Aspec vs. Advanced?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Aspec vs. Advanced?

So I am searhing through the threads and trying to figure out on the TLX 2019 what is the real differences between AWD versions of A-Spec and Advance. The Acura.com website shows very little, but the PDF show there may be more differences, such as remote start, auto dimming side view mirrors,360 cameras and some other minor things. Both seem to indicate all the Acura Watch (BLIS, LKAS, ACC, Road Departure) features are in both. The areas I can;t be 100% sure on since the PDF and the website differ:

- rain sensing wipers
- Head up warning for CMBS
- vented front seats

Can anyone help clear this up.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
So I am searhing through the threads and trying to figure out on the TLX 2019 what is the real differences between AWD versions of A-Spec and Advance. The Acura.com website shows very little, but the PDF show there may be more differences, such as remote start, auto dimming side view mirrors,360 cameras and some other minor things. Both seem to indicate all the Acura Watch (BLIS, LKAS, ACC, Road Departure) features are in both. The areas I can;t be 100% sure on since the PDF and the website differ:

- rain sensing wipers
- Head up warning for CMBS
- vented front seats

Can anyone help clear this up.

Thanks!
Rain sensing wipers are part of the tech package. Both models have it. They also both have vented seats and the CMBS. The advance has a few more luxury items while the A-Spec has a sportier look and larger wheels/tires along with the blacked out trim and a few other things. Not sure if the larger sway bar in the ASpec Awd is also on the advance. My understanding is the A-Spec suspension its set up differently than the other models.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 AM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
For some really strange reason reason Acura also switched to the same low profile tires on the Advance and Tech trims for 2019 as the A Spec- big mistake in my mind. Not every driver wants these pothole magnets !!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

I am thinking about going with a TLX again against my better judgment. I was close to getting a RLX Hybrid or G80 Sport, but with a new TLX coming next year and the thought of a Type-S if I go with TLX I have a decent chance of getting out of the lease in 18 months without being too upside down, vs. the RLX which I will be stuck with during entire lease and the G80 would likely be the same, as they both depreciate too fast and I might even be able to private sell a TLX especially if I get an ASPEC.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I am thinking about going with a TLX again against my better judgment
I am having an hard time finding a car that I want more than my TLX (going in a few months) in the same price range. If I need to spend more, chances are that I will spend much more lol.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I am thinking about going with a TLX again against my better judgment. I was close to getting a RLX Hybrid or G80 Sport, but with a new TLX coming next year and the thought of a Type-S if I go with TLX I have a decent chance of getting out of the lease in 18 months without being too upside down, vs. the RLX which I will be stuck with during entire lease and the G80 would likely be the same, as they both depreciate too fast and I might even be able to private sell a TLX especially if I get an ASPEC.
Not sure why people are so certain the next gen is coming out next year. It's much more likely to be in mid 2020 as a 2021 model. That's what the Mgr at my Acura dealer told me recently and he goes to the regional meetings where these topics among others are discussed.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

They typically do MMC (2018) then release a new model 2 model years later. Now they might be taking their time to get this right, but then why release the 2019 TLX so early if it were not a short model year? Unless they are doing the Audi route of releasing models year 6+ months before the end of the year. Right now I am looking at a few cars, a Modern Steel with Ebony ASPEC V6 AWD and then a few 2018s in Red or Blue, a few with the red leather. It is so damn hard to find V6 and then AWD in Georgia. I hope at least when they release the Type-S that it only comes with AWD to make it easier to find here.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts
@KeithL Did you get a chance to test drive the Aspec yet? Night and day difference from the 2015 which I hated and couldn't wait to get rid off. I also had the 4G and my Aspec is still way better. Go for it and ride it out until Type S is ready.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:06 AM
Suzuka Master

I have not tried it yet. I can’t find any V6 AWD locally, there are 2 that look inbound and I have reached out to they dealer as well as going to ask them to research 5 others I found in neighboring states to see about a dealer swap. Right now I am leaning Modern Steel on Ebony, although if they could find Red leather I would do that. Back up would be San Marino Red then Steel Night Pearl.

i was ready to pull trigger in RLX Hybrid, but the dated head unit without the speed and Android Auto updates is really a turn off.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Canada the difference between Tech A-Spec and Elite A-Spec is:
-Cooled seats
-perforated Milano leather (although my a spec has the red leather so I don’t know what this refers to and I’ve only seen the black/Alcantara alternative
-wireless charging
-front and rear parking sensors
-perimeter approach puddle lights

The price premium was $4K for those options, the only one I’d really make use of is cooled seats but couldn’t stomach paying that much extra for it. Wireless charging makes little sense when CarPlay is dependent on a cord..
Old 06-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Not sure why people are so certain the next gen is coming out next year. It's much more likely to be in mid 2020 as a 2021 model. That's what the Mgr at my Acura dealer told me recently and he goes to the regional meetings where these topics among others are discussed.
Acura moved up the beak removal mid cycle change due to poor sales of the series. No reason they can't move up the next generation, if testing is done for the same reason.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Pro

