Crossing the magic 40K price point?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Honestly if I were in the OP's shoes, I'd probably go for a 17 Accord Touring and call it a day. Effectively a TLX in Accord clothing, Honda dealers are marking them down by a good margin ahead of the upcoming 10G. Add to that, likely cheaper to insure and you don't lose much (if anything) when it comes to performance. (Downside: looks identical to the tons of 9.5G Accord Sports on the roads save for the jewel eyes.)
I think the OP wants SH-AWD though. And as he mentioned, to him, he felt the TLX is smoother, quieter, more comfortable, and has nicer interior and a better tranny. But ya it's noticeably more money.

Originally Posted by UNCMo96
To the OP I'm curious what you drive now and what you have driven in the past. Seeing a post like this makes me feel old! When I was that age I was rollin' in a 1980 Malibu Classic Station Wagon! (Hand me down from my dad!) It died on the Jersey turnpike when it was 15 years old and I got a used 2003 Mustang (4 cyl. not the 5.0) in 1995.
Wait what? How did you buy a 2003 car in 1995?? Did you mean 1993 Mustang?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:28 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by KTDJ
First off thank you for a good reply and not just mentioning my age. I currently go to school and work full time at a very well paying (for a 20 year old it seems) job. I have my down payment ready so I'm not in the biggest rush to buy, but it would be nice to have something new. TrueCar seems to be trickling closer to $40,000 for the A-Spec's but not sure how accurate it will be.
Since you are currently a student sometimes the manufacturer will offer "student discounts" which is either a specific dollar amount off or discounted finance rate .. Check with the dealer or even local your bank about this.. Also don't forget to shop around the financing rate the dealer gives you, sometimes the dealer will ridiculously mark up the rate the bank gives them and pocket the difference..
Old 09-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on the TLX if I had $40K to spend. I'd likely go with a gently used Lexus IS350 F-Sport.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The $40K level opens up a very wide market both new & CPO cars. Take a very good look to what is available in the price range.

As far as your age be careful, I bought a 2 year old convertible at 19. Got hooked on nice cars & still am. Was always one of my incentives to move up on the job.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Wait what? How did you buy a 2003 car in 1995?? Did you mean 1993 Mustang?
I also had a Delorian and went tot he future to get the 2003 'stang. j/k yeah it was 1993.
The following users liked this post:
iforyou (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I think the sub $40K is now possible for A-SPEC SHAWD. I received an unsolicited (I'm sure I was targeted) email from a Northern VA dealer for summer closeout and had the A-SPEC SHAWD listed at $40,445. I took that quote and sent it to another dealer that had a A-SPEC Red in stock and they beat that price. It's slightly over $40K so I didn't bother doing any additional negotiation. I have an appointment to pick it up tomorrow so I will post details once the deal is signed. I do have a trade involved but that was revealed after they quoted the price of the A-SPEC. They also gave me a quote above KBB good for trade in so I am really excited and hope they come through with everything we agreed on.
KTDJ (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:05 AM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by lausy
I think the sub $40K is now possible for A-SPEC SHAWD. I received an unsolicited (I'm sure I was targeted) email from a Northern VA dealer for summer closeout and had the A-SPEC SHAWD listed at $40,445. I took that quote and sent it to another dealer that had a A-SPEC Red in stock and they beat that price. It's slightly over $40K so I didn't bother doing any additional negotiation. I have an appointment to pick it up tomorrow so I will post details once the deal is signed. I do have a trade involved but that was revealed after they quoted the price of the A-SPEC. They also gave me a quote above KBB good for trade in so I am really excited and hope they come through with everything we agreed on.
WOW!! This is good! Congrats! 40k+/- is pretty good for a SH-AWD. This is great news for us that are still shopping around.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Good luck. I look forward to hearing the details of your purchase experience.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
If I were at this price point and was purchasing (as opposed to leasing), I'd probably go this route over the TLX:

https://www.rcatena.com/inventory/us...fv7ar3hm870060
Old 09-22-2017, 06:29 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
If im at your age with 40k budget, i would buy the civic type R
iforyou (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would look at a used VW GTI for 20 grand and put the other 20 grand in a mutual fund in a Roth IRA. In 40 years you'll be EXTREMELY happy that you did!

For example - if you average 7% growth over 40 years your 20 grand would be roughly 300 grand when you hit 60.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
kurtatx (09-22-2017), Speed_Racer (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
If I were in your shoes I would look at a used VW GTI for 20 grand and put the other 20 grand in a mutual fund in a Roth IRA. In 40 years you'll be EXTREMELY happy that you did!

