Auto Idle Stop

Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Vancouver Island BC

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto Idle Stop

I have a v6 advanced (elite in Canada). The auto idle stop worked for the first week. It now doesn't come on even when pressing brake firmly. I can dis in-gauge by pressing on button by brake hold, but can't find out how to re in-gauge or what I might have done to shut it off.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The rest of us would love to know how you made that happen. That is the only thing I don't particularly like about the SH-AWD.
The following users liked this post:
TNTransplant (01-05-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the similar issue, however sometimes it will work and other times I get a message stating that it is unavailable. I thought that it could have possibly been because i was using too many other auxillary things (wipers, heated seats, nav, radio, etc.), but even after I turned off most of them, the idle stop still would not work. I plan to visit the dealership shortly to see what the issue is.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Maybe it does not like the colder temperatures (who does), but could be that the available charge in the battery is low as repeated starting could drain it.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See the following technical training video for details:

ECC07-Non-Hybrid Idle Stop

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...videos-915166/
Old 01-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for posting this response which leads to the technical training videos. I had ignored the training videos previously. After viewing this video I am now going watch all the other training videos also. I like to know how things work and this training video provided a lot of information.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
There are numerous factors that determine whether Idle Stop is available. Battery status, humidity, defrost operation, etc. I noticed in particular when it warmed up here a few weeks ago and was above freezing, the humidity and prevented the system from being available. Excessive cold drains the battery more, so again, bot typically available. 10 below C or so, it generally is available.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Doesn't Sport or Sport+ mode disable it it thought?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
Doesn't Sport or Sport+ mode disable it it thought?
No, sadly, it doesn't. As of now, there is no way to keep Idle Stop disabled for the next start up. We have to push the button each time we start it to disable it.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Sport + disables the idle start/stop system; Sport does not.

It also won't engage under certain conditions such as an engine that hasn't warmed up yet; if its excessively cold, or humid; etc..

There are prompts available in the computer system for the start/stop which will flash info in your dash such as the system is "unavailable" when the computer determines not to shut the engine, or if you are stopped with the engine off, and it needs to refire prior to taking your foot off the brake. You just need to turn them off, and on.
Stew4HD (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I have yet to drive in Sport+. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
One interesting tidbit I picked up from the technical video: the system monitors the number of start-stop cycles and, once a predetermined number of cycles have occurred, suspends the start-stop feature and informs the driver to... replace the starter.

This answers one of my concerns re: accelerated starter wear!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Acura needs to get with the competition. My A6 there is a single button I press and it remember the previous state on whether to engage start/atop or not. I really want o come back to Acura, but they keep doing annoying things.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Acura needs to get with the competition. My A6 there is a single button I press and it remember the previous state on whether to engage start/atop or not. I really want o come back to Acura, but they keep doing annoying things.
I keep hoping that they will 'fix' this. So far, that is the only thing about the car that annoys me.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I keep hoping that they will 'fix' this. So far, that is the only thing about the car that annoys me.
Should be an easy firmware fix. I am hoping the SH-AWD will become more available in Atlanta and may consider one. There are still some annoying things about the dual screens that turn me off, but I am sure I can get past them. It would suck to have to remember to disable start/stop every day.

At some point you have to wonder if the Feds will force them to leave it enabled at every start or always, after all I am sure the MPG sticker reflects using start/stop and maybe at some point the feds will consider bypassing it gaming the numbers.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Should be an easy firmware fix. I am hoping the SH-AWD will become more available in Atlanta and may consider one. There are still some annoying things about the dual screens that turn me off, but I am sure I can get past them. It would suck to have to remember to disable start/stop every day.

At some point you have to wonder if the Feds will force them to leave it enabled at every start or always, after all I am sure the MPG sticker reflects using start/stop and maybe at some point the feds will consider bypassing it gaming the numbers.
I think they can do it via software update and hope they do. They could implement that PITA "Agree" screen like we used to have to do in the 3G/4G for Nav.

The dual screens are actually pretty nice once you learn them. I like that I can keep the nav up and have the second screen to do everything else.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I'd bet that's already happened.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
They can't advertise mpgs using a system like start/stop which can be turned off, and left off.

Talk to any Corvette owner about anything features to bump up the mpg stats. Skip shift anyone?

Personally for me, I've become fairly good at modulating the brake pedal to use the system as I want.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is the response from ACR regarding my email complaint about not being able to disable the feature and have it stay off:

Your valuable comments pertaining to the operation of the Auto Idle Stop feature are documented in the reference file below. Our design and engineering teams have access to this file for review. We have confirmed there are currently no campaigns (safety recall or product update) regarding the Auto Idle Stop feature. You have the option of disabling the system using the on/off switch which we have confirmed resets with ignition cycle.
I will get used to either just pushing the button, turning the steering wheel slightly at a stop or using the brake lightly.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm sorry but the fact that you "need" to press a button on the electronic shifter to disable Idle Stop doesn't seem to me like a deal breaker. I prefer to have it on unless I disengage it. In stop and go traffic or drive-thrus, saving some gas is not a bad thing. and if you don't like it, take that precious 1 second to PUSH THE BUTTON. if that is keeping you from coming back to Acura, me thinks you won't be coming back.

