C&D TLX V6 SH-AWD tested

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
C&D TLX V6 SH-AWD tested

Flame me all you want, it turned out it is (or better say a confirmation) a joke of a sport sedan....

2015 Acura TLX V-6 SH-AWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Interesting reading for some (rare) 4G SH-AWD owners that was even remotely thinking about "upgrading"...LOL

Popcorn ready!!
Old 09-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
We get it. You dont like the car. Funny thing is they also said that the infiniti g is sportier than the q50. Yet here you are talking like your car is an "upgrade".

Not even sure why you come here and keep on putting the tlx down... you have an infiniti now, stick to q50forums.
The following 2 users liked this post by mondster:
a35tl (09-26-2015), nore03 (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
The article just points out what a lot of people already agree with, the stock tires are ok for commutes and regular driving but a high performance summer tire is needed to bring out the most of the TLX.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
We get it. You dont like the car. Funny thing is they also said that the infiniti g is sportier than the q50. Yet here you are talking like your car is an "upgrade".

Not even sure why you come here and keep on putting the tlx down... you have an infiniti now, stick to q50forums.
At this point he is just a troll. No need to feed him.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
a35tl (09-26-2015), CoquiTSX (10-04-2015), youngTL (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow... big surprise. I've followed C&D for years, and if it doesn't come from Germany or cost six figures, they hate it. As car reviewers, they really don't have the ability to review something for what it is. No, it's not an Audi S4, or a Honda Accord - yet it costs far less than the former and is much more refined than the latter. Here's a few gems from the review:

C&D: "The stability-control system also cannot be fully disabled, limiting adhesion on the skidpad to a meager 0.82 g..."

OK, I drive a lot - about 35K per year - and I am an engaged driver. Aside from the occasional off-ramp, I'm not sure where I'm going to end up in a situation where even this level of grip is necessary. I can say that coming from my 1G TSX, which was raved about for handling, the my SH-AWD TLX hands-down handles way better. Could it use better tires? Sure, but I have the option to change them if I want. I don't go by a skidpad rating - I go by comparing to the same curves and roads I drove my TSX on hundreds of times, and there is a drastic difference. I can take corners far faster than I am even comfortable with in the TLX.

C&D: "Braking from 70 mph was similarly so-so at 174 feet."

Again, the TLX brakes harder and better than my TSX ever did, and according to almost any other review, it does fine. Most other tests put the TLX coming to a stop from 60 MPH in less than 140ft. Not sure how the extra 10 MPH adds 34 feet to the equation for C&D.

C&D: (in speaking of 0-60 times) "That benchmark takes 5.8 seconds and the quarter-mile is dispatched in 14.2 at 100 mph—comparable to a BMW 328i, Hyundai Genesis V-6, and Lexus ES350. But the TLX is about a second slower than the more-powerful BMW 335i and Infiniti Q50."

Um, yeah. I would expect it to be slower than cars costing 15K or 20K more. It is completely inline with its competition market. The TLX is damn fast off the line. I don't know if my butt could tell the difference between 5.8 sec and 5.1 sec. I do know that I can get into traffic from a standstill so fast that I have no issues pulling out. I don't think an extra second will make any difference for my needs.

C&D: "...And we’re still not sold on Acura’s push-button gear selector in place of an actual shift lever"

Seriously? What functional difference does the push button transmission not provide that a cable-connected stick does? I more miss the 6MT from my TSX, but as for having the choice of a button or a stick to put the car in drive or reverse? They are just looking for things to hate. If a BMW had electronic transmission engagement, it would be "we LOVE the modern push button transmission compared to the antiquated old-school cable-driven shifter used in so many non-cool, non-German cars these days."

C&D: "The instrument panel’s small, pixilated information screen already looks dated, however, and Acura’s two-tiered center displays are busy, redundant, and distracting in use."

As for the information panel in the instrument cluster, the damn thing is so small, how can it look pixelated? As for the two-tier displays, I hated it when I first saw it, but I have grown to appreciate having some controls at my fingertips and the option to show what I want up top. It's really a good design - some complain it's confusing that you can show the same thing on both, but I like that I can choose to set it up they way I want. I realize not everyone will be happy with it, but it's hands-down better than the Ford MySync system in my wife's F150. That thing is a horrid blunder in infotainment system design.

C&D: (speaking on price) "And a few grand more than our example’s as-tested $45,720 will unlock an Audi S4, a true, all-weather sports sedan."

