Do you expect the NY Unveil to show anything NEW that isn't currently offered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
Do you expect the NY Unveil to show anything NEW that isn't currently offered?

I am going to buy a TLX.. i love the styling and i'm an overall Acura fan.

But what is kinda bugging me is I just don't see what this car is accomplishing other than a homeage to a 3G TL in looks and styling.

What does this car offer for the customer that the TL and TSX didn't accomplish or didn't offer? I am failing to see the niche it's filling currently being a brand new vehicle model...

So what i'm asking, in terms of technology other than SH-AWD upgrade, body styling, what do you expect to see thats worthy of a new vehicle model?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
A dashboard that doesn't crack.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
How much do you expect from any new model? I think you've listed the basics, styling and powertrain upgrades. We don't know much about the TLX yet to know, but if your asking for speculation it's probably going to have a broader range of configurations than we're used to from Acura, so that is different and possibly compelling. I wish I shared you're enthusiasm for the TLX, but I remain guarded (and pessimistic) until the finished product is revealed.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by insanik
I am going to buy a TLX.. i love the styling and i'm an overall Acura fan.

But what is kinda bugging me is I just don't see what this car is accomplishing other than a homeage to a 3G TL in looks and styling.

What does this car offer for the customer that the TL and TSX didn't accomplish or didn't offer? I am failing to see the niche it's filling currently being a brand new vehicle model...

So what i'm asking, in terms of technology other than SH-AWD upgrade, body styling, what do you expect to see thats worthy of a new vehicle model?
I don't expect much, maybe an Advance model with Lane Keep, Blind Spot, Adaptive Cruise, would be nice to have an all around view camera. Would love to see Krell in the Advance, but doubt it, looks like Krell is a RLX only item. Would love to see a new head unit that is more advanced that the RLX, but again, not going to happen. What it offers is less confusion and segmentation since it will span the TSX/TL segment with some newer options to remain competitive. The TSX was getting old and the TL distracted RL buyers, so by combining them into one model the Acura sedans have cleaner delineation.

ILX - Economy based luxury
TLX- Sporty (V6) Practical (I4) mainstream luxury
RLX - High End luxury

Not to say I agree with these, but in the simplest form those are the ballpark target demographics.
The following 3 users liked this post by KeithL:
Acura_Dude (02-28-2014), BEAR-AvHistory (02-28-2014), relaxin (03-12-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I dont understand how you love the styling when the final production car hasnt even been seen.
please, go ahead and buy the car when it first comes out. but please dont make a thread right after, having buyers remorse.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-28-2014), Stew4HD (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I can partially understand insanik...For me, I am decently confident that based on looks alone, I would buy the TLX. I know they will have a body kit and a trim with wheels I will enjoy, and as with him, I am an Acura guy.

That being said, what has made me more cautious about the TLX has nothing to do with cosmetic but rather, about reliability. The rolll out of the MDX and the RLX hasn't been the smoothest and many are experiencing some quirky problems, and that in itself is why I am being a little cautious.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I don't expect much, maybe an Advance model with Lane Keep, Blind Spot, Adaptive Cruise, would be nice to have an all around view camera. Would love to see Krell in the Advance, but doubt it, looks like Krell is a RLX only item. Would love to see a new head unit that is more advanced that the RLX, but again, not going to happen.
I think there is a 80% chance we'll see an Advance Package in the TLX. Hopefully it'll have the same goodies as the RLX Advance (maybe minus Krell). I think there is a new head unit on the way, they've mentioned a capacitive touch screen. Maybe this will be the first with Siri in the Car?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by insanik
What does this car offer for the customer that the TL and TSX didn't accomplish or didn't offer?.....
The TSX became the ILX, since the 20-something ladies who use to drive them now are in their 30's and look at the MDXs as their next vehicle (the ultimate cougar-mobile). The ILX is for the junior professional guy who is about to climb the corporate ladder and can't afford a bimmer or an audi or at least isn't stupid to be enslaved by insecurities. The current TL is too "fat" and needs to go on a diet. In comes the TLX for the steady hand middle age professional straight single player guy who made it in life and can still run a marathon or two a year just for the heck of it. Sorry no more ZDX... gay guys buy Volts and Foresters these days - lol.

