Auto wipers and snowy days

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Auto wipers and snowy days

How does everyone find the performance of the auto wipers on days with light snow or flurries? For me, they either don't engage when I need them or wipe continuous for no apparent reason. I realize they were designed for rain, but up in snow country, I don't find them useful at all, and wish I could just have a greater intermittent/delay range which I can control.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I have been very happy with the way my wipers worked during the first six months of ownership. In fact I would use the words "very impressed". However yesterday was the first time I drove my RDX during light snow flurries. I honestly thought that they had broken down, because despite the fact that I was having trouble seeing clearly, they never operated. I had to keep turning them on and off manually in order to drive.

When I got home I threw a handful of snow over the windshield sensor and they worked normally again. I'm hoping that this was just a "perfect" set of conditions that does not occur very frequently.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Where is the sensor?
Old 01-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
It is behind the rear view mirror in the same area as the LKAS camera. The following is from the owners manual for my RDX.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad346
How does everyone find the performance of the auto wipers on days with light snow or flurries? For me, they either don't engage when I need them or wipe continuous for no apparent reason. I realize they were designed for rain, but up in snow country, I don't find them useful at all, and wish I could just have a greater intermittent/delay range which I can control.
Was out in the snow today - mine would work for a minute then start running full-time and never shut off. I turned them off then on again and got the same thing. Frankly I would rather have the old school intermittent wiper.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Was out in the snow today - mine would work for a minute then start running full-time and never shut off. I turned them off then on again and got the same thing. Frankly I would rather have the old school intermittent wiper.
Me too. In fact, until I read the manual again, I thought the old skool intermittent feature was still available because it wasn't obvious when I looked at the control stick. I thought the ring could put the mode into auto or intermittent. Frankly, they should have included that feature as well because on snowy days where there is a lot of spray from other cars on the road or just wet snow, the auto feature is pretty useless.

A few days ago my FCW malfunction indicator actually came on because the wipers weren't cleaning the stuff off the glass fast enough! The BRAKE warning kept on showing.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Me too. In fact, until I read the manual again, I thought the old skool intermittent feature was still available because it wasn't obvious when I looked at the control stick. I thought the ring could put the mode into auto or intermittent. Frankly, they should have included that feature as well because on snowy days where there is a lot of spray from other cars on the road or just wet snow, the auto feature is pretty useless.
Same here, I thought I was missing something so I went back to read the manual and was really surprised we only have the auto mode available.

I really don't like the wipers. Sometimes in light rain they go crazy and speed up for a few minutes. I wish I had my TL wipers in this car.

And while I'm complaining...I don't like the fact that the rearview mirror goes into night mode automatically. I never used that feature in my TL, it's too dark for me.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The auto wipers actually use the intermittent control. It seems to raise or lower the threshold at which they wipe. It snows all the time here and during flurries I found them to work ok somewhere in the middle.