Door LED Projector

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Door LED Projector

I got this door light projector module and installed it the other day. It fits directly into the OEM housing on the bottom of the door and it has an interchangeable chip so that either a standard or custom image can be used.

I found it on the Wind and Fire Auto website: Acura MDX, RLX, TL (M013) - Wind Fire Auto

It was $40 and it looks pretty cool. I have the illuminated door sills, which also look cool, so I think I'm going to have some custom light chips made with the TLX logo to avoid the redundancy. The custom chip can be almost anything and you get 3 pairs of chips for about $20.

I've attached a few photos and the new projector is the one with the lens that looks like a circle. The housing is also very robust and it appears to be made out of aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails Door LED Projector-tlx-ghost-led.jpg   Door LED Projector-tlx-ghost-led-1.jpg   Door LED Projector-tlx-ghost-led-2.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
invalidsearch (02-23-2015), NJToyMan (02-26-2015), nore03 (02-23-2015), ostrich (02-22-2015), tlxsteve (02-22-2015), WannaBeAcura (02-22-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I just have to say that is so cool.

With the custom logos I can do "DRIVER" and "NAVIGATOR"
The wife has veto'ed some of my other suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
invalidsearch (03-12-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Were you able to install that yourself?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I am also curious, can we do it ourselves on the TLX without causing any damage ? Looks cool .
Old 02-23-2015, 02:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Were you able to install that yourself?
It was one of the easiest modifications I have ever made to any car. Just use a small blade screwdriver and pry the OEM lens out and disconnect the wire harness. Connect the wire harness to the new projector module and snap it back in. The unit also comes with a little tool for removing the lens chips and that is just as easy.

It only took about 5 minutes to do both doors. You will want to use a non marring screwdriver or maybe a rag between door and the screwdriver to keep from any marks, but mine just popped out without any real prying.

There are also other modules for other models and makes of vehicles if you don't have a TLX.

Last edited by Hoosier_TLX; 02-23-2015 at 02:08 AM. Reason: just need to add to existing comment
The following 3 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
1Louder (02-23-2015), invalidsearch (02-23-2015), tlxsteve (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, maybe a stupid question seeing as I just bought the car and should know but was the led door light an option on the 4 base?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dunkindonuts
Ok, maybe a stupid question seeing as I just bought the car and should know but was the led door light an option on the 4 base?
I'm not sure if you're thinking about the puddle LED lights or the courtesy light at the bottom of the door that illuminates the ground when the door is opened. This retrofit is for the light at the bottom of the door panel and I believe that the puddle lights are only on certain models. This module upgrade should work for all versions of the TLX and it's available for many other makes and models.
tlxsteve (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome Mod! About to get the Acura logo for the front and a pair of Redskin logos for the back!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
For the back? Do the rear doors have puddle lights in them?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AtotheGeezy
Awesome Mod! About to get the Acura logo for the front and a pair of Redskin logos for the back!
I'm not sure what vehicle you have, but I don't think the TLX have the lights in the bottom of the rear doors. You better open all the doors and look under the inside door trim to verify. What I purchased was a pair of projector lights and the Acura light chip and I was able to select an additional pair of light chips. If you purchase somewhere else the free additional chips may not be available.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome mod! Which side did you pry to get it off?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Cool. Glad we can still say Redskins!

Go Redskins!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DwDrummer
Awesome mod! Which side did you pry to get it off?
I'm not %100 sure, but I think I pryed on the side closest to the door hinge. I placed my screwdriver and gently pryed on the light housing and if it started to move I continued and it popped out very easily. I just can't remember, but it wasn't difficult at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
DwDrummer (02-25-2015), tlxsteve (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks man! I got mine ordered today can't wait to get them on the car! Have you had any issues with yours so far?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Racer

Thanks man! I got mine ordered today can't wait to get them on the car! Have you had any issues with yours so far?
No issues as of yet. I've only had them installed for a few days but it is really cool how the logo just floats out of the doorway and across the ground as you open the door. The photos are hard to tell but the detail is very sharp and when they arrive they have light chip with the American flag already installed. Don't know if our northern neighbors will get their flag when they order or not, but I might put 1 of those chips in and take some photos to post as well.
tlxsteve (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Racer

When I ordered from the Wind & Fire site I was able to get the set of projectors with the American flag installed, a pair of Acura logo chips and a free set of 1 NFL team chips for a total of 3 pairs of lights chips. It was a promotion if you order from them and last I checked it was still available.

