A-Spec Brakes :-/

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
How do the stock brake pads comapre to something like this? (Auto Parts store "premium" brake pads)
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...84h/10866502-P

edit: The on review of those pads on that site says: "These were a perfect replacement in terms of fit, and have quality shims which negate any brake noise- but they don't bite as much as OEM pads. Replaced front and back pads, and all new Wearever Rotors on 2015 Acura TLX. Smooth stopping but wish they had more friction."

I want to be able to stop hard and fast, I want my tires to be the limiting factor, not my brakes. But, wouldn't the stock brakes & pads be able to lock up the wheels just fine as is? So maybe it's not braking power so much as the feel? I mean, I'm used to old cars with old brakes being able to lock the tires and squeel, meaning that the power of brakes has typically been greater than the ability of tires to stick to the road. Is that not the case with our TLXs?

On a $40,000 "performance" automobile, they can't put good brakes?!?
This info is all you need.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
This info is all you need.
All the info I need, to decide not to buy those pads - but it doesn't tell me (for sure) that all the sub $100 pads at stores like Auto Zone/Advance Auto, etc. are all basically no better than, or worse than, the stock OEM pads?

Any opinions on Raybestos® - Element3™ "Enhanced Hybrid Technology" pads? They are rated "GG" - I guess I better go read up on what exactly those ratings mean - so far, I gather that decent pads are rated anywhere from FF to GG?

I've also learned that racing pad/rotor sets are not nesc. going to give you more "initial bite" than OEM 'family car" brakes, but rather, aside from being larger and thus able to withstand more force without failure, they are also designed to endure far more heavy use, for a logner period of time without fading/failing from over heating.

The consensus here seems to be to consider EBC brand either "Red Stuff" or "Yellow Stuff" pads would be the way to go for someone such as me who would like faster stopping, "better feel", more initial bite but is not going to be doing track days/racing, and not exceeding speeds of 120MPH on any sort of regular basis.

I somewhat resent the people who earlier berated me for "ignorantly" wanting Brembo brakes "because I had no idea was asking for, and they would actually be worse than stock OEM for street use" - yes I'm not an expert on various brake brands and pads, but, I know that larger rotors and calipers are generally desirable if you want more braking power, and want to brake harder from higher speeds than typical consumer day to day driving - the only reason I said "Brembo" in an earlier thread was it just seems to be the most well known/widely used example of "performance" brakes where stock cars are sold with higher performance brakes.

Perhaps this summer I'll consider getting some Michelin Pilot Super Sports - the size my car takes: 225/50ZR18, looks to be priced at about $190 per tire without any special discounts. But, until then, I'm riding on my stock Bridgestone Potenzas - which, even though they're just "all season" tires, should still allow for at least some benefit from superior brake pads? No?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Pro

Apparently, EBC doesn't make brake pads for TLX yet?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Going to get into real trouble with this one. Most NOT ALL auto store pads are geared toward daily drivers. Quite, long lasting & no dust. Same with rotor material long lasting.

Performance brakes yellows, red, HP, HP+, etc are geared for stopping power, fade resistance with less concern about dust & noise. Then they are subdivided street, street-strip, Auto-X, road course etc in the type of use they will get which will govern their effective operating temperatures. Rotors will also tend to wear faster

A typical first level pad will over lap a high end auto store pad with more stopping power & fade resistance. Its a compromise pad the will stop well, last pretty well is low dust & may or may not squeak depending on how good the install & bedding in process. Then as you move up the line pads wear faster, are more dusty & again might be prone to squeaking.

From that they go up the ladder & their operating temperatures will shift more & more away from street pads. That means on a cold morning with race pads it might prove to be an adventure pulling out of your garage. Good track pads can be as high as 400/1600 degrees max, optimal effective 800/1200 Street performance 100/700 degrees max 100/500 optimal effective.