Last edited by Tonyware; 02-28-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
Sorry no more ZDX... gay guys buy Volts and Foresters these days - lol.
This gay guy bought a TSX and loved it. Wouldn't consider a Volt or Forester.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosew
A dashboard that doesn't crack.
lol. The biggest disappointment in my 3G probably. But hey, if that's the worst thing I'll have to worry about and it won't start until about 8-9 years in, then I'm ok with it.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I dont understand how you love the styling when the final production car hasnt even been seen.
please, go ahead and buy the car when it first comes out. but please dont make a thread right after, having buyers remorse.
Pal like 90% of the car is actually done. You know just like I know Acura will tone it down with different wheels, bumpers, and new side mirrors. Other than that the car looks pretty good. I love the prototype. I'm pretty sure it'll have a factory bodykit as an add-on like the current TL and TSX (think SE). Once you start seeing some of the owners show up on azine, pretty sure they'll swap out the stock wheels for aftermarket ones. I've seen threads from when the 3G was introduced and people hated it (IDK why I think it's a great looking car) and now there's so many modded 3G's on azine now. So when it comes to the TLX im more or less caustiously optimistic. I feel like the interior will be similar to the MDX/RLX. Just gotta wait to see how it all pans out.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Drifting

The push-button gear selector will be an interesting addition. Ok, it probably adds very little, but it's kind of cool and different from the current TL, I guess. I know it won't be available on all versions of the TLX, but not sure which ones will have it. I would think it would be part of the Advance package or Tech package, but one site I read stated that it would only be on the V6 variant.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Pal like 90% of the car is actually done. You know just like I know Acura will tone it down with different wheels, bumpers, and new side mirrors. Other than that the car looks pretty good. I love the prototype. I'm pretty sure it'll have a factory bodykit as an add-on like the current TL and TSX (think SE). Once you start seeing some of the owners show up on azine, pretty sure they'll swap out the stock wheels for aftermarket ones. I've seen threads from when the 3G was introduced and people hated it (IDK why I think it's a great looking car) and now there's so many modded 3G's on azine now. So when it comes to the TLX im more or less caustiously optimistic. I feel like the interior will be similar to the MDX/RLX. Just gotta wait to see how it all pans out.
I dont hate it.

just dont understand how people will throw $45k+ at a car they havent seen or driven.

did you see the fools that rushed out and bought the RLX?
buyers remorse OUT THE ASS!

Remember, a fool and his money are quickly departed
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ To be fair, some people have more money than sense, but they don't normally buy Acuras. In my personal experience, I've got about a half dozen RLX clients and as far as I know, there is no remorse on their part. Maybe I'm more thorough in the sales process so they know better what they're getting?

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
The push-button gear selector will be an interesting addition. Ok, it probably adds very little, but it's kind of cool and different from the current TL, I guess. I know it won't be available on all versions of the TLX, but not sure which ones will have it. I would think it would be part of the Advance package or Tech package, but one site I read stated that it would only be on the V6 variant.
I hadn't seen that before, do you remember where you read it? IMO, it would make a difference for me personally, but it might be nice to be on the leading edge if it were offered across the board (including the 4 cylinder for example)

Last edited by Colin; 02-28-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colin

I hadn't seen that before, do you remember where you read it? IMO, it would make a difference for me personally, but it might be nice to be on the leading edge if it were offered across the board (including the 4 cylinder for example)
During the reveal, Accavitti said it was "an available electronic gear selector". That makes it seem like it's an option. Here's a transcript of sorts, and it's in there : http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=7547-en

As for only the V6 getting it - there's no certainty, and it could be journalistic garbage, but the following article refers to it : http://driving.ca/acura/auto-shows/d...an-in-detroit/
Yes, the TLX (officially dubbed a “prototype”) gets two engines — a 2.4-litre direct injection four and a 3.5-litre V6 — mated to new transmissions — an eight-speed dual-clutch affair for the 2.4L and a nine-speed autobox for the V6, this last with a push-button gear selector
Old 03-01-2014, 02:27 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
6mt.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
...this last with a push-button gear selector
I guess there's no reason not to do that since nothing's directly connected anymore.

Since we're usually in full auto mode most of the time anyway, I don't see that it'd make a big difference.

