Anybody upgraded from 3G TL Type S to 2018 TLX Aspec?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anybody upgraded from 3G TL Type S to 2018 TLX Aspec?

Like the title suggest, anyone like the 2018 more?

I test drove the regular 2018 v6 model becuase they didn't have the Aspec v6 to test drive at my local dealership.

my impressions are that the exterior looks nice (why didn't acura make the taillights full led?)

interior looks nice with red leather seats. Navi kinda looks outdated but who cares.

the drive was ok until I put it in sports+ mode (not aspec trim) and I felt the gas peddle, and steering felt nice and tight.

now about the engine power, it's the SAME engine like in my TL Type S but has now direct injection which should mean probably better fuel economy.

is it faster then my 08 TL Type S? No. My type s has high flow cats, jpipe and a full catback exhaust with a cold air intake. My type s feels like it has more power to play with. I'm gonna test drive the aspec soon but I don't see it being that much different in terms of driving experience from the regular sh-awd v6 I test drove.

my type s is approaching 200k km soon so I just don't know how much the value is gonna hold on for the type s trim (have around 8k in mods and stuff invested)

so my question is, anyone upgraded to the 18 tlx aspec and loving the power and drivbility coming from their 3g type s?

Anyone feels like B8.5 Audi S5 would be a much better car to buy since I actually get awd and over 320 horses and I actually own the car oppose to lease a TLX Aspec for around $650 a month for 4 years and I end up returning it back?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Just an hint.

Test drive in Sport+ (NOT the regular Sport) or you will be disappointed.

That saved the car for me.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Pegon95
Like the title suggest, anyone like the 2018 more?

I test drove the regular 2018 v6 model becuase they didn't have the Aspec v6 to test drive at my local dealership.

my impressions are that the exterior looks nice (why didn't acura make the taillights full led?)

interior looks nice with red leather seats. Navi kinda looks outdated but who cares.

the drive was ok until I put it in sports+ mode (not aspec trim) and I felt the gas peddle, and steering felt nice and tight.

now about the engine power, it's the SAME engine like in my TL Type S but has now direct injection which should mean probably better fuel economy.

is it faster then my 08 TL Type S? No. My type s has high flow cats, jpipe and a full catback exhaust with a cold air intake. My type s feels like it has more power to play with. I'm gonna test drive the aspec soon but I don't see it being that much different in terms of driving experience from the regular sh-awd v6 I test drove.

my type s is approaching 200k km soon so I just don't know how much the value is gonna hold on for the type s trim (have around 8k in mods and stuff invested)

so my question is, anyone upgraded to the 18 tlx aspec and loving the power and drivbility coming from their 3g type s?

Anyone feels like B8.5 Audi S5 would be a much better car to buy since I actually get awd and over 320 horses and I actually own the car oppose to lease a TLX Aspec for around $650 a month for 4 years and I end up returning it back?
I have driven the A-Spec and currently have a 17 v6 (same hp as 18 and trans) which I traded in my 07 Type S for so have some perspective. The type S was definitely faster and the trans in that is no comparison to the tlx. The type S you never missed or needed the 4 trans modes that the TLX has, it was always good for any situation. The paddle and slap shift knob in the Type S was way better than the paddle shifters in the TLX but the implementation is not the same. The tuned quad tail pipes on the S was better than the piped in exhaust on the A-spec, quiet during normal driving and just right when putting the pedal down. The sound system in the type S was way better as well as the brembo brakes. Also the navigation let you set it while you were driving while the TLX you have to stop or go through clunky voice commands and the interior was definitely more finished. Overall the Type S was more of a performance car and years back and even today not a dime a dozen on the road. Where the TLX stands out is MPG, softer ride and a quiet cabin. Overall if I had to do it over again I would have kept my Type S and waited for them to bring it back a type S model. The type S was definitely a rough, stiff ride but was always a fun one and the performance was always there. There is a lot to like with the A-spec but it is in no way a Type S. Maybe the 2nd gen will get the performance right but the current model is not close to it. Don't get me wrong it's a nice looking car but performance wise you can tell the difference. If you have a nice Type S then my advice would be to keep it unless you think its near the end of the line

Also as a side note I traded my Type S at the dealer. The salesman, service manager and sales manager all wanted it. They did have it listed for 3 days on their website but I was there about a month back and it was parked in the garage so I think the sales manager ended up with it. On the plus side the resale on the Type S is very good so don't underestimate the value of that car. It's still highly sought after in good condition no matter what the dealer may tell you. If you have a manual then add a couple G's more onto the value as they are rare and in demand.