On Brembo's news flash. Most NOT ALL OEM high performance brakes are Brembo. You have a caliper & a pad. The caliper just squeezes the pads against the rotor & does not give a rats ass what the pad composition is. There are all levels of Brembo pads. My BMW's run Brembo's from the factory as did my TL. In both cases I use the OEM pads.

Note: I do not know what brakes are on the standard cars with out the performance brake options.

Same deal with tires. My COBRA runs 100 treadware gun Balls. The grip like crazy but will wear out fast. I get more mileage out of them because the car is so light. Street performance tires ab run 200 to maybe 300+ Good traction longer lasting. High mileage tires 500+ long wearing sucky traction.

Don't quote me on the exact tread ware number, except for my car, as I did not look them up.....just a ball park estimate. Point is you want traction expect wear.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-11-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Pro

I'd kind of like to push my car hard enough to lose traction at least a few times before I decide that I'm dissatisfied with my Bridgestone Potenzas - I'll have to think about exactly how I want to do that, without risking my car getting smashed...

I have said I'd like my brakes to feel better/faster/grippier - but, I haven't had that moment where I say to myself: fuck, these brakes aren't good enough... Summer will be here soon

After looking briefly, it seems that the 2014 Honda Ridgeline at least uses the same OEM brake pads as the TLX, and I saw EBC Red/Yellow Stuff brake pads sold for that model, so, I gather they'll work in my TLX?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

I'd kind of like to push my car hard enough to lose traction at least a few times before I decide that I'm dissatisfied with my Bridgestone Potenzas - I'll have to think about exactly how I want to do that, without risking my car getting smashed...

I have said I'd like my brakes to feel better/faster/grippier - but, I haven't had that moment where I say to myself: fuck, these brakes aren't good enough... Summer will be here soon

After looking briefly, it seems that the 2014 Honda Ridgeline at least uses the same OEM brake pads as the TLX, and I saw EBC Red/Yellow Stuff brake pads sold for that model, so, I gather they'll work in my TLX?
Big Box parking lot early Sunday morning.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

Not even sure why this thread still has life. The stock brakes are fine for 99% of people. I had the type S with brembo brakes and the TLX A-Spec is a slower car and no difference in performance acceleration wise than a non-Aspec model so way fewer situations where you need to bring the speed down fast. When I first got mine I looked for an aftermarket big brake package (as I thought a big brake package would be nice) but there is no bolt on package either by Brembo or Willwood. No demand or near zero. Six months in and I can say after a few deer hop outs and other incidents the brakes as stock are fine and are probably better on the A-spec just due to the wider tires. I waste money all the time and after having the car for a while there really is not much if anything to be gained by replacing brake components. Braking on the A-spec is not the problem, its acceleration that needs work. If anything that's where to put your money or on performance tires. At least then you will see a difference. The car under is unpowered either due to weight or the trans. Brakes are not a problem. Save your money.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Not even sure why this thread still has life. The stock brakes are fine for 99% of people. I had the type S with brembo brakes and the TLX A-Spec is a slower car and no difference in performance acceleration wise than a non-Aspec model so way fewer situations where you need to bring the speed down fast. When I first got mine I looked for an aftermarket big brake package (as I thought a big brake package would be nice) but there is no bolt on package either by Brembo or Willwood. No demand or near zero. Six months in and I can say after a few deer hop outs and other incidents the brakes as stock are fine and are probably better on the A-spec just due to the wider tires. I waste money all the time and after having the car for a while there really is not much if anything to be gained by replacing brake components. Braking on the A-spec is not the problem, its acceleration that needs work. If anything that's where to put your money or on performance tires. At least then you will see a difference. The car under is unpowered either due to weight or the trans. Brakes are not a problem. Save your money.
You might be right, so far who I've seen driving this car have been mommy's, mums, laydeez, Caitlyn.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Everyone preference is different as for me i like a more solid brake feel and bite. I have the 4 cyl TLX as well and the brakes are great solid feel and stop better because it’s lighter. The Aspec is a heavier car and has bigger wheels, and i do agree that it is slow when stock but it’s smooth and solid on the road. The reason i want better feeling brakes and better stopping power is i added my mods to this car i put my intake, vmcuzzler, sprint booster and my light weight crank pulley and honestly it transformed this car better than my 15. The car movesssssss now it feels light and just gets going. Everyone preference is differnt some may like stock brakes and some may like a 4 pot bbk like i had on my TL. Once i upgrade the pads it should give me a better bite and pedal feel which I’m personally looking for.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (05-15-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I didn’t want to start a new thread for just this one question. I have tried google and can’t find an answer. Does anyone know if the TLX brake lines are just rubber not stainless steel braided? (ASPEC included) the replacement lines are cheap so I am assuming not.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
the issue here is; you're asking a bunch of people that solely use the car as an appliance to help you dictate your pad choice....when you have the experience to pick pads without any help.
Hey, I resent being called an "applaince driver"

