Notices

Buying a used 2015 TLX Tech SH-AWD

 
Old 05-09-2019, 04:08 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a used 2015 TLX Tech SH-AWD

I'm looking to buy my first car and I'm currently looking at a 2015 TLX Tech SH-AWD, but I've heard of many issues with the transmission, ATF warmer, vibrations, and others. What are the chances that the car I purchase will have one? I plan on doing a test drive but I feel like the transmission issues might not show and I'm wondering how the long-term reliability is on this car. Even if the car does have some problems is it still as expensive as a german luxury car?
bagp is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:12 PM
  #2  
6 Forward 1 Back
 
Speed_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 2,232
Received 199 Likes on 96 Posts
I think the consensus is if you have a choice look for at least 2016+ models. I wouldn't say it's as expensive to fix as german luxury cars, but you have a chance to avoid dealing with issues by skipping the first year models (2015).
Speed_Racer is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 PM
  #3  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer View Post
I think the consensus is if you have a choice look for at least 2016+ models. I wouldn't say it's as expensive to fix as german luxury cars, but you have a chance to avoid dealing with issues by skipping the first year models (2015).
Sadly thereís no 2016s for sale anywhere near me, and the ones that are sadly are way out of my budget. How much worse is the 2015? Just bad transmission shifts and faulty ATF warmer? I plan on test driving to see how much the transmission will bother me and will replacing the ATF warmer be a lot?
bagp is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:41 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 4,983
Received 637 Likes on 373 Posts
I would avoid any 15 V6. I had late model year 15 and while the tranny was better it still sucked. My 19 is far better, but still less than ideal. The 9AT ZF single handedly set back the TLX reputation light years.
KeithL is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:42 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 120
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my 15 SH-AWD, except for a few things which I'll list here:

- 2nd to 3rd gear shift issue, it is a bit of a thump when cold. There's a TSB out there (Link).

- electronic throttle is tame, but that's just life in the age of fuel economy regulations. You can buy a speed booster, like I did, and the throttle delay more or less goes away, leaving you with an "almost" perfect throttle. $250. If you don't care about punchy sporty feeling off the line, then you'll be happy with it.

- the navi screen is great, but the lower screen seems dated. it has a resistive touch screen, which just feels wrong in the age of smart phones

Other than that, it's fun to drive, the SH-AWD is amazing, the engine is great and plenty of power for me. The LED headlines are crystal clear at night.
terryt5231 is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 PM
  #6  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terryt5231 View Post
I love my 15 SH-AWD, except for a few things which I'll list here:

- 2nd to 3rd gear shift issue, it is a bit of a thump when cold. There's a TSB out there (Link).

- electronic throttle is tame, but that's just life in the age of fuel economy regulations. You can buy a speed booster, like I did, and the throttle delay more or less goes away, leaving you with an "almost" perfect throttle. $250. If you don't care about punchy sporty feeling off the line, then you'll be happy with it.

- the navi screen is great, but the lower screen seems dated. it has a resistive touch screen, which just feels wrong in the age of smart phones

Other than that, it's fun to drive, the SH-AWD is amazing, the engine is great and plenty of power for me. The LED headlines are crystal clear at night.
How bad is the transmission issue? Is it THAT noticeable and how often is it?
bagp is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 PM
  #7  
_
 
AZuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,195
Received 2,307 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by bagp View Post
How bad is the transmission issue? Is it THAT noticeable and how often is it?
You could end up like A-HFanboy. https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...t-tips-979398/

I'm guessing car drove fine during his test drive(s). The transmission issues appeared later.

If a 2017+ V6 model is out of your budget, then get the I4 over the V6. Problem solved.

Always avoid 1st (and sometimes even 2nd) year model cars.
AZuser is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 PM
  #8  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,137
Received 295 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser View Post
You could end up like A-HFanboy. https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...t-tips-979398/

I'm guessing car drove fine during his test drive(s). The transmission issues appeared later.

If a 2017+ V6 model is out of your budget, then get the I4 over the V6. Problem solved.

Always avoid 1st (and sometimes even 2nd) year model cars.

In this case, I'd just get a 2016 Accord V6 Touring or a 2014 Lexus IS/GS350 and have it ALL!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 131
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
You’re obviously well-educated on the TLX based on your first post - much better than most who go TLX shopping (including me when I headed to the dealer). You should use that shrewdness to search the forum for all sorts of lengthy discussions on your specific concerns. The 65-page transmission thread. The two or three nine-page expressway vibration threads.

We can’t tell you the right answer. We don’t know if the TLX you found will be good or bad for you. In this case, I’m with AZ and Midnight. I would probably be happier with an I4 A-Spec, an 18+ V6, an ES or an IS over my 15 V6 AWD TLX. If you want my recommendations for evaluating the specific TLX you want to buy, see here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-guide-976080/
You need to take it for a very, very long test drive. The key is to ask if the ZF9 has been replaced, and if not, make sure the TLX is under warranty. That way, you can take advantage of getting a new ZF9 if it qualifies for replacement. The replacement makes a world of difference.
someguy11 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 PM
  #10  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11 View Post
Youíre obviously well-educated on the TLX based on your first post - much better than most who go TLX shopping (including me when I headed to the dealer). You should use that shrewdness to search the forum for all sorts of lengthy discussions on your specific concerns. The 65-page transmission thread. The two or three nine-page expressway vibration threads.