Sure... it will "unlock" it, but similarly equipped? I don't think so. The TLX is in the same market as an A4. The S4 is clearly a completely different vehicle, even in Audi's eyes. Any they are damn fine automobiles (diesel scandal notwithstanding).

Bottom line for me. My last Acura went 225K miles with only one issue ever (aside from normal maintenance). I replaced the steering rack at 170K. It gave me 8 years of low-cost trouble-free bliss. My Acura before that gave me 160K miles of low-cost trouble-free bliss. The one before that was 140K.

Point is, ask BMW, Audi or Mercedes if they can do that. I think Acura provides exactly what I'm looking for as a buyer - great performance, reliability and upscale comfort/features that I can confidently keep for the long run.
The following 3 users liked this post by datadr:
CoquiTSX (10-04-2015), heogia (09-26-2015), Hoosier_TLX (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by accord1999
The article just points out what a lot of people already agree with, the stock tires are ok for commutes and regular driving but a high performance summer tire is needed to bring out the most of the TLX.
Right. Their basic complaint is the the consumer version of the TLX is not like the GT race car version. Duh Car and Driver.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
a35tl (09-26-2015), Hoosier_TLX (09-26-2015), Stew4HD (09-26-2015), youngTL (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
He's sad because the SH-AWD kicks his cars ass in cornering and over-all handling in real world testing. He and Kense get all testy when we tell the truth about it. It's not that anyone here says the Q50S sucks, it's just not all that and a bag of popcorn like they think it is.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Shocking!! Saturno gets all geeked up posting a negative bias review about the TLX on a TLX forum.

Before buying my TLX I spent hours researching every scrap of material about the TLX on every site or YouTube video and almost every single reviewer was positive and the only few that I could find that were negative were more of a personal nature (I don't like the xxx or the yyy is much smaller in the TLX than the TL). I spent many hours reading the posts on this forum and any other place I could and found the same from people who ACTUALLY own the car and again, most were happy and positive.

I'm very satisfied with my TLX and I don't need a rag like C&D to tell me how to feel about it.

What puzzles me most is why the OP is constantly trying to push his opinion on this forum. He obviously doesn't have a TLX so what is the point of commenting on something he really knows very little to nothing about. I don't go on forums for things I don't own and bash them because people are there to seek information and want to pass on items that other members might find useful. If you have some helpful advice or want to ask a question about the TLX feel free, but please stop trying to convince us how "bad" our car is.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
The TLX is a fine cruiser, but it did not retain the aggressive handling and feel of the TL before it. I'm a 4G owner, as was Saturno before. I agree with C&D's findings.
KeithL (10-04-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
The TLX is a fine cruiser, but it did not retain the aggressive handling and feel of the TL before it. I'm a 4G owner, as was Saturno before. I agree with C&D's findings.
While it did not retain the aggressive handling and feel, it was upgraded in other facets. I guess to him, the only basis of upgrade is making it sportier. As mentioned, they said the same thing about the g coupe and q50. Clearly both cars went with the luxury direction which sacrificed sportiness.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
While it did not retain the aggressive handling and feel, it was upgraded in other facets. I guess to him, the only basis of upgrade is making it sportier. As mentioned, they said the same thing about the g coupe and q50. Clearly both cars went with the luxury direction which sacrificed sportiness.
Correct. The purpose of the car has changed. I really feel like Acura's marketing is the one to have fucked this up. They should have marketed it for what it REALLY is - a sporting premium sedan, not a premium sports sedan. And for many of us, that's one reason we're buying or have bought it (mine is on order). I'm actually getting OUT of my 07 TL-S 6MT because it's too harsh in daily life on our frost-heaved roads, but the Lexus ES350 is too far over to the soft side, and the IS350 is a pig on fuel (plus the AWD in it isn't what I wanted, especially with that VERY annoying transfer case hump by the gas pedal!).

As a side note, I agree about the tires with them. I disagree about the gauge cluster screen. Why do you need a HUGE screen in between the gauges? You don't. I want my speedometer and tach to take up the majority of the cluster, and the MID screen is just supposed to be a little information screen. If you want a big screen, look over to the right at the actual navigation screen.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:56 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Right. Their basic complaint is the the consumer version of the TLX is not like the GT race car version. Duh Car and Driver.
I fully agree with datadr. What datadr said is so true to me.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datadr
Wow... big surprise. I've followed C&D for years, and if it doesn't come from Germany or cost six figures, they hate it. As car reviewers, they really don't have the ability to review something for what it is. No, it's not an Audi S4, or a Honda Accord - yet it costs far less than the former and is much more refined than the latter. Here's a few gems from the review:

C&D: "The stability-control system also cannot be fully disabled, limiting adhesion on the skidpad to a meager 0.82 g..."