Something that bugs me a little bit is the Honda/Acura tendency for the shift paddles to be small and located at 3-9 positions on the steering wheel. If they really wanted us to use the paddles, they'd be much bigger and they'd be on the column.

As they are currently designed, we're just paying lip service to the idea of a manually shifted transmission.

I'm saying all this leading up to my second best idea for manually shifting, which is a stick with a gate so that we can reach down and do it. This is not as good as being able to slap-shift a sequential, or tap big paddles mounted at 10-2 position on the columns, but it's a better idea than small paddles mounted at 3-9 on the steering wheel.

For whatever one stupid old man's opinion is worth, there it is.

:-)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Rocketsfan...I agree. I remember hearing that too about the gear selector and on TOV, that video of the release is there. I am surprised many missed that part....I even brought that to the attention of my dealer.

George...I am with you 100%!! I wish they would have stuck with the gated shifter rather than the paddles. I liked that much better on my 2006 TSX.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Grandpa

just dont understand how people will throw $45k+ at a car they havent seen or driven.
Previous Acura purchasers seem to trust Acura, basically. Maybe they won't be on the bleeding edge, and maybe their cars won't test as high in the ratings as some others, but on average the Acura brand will always be one of the most reliable.

If you've been there to experience it, you generally won't mind doing it again, eh?

did you see the fools that rushed out and bought the RLX?
buyers remorse OUT THE [...]!
4700 miles on an RLX Advance, now. No buyer's remorse.

The first couple of thousand RLX's had TSB's that were mostly a sign of unexpected combinations of opinions among purchasers.

There were unusual numbers of different kinds of DC connectors being used in combinations that produced a false charging system warning, and this was solved with a TSB for a flash.

Some combinations of activities could cause the infotainment system to crash and this was unexpected, again solved with a TSB for a flash. And in their defense, several reviewers have commented that the infotainment system in the RLX is the only one that they have been unable to crash!

There was a TSB for very early chassis numbers because a couple of drivers complained about the noise the rear suspension toe control actuators would make in low speed, tight turns.

And there was one safety related TSB after one incident of bolts backing out of the rod that controlled the rear toe. There was only one case of an actuator rod coming loose, but when they started bringing cars in for inspection they realized that there were many cars with bolts installed incorrectly and it was a good thing that they did it when they did.

There's a single thread here at these forums with a user who would like to trade his car for another one because he has had combinations of all of these and other issues. If you put all of this together, however, I think you'll come away thinking that it is an exaggeration saying that there is "buyers remorse out the [...]."

If I end up wanting some J Motor variant of the TLX, or if I end up wanting an RLX Hybrid later this year, then I will probably regret that the extraordinary deal on the RLX Advance caused me to buy it a few months ahead of when other vehicles were available. I have to say though, for the time being, if you are mostly worried about reasonable transportation over decent distances that make leasing a very bad idea, then the RLX is probably a very good idea for you.

I usually drive over 100 miles per day, on the order of 25,000 miles/year.

That's too much for any lease.

So what I need is a reasonably comfortable, reasonably performing, absolutely reliable and steady vehicle.

So.... The answer is.... RLX!

Last edited by George Knighton; 03-01-2014 at 07:47 AM.
internalaudit (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Colin
^^ To be fair, some people have more money than sense, but they don't normally buy Acuras. In my personal experience, I've got about a half dozen RLX clients and as far as I know, there is no remorse on their part. Maybe I'm more thorough in the sales process so they know better what they're getting?
I only based my remorse claims after the 2 or so threads on here
which isnt a great indicator of ALL owners.

just playing a little devils advocate here.

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Previous Acura purchasers seem to trust Acura, basically. Maybe they won't be on the bleeding edge, and maybe their cars won't test as high in the ratings as some others, but on average the Acura brand will always be one of the most reliable.

If you've been there to experience it, you generally won't mind doing it again, eh?
to some degree.
when you get comfortable, things start to lack!
always stay on your toes!
this goes for acura, too. They fell asleep and are waking up, but is still in bed.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-02-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Grandpa

to some degree.
when you get comfortable, things start to lack!
always stay on your toes!
this goes for acura, too. They fell asleep and are waking up, but is still in bed.
I cross shopped the RLX Advance against the A6, the XTS and other cars.

It was still the best thing to buy.

