Anyone waiting for the 2016 Acura TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone waiting for the 2016 Acura TLX?

I'm going to wait a whole year for a 2016 Acura TLX. I would like to see Acura work out any problems the TLX might have as a first year model. When Acura documents everything people are mentioning on these forums, reviews, real-world experiences from owners, etc, then 2016 Acura TLX may see improvements over the 2015 model.

Specifically, I would like Acura to update the transmission logic to correct any delayed acceleration. I do think current TLX owners might get an ECU software update of some kind with an oil change which will improve the transmission logic. When people complained about the new Nissan Altima's CVT transmission lugging and other issues, Nissan issued a new transmission software update which improved the transmission (which shows you how computerized cars are these days). Although software updates won't correct physical gear problems (hardware).

Some people are also mentioning that you can see the reflection of an HVAC vent in the left mirror. I think it might be possible for Acura to reduce the reflection.

I also refuse to pay MSRP on what should be an affordable luxury sports car. Everyone should be paying below invoice on the TLX! Waiting to buy this car will save money..

Anyone else going to wait?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
So much dumb logic in this post... no offense.

Work out what issues exactly? The last MAJOR issue honda/acura have had are the 3rd gear issues which were resolved years ago.

The hesitation doesn't exist on the i4 models from what I've seen and driven.

And below invoice..? Acura has never had any issues getting rid of cars that they need to sell below dealer invoice pricing to get rid of the cars. Most Acuras can't even keep TLX in stock right now. You'll be waiting more than a year for below invoice pricing.

Also.. affordable luxury is not MSRP? the i4 tech package is one of the best bang for the bucks on the market right now.

You really won't see a point to wait until they come out with a mid cycle refresh and blow out the previous ones.
The following 6 users liked this post by insanik:
DLCU2 (08-18-2014), enchantedsky (08-18-2014), Gen4MDX (08-18-2014), jshaw (08-22-2014), MardiGras (08-23-2014), Stew4HD (08-18-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm not sure just what issues there are yet or if there will necessarily be any major ones. The acceleration lag so far seems to be either a programmed function that is only as significant as the drive mode that is selected or a transmission break in function, or both.

There have been reports that it was not apparent on every TLX and the ones that didn't have it had more mileage. In many cases, smaller issues do get rectified even during the same model year run. For the most part, I don't see any difference between getting a late year build vs a new one unless they will add something, make a mid or full change, or improve crash scores or for lease/finance/resale purposes, etc.

I typically buy mid year or later. Not a bad idea to wait, whether it needs to be a 2016 model or if it's necessary to wait long enough for them to come out is questionable but that will become clearer with time. Waiting does give a chance for issues to become documented and fixed and as a customer you gain the knowledge as to what the extent of all of it is plus you can almost always negotiate a better deal. Then at that point you typically know whether or not you need to wait for the 2016 based on all of the findings for the 2015.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-18-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by insanik

Work out what issues exactly? The last MAJOR issue honda/acura have had are the 3rd gear issues which were resolved years ago.

And below invoice..? Acura has never had any issues getting rid of cars that they need to sell below dealer invoice pricing to get rid of the cars. Most Acuras can't even keep TLX in stock right now. You'll be waiting more than a year for below invoice pricing.

Also.. affordable luxury is not MSRP? the i4 tech package is one of the best bang for the bucks on the market right now.

You really won't see a point to wait until they come out with a mid cycle refresh and blow out the previous ones.
I think the OP has a point. There will be issues of any 1st year model from any manufacturer. Acura is one of the better ones but still there are issues, currently with the 2014 MDX, small but still issues.

