AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-problems-fixes-420/)
-   -   Can't Drive Car While Door Is Open (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-problems-fixes-420/cant-drive-car-while-door-open-978257/)

jvah1980 03-25-2019 02:34 PM

Can't Drive Car While Door Is Open

This isn't really a problem or a fix, just a heads up. While thinking about some of the issues I've had with my TLX I realize I never got to share this little scenario.

Picture that super snowy winter day with a foot of snow on the car. You just need to move the car back a few feet so you can open your shed to get the snowblower out. Low and behold, you put the car in Reverse, door open, head out, hanging half out of the car to see behind you - tap the gas - it jerks a bit and shifts back to park.

You repeat this process again.... then again.... then anger starts swelling when you realize perhaps your transmission is fried. You try to move forward with the same results.. then try reverse again... just a jerk and a pop back to park.

You sit... and reluctantly think about what might be happening... then it occurs... is it because my driver door is open? You close the door, the car shifts fine and you feel like a jerk. Worse yet, you can't open your door to look back to safely back up with the foot of snow on your window.
Is Acura forcing us to just be a responsible adult?

justnspace 03-25-2019 02:55 PM

wtf,you dont have a back up cam?

jvah1980 03-25-2019 03:22 PM

It was covered in snow and ice!

a35tl 03-25-2019 05:13 PM

I may be wrong but I think if the seat belt is fastened, you can engage reverse with the door open. Haven't tried it but I think I read that somewhere.

BEAR-AvHistory 03-25-2019 07:51 PM

Not a unique Acura thing. Seems to be somewhat common with AT cars. Mine will not move with door open.

Midnight Mystery 03-25-2019 09:26 PM

Open the door after you're rolling, see what happems then?

TSXV6Guy 03-26-2019 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by a35tl (Post 16403174)
I may be wrong but I think if the seat belt is fastened, you can engage reverse with the door open. Haven't tried it but I think I read that somewhere.

This. The car puts itselft in Park when the driver's door is open AND the driver's seatbelt is not fastened.

upstyles 04-13-2019 04:25 PM

fasten your seatbelt and it will overide

jvah1980 04-15-2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by upstyles (Post 16411057)
fasten your seatbelt and it will overide

good call! Love these forums! Thank you.

mapleloaf 04-19-2019 12:38 AM

...and yes, perhaps it is a good thing to actually clean the car off and have proper visability......just saying:)

csmeance 04-19-2019 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by jvah1980 (Post 16403024)
This isn't really a problem or a fix, just a heads up. While thinking about some of the issues I've had with my TLX I realize I never got to share this little scenario.

Picture that super snowy winter day with a foot of snow on the car. You just need to move the car back a few feet so you can open your shed to get the snowblower out. Low and behold, you put the car in Reverse, door open, head out, hanging half out of the car to see behind you - tap the gas - it jerks a bit and shifts back to park.

You repeat this process again.... then again.... then anger starts swelling when you realize perhaps your transmission is fried. You try to move forward with the same results.. then try reverse again... just a jerk and a pop back to park.

You sit... and reluctantly think about what might be happening... then it occurs... is it because my driver door is open? You close the door, the car shifts fine and you feel like a jerk. Worse yet, you can't open your door to look back to safely back up with the foot of snow on your window.
Is Acura forcing us to just be a responsible adult?

Sounds like a prime way for owners to leave the door open, damage the door on their house, another car or object and sue acura for the damages! Thats why that sticker comes with new microwaves "don't put baby inside"

SHayat786 09-09-2020 02:36 PM

I drive a 2019 Acura TLX Aspec Sh-AWD and that is correct if the door is open it automatically shift to park you need to close the door to engage in any gear. I believe it is a safety feature.

spoiler900 09-09-2020 03:20 PM

IT WILL NOT GO INTO PARK IF YOU HAVE YOUR SEATBELT ON. This is due to push button shifter for safety incase someone forgets to put in park. If you want to drive with door open like original post mentioned and you have your seatbelt on it will NOT shift into park

SHayat786 09-23-2020 11:32 AM

You are correct I tried and yes when seatbelt is engage car will move with the door open.

bill88000 07-17-2021 11:33 PM

Just saying...Need the door open.

Originally Posted by mapleloaf (Post 16413619)
...and yes, perhaps it is a good thing to actually clean the car off and have proper visability......just saying:)

Just saying... I need to park 5 inches from my driveway curb. Front and back tires... so I can navigate my Can Am spyder tightly between my TLX and the stone wall on the other side of the narrow drive. So it is a legitimate inconvenience when the car slams to park when I open the door to see if I am close enough to the curb. No snow no safety issues just maneuvering my TLX. So it is good to know it simply requires the seatbelt buckled. Just saying.