For example: I hate what "Traction Control" does to my TLX, it makes it a lot less fun to drive. With TC on, it feels like instead of actually controlling the throttle, when you press the gas pedal it's taken as more of a suggestion and the car behaves like: "Oh, you want to go faster, well let me ease into that slow and smooth like" instead of what I want is: when I tap the gas, I wanna FEEL the car move, immediately if possible. I also really miss the fast/powerful feeling brakes that I had on my VW GTi.

I didn't buy a "Precision Performance" sports sedan because I wanted an "appliance car", I got it because I wanted something that was, yes, comfortable and quiet for family road trips, but, also thrilling.

So, I'm more than happy to see threads where another member is contemplating something such as a brake upgrade and I appreciate as much input from other members as possible - I do not appreciate comments such as "just go google it, don't as here"...

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Everyone preference is different as for me i like a more solid brake feel and bite. I have the 4 cyl TLX as well and the brakes are great solid feel and stop better because it’s lighter. The Aspec is a heavier car and has bigger wheels, and i do agree that it is slow when stock but it’s smooth and solid on the road. The reason i want better feeling brakes and better stopping power is i added my mods to this car i put my intake, vmcuzzler, sprint booster and my light weight crank pulley and honestly it transformed this car better than my 15. The car movesssssss now it feels light and just gets going. Everyone preference is differnt some may like stock brakes and some may like a 4 pot bbk like i had on my TL. Once i upgrade the pads it should give me a better bite and pedal feel which I’m personally looking for.

Out of curioity: do you drive with Traction Control off usually? I find the car to be a lot more responsive to my input with TC off and it (turning TC off) fixes complaints I had with the V6 TLX initially (feeling that it didn't have enough "pep").

Also, I appreciate your thread here, I look forward to reading your opinion after you install your new brake pads - I would definitely do the same (and other upgrades) myself except I recently found out that we're paying for the car entirely out of pocket and not getting $500/month from our company car plan as we had initially anticipated (this is what promted me to buy the TLX in the first place instead of a more "pedestrian" car). I'm not meaning to complain about the lack of car plan, just an explanation as to why I'm not doing upgrades currently even though I frequently say that I want to...

Originally Posted by nothome17
You might be right, so far who I've seen driving this car have been mommy's, mums, laydeez, Caitlyn.
Was next to another TLX today and looked at the driver - sadly, I saw a middle aged lady that didn't seem to be in any kind of a hurry to get anywhere... But, the other day earlier I found myself in a line of 3 TLXes in a row! That was cool. I'm sure they weren't all old ladies and soccer moms I can tell you one thing - my buddy from work f_cking LOVES my TLX and gets the biggest grin on his face if I punch the gas and pass some other guys - he makes comments while I drive making fun of whoever we passed - it's a hoot. Of course, I know my car is no Porsche 911 or Dodge Hellcat, but, it's still a nice fun car when you want it to be (and you put it in Sport/Sport+ mode with Traction Control OFF).

