Dealer allotment process?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Dealer allotment process?

Does anyone know how dealers get the allotments sent to them by Acura? I put a deposit down in mid-June and the dealer is telling me there are no builds scheduled yet for a AWD Still Night Blue A-Spec for California. I've called 5 other dealers and have been given the same answer. Does the dealer just get what they get from Acura? I assumed they'd be able to order one. At this rate it will be September. . .
Old 07-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
May not be an allotment or allocation issue - may just be what you are looking for hasn't been built or isn't currently available. You called 6 dealers and have been told the same thing. I just looked at 5 local (Boston) dealer websites and none of them have what you have ordered on their lots. Back in late 2003, I had to order my 2004 TL and waited 3 months for delivery. Dealer was very good about communicating build date, transportation and delivery time. Follow up with your dealer and see what they say. Do they have a build date yet, has the VIN# been assigned?

Edit - I just found this one but is in metro LA - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1713/overview/

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 07-20-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The Acura allotment & ordering process does not look to be geared toward customer ordered cars like the European Companies. Its designed for purchases from dealer inventory. Usually dealers have slot priority's based on prior sales numbers. Dealers who sell more cars get more slots. Acura will still call the shots on specific cars. They might get a blue TLX A-Spec slot based on how may base cars they sell etc. One of the issues is they block paint their cars instead of randomly painting, unless something has changed.

Not sure exactly what the internals of the system are but if it was setup like the European system for a car built in Ohio a dealer with an open slot should be able to get a customer specific ordered car in under 4 weeks.

My car was ordered next to last week in April, had a production number before we finished selecting options & built in mid May. (you can track the car with the production number)

All the rest of the time was shipping from Germany, port instillation of some options & scheduling a slot at the Performance Center Delivery program. The PCD added about 3 weeks to the delivery scheduled.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-20-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
May not be an allotment or allocation issue - may just be what you are looking for hasn't been built or isn't currently available. You called 6 dealers and have been told the same thing. I just looked at 5 local (Boston) dealer websites and none of them have what you have ordered on their lots. Back in late 2003, I had to order my 2004 TL and waited 3 months for delivery. Dealer was very good about communicating build date, transportation and delivery time. Follow up with your dealer and see what they say. Do they have a build date yet, has the VIN# been assigned?

Edit - I just found this one but is in metro LA - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1713/overview/
No build date or VIN assigned yet. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why they wouldn't be building any. It's been 5 weeks and they haven't built any in that spec for California. According to the dealer it takes 3 weeks from build start date to delivery. I'm curious how many TLX's they build in a day.

That one in LA has the red interior, looking for black. Spoiler900 on this board works at that dealer and tried to sell that one to me.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The Acura allotment & ordering process does not look to be geared toward customer ordered cars like the European Companies. Its designed for purchases from dealer inventory. Usually dealers have slot priority's based on prior sales numbers. Dealers who sell more cars get more slots. Acura will still call the shots on specific cars. They might get a blue TLX A-Spec slot based on how may base cars they sell etc. One of the issues is they block paint their cars instead of randomly painting, unless something has changed.

Not sure exactly what the internals of the system are but if it was setup like the European system for a car built in Ohio a dealer with an open slot should be able to get a customer specific ordered car in under 4 weeks.

My car was ordered next to last week in April, had a production number before we finished selecting options & built in mid May. (you can track the car with the production number)

All the rest of the time was shipping from Germany, port instillation of some options & scheduling a slot at the Performance Center Delivery program. The PCD added about 3 weeks to the delivery scheduled.
You're right and I"m not expecting it to be like European companies. Just thought it was strange that it appears nothing being built in a 5 week period. These aren't limited edition and figured they just had a production line churning them out. It might be the combination of AWD, Blue and California. Maybe they don't think that sells here (AWD) like other states. I was just hoping that a deposit was enough to at least have Acura send something over.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
No build date or VIN assigned yet. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why they wouldn't be building any. It's been 5 weeks and they haven't built any in that spec for California. According to the dealer it takes 3 weeks from build start date to delivery. I'm curious how many TLX's they build in a day.

That one in LA has the red interior, looking for black. Spoiler900 on this board works at that dealer and tried to sell that one to me.
I know they were block painting the cars but forgot to notice if they were also block building. I would have to expect the 14's have priority on builds because they account for most of the sales. Next would be the various V6 packages they I think at the end of the line the A-Spec's

Production schedules to fill dealers lots would be built around getting the most new models on the street as possible as quickly as possible & that would be the I4 base or light option I4 cars..
Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
According to Cargurus there are only 14 or so A-spec SHAWDs regardless of color in all of So Cali. We're six weeks into the launch. You'd think Acura could do better than that. Inventory for SHAWD Advance is even worst at 4.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I feel lucky I was able to get a blue SH-AWD A-Spec given this. I'd better hug it close and keep it in good shape. I still love the color after almost five weeks with the car.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Here's a blue/black SH-AWD in SoCal, in Mission Viejo. Dealer's right off I-5. I foresee a nice drive up the coast, back to the Bay Area in the car...in fact, that dealer's got FOUR of them, #035, #136, #140, and #141, the latter three only a few cars from my VIN. Go call that dealer....

