Back up camera at night...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back up camera at night...

Just turned in my 2012 TL for a 2015 TLX two days ago. Went to back out of my driveway last night and was disgusted by the image quality of the back up camera. Called the dealer the next day and they told me to turn the brightness up, which I did. Still awful. And I mean AWFUL. It's nearly impossible to distinguish the gravel driveway from the grass due to all the noise. My 2012 was great. It made a dark night look like day. What happened? This one sucks in a brightly lit parking lot. Could it be a defective camera? Did the 2012 have infrared back up lights or something that made the image so clear and this one doesn't? I'll be dragging it back to the dealer for them to have a look but from what I've been reading here this is now the norm. And this is completely unacceptable if it is.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
maybe install brighter backup LED's
Old 09-18-2015, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mvp2765
maybe install brighter backup LED's
Agreed! I got a pair of these from ebay. They work pretty well.
"1400 Lumens 7443 2538 Chip White Backup Reverse High power LED Light Bulbs"
Old 09-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Definitely have the camera checked, mine works fine.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Quality of the back up camera is shitty compared to the previous gen. This holds true for the mdx as well.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (10-02-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I find the quality is just fine for daytime and compares favourable with my 2012 TSX Tech. Nighttime is decidedly less clear, but still does the job. I would agreed that brighter LEDS would likely help, but it's not a major issue for me.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Wait till it gets wet in the rain and you try backing up!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDogues
Just turned in my 2012 TL for a 2015 TLX two days ago. Went to back out of my driveway last night and was disgusted by the image quality of the back up camera. Called the dealer the next day and they told me to turn the brightness up, which I did. Still awful. And I mean AWFUL. It's nearly impossible to distinguish the gravel driveway from the grass due to all the noise. My 2012 was great. It made a dark night look like day. What happened? This one sucks in a brightly lit parking lot. Could it be a defective camera? Did the 2012 have infrared back up lights or something that made the image so clear and this one doesn't? I'll be dragging it back to the dealer for them to have a look but from what I've been reading here this is now the norm. And this is completely unacceptable if it is.
Yes I agree it's awful compared to my 2012 tl not sure what happened
Old 09-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

I found the same is true for my 2016 ILX: The resolution of the camera is inferior to my previous 2012 TSX. What's worse is that the night view is much worse than my girlfriend's 2015 Nissan Sentra that cost half the price of my ILX.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree...the 2012 TL backup camera was AWESOME! We have an ILX and the camera is shitty as with our former 2013 RDX. My 2015 IS350 F sport camera is AMAZING!

Why would the quality regress is beyond me!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
go old fashion!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree...the 2012 TL backup camera was AWESOME! We have an ILX and the camera is shitty as with our former 2013 RDX. My 2015 IS350 F sport camera is AMAZING!

Why would the quality regress is beyond me!
My guess would be due to the camera being standard equipment vs optional. Probably looked to cut cost.
BlueAquarian (10-02-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
If its the same camera as the '16 MDX the thing is useless at night. Good luck seeing anything behind you thru the tint. My '12 TL and our new '16 RDX have excellent cameras
Old 09-22-2015, 06:35 AM
Intermediate

I would think that making the camera standard rather than an option would have allowed Acura to get a lower (based on quantity) cost from the camera supplier for the same quality camera as used in the TSX and other earlier models. But they probably spec'd a cheaper camera to keep the base model cost down. Just like they made foglights an option on the lower level cars, and like eliminating the spare tire.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Take it the way you want, but coming from a 2013 Acura RDX I know what I am talking about.
My vehicle camera was very low quality; performance was very poor at night, in the rain and during the day it was nothing great. The 3 ways view proved quite useless to me (the pano view greatly distorts the image so I hated it)

The BMW camera is something else: high res, vivid colors, excellent at night and in the rain, dynamic lines, sensors all over the vehicle with a radar-like view. Yes, you got to spend $ in the "driver assistance package" but it is worthy in my opinion

note: I would compare them as having a gopro last generation against a cheapy chinese knockoff

Note: I understand Acuras are excellent for long term ownership. The atari-like nav, low quality camera, V6 w/ VCM, jerky trans, part-time AWD, and the such, are a PIA and boring, but THEY DO LAST FOREVER
Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
Take it the way you want, but coming from a 2013 Acura RDX I know what I am talking about.
My vehicle camera was very low quality; performance was very poor at night, in the rain and during the day it was nothing great. The 3 ways view proved quite useless to me (the pano view greatly distorts the image so I hated it)

The BMW camera is something else: high res, vivid colors, excellent at night and in the rain, dynamic lines, sensors all over the vehicle with a radar-like view. Yes, you got to spend $ in the "driver assistance package" but it is worthy in my opinion

note: I would compare them as having a gopro last generation against a cheapy chinese knockoff

Note: I understand Acuras are excellent for long term ownership. The atari-like nav, low quality camera, V6 w/ VCM, jerky trans, part-time AWD, and the such, are a PIA and boring, but THEY DO LAST FOREVER
And your BMW X3 is just such a thrill to drive? Not saying it's boring, but the RDX and X3 35i have basically the same ride. If it's a X3 28i then that's just sluggish.

