Blind Spot Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:13 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Blind Spot Information

Perhaps my BSI is not working correctly, but if I can see the car in my side view mirror before the BSI light is illuminated whats the point?

I do use the defensive driving mirror adjustment approach which may minimize the blind spot, but it seems to me BSI is not informative.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:01 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
If we all used defensive driving techniques all the time, we probably wouldn't need any of these nanny features. In a way, they make us a bit lazy regarding driving skills.

In any case, I've noticed what you're talking about, but the BSI system saved my bacon once when I did get lazy. It's just another check that may come in handy.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
but if I can see the car in my side view mirror before the BSI light is illuminated whats the point?
But if you can't see it, perhaps it is in the blind spot?

We're not always watching the side mirror in advance, more likely just as you plan your move, so it gives added assurance nobody is to your side. It's not a replacement for looking, but it can find a car you have not been aware of.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
The BSI saved me a big collisions, reducing it to a glancing blow. Was pulling into the left turn lane where the lane entrance started. Did my normal glance in the rear view mirror to be sure no one was there and started the turn. Needless to say I was looking where I was going at this point. Turn signal was on, as well which was good. BSI went off and I took avoiding action. Got grazed by a truck which was barreling up the divider area and not paying any attention. He was going about 3 times the prevalent traffic speed (light had just turned green, so traffic was mostly in startup speed.) The irony of it was that for the left turn, the light had already turned red, so there was nothing for him to gain by jumping the queue.

Cold have been worse.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jim256
But if you can't see it, perhaps it is in the blind spot?

We're not always watching the side mirror in advance, more likely just as you plan your move, so it gives added assurance nobody is to your side. It's not a replacement for looking, but it can find a car you have not been aware of.

When a car is truly in my blind spot, the light is off. Only when I can see the car in my side mirror does the light go off.

Acura's determination of blind spot position seems off.

I can watch the car come up, disappear into the blind spot, reappear in my side mirror. The light goes off only when I can see the car in the mirror.

Its really "Car on the side" monitor.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sbillard
The BSI saved me a big collisions, reducing it to a glancing blow. Was pulling into the left turn lane where the lane entrance started. Did my normal glance in the rear view mirror to be sure no one was there and started the turn. Needless to say I was looking where I was going at this point. Turn signal was on, as well which was good. BSI went off and I took avoiding action. Got grazed by a truck which was barreling up the divider area and not paying any attention. He was going about 3 times the prevalent traffic speed (light had just turned green, so traffic was mostly in startup speed.) The irony of it was that for the left turn, the light had already turned red, so there was nothing for him to gain by jumping the queue.

Cold have been worse.
This is "Car on your side" warning. Which is terrific if you don't look before you leap.

Still not a blind spot monitor though.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
To the original post: The blind spot area could be better on our TLX, I think we can all agree to that

Has anyone noticed the Mercedes blind spot? Ive never driven one but there's is on the exterior mirror so I can see it turn on as I past the car but holy crap those are TOO MUCH! Ours barely stays on long enough and could be extended a bit but theres is like 5 cars behind them to the left (exaggerated but you get the point). Theres also pics up curbs ive noticed when in the right lane at a red light there right blind spot indicator would be on. I think theres is way to much

Also, I wish ours worked at low speeds such as stop lights and not at 10mph+ (or whatever it is I forget) because hey, there is still a car there in the blind spot? I know in a parking spot is not needed but at low speeds and approaching a read light it would be helpfull.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
This is "Car on your side" warning. Which is terrific if you don't look before you leap.

Still not a blind spot monitor though.
No, it was blind spot. Triggered when the truck entered the blind spot area. It is just that he was going so much faster than I or the rest of the traffic he overtook and hit me before I could get out of his way.

The nice thing is that it was an audio alarm because I was signaling. (I was signaling the whole time, but the alarm did not sound until the truck entered the blind spot.)
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (03-16-2016)