For example - if you average 7% growth over 40 years your 20 grand would be roughly 300 grand when you hit 60.
Awesome advice. At 20, that $20,000 is so valuable.

And my coworker just bought a GTI. Awesome car for the price!

and with Carplay on the latest models!

Last edited by kurtatx; 09-22-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:21 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by RCJD
Very true! haha! Screw the TLX, the CTR is the real deal!!

By the way, you can get a brand new GTI for like $18k:
https://www.vwking.com/searchnew.aspx?Model=Golf+GTI
Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

I think he will be financing the TLX.

Don't think he has 40k, because he mentioned down payment.
F23A4 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:34 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Very true! haha! Screw the TLX, the CTR is the real deal!!

By the way, you can get a brand new GTI for like $18k:
https://www.vwking.com/searchnew.aspx?Model=Golf+GTI
Wow, that's a deal . .
Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
I test drove the A4 w/ Quattro and 6MT- super nice car as well. There was only a handful in FloriDUH and luckily when I was visiting my folks in South Florida I was able to experience it. A4 was definately bigger but the styling was a little long in the tooth for me. Still, because of the Quattro and 6MT I was still considering it and was a front runner. Unfortunately, the Audi dealers I was dealing with had the same mentality the Acura dealers did and I walked.
GG..get a CTS-V
Join the club.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW!! Thank you for the info. That sounds like a great price. Honestly makes me excited since I haven't seen that price before. Please do update us as you go through the ale process and see how everything goes through.

Originally Posted by RCJD
I was thinking Civic R, but I think its slightly too small for me, and I don't want something that looks that crazy.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Awesome advice. At 20, that $20,000 is so valuable.

And my coworker just bought a GTI. Awesome car for the price!

and with Carplay on the latest models!

Interesting you mention GTI, My Father has a 2015 so naturally either a GTI or R were on the top of my list at first, but one of my requirements for work is that I often have to carry a 6-foot ladder with me and in his GTI, it fits, but the front passenger seat isn't useable. I had my hopes up really high for the GTI a I love the way it drives, but it is just a little to small. Was considering the Passat wagon, but in the US you can't get one with a spiced up engine.

Currently I drive an old civic coupe which fits everything I need for work, but isn't the most comfortable and the mileage is getting up there. (Currently 250K)

Thank you to everyone who has replied that has been helpful.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I think he will be financing the TLX.

Don't think he has 40k, because he mentioned down payment.
You are correct about financing. I have very good credit and a good size down payment so I should have no problem getting the 1.9% they are advertising.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 AM

If you have money at 20 years old, you should be investing it. Put your money into a vanguard fund and dump money into it every year. Even if you think you're making smart decisions with your money, you should double down and put any slush/discretionary money into it. Don't waste your money on a car at this age. Buy a car that you can sell without much loss in 5 years. Plenty of 5-10k rides that fit that bill, which are stout in performance and reliability. In the mean time, learn about fixing and maintaining your ride. It'll save you hundreds if not thousands, year after year.

Regarding credit, you need years of credit history to have excellent credit. This story reads more like mom and dad are setting you up for a graduation gift. Regardless, most 20 somethings take a hit on their credit for debt. Their scores typically go down from the age 20 to 30. Don't make the same mistakes. Keep your debts low.. Don't make big purchases, don't max your credit, don't spend a lot on a wedding / house / car / vacation until you're established. It's always been sound advice, but most young adults are trying to live for now than later. That's why most people don't even have $1k.

www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/06/19/heres-how-many-americans-have-nothing-at-all-in-savings.html

And don't waste money on mods..
The following 3 users liked this post by Majofo:
ggesq (09-24-2017), JT4 (09-28-2017), RDX10 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Just buy what you want to buy. What colour are you getting?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Honestly, just because you can pay the down payment and afford monthly payments doesn't mean you can "afford" a car. Heck, if it did then apparently I can afford to lease a Lamborghini (apparently you can lease one for $3000 a month with $25000 due at signing, but obviously that would be a horrible financial decision). Think long and hard about the opportunity cost of that money, which could go into an investment portfolio and be worth quite a bit more down the road.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-24-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
White with red interior A-Spec AWD.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

White with red interior A-Spec AWD.
Oh, nice. I think I saw a thread where the owner of a white one wrapped the roof (and maybe the mirrors?) in black and that looked quite sharp. Thinking of doing something similar?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Oh, nice. I think I saw a thread where the owner of a white one wrapped the roof (and maybe the mirrors?) in black and that looked quite sharp. Thinking of doing something similar?