Acura was selling the 4G TLs below invoices for a long time before the TLX came.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
What I would do is wait until the end of this year (like 12/30 or 12/31) and the first model year will be somewhat discounted (likely selling for invoice). By then, most of the major bugs might become apparent after the cars have mileage on them. $31K for a new lux car isn't actually a bad price at all- to me, they priced it aggressively/ correctly. Anything less is a bonus.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Acura documenting what we say on these forums? Haha!
The following 3 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
AcuraHonda415 (08-19-2014), Acura_Dude (08-19-2014), rockyfeller (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I think the OP has a point. There will be issues of any 1st year model from any manufacturer. Acura is one of the better ones but still there are issues, currently with the 2014 MDX, small but still issues.
Yep. For example, the 2009 TSX had engine pinging problems and the steering had poor path control on the highway. I don't know if those were fixed during the 2009 model production run, but they were by the 2010 models. (The steering was revised yet again by 2012 to reduce effort at parking lot speeds.)

I would wait a year, almost entirely because of the brand new transmissions. I believe much of the other technology (or close relatives, like the Accord's DI four) has been on the road for awhile in other models, so it should be solid.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for calling my logic dumb. Your message was reported to moderators for deletion.

All cars have first model year issues, there is nothing illogical about that.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by enchantedsky
Specifically, I would like Acura to update the transmission logic to correct any delayed acceleration.....All cars have first model year issues, there is nothing illogical about that.
I asked this in another thread but I think it got buried and you didn't see it. Did you notice the delay under full throttle from a stop? Was it the same for all modes? Did you (or anyone else) try a 'less' than full throttle start from a stop? I'm asking because I'm wondering if the car normally wants to start in 2nd and certain throttle positions 'force' a downshift causing a delay?

BTW, IMO, all cars have issues of one kind or another. It's the severity and the owners' tolerance for them that is the difference. Waiting a year can't hurt, but its no guarantee of a better experience. In fact, it could negatively affect your expectations by raising them ("I waited a year and they still have this...")
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
I asked this in another thread but I think it got buried and you didn't see it. Did you notice the delay under full throttle from a stop? Was it the same for all modes? Did you (or anyone else) try a 'less' than full throttle start from a stop? I'm asking because I'm wondering if the car normally wants to start in 2nd and certain throttle positions 'force' a downshift causing a delay?

BTW, IMO, all cars have issues of one kind or another. It's the severity and the owners' tolerance for them that is the difference. Waiting a year can't hurt, but its no guarantee of a better experience. In fact, it could negatively affect your expectations by raising them ("I waited a year and they still have this...")
The delay that people are talking about is not from take off.. it's when cruising and you want to punch it to pass.. in eco mode, there is a delay... easily overcome by tapping the downshift paddle.. FWIW
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (04-22-2015)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Instructor

HAHAHA

"I don't appreciate you putting me down in this Acura forum.

I'm from Toronto originally and I work for the police as well (here in New York City). I have citizenship for both Canada and USA. But if you want to push my limits, I'll come back to Toronto to deal with you. Thanks."

Dude seriously seek anger help. And stop trying to impersonate police officers. It's pathetic and you're scaring no one. And no one thinks your big and bad by claiming you're going to deal with it. Such a loser hahaha. Fly to Canada to deal with your "internet beef" lol. What a pathetic waste of life people like you are.

Tissue?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-18-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Cleaned.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by enchantedsky
Thanks for calling my logic dumb. Your message was reported to moderators for deletion.
IMO, it's not a personal attack on you per se, it's a comment on your words. ie: "you're stupid" is different than "that was a stupid thing to say"
Stew4HD (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Instructor

IMO, it's not a personal attack on you per se, it's a comment on your words. ie: "you're stupid" is different than "that was a stupid thing to say"

Careful dude, the big bad wolf OP might send you "threatening" PMs how he's a cop and is going to come deal with you. HAH
Old 08-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

HAHAHA

PM From the OP because I called his logic dumb... what a fucking loser. HAHA. You mad?

I'm from Toronto originally and I work for the police as well (here in New York City). I have citizenship for both Canada and USA. But if you want to push my limits, I'll come back to Toronto to deal with you. Thanks."

