Anyone been able to turn off ANC ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Anyone been able to turn off ANC ?

Curious if anyone has been able to turn off Active Noise Cancelling to see how quiet the car really is without that feature on.
Is the quietness of the car due to sound dampening or noise cancellation? It's probably both, but it would be interesting to hear the difference with ANC off.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
I read somewhere that sport mode and sport plus turn it off. Not sure, but sport plus might also mic in engine sounds too.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmark
Curious if anyone has been able to turn off Active Noise Cancelling to see how quiet the car really is without that feature on.
Is the quietness of the car due to sound dampening or noise cancellation? It's probably both, but it would be interesting to hear the difference with ANC off.

To my knowledge ANC can't be turned off, but I could be wrong. Well, I guess you could disconnect the speakers, but that's too much effort for me to make ... lol.

Originally Posted by joeddmd\
I read somewhere that sport mode and sport plus turn it off. Not sure, but sport plus might also mic in engine sounds too.
All the IDS settings mic in engine sounds. From what I recall reading, most of where it makes a difference is in the lower-RPM range on both the I4 and V6 (something below 2400 RPM from what I recall)
Nice car in your avatar, btw...
Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
FWWI - On the 2010 TSB V6, ANC is turned off as soon as one of the doors is opened...
Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to turn off ANC on base units (w/o nav):
Hold back+menu+audio for 5 seconds to get to the first developer menu
Hold enter for a few seconds to get to second menu
Scroll to ANC and turn it off *(there will be a deep base hum for 30-45 seconds but it does go away)
Old 10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
The first reply is right, using sport and sport + reduced the noise cancelation with the exhaust somehow to make it a bit louder. Not sure if it effects the ANC but it makes it sound a bit louder somehow.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by paulsaddiction
How to turn off ANC on base units (w/o nav):
Hold back+menu+audio for 5 seconds to get to the first developer menu
Hold enter for a few seconds to get to second menu
Scroll to ANC and turn it off *(there will be a deep base hum for 30-45 seconds but it does go away)
This was tested last year in the Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation forum. It comes back on once you turn the car off and back on again. You'd have to turn it off every time you drive the car.

Originally Posted by spoiler900
The first reply is right, using sport and sport + reduced the noise cancelation with the exhaust somehow to make it a bit louder. Not sure if it effects the ANC but it makes it sound a bit louder somehow.

From 2015 Acura TLX: Interior - Honda.com

Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC)

Key contributors to the TLX's quiet, refined interior are Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC). The two systems are comprised of dual overhead microphones, an ANC/ASC electronic processor, and the audio system's speakers. ASC/ANC operates whenever the engine is running, even if the audio system is turned off.

ANC is designed to reduce low frequency sound in the cabin caused mainly by the roughness of the road surface. The overhead microphones pick up sound waves and send them to the ANC/ASC processor, which creates and sends a precisely timed "reverse phase" audio signal to a special amplifier. In turn, the amplifier drives the door speakers to cancel the original noise signal.

ASC is a related technology designed to improve the engine sound quality by making the sound pressure level more linear as the engine revs increase. Typically, engine noise doesn't increase in a linear way with rising revs; instead there can be many resonances that create peaks and valleys in the sound pressure level and an uneven sound. ASC helps smooth out the engine sound by creating a same-phase or reverse-phase sound signal as needed and sending it to the speakers. Though the system offers benefits from idle to redline, it makes the largest difference in the range between 1400 and 2400 rpm (V6) and 1000 and 1800 rpm (4-cyl.), where it lowers the sound pressure level with a reverse-phase audio signal.

ASC is part of the Integrated Dynamics System (IDS). When the IDS is in ECON or Normal mode, the ASC system is tuned for a smooth, unobtrusive engine sound. When the IDS is switched to Sport or Sport+, the TLX's interior engine sound takes on a more aggressive note.
The following users liked this post:
wlkeel (10-27-2015)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just looking back into this because I want to upgrade the speakers and another post reminded me of the ANC so I had to check.

It's been over two months since my post about turning off the ANC and I checked about a week out (beginning of Nov) and it was still off and I just checked now and it's still off. I don't know who tested it last year or if there was a change depending on manufacture date but mine's stayed off.