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=459319487&zip=44122 &referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D44122%26keyword Phrases%3Da-spec%26extColorsSimple%3DBLUE%26startYear%3D2018%2 6incremental%3Dall%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeLis t%3DACUTLX%26makeCodeList%3DACURA%26driveGroup%3DA WD4WD%26listingTypes%3Dnew%26sortBy%3Dderivedprice DESC%26firstRecord%3D0%26searchRadius%3D0&listingT ypes=new&startYear=2018&numRecords=25&firstRecord= 0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=ACUTLX&makeCodeList=A CURA&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=ACURA&modelCode1=ACU TLX

Last edited by neuronbob; 07-20-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:14 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
My local dealer tried to do dealer trade for me for White/red awd a-spec but they only found two in California. The other dealers rejected the trade, so today they called the factory to change color on one of the orders they placed and will hear back tomorrow from factory of the color combo has been changed. If the change happens, then it's a month wait before it arrives.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:05 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

I saw those too, my dealer said that's where the west coast training cars from June's training event went. The ones they autocrossed and displayed. I wonder if they'd admit those were the ones that were used.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
My local dealer tried to do dealer trade for me for White/red awd a-spec but they only found two in California. The other dealers rejected the trade, so today they called the factory to change color on one of the orders they placed and will hear back tomorrow from factory of the color combo has been changed. If the change happens, then it's a month wait before it arrives.
Funny you mention dealer trade. I was trying to get my dealer to trade a white/black interior AWD one they had for a Blue AWD one at Fresno Acura at the beginning of July. They didn't want to do it either.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Funny you mention dealer trade. I was trying to get my dealer to trade a white/black interior AWD one they had for a Blue AWD one at Fresno Acura at the beginning of July. They didn't want to do it either.
yes they had that blue awd... I've seen some guy driving it around my neighborhood
Old 07-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I have a Blue with red interior SH-AWD and Black/Black SH-AWD. Yeah most of them are being sent to us front wheel drive i don't understand why i thought they would push all wheel drive. If anyone is interested in seeing one PM me!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
They have a White/red AWD one in Boulder, CO if they're willing to try that far.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

They have a White/red AWD one in Boulder, CO if they're willing to try that far.
I just got a call from the salesman and they were able to get one from another dealer that is being built in next few days and should have it in 2 weeks.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been communicating with my local Acura dealer in Southern CA ever since 2018 TLX was introduced back in June, specifically interested in Aspec AWD. My dealer has been trying to place factory order since mid July but so far I was told their requests for allocation have been denied three times. This morning on my commute, I finally saw White Aspec AWD for the first time. So far I have seen only three TLX locally here. I just wonder what is going on in Acura allocation process. No question just comment here.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:41 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by ShonanBoy
I have been communicating with my local Acura dealer in Southern CA ever since 2018 TLX was introduced back in June, specifically interested in Aspec AWD. My dealer has been trying to place factory order since mid July but so far I was told their requests for allocation have been denied three times. This morning on my commute, I finally saw White Aspec AWD for the first time. So far I have seen only three TLX locally here. I just wonder what is going on in Acura allocation process. No question just comment here.
I had to get Acura Client Relations involved to get my AWD. They then got a district sales manager from corporate involved. Give them a call, it can't hurt: (800) 382-2238. They "said" they had to get an allocation from an east coast dealer for me. There were no AWD ASpecs in Blue scheduled for California when I escalated in July.
The following users liked this post:
ShonanBoy (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
I had to get Acura Client Relations involved to get my AWD. They then got a district sales manager from corporate involved. Give them a call, it can't hurt: (800) 382-2238. They "said" they had to get an allocation from an east coast dealer for me. There were no AWD ASpecs in Blue scheduled for California when I escalated in July.
My local dealer got me the blue aspec awd from another dealer. The only one left in NJ. I will say the steel metalic aspec with red leather looked really nice though and I am torn on not getting that instead. Since I picked it up at night the lighting at the dealership made it look almost like it was glowing and I nearly backed out but under normal lighting it is a great color. I got black interior but the metalic steel grey with red leather in the showroom was amazing.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
There are a few blue Aspecs awd around here . Just saw one at my dealer . Might sell my 2012 TSX .
Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by jhb31
My local dealer got me the blue aspec awd from another dealer. The only one left in NJ. I will say the steel metalic aspec with red leather looked really nice though and I am torn on not getting that instead. Since I picked it up at night the lighting at the dealership made it look almost like it was glowing and I nearly backed out but under normal lighting it is a great color. I got black interior but the metalic steel grey with red leather in the showroom was amazing.
I would have loved to see the Steel Metallic with red interior. That sounds like a great combo. Reminds me of a few BMW 340 and 440's I'd seen on the their lots.