Dude seriously seek anger help. And stop trying to impersonate police officers. It's pathetic and you're scaring no one. And no one thinks your big and bad by claiming you're going to deal with it. Such a loser hahaha. Fly to Canada to deal with your "internet beef" lol. What a pathetic waste of life people like you are.

Tissue?
You even added the "no offense" your post he was offended by.. *shrug*

Maybe he's having a bad day/week/month/year?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Getting back on topic, I would wait till the 2016 model mainly because it suits me and I want to drive the TLX a few times, check reviews, compare with other vehicles. My 2004 TSX was fairly early production and has been trouble free for 250,000kms (155,000 miles) with only normal consummables replaced, although the basic car had already been in Europe as an Accord for a few years. There could be the odd glich but I have every confidence in Acura to quickly address anything significant.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
HAHAHA

PM From the OP because I called his logic dumb... what a fucking loser. HAHA. You mad?

Tissue?
With all due respect -- you're out of line when you post a PM to a public forum. The OP brought up valid points and did not deserve to be attacked. No offense but people who act like you did with the OP are a dime a dozen -- powerless and ineffectual people (again -- no offense) who act all macho when they can do so safely. According to Stews logic you can't get upset because I included "With all due respect" and "No offense".

Last edited by Glashub; 08-18-2014 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glashub:
bagwell (08-18-2014), hadokenuh (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
OP is a cop sending threatening PM's? Please explain why you are using your "authority" to threaten AcuraZine members.

I might banish this thread to Ramblings....
The following 4 users liked this post by ggesq:
DeathMetal (05-02-2015), rockyfeller (08-19-2014), Steven Bell (08-18-2014), Stew4HD (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Granted OP was over the top and wrong but man I've gotten threatening messages -- nothing ever happened and I resolved them with the sender -- or reported them to mods -- 2 wrongs do not make a right.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glashub
Granted OP was over the top and wrong but man I've gotten threatening messages -- nothing ever happened and I resolved them with the sender -- or reported them to mods -- 2 wrongs do not make a right.

lol no one "attacked" the OP. And if youre going to send threatening PMs because someone said the logic was dumb, you seriously should seek help and everyone in the thread should know about it so they dont get threatening PMs as well. And i reported his threat already.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I want some better wheel options. Im hoping they come to their senses and provide them for 2016.
AFatherofTwo (10-10-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by El Bro
I want some better wheel options. Im hoping they come to their senses and provide them for 2016.

No reason for it. So over priced anyways. Nicer rims for cheaper aftermarket 100% of the time.
Stew4HD (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Can I offer you some warm melted butter for your popcorn? (LMAO)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Much obliged! Haha
weather (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
No reason for it. So over priced anyways. Nicer rims for cheaper aftermarket 100% of the time.

For people like me there's a reason. I wont consider buying the car until they offer a wheel I like, especially if it is similar to the prototype wheel. I don't know why, but I want my wheels straight from the factory now. Just a preference I guess I developed as I get older. I don't want to deal with aftermarket wheels anymore.
The following 4 users liked this post by El Bro:
dom (08-24-2014), Gen4MDX (08-18-2014), mr2core (08-18-2014), types1fan (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by El Bro
Wheels are easily fixable. What is of real importance is why Acura discontinued their relationship with Brembo. The black Brembos on my type-s still looks very good 7 years later
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Ditto. I like the elegance of an OEM wheel compared to the bling bling. Then again, I am pushing 44 years old (trapped in a 22 year old body) - LMAO
El Bro (10-05-2022)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So to me the 4G was one of the most solid cars I ever owned, virtually flawless in 19K miles. Every car can have issues and I believe Acura has really worked their process to make sure year 1 is a solid year. Sure the occasional issues arise (RDX shocks) and such, but to me the only variable in the new TLX is the transmissions. I think going to ZF for the 9!T shows they had their hands full and would trust it in the hands of a company that does this full time. As for the 8DCT, I think they learned their lesson on tranny issues years ago and the 8DCT will be fine.
The following 4 users liked this post by KeithL:
Acura_Dude (08-19-2014), Gen4MDX (08-18-2014), JackCarver (08-19-2014), kurtatx (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
I agree with waiting a year or more and not buying a first year model. Better yet, waiting until the mid cycle refresh is even better. I purchased a 4G TL Sh-AWD in its first year and it started to rattle, not to mention the torque converter issue. Also purchased an 09 Accord Coupe (second year of the 8th generation Accord), and the rear brake pads wore out at less than 20k miles (a known problem with the 08', '09, and some 2010 Accords). Also anyone doubting that the Acura brand is immune to first year bugs, please visit the RLX forum. It happens. Glad my ZDX is the last year. It has been solid so far. Not even a rattle.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 08-18-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2007TL-TypeS
Wheels are easily fixable. What is of real importance is why Acura discontinued their relationship with Brembo. The black Brembos on my type-s still looks very good 7 years later
Interesting question, someone with the user name of cfox posted this on TOV:

I was actually on the team put in charge of the upgraded brakes on the Type S model (Brembos) They were in fact a complete disaster for Honda engineers. We could not get the correct amount of brake fluid into the calipers, ABS unit, and Master cylinder with that upgrade without modifying more then just the simple bolt-on kit Honda wanted us to put on the cars. So we tried re-engineering the brake lines to a smaller dia. to allow greater pressure... this allow premature master cylinder failure and ABS failure on the TYPE S... or Brake fluid leakage on seal points. The whole idea was to finish up production of that Gen vehicle with parts we already had. We were in the work already of next Gen and the RDX Acura... that TL was costing us Hundreds of thousands.

Honda will not deviate there brake on the new model, I highly doubt it. Unless they have already been spec'd. Because the previous Type S was more or less an after thought.

My suggestion would be if you plan to autocross the 2.4L a nice set of Slotted brake discs or Cross Drilled Discs. My experience is slots work better for everyday short stopping and do not require the heating as drilled do. So if you are doing time trials they are excellent Rotors.

However for long term driving and Tudor/Lemans series/Endurance drive I would serious recommend cross-drilled rotors, due to the different solid/hollow ratio of the surface and the possibility for water and gases to flow through the ventilation holes.

Floating Discs are not compatible with this vehicle unless modified.

The SH-AWD model is simply a luxury vehicle....lol Honda tried it with different Pads and rotors actually... there was a compromise and who want to clean wheels all the time...

You basically always have the opportunity to upgrade... I would suggest you go to an authorized installer :-) Have fun in your new Acura!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
So to me the 4G was one of the most solid cars I ever owned, virtually flawless in 19K miles. Every car can have issues and I believe Acura has really worked their process to make sure year 1 is a solid year. Sure the occasional issues arise (RDX shocks) and such, but to me the only variable in the new TLX is the transmissions. I think going to ZF for the 9!T shows they had their hands full and would trust it in the hands of a company that does this full time. As for the 8DCT, I think they learned their lesson on tranny issues years ago and the 8DCT will be fine.
Like you said, Acura did all they could to make this car a success. They were going to release the car in April but decided that so much was riding on this car that they pulled it back and tested the hell out of it to make damn sure it is ready for primetime! I respect that, so much so that I am buying as soon as they car comes in. I trust that if anything goes wrong, they will cover me.

Everyone can do as they wish with their $$ but to hold off just because they think the car is going to have issues... *shrug*
Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I bought a 9th gen Accord the day before they went on sale and plenty of people were going on about being afraid of the new tech in the car and the new DI engine and the new CVT and etc. It's a valid concern but thus far my 2 year old Accord has been rock solid with the exception of a software update for the audio unit. In fact it's been a great car - I'm not sure the TLX is the smartest move for me but I'm very tempted...
Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I bought a 9th gen Accord the day before they went on sale and plenty of people were going on about being afraid of the new tech in the car and the new DI engine and the new CVT and etc.
I bought a first year '87 Celica GT-S, first year '88 MR-2 Supercharged, first year 3G Integra GS-R, first year S2000 and first year ILX 6MT. I can't recall any significant issues with any.
justnspace (08-24-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
No but going to wait for a used V-6 tech fully loaded.