Also, not sure which vehicle your putting your in, but in the TLX there is no set in the back doors (I checked).
tlxsteve (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
No issues as of yet. I've only had them installed for a few days but it is really cool how the logo just floats out of the doorway and across the ground as you open the door. The photos are hard to tell but the detail is very sharp and when they arrive they have light chip with the American flag already installed. Don't know if our northern neighbors will get their flag when they order or not, but I might put 1 of those chips in and take some photos to post as well.

Sounds good! Takes some pics of the American flags like to see how that looks
Old 02-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Very cool!! Thanks OP for taking the time to research and post pics for the rest of us!

I imagine the ACURA logo looks good projected on a black pavement because it is pure white... but how do any of the "color" logos look when they are projected?? Do they just wash out when they hit the street??

Are you able to send images of the flag, or team logo- but not projected on a piece of paper, but rather the actual ground??
Old 02-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Do you clip on the chips after connecting and inserting the light? I was wondering if you can adjust the tilt of the projection display on the ground.

If they chip was removed or falls off, how does the light look then? Just curious.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Do you clip on the chips after connecting and inserting the light? I was wondering if you can adjust the tilt of the projection display on the ground.

If they chip was removed or falls off, how does the light look then? Just curious.
The light module has to be removed because the logo chips have to be changed inside the module and they are inside the door panel. It's pretty easy to "pop them out" of the door panel, but I don't think I'd do it repeatedly. There is no adjustment to the tilt or any other adjustments for sharpness or focus as the projector is a fixed LED inside the module.

I'll try to get some pictures of the flag and I'll take them on the bare concrete to get a better frame of reference but in my garage it's hard to get the lighting dark enough to simulate night. It's visible in daylight, but not as vivid as it is with low to no light conditions.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

The light module has to be removed because the logo chips have to be changed inside the module and they are inside the door panel. It's pretty easy to "pop them out" of the door panel, but I don't think I'd do it repeatedly. There is no adjustment to the tilt or any other adjustments for sharpness or focus as the projector is a fixed LED inside the module.

I'll try to get some pictures of the flag and I'll take them on the bare concrete to get a better frame of reference but in my garage it's hard to get the lighting dark enough to simulate night. It's visible in daylight, but not as vivid as it is with low to no light conditions.
Thanks. That's good to know. I wouldn't want the logo to fall off when I wasn't paying attention.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Racer

OK, I had some time today so I took a few more photos of the different light chips. I took them in the garage on the concrete floor and it wasn't dark at all and the logos were very visible. I was surprised by how vivid the colors were and I'm not sure how they look at night but they looked good to the naked eye as I took them.
Attached Thumbnails Door LED Projector-acura-light-chip.jpg   Door LED Projector-american-flag-light-chip.jpg   Door LED Projector-steelers-light-chip.jpg   Door LED Projector-light-module-tool-chip.jpg   Door LED Projector-light-module.jpg  

The following 6 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
accord1999 (03-25-2015), invalidsearch (03-13-2015), mapleloaf (06-30-2015), NJToyMan (03-13-2015), tlxsteve (03-02-2015), Treblig (03-02-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

OK, I had some time today so I took a few more photos of the different light chips. I took them in the garage on the concrete floor and it wasn't dark at all and the logos were very visible. I was surprised by how vivid the colors were and I'm not sure how they look at night but they looked good to the naked eye as I took them.
Thanks for making the effort to take photos. You definitely show the product in better detail.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

Those look awesome thanks for the pictures! Got mine in the mail today and I'm about to go install them, which side do I pry on so I don't break the factory lights removing them?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Racer