Possibly in the future, will probably just do a dark tint and clear bra and see how I like it. The pictures posted in the other thread do look pretty good. I am also thinking of doing the black badges, maybe I can get them thrown in for free at the end of negotiation.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Majofo
If you have money at 20 years old, you should be investing it. Put your money into a vanguard fund and dump money into it every year. Even if you think you're making smart decisions with your money, you should double down and put any slush/discretionary money into it. Don't waste your money on a car at this age. Buy a car that you can sell without much loss in 5 years. Plenty of 5-10k rides that fit that bill, which are stout in performance and reliability. In the mean time, learn about fixing and maintaining your ride. It'll save you hundreds if not thousands, year after year.

Regarding credit, you need years of credit history to have excellent credit. This story reads more like mom and dad are setting you up for a graduation gift. Regardless, most 20 somethings take a hit on their credit for debt. Their scores typically go down from the age 20 to 30. Don't make the same mistakes. Keep your debts low.. Don't make big purchases, don't max your credit, don't spend a lot on a wedding / house / car / vacation until you're established. It's always been sound advice, but most young adults are trying to live for now than later. That's why most people don't even have $1k.

www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/06/19/heres-how-many-americans-have-nothing-at-all-in-savings.html

And don't waste money on mods..

While I respect your advice on investing money, I don't think this is the correct forum to be discussing money saving strategies. I currently participate in my companies 401k plan so I am saving for the future. Regarding "mom and dad" they are contributing nothing to my car purchase. This will be completely paid for by me and financing will be in my name only! I bought my first car that way and I plan to continue to do so.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:45 PM

Just buy what you want to buy.
Says the rich guy

Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I was thinking Civic R, but I think its slightly too small for me, and I don't want something that looks that crazy.
Hah it does look crazy but man the new Civic is pretty roomy inside, especially the hatchback. Have you sat in one before? Lots of room for front and rear passengers. And being a hatch, it's very practical with a lot of cargo room.

If you compare the specs, the CTR actually has 2" more front head room, 1.5" more rear legroom, and its passenger volume is 4 cu.ft larger (97 vs 93). Cargo volume with the seats up, its 25.7 cu.ft vs 13.2 cu.ft with the advantage going to the Type R. And obviously with the rear seats folded, you get even more room.

Just buy what you want to buy.
Haha I like that. Just think of ways to make more money and actual do that and you will be fine!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Good luck. I look forward to hearing the details of your purchase experience.
I ended up paying $40395 plus tax and tags/licensing. Also, received trade in value of $29,800 for my 2016 Murano which is in line with KBB excellent condition trade in value. Overall very happy with the deal considering I was quoted $3,500 off MSRP back in July from a dealer in Richmond, VA. I honestly stopped shopping until I received that email saying how low the prices are! I ended up with a Modern Steel Metallic/Red SHAWD A-Spec.
The following 3 users liked this post by lausy:
a35tl (09-25-2017), F23A4 (09-26-2017), KTDJ (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Says the rich guy

I’m not saying buy recklessly. OP is young but he sounds like he has a plan. The last thing he was looking for is for everybody here to sound like his dad. If he’s got a steady job, is sensible with his spending, and genuinely needs a car for work/commuting, then why not?

a35tl (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 PM

Let's be real here

assume 30k.. other side of the bell curve..
minus 4-5k for taxes, minus 1.5-2k for 401k..
so that's roughly 2k / mo take home..
40k @1.9% (doubtful) is roughly a 700 note a month for 5 years
Hey that's not bad..

But that 8400 / yr car note.. what would that value be in 5 years in a fund
Many of the good funds have returns of 20% over the last 5 years.. but let's say 15%..
That's $58k..

Let's say after 5 years he gets his 40k car and stops contributing..
What happens to that egg in 15 years (untouched, just compound interest).. 471k
in 25 years.. 1.9M

Okay.. that's happy math. Now the market corrects, we go into recession, it takes a hit now an then..
But putting money into the market early and letting it compound now is going to be significantly better than wasting it on a new car now.

Get my point.
But alas, live for now!

The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
Jhole99 (09-25-2017), RDX10 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Maj, remember Yolo and America....

OP, have you went and looked at any other cars besides the TLX?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
Let's be real here

assume 30k.. other side of the bell curve..
minus 4-5k for taxes, minus 1.5-2k for 401k..
so that's roughly 2k / mo take home..
40k @1.9% (doubtful) is roughly a 700 note a month for 5 years
Hey that's not bad..

But that 8400 / yr car note.. what would that value be in 5 years in a fund
Many of the good funds have returns of 20% over the last 5 years.. but let's say 15%..
That's $58k..

