Ceramic coating @ car shows?

Old 05-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Ceramic coating @ car shows?

I went to the Denver car show a few weeks ago and found myself staring at this TLX wondering why did it look so good.
I'm in the market for a TLX so I went straight to the Acura display.
i found this color to look beautiful. It makes the whole car look elegant and modern.
I asked the presenter-model what color was it and what treatment did they do on the car so it looks so great.
She mentioned the color and said it was standard paint and wax. So I was left wondering...do car companies bring cars with ceramic coating to enhance the display at car shows?
Do you guys think This is a sneaky way to display cars?
Here is the picture of the car with no filters and using an iPhone camera (nothing fancy).

Has anyone here done ceramic coating on their cars?
worth it? Waste?

Old 05-04-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
read our wash and wax section. a lot of people use ceramic coatings!
it's not cheating at a car show, because it's a product applied to the paint...

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/

OPti-coat is a good brand
Old 05-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
The show lights really enhance the shine. The spokes-model gets your heart pumping -- excitement which you subconsciously redirect to the car. Ceramic coatings is fair play.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I follow a guy named holdersdetailing on IG and he is putting those coatings on a lot of high end cars...
a good wax job is a good way to protect the car at shows where kids and keys and everyone is touching.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
You can definitely get your future TLX, or your current car, to look that shiny with a bit of elbow grease and the proper tools.

It isn't very difficult work, but it is time consuming and you really need to know what you're doing. I can definitely understand why professional detailers charge so much.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 PM

I have tools and experience...
and I'm a biatch...I may give it a go again though...
Old 05-06-2017, 04:52 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Get a good Dual Action Buffer - study up on how to polish a car - and you can make your car look like that all the time (provided you never drive it ). It's hard work - takes me the better part of a day to do my car.

Note - it's not so much what you use to seal the car that makes it shine like that - it's the prep/polish work that you do before you seal it up. The final coating is more for protection although they all claim to make your car have an amazing shine.

TLX looks pretty good in that color.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
You can definitely get your future TLX, or your current car, to look that shiny with a bit of elbow grease and the proper tools.

It isn't very difficult work, but it is time consuming and you really need to know what you're doing. I can definitely understand why professional detailers charge so much.
Just buy a groupon. I bought one for detailing of my vehicle, I figure it would cost me more in buying rags and chemicals, and the professionals would do a better job.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Just buy a groupon. I bought one for detailing of my vehicle, I figure it would cost me more in buying rags and chemicals, and the professionals would do a better job.
If a detail shop is offering a groupon deal then they can't be that good, imo. With the "minor" detailing I do, to be in detailing as a profession is a labor of love. The good detailers charge "high" prices because they take care of the car and are willing to build a relationship with their customers rather than trying to get them in and out like a revolving door. Professional detailers build their reputation by quality of their work and references, not because of prices. Detailing really is all about "you get what you pay for" and I don't need some groupon deal detail shop charging me $15 to swirl up my vehicle with their rags they drop on the floor, the brushes they leave hanging out on the floor, and some cheap spray on wax.

Last edited by dezymond; 05-07-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 AM

OMG, if i had a white car...
no fkng swirls!
Old 05-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
If a detail shop is offering a groupon deal then they can't be that good, imo. With the "minor" detailing I do, to be in detailing as a profession is a labor of love. The good detailers charge "high" prices because they take care of the car and are willing to build a relationship with their customers rather than trying to get them in and out like a revolving door. Professional detailers build their reputation by quality of their work and references, not because of prices. Detailing really is all about "you get what you pay for" and I don't need some groupon deal detail shop charging me $15 to swirl up my vehicle with their rags they drop on the floor, the brushes they leave hanging out on the floor, and some cheap spray on wax.
Yeah you definitely get what you pay for. The detailers I know built their entire businesses on nothing but referrals. No advertising, no Groupons, just straight up hard work and attention to detail. They have zero issues filling up their calendars with appointments either. If anything, they can't keep up with the demand for their services.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Coatings are more for protection, and ease of cleaning than they are for elevating the finish. So it is definitely not some form of cheating.If it was, it would be no different than a show car glaze or other similar product with no longevity, but a killer short term boost.

Honestly while the final sealant/wax you use can give you some depth, shine, and gloss, what really accomplishes that more than anything is properly prepping the paint with polishes, compounds, etc.
The best wax/sealant/glaze will do little on a neglected, swirled up finish, but put the cheapest, lowest rated wax/sealant out there on a finish that had multiple stages of polish, and you will be amazed at the reflections, and shine.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
If you don't have experience apply coating you should not be applying it yourself. Save yourself a headache and let the professional do their job.

Search this Thread