OK, I drive a lot - about 35K per year - and I am an engaged driver. Aside from the occasional off-ramp, I'm not sure where I'm going to end up in a situation where even this level of grip is necessary. I can say that coming from my 1G TSX, which was raved about for handling, the my SH-AWD TLX hands-down handles way better. Could it use better tires? Sure, but I have the option to change them if I want. I don't go by a skidpad rating - I go by comparing to the same curves and roads I drove my TSX on hundreds of times, and there is a drastic difference. I can take corners far faster than I am even comfortable with in the TLX.

C&D: "Braking from 70 mph was similarly so-so at 174 feet."

Again, the TLX brakes harder and better than my TSX ever did, and according to almost any other review, it does fine. Most other tests put the TLX coming to a stop from 60 MPH in less than 140ft. Not sure how the extra 10 MPH adds 34 feet to the equation for C&D.

C&D: (in speaking of 0-60 times) "That benchmark takes 5.8 seconds and the quarter-mile is dispatched in 14.2 at 100 mph—comparable to a BMW 328i, Hyundai Genesis V-6, and Lexus ES350. But the TLX is about a second slower than the more-powerful BMW 335i and Infiniti Q50."

Um, yeah. I would expect it to be slower than cars costing 15K or 20K more. It is completely inline with its competition market. The TLX is damn fast off the line. I don't know if my butt could tell the difference between 5.8 sec and 5.1 sec. I do know that I can get into traffic from a standstill so fast that I have no issues pulling out. I don't think an extra second will make any difference for my needs.

C&D: "...And we’re still not sold on Acura’s push-button gear selector in place of an actual shift lever"

Seriously? What functional difference does the push button transmission not provide that a cable-connected stick does? I more miss the 6MT from my TSX, but as for having the choice of a button or a stick to put the car in drive or reverse? They are just looking for things to hate. If a BMW had electronic transmission engagement, it would be "we LOVE the modern push button transmission compared to the antiquated old-school cable-driven shifter used in so many non-cool, non-German cars these days."

C&D: "The instrument panel’s small, pixilated information screen already looks dated, however, and Acura’s two-tiered center displays are busy, redundant, and distracting in use."

As for the information panel in the instrument cluster, the damn thing is so small, how can it look pixelated? As for the two-tier displays, I hated it when I first saw it, but I have grown to appreciate having some controls at my fingertips and the option to show what I want up top. It's really a good design - some complain it's confusing that you can show the same thing on both, but I like that I can choose to set it up they way I want. I realize not everyone will be happy with it, but it's hands-down better than the Ford MySync system in my wife's F150. That thing is a horrid blunder in infotainment system design.

C&D: (speaking on price) "And a few grand more than our example’s as-tested $45,720 will unlock an Audi S4, a true, all-weather sports sedan."

Sure... it will "unlock" it, but similarly equipped? I don't think so. The TLX is in the same market as an A4. The S4 is clearly a completely different vehicle, even in Audi's eyes. Any they are damn fine automobiles (diesel scandal notwithstanding).

Bottom line for me. My last Acura went 225K miles with only one issue ever (aside from normal maintenance). I replaced the steering rack at 170K. It gave me 8 years of low-cost trouble-free bliss. My Acura before that gave me 160K miles of low-cost trouble-free bliss. The one before that was 140K.

Point is, ask BMW, Audi or Mercedes if they can do that. I think Acura provides exactly what I'm looking for as a buyer - great performance, reliability and upscale comfort/features that I can confidently keep for the long run.
I fully agree with datadr. What datadr said is so true to me.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
It's the rubber

This is the key quote:
The TLX, though, will never be a sports sedan until Acura makes it available with proper performance tires. Instead, very unsporty Goodyear LS2 all-season tires sit at each corner, sized 225/50R-18. While their tall sidewalls contribute to the TLX’s compliant ride, the tires simply lack the grip to exploit the SH-AWD’s potential.

That is almost precisely what reviewers were saying a year ago, and it is why I refused to even drive the car off the lot with that crap on it. With 19" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on it, it smokes my 2007 TL Type S in corners, and is just as fast on the straights. And it gets 36 mpg on the highway. I love this car.
a35tl (09-27-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Gotta love the 4G trolls/fanboys....
a35tl (09-27-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
This is the key quote:
The TLX, though, will never be a sports sedan until Acura makes it available with proper performance tires. Instead, very unsporty Goodyear LS2 all-season tires sit at each corner, sized 225/50R-18. While their tall sidewalls contribute to the TLX’s compliant ride, the tires simply lack the grip to exploit the SH-AWD’s potential.

