy the 120k/96 month AcuraCare policy.I plan on keeping that long,or longer I told myself,and I guess the scare tactics worked.There is so much going on with the electronics and hi-tech items,and I could just see the tranny going out at 71000k like one of our customers.
My problem is that I did not know that you could defer and buy it up to 6 months later with no penalty.If I did,I would have researched it more.I don't know if I would have done it knowing what I know now...

When the policy comes in the mail,and you read the fine print,there are a lot of limitations.First it says everything's covered,with no deductable......then there is a HUGE list of what's not covered....For that I feel like I was duped. That,and knowing how much they made off of the sale of the policy for just twisting your arm.GRRRRR

I liked the fact that it was not a 3rd party insurance policy.I've heard bad things about those.
What's done is done..I hope I never have to use it,and if I do,it actually covers something to make me glad I bought it!

Steve
I read somewhere that you can cancel an Acura extended warranty within 60 days of purchase. Assuming that you are within 60 days, you might want to look into it.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Advanced

Darn it! Missed it by ten days....
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ If you bought Acuracare, you can cancel it anytime. Don't know about 3rd party warranty.

If it was rolled into your car loan, your lender will receive the prorated refund. Call them and see if they can apply it to the principle.

If it was bought after the car purchase, you'll get a check from Acura.
ossaguy (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the tip! I did call to ask about it,they said I just need to get the paperwork from the dealer,and get it sent in.They never told me at the dealership that it could be cancelled/refunded.

Now I'll reread carefully the policy,and make sure it's something I want to do,now that I know I can.I'd hate to have it bite me in the butt!I feel like like I've been granted a second chance to make an informed purchase.

Steve
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ Good luck.

If you pay more than 3K for the warranty, I'd cancel. It should be in the 1500 range.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced

So I went in to the dealership to get the cancellation paper,and when I told them I thought that I was overcharged at $3600.00,because so many here have had it for about half that.

They said I'm crazy,and showed me on their computer that it should have cost me around $3900.00 (!) and they already gave me a nice discount.

Today,I will be mailing it in,and after I get the check,I will likely buy the policy from one of the retailers that was suggested in here,for $1600.00

For that plan,it's a 7 tr.100k with a $10 deductable, vs the 120k/with 0 deductable,but I'd be happy with that.At that price,I would feel better about the little extra peace of mind that I would have.

So what a huge savings! I'm sure glad I joined this site.

Thanks,
Steve
hadokenuh (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Assuming you move forward with another extended warranty, I would not get anything other than an Acura Care warranty. You won't have to worry about "reasonable and customary charges" or preauthorization. It is an Acura backed factory extended warranty.
Saccucci and Bernardi are both brick and mortar dealers and have very competitive pricing. You will do well with either one. I personally have purchased two Acura Care warranties from Bernardi and another AZ member - ceb, has purchased multiple from Saccucci.
The following 2 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
Acura_Dude (08-29-2014), ossaguy (08-29-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
I echo this. I bought mine through curryacuracare.com . Again, it is just a brick and mortar dealer that has this as a side business. The cost was about 1000 below what the selling dealer would have charged. It is also important to keep in mind that the Acuracare warranty can be bought all the way up until the end of the standard 4yr/50K. You save a little bit by buying the warranty up front, but I imagine it would be much less than the money you would earn by saving/investing for that four year period. Just my
rickd (09-03-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced

I'll be sure ask for quotes of buying it early,vs late when I go to buy.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Mu understanding is that AcuraCare is one of the best extended warranties for the vehicle however it is not exactly as inclusive as the first 4 years of bumper to bumper from the factory though. As noted, you can get one right up until the factory warranty expires. Not sure if it's cheaper at the beginning, think it may be. Anyway, I would recommend anyone go through Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda. It was the cheapest anywhere, most local dealers quoted me 2 to 3X as much and the process is pretty straight forward. May be able to work this into a new sale somehow, let him know that, see what he recommends.

http://hyannishondacare.com/contact.php
Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Bernardi was able to write an extended warranty for me that Bob couldn't. We bought a used Accord and was waaaay under on mileage but just a little over on time. Don't know what the difference was on the other side but it worked for us via Bernardi.
Never got to the point of comparing costs and at the time I was not aware of Saccuci.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
^Can only speak for my experience and what the results were while shopping personally, time and mileage will factor into it as well and the plan specifics. There are lots of other warranties out there as well but as far as Honda or Acura Care warranties specifically, think it needs to be in the time and mileage range, helps if you actually buy the car from a particular dealer as well. All dealers have different products available and there are other players in the online warranty game. Bernardi and Saccuci are the other two and I think Curry is trying to get in on the action as well. Shop them all and call a few locals, only works in our favor.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Advanced

So I went in to the dealership to get the cancellation paper,and when I told them I thought that I was overcharged at $3600.00,because so many here have had it for about half that.