I don't understand how VCM in the V6 is a bad thing? There's no need for those extra cylinders when you're just cruising, but when you want them you just throw it into sport and they're there for you. I highly doubt anyone could notice the VCM if they didn't know about it.

If Acura and BMW's rear view camera costed the same, I could see your point. But BMW's rear camera costs $1,000...for that much money I'd expect a 4K camera. Acura's 3-way view comes STANDARD on all of their new models. Definitely not something you can say about BMW. Yes, the video quality could be better on the Acura, but I think it does its job perfectly fine, all I need is the normal view and sometimes the top down view for parallel parking, which comes in handy and does it's job well. You get what you pay for, but with BMW that is not entirely true, because the camera you have is definitely not a $1,000 system.

All in all the RDX and X3 are great cars, it's just petty to complain about a rear view camera that Acura throws in as standard and then compare it to another camera that you have to pay an extra $1k for.
mapleloaf (10-04-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by atl7
And your BMW X3 is just such a thrill to drive? Not saying it's boring, but the RDX and X3 35i have basically the same ride. If it's a X3 28i then that's just sluggish.
Yes, the X3 is a thrill to drive, I have the 28i. The RDX takes off really nice but feels too light and unstable at high speeds, also it is not good taking turns hot and the 6 spd trans is very jerky in stop/go city traffic, apart from not being a full AWD system. Note: I owned a 2013 RDX w/ tech for 19 months

I don't understand how VCM in the V6 is a bad thing? There's no need for those extra cylinders when you're just cruising, but when you want them you just throw it into sport and they're there for you. I highly doubt anyone could notice the VCM if they didn't know about it.
It is a bad thing when it causes a subtle vibration in the vehicle at 35-45 mph, felt mostly at steering wheel and pedals, and also at highway speeds (~80mph). I dont care about saving 2 mpg if the cost is vibration

If Acura and BMW's rear view camera costed the same, I could see your point. But BMW's rear camera costs $1,000...for that much money I'd expect a 4K camera. Acura's 3-way view comes STANDARD on all of their new models. Definitely not something you can say about BMW. Yes, the video quality could be better on the Acura, but I think it does its job perfectly fine, all I need is the normal view and sometimes the top down view for parallel parking, which comes in handy and does it's job well. You get what you pay for, but with BMW that is not entirely true, because the camera you have is definitely not a $1,000 system.
To educate you, the driver assistance package costs $1000 but it includes a hi-res/vivid colors/perform well at all times camera, front and rear sensors with proximity warning, radar-like views, dynamic lines and object detection. I would prefer if it were free but if not, I am willing to pay $1000 if I getting this quality and number of features

Basically what I am trying to say is that I was very disappointed with the backup camera of the RDX that I owned. I believe that Acura [has the means and] could have developed a much better camera for its vehicles but I can clearly see how they continue taking shortcuts

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 10-02-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Racer

Yes, the X3 is a thrill to drive, I have the 28i. The RDX takes off really nice but feels too light and unstable at high speeds, also it is not good taking turns hot and the 6 spd trans is very jerky in stop/go city traffic, apart from not being a full AWD system. Note: I owned a 2013 RDX w/ tech for 19 months

It is a bad thing when it causes a subtle vibration in the vehicle at 35-45 mph, felt mostly at steering wheel and pedals, and also at highway speeds (~80mph). I dont care about saving 2 mpg if the cost is vibration

To educate you, the driver assistance package costs $1000 but it includes a hi-res/vivid colors/perform well at all times camera, front and rear sensors with proximity warning, radar-like views, dynamic lines and object detection. I would prefer if it were free but if not, I am willing to pay $1000 if I getting this quality and number of features

Basically what I am trying to say is that I was very disappointed with the backup camera of the RDX that I owned. I believe that Acura [has the means and] could have developed a much better camera for its vehicles but I can clearly see how they continue taking shortcuts
You really think that throwing on a few sensors in the front and back in a addition to a 720p camera justifies the $1k they charge? The real question is, you'd rather pay $1,000 for BMW's rear camera and parking sensors (I do agree that front sensors would come in handy every now and then, but I don't understand, considering that you have a camera) than just get Acura's multi-view system for free? I don't see why you need rear object detection, my camera has no issue displaying the objects behind me. For a base model, I think the camera they throw in is great, maybe with the Tech or Advance model they could throw in a little higher res camera, but there really isn't a big enough problem with the system to do that. Once again, of course the BMW rear view system is going to be better considering their's is $1k and Acura's is standard.