Good thing I purchased the 2G the first year it was released in 99 as the 00-03 had transmission problems. The logic you are using doesn't always play out..

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-18-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I am thinking of waiting. My 04 TSX, which I bought the week it initially went on sale, had many problems that folks with an 05 or later did not report having. Acura fixed most of the problems even after the car was out of warranty, so that really was not a major issue. I also would prefer better looking wheels and better tires, but I doubt those will be changed for 2016.

I went in and signed up for the discount certificate, so I am keeping my options open.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I'll probably end up buying it before December. I bought my current '04 TL the month after it was released, I believe. I went through a couple of recalls, but the car's been rock-solid for the most part.

If you wait for a year or two, you may be asking "should I wait for the MMC?" And if you wait for the MMC, you may be asking yourself "should I wait for the next TLX?" It never ends.

I do understand the waiting though. The 9-speed and its programming is what worries me the most about the car. Jeep has already recalled the thing a few times, I believe, but that could be just due to their implementation/programming - I have no idea.

Beyond that, there is the "winter thunk" in the suspension that RDX owners have been complaining about since it was released that I don't believe has been fixed yet.

The only reason I'm still going to buy by December is because I need a new car. Either that or spring for new tires, new struts, possibly new brakes and rotors by then, etc. at which point, I just don't think it's worth it to put that much money into a car with around 250,000 miles because you're just waiting for the next thing that hasn't blown up to blow up. I know I just jinxed myself. lol.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcocoon
No but going to wait for a used V-6 tech fully loaded.
smart move
Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, look....there is a lot of bickering and personal attacks here. It's ridiculous.....

Quit the personal attacks and GET BACK ON TOPIC. Stop the cussing too. It's been a while since ggesq and I have had a chance to pull out the ban hammer........
MisterZDX (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Interesting question, someone with the user name of cfox posted this on TOV:

I was actually on the team put in charge of the upgraded brakes on the Type S model (Brembos) They were in fact a complete disaster for Honda engineers. We could not get the correct amount of brake fluid into the calipers, ABS unit, and Master cylinder with that upgrade without modifying more then just the simple bolt-on kit Honda wanted us to put on the cars. So we tried re-engineering the brake lines to a smaller dia. to allow greater pressure... this allow premature master cylinder failure and ABS failure on the TYPE S... or Brake fluid leakage on seal points. The whole idea was to finish up production of that Gen vehicle with parts we already had. We were in the work already of next Gen and the RDX Acura... that TL was costing us Hundreds of thousands.

Honda will not deviate there brake on the new model, I highly doubt it. Unless they have already been spec'd. Because the previous Type S was more or less an after thought.

My suggestion would be if you plan to autocross the 2.4L a nice set of Slotted brake discs or Cross Drilled Discs. My experience is slots work better for everyday short stopping and do not require the heating as drilled do. So if you are doing time trials they are excellent Rotors.

However for long term driving and Tudor/Lemans series/Endurance drive I would serious recommend cross-drilled rotors, due to the different solid/hollow ratio of the surface and the possibility for water and gases to flow through the ventilation holes.

Floating Discs are not compatible with this vehicle unless modified.

The SH-AWD model is simply a luxury vehicle....lol Honda tried it with different Pads and rotors actually... there was a compromise and who want to clean wheels all the time...

You basically always have the opportunity to upgrade... I would suggest you go to an authorized installer :-) Have fun in your new Acura!
Sounds like being really cheap to me.
silverTL6 (08-20-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys, look....there is a lot of bickering and personal attacks here. It's ridiculous.....

Quit the personal attacks and GET BACK ON TOPIC. Stop the cussing too. It's been a while since ggesq and I have had a chance to pull out the ban hammer........
Agree, i havent in a long time either..... My finger is itching.

Quick Reply: Anyone waiting for the 2016 Acura TLX?