I guess because I also own an Altima 2014 and occasionally spend time on that forum, that I appreciate my car more than some. It perhaps gives me some perspective. I have never looked forward to driving a vehicle as much as I do my 3.5 TLX SH-AWD Tech.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
They can't advertise mpgs using a system like start/stop which can be turned off, and left off.

Talk to any Corvette owner about anything features to bump up the mpg stats. Skip shift anyone?

Personally for me, I've become fairly good at modulating the brake pedal to use the system as I want.
My A6 advertises an MPG which also has start/stop and it can be permanently left off. I guess the question is whether Audi calculated their MPG sticker with start/stop enabled?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I'm sorry but the fact that you "need" to press a button on the electronic shifter to disable Idle Stop doesn't seem to me like a deal breaker. I prefer to have it on unless I disengage it. In stop and go traffic or drive-thrus, saving some gas is not a bad thing. and if you don't like it, take that precious 1 second to PUSH THE BUTTON. if that is keeping you from coming back to Acura, me thinks you won't be coming back.
I know some of us are picky, it is like the damn OK nag screen every time you turn the car on, why does Acura do it, my Infiniti and Audi never do it. Why have to hit a start/stop disengage every time, etc. All those minor annoyances add up and at some point they become deal breakers for people.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 AM
Suzuka Master

FYI, the "OK" Nav screen prompt has gone away
Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know some of us are picky, it is like the damn OK nag screen every time you turn the car on, why does Acura do it, my Infiniti and Audi never do it. Why have to hit a start/stop disengage every time, etc. All those minor annoyances add up and at some point they become deal breakers for people.
I guess it's a question of whether Acura thinks most people will want it on or off. I do not believe the Forum represents the typical driver, particularly Acura driver who wants a blend of fuel economy, safety, and performance. I suspect that is less the case with some German manufacturers' clients. If I want them off, I will turn them off. If I want them on, I will do so (Brake hold). Ditto with safety features. It's a hard balance to find. I am personally more concerned with reliability, especially longer term reliability, and those stats have favoured Acura in the past. in 6 years of owning TSXs, not a single problem. Today's electronics tend to be more finicky, but for the most part they do not affect basically driving the vehicle.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
It would nice if at least Acura made it a "learned" feature...in other words, when you de-activate the start/stop button, it would remember it. Almost like a switch than remains engaged....when pushed in, it would activate the start/stop and when the button is not depressed, the start/stop feature would be off.

They could calculate the city fuel ratings with the start/stop feature and have that listed in their mile long disclaimers (lol)

My 2 cents....
Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde

Actually now it seams as though it can be turned off via a programmer. Idle stop, It would piss me off to not be able to disable the system, and i wouldnt want it. Not having the system remember my last setting would annoy me.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

I guess because I also own an Altima 2014 and occasionally spend time on that forum, that I appreciate my car more than some. It perhaps gives me some perspective. I have never looked forward to driving a vehicle as much as I do my 3.5 TLX SH-AWD Tech.
Im sorry, i disagree. I shouldnt HAVE to press a button to turn something off EVERY time i get in the car to turn something on or disable something. Things like this SHOULD be a learning system or have at minimum a selection in a menu to have a setting to default to on or off.
Stew4HD (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

More learned features would be nice. Perhaps the best and cheapest solution would be to add Brake hold and Idle Stop to the Preferences in the Heads Up Menu, much as BSW for example. You could also add Heated Seats with start up to the same menu. This works nicely for IDS choices as well.

I suspect folks would pay a little more for those choices. However, I am a button guy, so the current options work fine for me. I have my quick airline pilot checklist after starting up the car
Old 01-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
We are in the digital era and accustomed to customization all our electronic devices, and the automotive industry is playing catchup.