And as for the VCM I feel a tiny vibration, whether that be from the 9-speed transmission or the VCM. Either way it's way too slight of a vibration to make a complaint. Maybe it's a defect or just part of the system, oh well it's saving me money. I have been achieving 37-38 mpg in my V6 on the highway so I believe it's a little higher than 2 mpg.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Ero
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oracion
Agreed! I got a pair of these from ebay. They work pretty well.
"1400 Lumens 7443 2538 Chip White Backup Reverse High power LED Light Bulbs"
Do they cause 'bulb out' warning? How difficult is the install? Considering getting them ... $17 a pair, can't really go wrong.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Instructor

You really think that throwing on a few sensors in the front and back in a addition to a 720p camera justifies the $1k they charge? The real question is, you'd rather pay $1,000 for BMW's rear camera and parking sensors (I do agree that front sensors would come in handy every now and then, but I don't understand, considering that you have a camera) than just get Acura's multi-view system for free? I don't see why you need rear object detection, my camera has no issue displaying the objects behind me. For a base model, I think the camera they throw in is great, maybe with the Tech or Advance model they could throw in a little higher res camera, but there really isn't a big enough problem with the system to do that. Once again, of course the BMW rear view system is going to be better considering their's is $1k and Acura's is standard.

And as for the VCM I feel a tiny vibration, whether that be from the 9-speed transmission or the VCM. Either way it's way too slight of a vibration to make a complaint. Maybe it's a defect or just part of the system, oh well it's saving me money. I have been achieving 37-38 mpg in my V6 on the highway so I believe it's a little higher than 2 mpg.

Sorry pal, but you gotta increase your expectations in life. If we all accept mediocrity, then mediocrity will become the new 'standard'
2012wagon (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Quality of the back up camera is shitty compared to the previous gen. This holds true for the mdx as well.

Agree. I am not sure why Acura can't do good quality back up camera.

My 2012 TSX has the same horrendous rear camera as the 2015 ILX/2015 TLX I have had as long term loaners.

Even the Nissan Rogue rental had a better camera than the Acura 1988 graphics.

Our 2013 Lexus is almost Iphone like, compared to Acura.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
complete agree. the camera on the 15 tlx is complete SHIT. went to the dealer and they told me to brighten up the camera. I did and you know what? still SHIT. very disappointed I spent 51k with a camera that looks like a fucking kia.
2012wagon (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WHS_DarthVADERTL
they told me to brighten up the camera. I did and you know what? still SHIT.
How did you brighten the camera?
Old 10-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Racer

Sorry pal, but you gotta increase your expectations in life. If we all accept mediocrity, then mediocrity will become the new 'standard'
How ignorant. Yep exactly dude, that explains why I bought an almost loaded Acura TLX and not a Honda! Sounds like you went for mediocrity too, since you got a 28i and not a 35i, guess you wanted to be like the other 65% of cars in the U.S. with a 4 cylinder. Nice hideous piece of black plastic in the middle of your rear bumper by the way. Thank God the RDX's is much more subtle and appealing.

Oh yeah my expectations are just so low in life because I'm not bent out of shape that my backup camera isn't in 1080p. No, I don't care much for it because I actually know how to drive and back a vehicle up. If you always need a backup camera for going in reverse you should take some driving lessons. But hey, what do I know I'm mediocre.

I think I'm just being realistic by not having such high expectations for a stupid rear view camera that people shouldn't be relying on to backup.
mapleloaf (10-04-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Instructor

How ignorant. Yep exactly dude, that explains why I bought an almost loaded Acura TLX and not a Honda! Sounds like you went for mediocrity too, since you got a 28i and not a 35i, guess you wanted to be like the other 65% of cars in the U.S. with a 4 cylinder. Nice hideous piece of black plastic in the middle of your rear bumper by the way. Thank God the RDX's is much more subtle and appealing.

Oh yeah my expectations are just so low in life because I'm not bent out of shape that my backup camera isn't in 1080p. No, I don't care much for it because I actually know how to drive and back a vehicle up. If you always need a backup camera for going in reverse you should take some driving lessons. But hey, what do I know I'm mediocre.