A properly equipped A6 3.0 is very tempting, but if you read the model specific reliability reports at Consumer Reports, and then you look at the huge difference in purchase price, the RLX Advance still won out.

If you are cross shopping, you are going to be surprised just how much you have to pay for another manufacturer's car that has everything that the RLX has and does everything the RLX does.
justnspace (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Justin. I like your last 3 posts.

Based your opinion on 2 RLX owners with buyers remorse...

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-02-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Suzuka Master

I cross shopped the RLX Advance against the A6, the XTS and other cars.

It was still the best thing to buy.

A properly equipped A6 3.0 is very tempting, but if you read the model specific reliability reports at Consumer Reports, and then you look at the huge difference in purchase price, the RLX Advance still won out.

If you are cross shopping, you are going to be surprised just how much you have to pay for another manufacturer's car that has everything that the RLX has and does everything the RLX does.
With the exception of audio which my A6 does not have the B&O, but I do have Quattro I find the A6 comparably equipped to the RLX Advance to by only $4K more so if you swap Quattro for Krell in similar price points the RLX is not that much less expensive. Also the A6 does decent in reliability reports. That said I plan on being out of my A6 before the 4/50 warranty expires. I cross shopped RLX, GS350 most closely and the A6 won for me by a wide margin. I did consider another M37S, but wanted real AWD and the 14 M37/Q70 was not available until recently. Now if the new CTS V-Sport wer out at the time I was very interested in that.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Keith....I am a huge fan of Audi products and yours is no exception. I do have a question for you though....When you make the claim that the Audi is not much more than the RLX, are you using the MRSP or the average price people are paying for theirs?

The reason I ask is that many owners are getting their RLX for close to 8-9k below MRSP which is one thing you can't get with Audi....Its close to MRSP for a brand that is is in really hot demand.

To me, that has been a major reason I am still with Acura.....dollar for dollar, its hard to justify leaving Acura. I can get a car that is 95% of an Audi for a good 20% cheaper (just rough numbers used here....I didn't an actual percentage but you get my idea).
Rocketsfan (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I refer to MSRP, my MSRP for my A6 and the RLX is $61K. There is a reason the RLX is discounted $8K just like the RL. I did get my Audi for invoice. The RLX will have resale issues, but look at resale value of an A6. This was the issue with Infiniti, they discount the cars so much it drives resale down. Lexus learned this early on and tried to hold the line on price.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Resale values are a really good point except where I lease my vehicles, that is not too much of a concern for me. Mind you, I know that residual values affect the lease payment however, I doubt that Acura is prepare to drop the residual values of their vehicle so early on....maybe down the road they will, but for now, their residuals are still quite high giving pretty good lease rates.

For example, there is a promotion in Canada where I can lease an RLX for less than what I am paying for my TL lease. That is just ridiculous, and if I was in the market for an RLX, that would be just so sweet....I know the TLX won't benefit from great lease opportunities like these.

Once I see what the production car and available kits/wheels, that will determine whether I keep my TL or switch brand
Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Agreed, which is why I am glad I leased my M37S, and considering Infinit inflated the residual I had not choice but to ride out the lease since the resale was always several grand less that the lease payoff. I have leased and purchased, each have merits. The RLX incentives and discounts speak volumes as to the car, no new car should need those kind of discounts. If they designed a car people wanted they would sell without those discounts. What kind of business model succeeds that way spend billins then take a hit on every car.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Exactly! You nailed it.....

BTW....I sure miss my 2009 TSX. Just came across an old picture I posted in the TSX section....

Last edited by weather; 03-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I dont hate it.

You realize the TLX is an Acura, right? You realize Acura is still one of the most reliable cars on the road, right? The equivalent Audi is probably a bit better, but after 75,000 miles you might as well turn it into a boat because it will be as big of a money pit.

I'm not as enthusiastic as some on this board, but lets be real. An Acura enthusiast or Honda loyalist who is looking for an upgrade is already planning to buy the TLX.

Last edited by kurtatx; 03-01-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
You realize the TLX is an Acura, right? You realize Acura is still one of the most reliable cars on the road, right? The equivalent Audi is probably a bit better, but after 75,000 miles you might as well turn it into a boat because it will be as big of a money pit.