Examples of "states" they have got right (not just with this car) between turning the car off/on:
- Cruise/Main (remembers last setting)
- Climate Control (remembers last setting)
- Rear Window Defogger (always off when car started)

"States" that need to be tweaked
- Idle/stop (needs to remember last setting)
- Brake Hold (needs to remember last setting)
- Heated Windshield (do not turn it on automatically in cold weather, but this is likely done for those drivers who do not know about the feature or where to find the switch)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

So drove 63 km in the city and during the day today in my 3.5 SH-AWD. Temperature was -18 C and very blustery. The longest errand stretch was about 18k and with the Idle stop kicking in at most lights and a fair bit of continuous driving without stops, I average 9.0 l/100 km (31 mpg Canada, 25 mpg US. That was pretty impressive, especially as i have just over 1300k on the car. Perhaps the Idle Stop helped
9SpeedTran (01-18-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
So drove 63 km in the city and during the day today in my 3.5 SH-AWD. Temperature was -18 C and very blustery. The longest errand stretch was about 18k and with the Idle stop kicking in at most lights and a fair bit of continuous driving without stops, I average 9.0 l/100 km (31 mpg Canada, 25 mpg US. That was pretty impressive, especially as i have just over 1300k on the car. Perhaps the Idle Stop helped
YES! I have similar experiences here too - despite our -18C weather, once the car warms up, the idle stop will start to work, and my gas mileage continues to be great like yours. I also think that the idle stop helps :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by ostrich:
9SpeedTran (01-18-2015), Bruce Dow (01-18-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 06:06 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Just curious (since I have a 4 cylinder TLX), but does anyone with a hybrid have a comparison of the restart of the engine from a vehicle stop on the TLX V6 to the restart on a hybrid? I have a '13 Lexus ES 300h, as well, and most times when you accelerate from a stop the engine will start. There I'm getting motor generator power as well, and the car moves off but will give a slight tug or rumble as the engine (2.5L 4 cyl) starts. Nothing annoying, but part of the process once you understand all the hybrid's 2 generators, engine, and CVT are doing. It's my third hybrid, so I'm used to all that is going on, but I would be interested in comments from someone who has the V6 TLX since I may be looking at a Honda/Acura product with the V6 later this year. I think Toyota has done a great job of making it a good drivetrain, and have found on the Lexus boards that people who over think "how do I drive a hybrid?" tend to have more issues. BTW, after 2 years, 41 mpg on regular gas on the 300h.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I also find that it's generally quite easy to avoid engaging the idle stop by feathering the brake when stopping (i usually drive so that I don;t need to do much sudden braking)…assuming that is that you forgot to turn it off if so inclined. After experience I would say it's only engages about 50% of the time depending upon weather and other electrical functions are working significantly and draining battery power.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
9SpeedTran (01-18-2015), Bruce Dow (01-18-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
You can't compare a hybrid and non-hybrid. The non-hybrid uses a "regular" starter which uses a solenoid to engage, start the engine and then disengage. Hybrids use an electric motor mounted in series with the engine (honda technology) or in parallel (toyota technology) that doubles-up as an engine starter. Therefore, hybrid re-starts or starts are smooth and almost imperceptible.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

I also find that it's generally quite easy to avoid engaging the idle stop by feathering the brake when stopping (i usually drive so that I don;t need to do much sudden braking)…assuming that is that you forgot to turn it off if so inclined. After experience I would say it's only engages about 50% of the time depending upon weather and other electrical functions are working significantly and draining battery power.
Have you noticed that when you do the "feathering" of the brake at a stop that the car doesn't always downshift into 1st? The system doesn't seem to like "California Stops". Also, it seems the car needs to come to a full stop for a period of time (1-3 seconds?) before it drops to 1st.

What I am getting at is that when it doesn't downshift like expected, the car will jump into first when accelerating from the near stop causing the same lurch forward as the car does when the engine stops and starts while you've pushed the pedal down. I hope I have explained this well enough.

IMO, they need a software fix for this as well as the "stay off" Idle stop.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts

What I am getting at is that when it doesn't downshift like expected, the car will jump into first when accelerating from the near stop causing the same lurch forward as the car does when the engine stops and starts while you've pushed the pedal down. I hope I have explained this well enough.
Aye - the DCT does the same on occasion when coasting slowly then tapping the gas before you stop - sometimes you'll get a quick "jump" forward as if it guessed the wrong gear. I don't get it much anymore so maybe I've subconsciously trained myself how to avoid it. I wish they had something that would always display what gear you're in - you could easily flick the paddle shifter when needed.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Have you noticed that when you do the "feathering" of the brake at a stop that the car doesn't always downshift into 1st? The system doesn't seem to like "California Stops". Also, it seems the car needs to come to a full stop for a period of time (1-3 seconds?) before it drops to 1st.

IMO, they need a software fix for this as well as the "stay off" Idle stop.
Haven't noticed that, perhaps it's a function of how little pressure one is using. Will experiment and see. I know one thing….the nine speed takes some getting used to, but I am getting there
Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 AM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I will start by saying that I like the idle stop. But I realize that there are some situations where I don't want it to engage. (Like when I know that the stop will be very brief.) Feathering the brake is key, but takes some practice. There is a "sweet spot" where you CAN engage the Brake Hold, but NOT engage the Idle Stop.
9SpeedTran (01-18-2015)