We canít tell you the right answer. We donít know if the TLX you found will be good or bad for you. In this case, Iím with AZ and Midnight. I would probably be happier with an I4 A-Spec, an 18+ V6, an ES or an IS over my 15 V6 AWD TLX. If you want my recommendations for evaluating the specific TLX you want to buy, see here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-guide-976080/
You need to take it for a very, very long test drive. The key is to ask if the ZF9 has been replaced, and if not, make sure the TLX is under warranty. That way, you can take advantage of getting a new ZF9 if it qualifies for replacement. The replacement makes a world of difference.
How would I check if my vin is under any TSBs? I have the vin but I donít know which numbers of it to look at.
bagp is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:26 PM
  #11  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vin is the one Iím interested in starts in 19 and ends in a 00718. Donít really understand much about VINs
bagp is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:47 PM
  #12  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ends in 800718* is that a later 2015 TLX?
bagp is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 05:44 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 131
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bagp View Post
Ends in 800718* is that a later 2015 TLX?
No, you found yourself a very early model. The last six numbers are production sequence, so this is #718 of however many V6 SH-AWD were made in 2015 (guessing around 20,000?). I canít send a link to TSB 15-040 because Iím on my phone, but tranny replacement was covered up to something like #7700 for that first year. Yours is definitely included. If itís low mileage and mint condition, the ZF9 was probably a major reason it was traded in by a dissatisfied previous owner.
someguy11 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:40 AM
  #14  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11 View Post
No, you found yourself a very early model. The last six numbers are production sequence, so this is #718 of however many V6 SH-AWD were made in 2015 (guessing around 20,000?). I canít send a link to TSB 15-040 because Iím on my phone, but tranny replacement was covered up to something like #7700 for that first year. Yours is definitely included. If itís low mileage and mint condition, the ZF9 was probably a major reason it was traded in by a dissatisfied previous owner.
I live in Canada so does the tranny replacement still apply? I did contact them and they told me thereís powertrain warranty until November and the only tranny related thing they did was update the software in 2015
bagp is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 04:25 PM
  #15  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased the TLX and am extremely happy. Drove it for about 35 minutes and although I did feel the sight jerk it wasnít as bad as I expected. My friend used to drive me around a lot and he had a manual that made me carsick so honestly this doesnít bother me much. The driving dynamics are better than the Q50 I tested so I bought this.
bagp is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 05:42 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 131
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Alright buddy! Enjoy your new ride. Congrats and welcome to the family. Canadian, eh? You may notice some quirky, jerky shifts and lazy or weird shifting behavior periodically, but youíre probably good for the rest of spring and summer. My issues surfaced when it turned to fall or winter. I started getting jerked around when it dropped to under 30F and the last straw was when it was like 10F outside and it shifted so hard I hit my head on the headrest. So beware the ZF9 in the cold with your warranty expiring in Nov.
someguy11 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 05:48 PM
  #17  
Moderator
 
CheeseyPoofs McNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,651
Received 997 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by bagp View Post
Just purchased the TLX and am extremely happy. Drove it for about 35 minutes and although I did feel the sight jerk it wasnít as bad as I expected. My friend used to drive me around a lot and he had a manual that made me carsick so honestly this doesnít bother me much. The driving dynamics are better than the Q50 I tested so I bought this.
Congrats and welcome aboard! Forums tend to focus on the negative things about a car however there are many positives things you will enjoy too! My fist car was a POS Chevy Vega that was old as dirt - you're living the life with a TLX as your first!
CheeseyPoofs McNut is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 PM
  #18  
_
 
AZuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,195
Received 2,307 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut View Post
Congrats and welcome aboard! Forums tend to focus on the negative things about a car however there are many positives things you will enjoy too!


The waiting lounge at my local Acura dealer offers free wi-fi; free coffee, water, and soda; free snacks; cable tv... enjoy!

AZuser is offline  
The following users liked this post:
someguy11 (05-11-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Age: 56
Posts: 9
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your TLX.
I'm in Toronto and also have a 2015 TLX SHAWD since April 2018 and had the software update done about 3 months ago and when that didn't resolve the 1-2 and 2-3 hard shifts, I complained again and the dealer replaced the transmission, and subsequently also had to retighten the active engine mounts which has taken care of the hard shitfs with only an occasional and very minor jerk from 1-2.
During the time that my car was in the shop I was provided with 2 Loaners both 2019 TLX SHAWD, and what I also noticed was the ride in the two 2019 Loaners was way more comfortable than mine which feels very bumpy/jarring when going over pot holes and man-holes - can anyone also comment on this?
RBruce is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Lend27
Third Generation RDX (2019+)
46
Yesterday 07:53 PM
Tejas Sreenivasan
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
7
05-16-2019 11:16 AM
XILAR8N
Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
22
05-14-2019 02:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a used 2015 TLX Tech SH-AWD


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.