They said I'm crazy,and showed me on their computer that it should have cost me around $3900.00 (!) and they already gave me a nice discount.

Today,I will be mailing it in,and after I get the check,I will likely buy the policy from one of the retailers that was suggested in here,for $1600.00

For that plan,it's a 7 tr.100k with a $10 deductable, vs the 120k/with 0 deductable,but I'd be happy with that.At that price,I would feel better about the little extra peace of mind that I would have.

So what a huge savings! I'm sure glad I joined this site.

Thanks,
Steve

Here's an update.. I got a letter back today saying the check is in the mail, minus $108.00 (!) that they are holding back.I was only about 2 weeks past the 60 day mark,and only about 2500 miles on the odometer.I can't believe they deduct that much for so little time or miles.What a ripoff! I read in the booklet that after 60 days,there is a $25.00 or a 10% charge based on milage,whichever is less. I'm going to call to see if I read it wrong.Sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth....at any rate,an expensive lesson learned!

Steve
Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Based upon 2500 miles out of 120,000 warranty (2% of mileage) you should only have been deducted $75. And considering that the first 50,000 miles is factory warranty, the extended warranty basically covers 70,000 miles (from 50,000 to 120,000). So, actually, none of the extended warranty had been used yet.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced

I talked to them today,and they explained that I was at 97% ( I thought I did it at 2500,but it was 2800 miles,out of 120k.Then they add the $25.00 fee on top of that.so I guess it sounds legit...and I guess I should not whine about it....but it just adds to the overall crummy buying experience I have had when you add that to everything else.

No wonder Acura is voted the most hated car company.They could not buy better negative advertizing if they wanted.

I hate learning lessons like this!

Steve
Old 09-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Prices from Hyannis - Yo.

Attached Thumbnails Extended warranties-acuracare.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
ossaguy (09-12-2014), Rocketsfan (09-24-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

I talked to them today,and they explained that I was at 97% ( I thought I did it at 2500,but it was 2800 miles,out of 120k.Then they add the $25.00 fee on top of that.so I guess it sounds legit...and I guess I should not whine about it....but it just adds to the overall crummy buying experience I have had when you add that to everything else.

No wonder Acura is voted the most hated car company.They could not buy better negative advertizing if they wanted.

I hate learning lessons like this!

Steve
I wouldn't blame them. Other manufactures do the same. At least I know for sure Nissan does the same thing from my personal experience. $100 is cheap for the lesson. You would've over spent more than $1000 for it
Old 09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced

I understand,but it just irks me to know that the policy does not get used or take effect unitil after the factory warranty ends,so for the first 4yr or 50k,it didn't cost them anything.It would be more fair to consumers to pro-rate it when it actually kicks in,at a whole different level of return for them at that point.

I agree that the 108.00 is a cheap lesson.I am grateful that at least I can get that much back,instead of nothing.

Steve
Old 09-12-2014, 12:18 PM

I'm glad it worked out overall for you. You can look at it as glass half full - $2000+ back in your wallet or glass half empty - out $108. Yes an expensive lesson but overall you are way ahead of those who paid the $3600 and aren't members of AZ.
ossaguy (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
I understand,but it just irks me to know that the policy does not get used or take effect unitil after the factory warranty ends,so for the first 4yr or 50k,it didn't cost them anything.It would be more fair to consumers to pro-rate it when it actually kicks in,at a whole different level of return for them at that point.

I agree that the 108.00 is a cheap lesson.I am grateful that at least I can get that much back,instead of nothing.

Steve
Unfortunately, this is the policy that you agreed to implicitly when you bought AcuraCare. Its really just a legal contract saying that Acura will provide certain services to you at its dealer network, so i don't know why you would not expect them to follow that contract. I think its honestly generous of them to allow you a refund at all.