Last edited by Christopher.; 05-15-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Hang in there Chris, your car is whatever you want it to be.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Racer

Out of curioity: do you drive with Traction Control off usually? I find the car to be a lot more responsive to my input with TC off and it (turning TC off) fixes complaints I had with the V6 TLX initially (feeling that it didn't have enough "pep"
I started to drive with the traction control off unless it is rainy or snowed outside because I noticed after I put on a bored out throttle body the throttle would cut out in sport+ mode which I thought was odd. After I turned off the traction control that didn’t happen anymore.

I bought some ebc yellow stuff pads. I found that they have the best of what I want cold to hot bite for fast street to light track use(might canyon carve from time to time). I am waiting on some stainless steel braided brake lines then I will have them all installed at once. You don’t need a super fast car to have excellent brakes. Stopping a 2 ton car from any speed might be more confidence building with a better set.
Christopher. (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Pro

ultrapogi: have you been using the EBC pads for a few days yet? Any opinions? Which model # fits our TLXs?

EDIT: sorry, I just realized that you meant you aren't installing the new brake pads until after you get the new brake lines - looking forward to your review.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Racer

ultrapogi: have you been using the EBC pads for a few days yet? Any opinions? Which model # fits our TLXs?

EDIT: sorry, I just realized that you meant you aren't installing the new brake pads until after you get the new brake lines - looking forward to your review.
So I back tracked a little. I originally bought them yellows because of this picture

So I thought wow yes great from cold to hot. And “excellent” lifetime use wow why would anybody buy the green or the red. Then i did more research I think they meant excellent from a certain point of view as in “wow look at how long race pads work compared to normal race pads” I read some people lasted 6-7K miles then some people complained about the squealing and noise. Other complained about all the dust so that scared me away from those pads. I think the reds will probably last longer on the street but I guess we will have to see how kudzu likes them. I also got shy from the stainless brake lines because of potential binding and premature failure yada yada yada. Sooo long story short I am sticking with stock for right now and might update depending how well the red pads do.

sorry for being lame. I guess I made purchases before doing all my research.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 05-21-2018 at 09:39 PM.
01LSi (05-29-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Pro

No worries man - so far my biggest "upgrade" is turning off Traction Control :P
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but you put a "VCM muzzler" on a 4 cylinder Acura?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by hondu
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but you put a "VCM muzzler" on a 4 cylinder Acura?
nope VCM is only in the 6 cyl
Old 05-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Styl1n

so i have the red pads and I'm just waiting for my first oil change to do everything in one shot. should be in the next coming weeks
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Pro

nope VCM is only in the 6 cyl
I know that, that is why I asked. So what is this vmcuzzler you talk about installing?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Styl1n

Hey Guys, I'm putting on the Reds Saturday i will have some feedback by Monday on this
Old 06-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So I a, curious about pad upgrades because to me the calipers in the TLX are crap. With stock brakes my rotors are warped to hell. I would think with grippier pads that will put more abuse on the calipers and cause them to warp.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
So I a, curious about pad upgrades because to me the calipers in the TLX are crap. With stock brakes my rotors are warped to hell. I would think with grippier pads that will put more abuse on the calipers and cause them to warp.
Sorry I meant they put more abuse on the rotors.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Styl1n

I know that, that is why I asked. So what is this vmcuzzler you talk about installing?
it disables the VCM it goes on the IAT sensor and tricks it to think your not at operating temps so the VCM does not kick in.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Styl1n

Sorry I meant they put more abuse on the rotors.
my rotors were warped twice with the stock brakes as well. hopefully these last longer and bite better
Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Check the torque in your wheel lug nuts. Too tight will warp rotors.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Check the torque in your wheel lug nuts. Too tight will warp rotors.
Thanks, but only Discount Tires rotates my wheels and they torque the lugs every time. Although I bet they use a generic spec for all cars.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Styl1n

Hey everyone the reds are finalllllly on, didn’t drive much but what a huge damn difference shorter stopping and a nice firm confident pedal feel. By the end of the week i will have a better review on it.