Those look awesome thanks for the pictures! Got mine in the mail today and I'm about to go install them, which side do I pry on so I don't break the factory lights removing them?
Pry on the side closest to the door hinge. There should be very little effort needed to "pop" the old light unit out. There is plenty of wire harness so it isn't difficult disconnecting the OEM light and reconnecting the new projector module. The main thing is that if you meet some resistance prying, stop and check briefly the other side. You don't want to pry too hard and break something, but I know for sure today I pryed on the hinge side.
tlxsteve (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Cruisin'

Pry on the side closest to the door hinge. There should be very little effort needed to "pop" the old light unit out. There is plenty of wire harness so it isn't difficult disconnecting the OEM light and reconnecting the new projector module. The main thing is that if you meet some resistance prying, stop and check briefly the other side. You don't want to pry too hard and break something, but I know for sure today I pryed on the hinge side.
Thanks you were right those were very easy to swap out! Got mine in last night and love the look. They are extremely bright if you take out the acura logo. Thanks again for this thread very glad I bought a set!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Ordered, received, installed. Easy plug 'n play that adds a nice little touch.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 PM
Racer

DwDrummer and Treblig...... Did you both get the standard Acura logo or did you get something else? If you got something other than the photos I've posted could you take some pictures and post them?

Does anyone have a good jpeg image of the TLX logo with a black background? I'd like to have a custom made chip but I'm having a hard time finding a simple logo image online. Ideally it would be the letters "TLX" in white on a black background. If you have one, could you please post here for me. Thanks!
tlxsteve (03-13-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hoosier_TLX (03-15-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

That's Good ^^^

Here is another
Hoosier_TLX (03-15-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Drifting

DwDrummer and Treblig...... Did you both get the standard Acura logo or did you get something else? If you got something other than the photos I've posted could you take some pictures and post them?

Does anyone have a good jpeg image of the TLX logo with a black background? I'd like to have a custom made chip but I'm having a hard time finding a simple logo image online. Ideally it would be the letters "TLX" in white on a black background. If you have one, could you please post here for me. Thanks!
Hoosier_TLX,

Nope, opted for the standard issued Acura logo. However, those TLX renderings look pretty nice....
Hoosier_TLX (03-18-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

If you get a chip professionally custom made, it would be nice to have some gradient within the color. You're best to know whether that is possible. I am interested to see what you decide on.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's one awesome mod!
Hoosier_TLX (03-15-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks pretty sweet. Going to try out the Decepticon logo
Hoosier_TLX (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SENSEI888
Looks pretty sweet. Going to try out the Decepticon logo
If you do get that light module be sure to post a few photos. It's a neat little touch that almost everyone comments about.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my projectors put in last night. total time: 5 minutes to do both doors. easiest modifications I have ever made to any car. I used to little tool that came with it to pry the OEM lens out and disconnect the wire harness. Connect the wire harness to the new projector module and snap it back in.
The following 2 users liked this post by skyrep:
Hoosier_TLX (03-18-2015), tlxsteve (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by skyrep
Got my projectors put in last night. total time: 5 minutes to do both doors. easiest modifications I have ever made to any car. I used to little tool that came with it to pry the OEM lens out and disconnect the wire harness. Connect the wire harness to the new projector module and snap it back in.
And how do they look? What is your impression of them?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 AM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
they look great. brighter than the original projectors. will post pictures as soon as possible.
tlxsteve (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
I just tried to order a set of projectors.

"Thanks", @Hoosier_TLX- you did such a great job marketing this for Wind and Fire Auto, that they are currently sold out for the TLX!

Now, I have to wait to get them!
Hoosier_TLX (03-18-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got the door projectors today and I love them.

I messed up the first time

Fixed it the second time.

This is on the driver's side

Here is Batman with the flash. These look much better when it is dark.

I can't get enough of this
The following 2 users liked this post by invalidsearch:
Hoosier_TLX (03-18-2015), Stew4HD (03-17-2015)

Quick Reply: Door LED Projector