I think I'm just being realistic by not having such high expectations for a stupid rear view camera that people shouldn't be relying on to backup.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For what it's worth, doing a side by side of a 2011 RL backup camera vs the 2015 TLX and the difference is stark. You can actually see very well with the 2011 camera, the TLX, meh. Blurry and somewhat dark. I wonder if I could retro one of those older cameras into my TLX.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

THis issue under discussion is getting blown somewhat out of proportion. Let's concede that the camera is marginal at night on Acura's and more than clear enough during the day (IT is at least equal to my 12 TSX and clearer than my 14 Altima). Since this is a TLX forum, I will mention that with my superior Cross Traffic Monitoring system (educated opinion, but then this word gets thrown around by others) i don't worry too much about resolution. I also understand that although I get a superior SH-AWD (documented), excellent fuel economy, and a very attractive interior where nothing looks glued on to the dash (slight exaggeration), I know that I can't pay the lowest price and get the best of everything.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
First
world
problem
mapleloaf (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 04:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WHS_DarthVADERTL
complete agree. the camera on the 15 tlx is complete SHIT. went to the dealer and they told me to brighten up the camera. I did and you know what? still SHIT. very disappointed I spent 51k with a camera that looks like a fucking kia.
My 2015 TLX camera does suck. My 2014 Kia Forte has an excellent camera, so you probably would want a camera that looks like a "f***ing" Kia.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LAMike240
Wait till it gets wet in the rain and you try backing up!
Ran into that one this weekend with all the rain.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
What else would you expect? Looks lust like windshield if you do not turn the wipers on. Keep a rag in the trunk and wipe it clean when conditions permit.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quandry
What else would you expect? Looks lust like windshield if you do not turn the wipers on. Keep a rag in the trunk and wipe it clean when conditions permit.
A drip edge? That picture was before I left...rain literally runs off the back of the trunk and onto the lens. Other vehicles I've owned typically don't do that unless you've been driving for a while and there is grime and crap on there.

Shrug. Not a big deal to me really but a small plate or some level of a recess could eliminate this getting covered while sitting in the drive. VW actually has a flip out camera so it never has this issue but of course that's one more thing to break.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
A flip out would be good, but as you say one more thing to break. The airflow around the rear of this car, and most aerodynamically designed cars, attract any water or precipitation and the lens get dirty quite quickly. A handy rag works well. You could also try some RainX on it.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone back into something using the camera? Anyone watching videos using the camera? If the answer to both questions is no, i humbly suggest we all may want to focus on other priorities…or install a used KIA one

Last edited by mapleloaf; 10-05-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Ero
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Anyone back into something using the camera? Anyone watching videos using the camera? If the answer to both questions is no, i humbly suggest we all may want to focus on other priorities…or install a used KIA one
I did!!! Not the camera's fault though, I was too busy watching the side-view mirror to not scratch my rim
Old 10-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Maltlx
A drip edge? That picture was before I left...rain literally runs off the back of the trunk and onto the lens. Other vehicles I've owned typically don't do that unless you've been driving for a while and there is grime and crap on there.

Shrug. Not a big deal to me really but a small plate or some level of a recess could eliminate this getting covered while sitting in the drive. VW actually has a flip out camera so it never has this issue but of course that's one more thing to break.
Was one of my dealbreakers for the GTI. The noise was jarring!

Also, good idea about putting Rain-X on the lens. I'll do that tonight!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crownr0yal
Was one of my dealbreakers for the GTI. The noise was jarring!

Also, good idea about putting Rain-X on the lens. I'll do that tonight!
I've never heard one...it actually makes a jarring racket? Maybe it was the crappy VW drivetrain shifting into reverse

Yeah, Rain-x is a good idea. I think I'll try that as well.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I guess the point is it is not that hard to find a camera that works. I installed a backup cam on my 2006 TSX that I bought from eBay. Worked great day or night. I used the TLX camera for the first time at night tonight and it really does suck. Practically useless. During the day it looks great to me, how could they get it so wrong at night. The cross traffic monitoring system works very well though. But a back up cam is easy, hard to get wrong. How did they manage to screw this one up?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

It does look clear in the daylight, so perhaps it's a question of lighting or an issues with the lens set-up. I think for those that can't live with that, a replacement mod may be in order.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Just drove my 2014 MDX. Noticed green grass in the backup camera. Interesting. I may mention it next TLX service, that the camera is grainy and the color is whacked.

Quick Reply: Back up camera at night...