Christopher. (06-25-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, but only Discount Tires rotates my wheels and they torque the lugs every time. Although I bet they use a generic spec for all cars.
Are they using a torque wrench or an pneumatic impact wrench? I use a impact wrench set under the torque spec & finish up with a standard torque wrench. FWIW or not I notice uneven bolt torque from the impact wrench.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

They use pneumatic to start them, then hand torque them to finish.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Pro

Hey everyone the reds are finalllllly on, didn’t drive much but what a huge damn difference shorter stopping and a nice firm confident pedal feel. By the end of the week i will have a better review on it.
Cool, could you post a link to the ones you got?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Pro

it disables the VCM it goes on the IAT sensor and tricks it to think your not at operating temps so the VCM does not kick in.
I know what the VCMuzzler is, so you could not have installed it on your car, since you have a 4 cylinder vehicle. Also, there is no such thing as a vmcuzzler, you are talking about the VCMuzzler.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Styl1n

I know what the VCMuzzler is, so you could not have installed it on your car, since you have a 4 cylinder vehicle. Also, there is no such thing as a vmcuzzler, you are talking about the VCMuzzler.
typo on my end and I have the 4 and 6 cyl. This thread is for the EBC red brakes so please post in the VCMuzzler thread.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Styl1n

Cool, could you post a link to the ones you got?
https://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/

i actually ordered them from pepboys, pretty cheap with free shipping
Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

I'm curious- @horseshoez, you around?

I've always wondered about "pedal feel"... to me, it's not something that really ever changes. I attribute pedal feel to the entire hydraulic system- the brake cylinder, hydraulic lines, number of pistons in the calipers, age of fluid, temps, etc. The brake feel is determined by the hydraulic system itself... so by that thought, changing a brake pad should not really change the pedal feel at all... the brake feel, by installing a sharper grabbing pad, sure. Am I crazy?

The only down side going to a more aggressive brake pad is likely increased brake dust and potential for squeaks when braking (doesn't always happen though)
Old 06-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/

i actually ordered them from pepboys, pretty cheap with free shipping
Did you do all four or just the fronts?

Keep us posted. I really hate these damn brakes. I know they are still setting / breaking in, but really how hard to give us a confident brake. The reds should create a ton of dust I would expect, but the ASPEC wheels should hide much of that. Too bad they don;t have yellow pads for this car, probably a decent combo.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:55 AM
Styl1n

Keep us posted. I really hate these damn brakes. I know they are still setting / breaking in, but really how hard to give us a confident brake. The reds should create a ton of dust I would expect, but the ASPEC wheels should hide much of that. Too bad they don;t have yellow pads for this car, probably a decent combo.
so far so good i love them. I will probably take the car out this weekend for a 200 mile drive and let them settle in. I only did the fronts and so far they stop amazing compared to the stock brakes. They should have including brakes like this with this car, shorter and stronger stopping distance. As for the dust i don’t mind like you said the aspec wheel will hide a lot of it but dust doesn’t bother me.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Thanks for the info OP - I too feel the a-spec brakes are weak. The brakes in the RDX and MDX feel great, not sure why they screwed up the TLX. I feel like I stop faster in my 06 Silverado!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Brakes on my COBRA are HAWK HP+ which are high grip, high dust that work well on the street, track days & AutoX. Found spraying clean wheels with Armor All Brake Dust Repelent works great. Just takes a dry paper shop towel once around to wipe them clean.

I wipe them down about once a week.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

so far so good i love them. I will probably take the car out this weekend for a 200 mile drive and let them settle in. I only did the fronts and so far they stop amazing compared to the stock brakes. They should have including brakes like this with this car, shorter and stronger stopping distance. As for the dust i don’t mind like you said the aspec wheel will hide a lot of it but dust doesn’t bother me.
Keep us posted on much they dust too. I know the SPACE wheels will hide some of it, but I would hate to get as much dusting as my Audi did until I swapped the stock brakes out.

Quick Reply: A-Spec Brakes :-/