I'm not as enthusiastic as some on this board, but lets be real. An Acura enthusiast or Honda loyalist who is looking for an upgrade is already planning to buy the TLX.
I understand the comment, but the gap between the most reliable and the average is getting smaller every year. And your example is very extreme, there are plenty of Audi owners that have driven 100K miles with little issues. Also Audi seems to be getting their act together as the A6 has good reliability ratings. And for those of us that do not keep a car past the warranty do I care what the repairs are at 75K miles?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I understand the comment, but the gap between the most reliable and the average is getting smaller every year. And your example is very extreme, there are plenty of Audi owners that have driven 100K miles with little issues. Also Audi seems to be getting their act together as the A6 has good reliability ratings. And for those of us that do not keep a car past the warranty do I care what the repairs are at 75K miles?
I'm not suggesting that everyone wants the new TLX, but there are plenty of people who want the new Acura simply because it's a reliable, new automobile. Outside of Honda and Toyota marques (also Porsche), reliability projection for cars is all over the place.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Agree with Keith on the perception of problems, the actual spread among cars is very small.

I prefer current/past personal experience to surveys. The survey methodology can be all over the place especially what is actually a deadline issue. Point of fact in the past 30 years the only car I had any real issues with was a 90 Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 V8 when I lived in England. Rear suspension part failed & took a while to get a replacement. This includes my 3 daughters & their husbands cars which I do non warranty maintenance on.

A look at Hondas’ recall record does not suggest it’s a trouble free car company. IIRC my TL had 4 recalls 1 major TSB & 1 failed rear light cluster.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-02-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I'm not suggesting that everyone wants the new TLX, but there are plenty of people who want the new Acura simply because it's a reliable, new automobile. Outside of Honda and Toyota marques (also Porsche), reliability projection for cars is all over the place.
That I agree with. Honda and Toyota have mostly great reputation although both have had their share of bumps that I think sometimes get overlooked because they have made such reliable cars for so long. That said if I were buying to keep for 10 years I would likely buy Japanese.

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree with Keith on the perception of problems, the actual spread among cars is very small.

I prefer current/past personal experience to surveys. The survey methodology can be all over the place especially what is actually a deadline issue. Point of fact in the past 30 years the only car I had any real issues with was a 90 Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 V8 when I lived in England. Rear suspension part failed & took a while to get a replacement. This includes my 3 daughters & their husbands cars which I do non warranty maintenance on.

A look at Hondas’ recall record does not suggest it’s a trouble free car company. IIRC my TL had 4 recalls 1 major TSB & 1 failed rear light cluster.
I agree with this as well, especially when you look at how Ford is taking a "reliability" hit because of My Ford Touch. I do not agree that the usability of the head unit should go against reliability, especially when you look at the cars demo. I would bet that the average Ford buyer is more interested in basic transportation and is thus probably more intimidated by technology and thus presented with the Ford Touch becomes over whelmed. That does not mean it does not have quirks, as does Caddy's QUE, just do not think usability is a reliability issue. To me reliability is "will the car leave me in a situation where I can not use the car to get from point a to point b, or has something in the car stopped working or is broken."

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-02-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Grandpa

First off, I protest that we are being diverted too much defending Acura and Honda in a forum that is devoted to those makes. :-) The word Audi is mentioned far too much. If we love Audi then perhaps we should be writing in the Audi forums.

Regarding the RLX's discounts and how it might affect resale and trade in, I have a personal example to relate.

In December 2009, my 2010 TL 6-6 SH-AWD cost 39,000. I believe the sticker was around 45,000. In December 2013, I got rid of that car with 86,000 miles on it for 24,000.

It sounds to me like Acura retains its value even after you take the discounts into account.

If I have time later today I am going to log into Consumer Reports and see if I can find the data that justifies the proposition that the differences between Audi and Acura V6 models are no longer great enough that they should be a deciding factor, and I will report back.

I think I'll try to take screen shots of the data and hope that I don't get sued by Consumer's Union!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
kurtatx (03-02-2014), ostrich (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Resale values are a really good point except where I lease my vehicles, that is not too much of a concern for me. Mind you, I know that residual values affect the lease payment however, I doubt that Acura is prepare to drop the residual values of their vehicle so early on....maybe down the road they will, but for now, their residuals are still quite high giving pretty good lease rates.