Let's say after 5 years he gets his 40k car and stops contributing..
What happens to that egg in 15 years (untouched, just compound interest).. 471k
in 25 years.. 1.9M

Okay.. that's happy math. Now the market corrects, we go into recession, it takes a hit now an then..
But putting money into the market early and letting it compound now is going to be significantly better than wasting it on a new car now.

Get my point.
But alas, live for now!

This is so true. This is a car forum and not a personal finance forum but I think it's worth it to mention this advice. I don't think the issue is whether or not the OP can afford the car. I'm sure if has a well paying job he can make the payments and not starve. Buying a cheaper car and putting the money way may allow the OP to retire a few years earlier and/or buy a porsche in is 40s. In my own life I haven't always made the best moves all the time. However, now with the wisdom of years I think it's worthwhile to say it. If he went on a personal finance forum and said he's buying a 40k car at 20 years old he would get more skewered than he's getting here.

Again, everyone's finances are their own business. For all we know the OP could me making 400k a year in which case, sure buy a new 40k car since it's a rounding error in the long run. However if he's in the mean and median rages as above, he'll make his car payments but not have much left afterward. But again, this is a car forum so yeah yeah get the TLX.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Don't think average this & average that charts mean much when it comes to a car purchase. The more expensive a car the more non-average the buyer will be regardless of age. Its actually about net disposable income after your living expense liabilities & the price of the car.

With enough disposable income its choice time, some will be good & some not so good. That's up to the individual.

One thing I would say that will draw some static, can't believe anything I say would draw static, is never buy a car for cash unless its in 31 boxes, 3 crates, 1 skid & its the only way you can get it.

Sinking current cash into a depreciating asset is a guarantied loser. If you have $45,000 for a TLX & just hate to have to do monthly payments just suck it up & make a small down payment. Buy a liquid investment vehicle with the rest. Do an auto pay out of the fund for the monthly & enjoy the car.
kurtatx (09-28-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Says the rich guy

You should always buy what you want to buy. You only live once so if you can afford it get it.

I ended up paying $40395 plus tax and tags/licensing. Also, received trade in value of $29,800 for my 2016 Murano which is in line with KBB excellent condition trade in value. Overall very happy with the deal considering I was quoted $3,500 off MSRP back in July from a dealer in Richmond, VA. I honestly stopped shopping until I received that email saying how low the prices are! I ended up with a Modern Steel Metallic/Red SHAWD A-Spec.
Excellent price you got there. That color combo (grey/red) if I had to do over again is what I would buy. I have the Blue/Black Awd A-spec and in the past 3 weeks I have had 3 compliments from random people just going in/out of stores and I don't drive it all that much outside of going to work. The Blue has the flash but the grey with red is really a nice combo and I think I would worry less about where I was parking it as the blue is a in your face color for sure. I always feel safest when the car is in the garage and it does look exceptional in there. Anyway congrats on your good deal!
pyrodan007 (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 11:01 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I’m not saying buy recklessly. OP is young but he sounds like he has a plan. The last thing he was looking for is for everybody here to sound like his dad. If he’s got a steady job, is sensible with his spending, and genuinely needs a car for work/commuting, then why not?
Because horrible depreciation. https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...ue-tlx-962851/

If you buy a car that's at least 2-3 year old, you let the other person take the depreciation hit.

But I also understand the appear of a new car... YOLO.
RDX10 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, you guys make it sound like OP is on the verge of buying a McLaren or something.

It's just an Acura, guys. It's just an Acura.
BEAR-AvHistory (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 874 Likes on 669 Posts
Wow, you guys make it sound like OP is on the verge of buying a McLaren or something.

That's not the point. It's still 40k USD. I'm 22 and I am in a different financial situation than the OP because I am full time in uni so I can't really talk for the OP. But I know for myself I had the option of a nicer car with a payment and opted to stay buying used because I cannot predict things that will come up at my age. So maybe he can afford it comfortably and maybe we are all reacting for no reason. But I don't think the reactions are unjustified, there is no real "NEED" for such an expensive car (I mean you could argue that even if someone was making 2 million a year they could drive a 10k car and it would satisfy their needs maybe) at his age is what people are trying to get to.

At the end of the day OP should do whatever he wants because only he knows his financial situation so I won't tell him to be careful anymore because he sounds like he knows what he's doing.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

says the rich guy!
$40k is a lot for a basic ass "just an acura"
Old 09-26-2017, 07:37 AM
Team Owner

Exactly, an Acura. An Acura that should not cost 40k.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

It seems to me the TLX (especially the A-Spec) is a bargain at its price point. I can’t think of another car with all the luxury, safety, reliability, features, handling, good looks, and rarity for the same price.

You guys are making way too big a deal out of this.

So anyway, did the OP buy the car yet?
a35tl (09-26-2017)