Considering that 2019 is out already and the test mule has been spotted months ago I think next generation could be out late next year. I don't think they can stretch another 2 years with this model.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Racer

I have not tried it yet. I can’t find any V6 AWD locally, there are 2 that look inbound and I have reached out to they dealer as well as going to ask them to research 5 others I found in neighboring states to see about a dealer swap. Right now I am leaning Modern Steel on Ebony, although if they could find Red leather I would do that. Back up would be San Marino Red then Steel Night Pearl.

i was ready to pull trigger in RLX Hybrid, but the dated head unit without the speed and Android Auto updates is really a turn off.
Keith,

The 2018/2019 TLX as has been said above is a vastly improved version of the car. All of the gripes from 2015 have been addressed including the transmission. I opted for a 2018 Tech AWD in February (traded in 2012 TL AWD) and after 3,000 miles could not be happier. The A Spec is really cool looking and while it had lots of appeal to me-the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut roads I drive on are too risky for me to opt for 40 series tires. The roads in Georgia are I am sure fine for them !1 I was filling up yesterday at a Shell station and a brand new 2019 A Spec AWD rolled in and that owner and I talked for a few minutes about how much we are enjoyngi our respective cars. He had Black/Red and that interior was really nice !!

Good luck with your decision-but to me even if the redesigned model arrives earlier than expected-you would really enjoy driving this model until then.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Considering that 2019 is out already and the test mule has been spotted months ago I think next generation could be out late next year. I don't think they can stretch another 2 years with this model.
Agreed. Not to say that they wouldn’t but, it’s probably not prudent to push it with the current TLX. I also expect to see the 2G hit dealers come Fall of next year....maybe initially with a 2.0T/10AT.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Acura moved up the beak removal mid cycle change due to poor sales of the series. No reason they can't move up the next generation, if testing is done for the same reason.
It was not moved up by much, think the 2018 was released in June 2017 so about 3 months early.
Originally Posted by dmski
Is this the test mule from that video that went around. If so that was a 2018 or 19 TLX with some fender flares bolted on? I would be more confident of an earlier release if the test mule didn't just look like a modified current gen TLX. I would expect to see some "spy" photos of a new TLX body design in the next few months.

Originally Posted by F23A4

Agreed. Not to say that they wouldn’t but, it’s probably not prudent to push it with the current TLX. I also expect to see the 2G hit dealers come Fall of next year....maybe initially with a 2.0T/10AT.
Bringing out the A-spec in a 4 Cyl for a 1 year run doesn't seem likely and the 4Cyl is the bigger seller I believe. Either way when this Gen run ends those on a budget will have to make a decision to get a end of model run TLX A-Spec for probably near or close to the price of a 2nd Gen 4Cyl model. Knowing Acura the discounts will be few if any to start with. I hope they do it next year so by the time I am ready to get rid of mine the discounts will be decent, but from what the Acura GM told me and past model changes don't think they will.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
From what I can see, you cannot get a heated steering wheel in the A-Spec. Is that correct? New York winters, that comes in handy
Old 06-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

OK so I went and drove a 19 ASPEC Modern Steel on Red Leather AWD. First the car is gorgeous, but while the 9AT feels better it still shifts for crap. I am so tron as the car looks amazing, but if I get 6 months in and it feels like my 15 ZF I will burn the car ;-). I hate driving my 15 TLX every day as that ZF has laggy long inconsistent shifts. Anyone car to share how well their 18 9AT is doing after a bunch of miles?
Old 06-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I think you're hoping for a "hail Mary", but really, you know what to expect. It's the same car with the same transmission as your 2015. If updates can't fix your car, you will not be anymore pleased with a new one.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Pro

It's definitely improved over the 15 but it ain't great. However, the car overall is a massive improvement. Take it for an extended drive test at least one hour. Your dealer should be able to work a great deal for you. I did not take much hit on mine. If I was to jump ship to another brand it would've been a massive hit. Patiently waiting for Type S to drop.....
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 AM
Racer

OK so I went and drove a 19 ASPEC Modern Steel on Red Leather AWD. First the car is gorgeous, but while the 9AT feels better it still shifts for crap. I am so tron as the car looks amazing, but if I get 6 months in and it feels like my 15 ZF I will burn the car ;-). I hate driving my 15 TLX every day as that ZF has laggy long inconsistent shifts. Anyone car to share how well their 18 9AT is doing after a bunch of miles?
I have 3,000 miles on my 18 SH AWD Tech since February. I was hesitant to trade my 12 TL SH AWD because of the ZF transmission but I have had only one incident (strong downshift) and overall find it not an issue at all to me. The gas mileage is great too. I really think they have addressed 99% of the issues with it from 2015. I did take an extended (20 mile) test drive before pulling the trigger.

I love the A Spec look as you do but went with Tech (no Advances in color combo I wanted at end of February) since as I have stated a few times our lovely North East potholed roads are death to low profile 40 series tires so I decided reluctantly not take a chance on them. I have seen and talked with several A Spec owners in the past few months and all expressed positive statements of the car.