For example, there is a promotion in Canada where I can lease an RLX for less than what I am paying for my TL lease. That is just ridiculous, and if I was in the market for an RLX, that would be just so sweet....I know the TLX won't benefit from great lease opportunities like these.

Once I see what the production car and available kits/wheels, that will determine whether I keep my TL or switch brand
Weather, I have noticed something very weird about Acura residuals lately and I hope that this won't apply to the TLX!

With the RDX and most of their other models, the residuals have been excellent. So the monthly lease payment is pretty good.

However, if you look at the MDX, the story is quite different. The base model (that I am totally not interested in) has a low lease rate and the residual is pretty good. However, if you look at the Navi and Tech models (which I may be interested in, should I want an MDX) then the rates are much higher (no special rate from Acura at all!) and the residuals are ridiculously low! Furthermore, they have a cash incentive going on too. It is as if they are actively deterring Canadians from leasing anything above the base model!!!

Something weird is going on.......... as I said, hopefully that won't happen with the TLX lease rates either. Otherwise, I am jumping ship too...... probably to get what Acura does not offer right now - a SPORT WAGON! Nope, not that Audi one - the OTHER German one that is way better than the Allroad.... :-)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Thats good to know. Thanks for the information and I will keep that in mind when it comes time to lease my next vehicle. If Acura doesn't want my business, I am sure others will
Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Resale has always been good for Acura. Now styling is a different story.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
The same way a lot of people here hate it.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

First off, I protest that we are being diverted too much defending Acura and Honda in a forum that is devoted to those makes. :-) The word Audi is mentioned far too much. If we love Audi then perhaps we should be writing in the Audi forums.

Regarding the RLX's discounts and how it might affect resale and trade in, I have a personal example to relate.

In December 2009, my 2010 TL 6-6 SH-AWD cost 39,000. I believe the sticker was around 45,000. In December 2013, I got rid of that car with 86,000 miles on it for 24,000.

It sounds to me like Acura retains its value even after you take the discounts into account.

If I have time later today I am going to log into Consumer Reports and see if I can find the data that justifies the proposition that the differences between Audi and Acura V6 models are no longer great enough that they should be a deciding factor, and I will report back.

I think I'll try to take screen shots of the data and hope that I don't get sued by Consumer's Union!

I don;t think anyone is complaining about the TL, I think I was using the RL and RLX as examples. My TL's all held great value. I think the TL is an excellent resale car as I was able to flip most of my TLs in the 12-18 month time frame without taking much of a loss, maybe $500, some were break even. Because my 09 TL was a lease and the residual inflated that cost me $1500 to trade it after 19 months. I think Audi gets brought up for a few reasons, first it is considered the logical step for many Acura owners since it is a sporty value proposition on the German side. Next I think it is because it routinely gets bashed for poor reliability, which on some models is true and others not.
I think some of us that have moved on did so reluctantly because we wanted to stay Acura, but Acura did not deliver us anything that gave us a reason to stay. The GF just bought a 14 RDS Tech so we still have an Acura in the family. What disappoints me is Acura was once a leader with in-car tech and now is sadly behind. Not sure how they keep using the "Advance" slogan when they need to step up. They are positioned to make great gains if that can focus and put the effort in. And for the record I participate in the Audi forums as well, I just find this forum a more diverse and open minded group.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich

With the RDX and most of their other models, the residuals have been excellent. So the monthly lease payment is pretty good.

However, if you look at the MDX, the story is quite different. The base model (that I am totally not interested in) has a low lease rate and the residual is pretty good. However, if you look at the Navi and Tech models (which I may be interested in, should I want an MDX) then the rates are much higher (no special rate from Acura at all!) and the residuals are ridiculously low!
I think this is the nature of a more upscale car with more goodies, I see the same thing with other makes. I think this is partially due to the market for loaded used cars. I think the hgher the feature set and price point of a given model the lower the resale, I have seen this with numerous cars. Acura has been less impacted by this I think because traditionally they had base and tech models and the take rate on their tech models was high, but I think that is changing as prices climb and Acura fit that value spot more. I went into my A6 knowing the same thing, the resale on my model A6 with my features will not be as great percentage wise as a lower model with less features A6.

Quick Reply: Do you expect the NY Unveil to show anything NEW that isn't currently offered?