That is almost precisely what reviewers were saying a year ago, and it is why I refused to even drive the car off the lot with that crap on it. With 19" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on it, it smokes my 2007 TL Type S in corners, and is just as fast on the straights. And it gets 36 mpg on the highway. I love this car.
I have to ask you two questions, since you did EXACTLY what I'm about to do (go from a 3G Type-S to a TLX SH-AWD):

1. What do you miss the most about the 3G that the TLX doesn't have, if anything?

2. What thing or quirk about the 3G do you say "good riddance" to, if anything?
Old 09-26-2015, 11:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
At this point he is just a troll. No need to feed him.
Trolling has nothing o do with it...just sadness for what Acura supposedly sport sedan has become....
Old 09-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
He's sad because the SH-AWD kicks his cars ass in cornering and over-all handling in real world testing. He and Kense get all testy when we tell the truth about it. It's not that anyone here says the Q50S sucks, it's just not all that and a bag of popcorn like they think it is.

Sure Stew....

Even it it were remotely true (it is not but congratulation on your vivid imagination) you still have to catch me in the straights.....
Old 09-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Banned

While it did not retain the aggressive handling and feel, it was upgraded in other facets.
I wish it was true...in reality other than being quieter it is not "upgraded" in any other aspects (well more modern tech that nowadays any other car gets even non premium ones) actually it is a downgrade....
Old 09-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ggesq
Gotta love the 4G trolls/fanboys....

....especially when they say the truth....
Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by datadr
Wow... big surprise. I've followed C&D for years, and if it doesn't come from Germany...., they hate it.
But the number of times Honda's (and other non-German makes) have made their 10 Best list clearly shows that not to be the case.

Note how Honda is #1 on the list for Top Marques, Top Manufacturers, and Top Models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_and_Driver_10Best

Top Ten Marques

From 1983 through 2008, the following marques were represented on the list the most times, including both the car and truck lists (except for the 2008 trucks).

Rank . . . Marque . . . Number of wins

1 . . . Honda . . . 73
2 . . . Toyota . . . 27
3 . . . BMW . . . 24
4 . . . Mazda . . . 23
5 . . . Chevrolet . . . 21
6 . . . Acura . . . 16
7 . . . Porsche . . . 15
7 . . . Nissan . . . 15
7 . . . Audi . . . 15
10 . . . Chrysler . . . 13

Top Manufacturers

Further breaking down the marques into their controlling manufacturers amplifies Honda's dominance of the contest over the last 25 years.

Rank . . . Manufacturer . . . Number of wins

1 . . . Honda Motor Company . . . 80
2 . . . Toyota Motor Company . . . 38
3 . . . General Motors . . . 31
4 . . . Chrysler Corporation . . . 30
5 . . . BMW . . . 24
6 . . . Mazda Motor Corporation . . . 23
7 . . . Volkswagen Group . . . 21
8 . . . Toyota Motor Corporation . . . 20
9 . . . Nissan Motor Company . . . 18
10 . . . Porsche AG . . . 15

Top Ten Models

From 1983 through 2013, the following individual models were represented on the list the most times. In 2007, Honda's Odyssey and Pilot trucks appeared in the top ten, a first for any truck.

Rank . . . Model . . . Number of wins

1 . . . Honda Accord . . . 29
2 . . . BMW 3-Series . . . 22
3 . . . Chevrolet Corvette . . . 15
4 . . . Mazda Miata . . . 14
4 . . . Porsche Boxster . . . 14
5 . . . Honda Prelude . . . 10
5 . . . Volkswagen GTI . . . 10
6 . . . Acura Integra and RSX . . . 8
6 . . . Ford Mustang . . . 8
7 . . . Ford Focus . . . 7
7 . . . Ford Taurus . . . 7
7 . . . Honda Fit . . . 7
7 . . . Honda Odyssey . . . 7
7 . . . Nissan 300ZX . . . 7
8 . . . BMW 5-Series . . . 6
8 . . . Honda Civic . . . 6
8 . . . Honda Pilot . . . 6
Old 09-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
....especially when they say the truth....
Too bad you posted this thread with no other intent other than to troll. Otherwise, it could have been something new to discuss objectively. Closed.

Last edited by ggesq; 09-27-2015 at 08:17 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ggesq:
07Acuradude (09-28-2015), a35tl (09-27-2015), mapleloaf (09-27-2015), Stew4HD (09-27-2015)