Last edited by jhb31; 07-14-2017 at 09:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wilspainar (07-17-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
It is a shame for automaker when its current models can not be compared to its own models from previous decade. I dont know what they meant by "smart luxury" and "precision crafted performance"? Value for money?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
It is a shame for automaker when its current models can not be compared to its own models from previous decade. I dont know what they meant by "smart luxury" and "precision crafted performance"? Value for money?
True but sad. The 3G TL was and still is a great vehicle. The TLX would have been considerably better if Acura didn't use the ZF transmission and kept the Tech up to date. I would have gladly sacrificed a few mpg if they kept the same transmission from the 4G TL.

The RDX is a great value for the money. Save for the outdated infotainment system, it is a great value for what it is by far than anything else in its class.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
The TLX would have been considerably better if Acura didn't use the ZF transmission and kept the Tech up to date.
This was so 2015. It is just a fine transmission once debugged. Your hear no trend of complaints for 2016+.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
In all honesty, the ZF in my 16 3.5 shifts at least as good as the 6AT in my 15 MDX.

in terms of the comparisons to the TL-S, I've never owned one but have driven the 5AT model once or twice. I can say that down low, acceleration is close. But it's when speeds hit triple digits that the TLX V6 will pull away. (Magazine tests seem to confirm that with traps that favor the TLX FWD vs the TL-S)

Where the TLX reaps serious dividends over the TL-S is fuel economy. In regularly get mid-upper 30s on road trips while in Sport mode. The only other TL/TLX that'll best that is the TLX 2.4 (maybe)

All that said, I'd still like to have a TL-S 6MT as a daily driver.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
In all honesty, the ZF in my 16 3.5 shifts at least as good as the 6AT in my 15 MDX.

in terms of the comparisons to the TL-S, I've never owned one but have driven the 5AT model once or twice. I can say that down low, acceleration is close. But it's when speeds hit triple digits that the TLX V6 will pull away. (Magazine tests seem to confirm that with traps that favor the TLX FWD vs the TL-S)

Where the TLX reaps serious dividends over the TL-S is fuel economy. In regularly get mid-upper 30s on road trips while in Sport mode. The only other TL/TLX that'll best that is the TLX 2.4 (maybe)

The issue I have with the ZF9 vs the 07 type S is the only mode that is close in driving is the Sport+ mode. However using the paddle shifters on the tlx the downshifts always produce an initial speed up and then slows down. Not sure why but the type S in manual mode was more like a manual transmission where when you downshifted you slowed down rather than a second or two of going faster. Going up gears is fine but the down shifting is really crap overall. Then again the paddle shifters to me are a novelty and even though my type S had them the slap shift was way more fun and I used it a lot more. Not a fan of the push button trans in general but I guess not everyone has the perspective of both cars. In general the type S was a combination of sport/sport+ mode without all the bad quirks the tlx has with the downshift speed up and the holding high revs in sport mode forever even after leveling off your speed.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
well I regularly got a V6 FWD and SH-AWD TLX loaner from my local dealer and here is mine take between the TL-S and 2017 TLX.

0-60-80-100 the TLX hand down is the winner over my TL-S AT and no surprise here as I got a 5spd slush box mean while the ZF9 get better gearing ratio.
Shifting in M mode is clunky in the TLX there always a delay before the car would up shift or down shift and this is not the case for my TL-S.
Styling no doubt that the TL-S win no matter exterior or interior.
I avg 22 MPG on the TLX and 17 mpg on my TL-S (A/C always on)
TLX is more quite inside and the ride is softer however if you try to be aggressive in the corner you first will find the tires don't want to work and the soft suspension reveal body roll.
PAWS extremely annoying at low speed corner its feels like a RWD car with a bad rear suspension, I drive a 1st gen IS300 so that tight turn is something I get used to.
TLX interior is completely disaster compare to my 3g TL or the RL, $40k car and cheap plastic can be found everywhere (especially the dash)
In the TLX I always leave IDS in Sport to get the similar driving in my TL-S.
The new pentagon grill is too big on the 2018 TLX

Honestly I told my service advisor is that if any thing goes happened I would look into a MDX and that probably will be my last Acura (as I owned most of the Acura product) before Honda/Acura decide get back to the game. Many people at the dealership already line up telling me to call them if I decide to trade the Type S in. IF I ever got a TLX it has to be SH-AWD, I hate PAWS.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truonghthe
well I regularly got a V6 FWD and SH-AWD TLX loaner from my local dealer and here is mine take between the TL-S and 2017 TLX.

0-60-80-100 the TLX hand down is the winner over my TL-S AT and no surprise here as I got a 5spd slush box mean while the ZF9 get better gearing ratio.
Shifting in M mode is clunky in the TLX there always a delay before the car would up shift or down shift and this is not the case for my TL-S.
Styling no doubt that the TL-S win no matter exterior or interior.
I avg 22 MPG on the TLX and 17 mpg on my TL-S (A/C always on)
TLX is more quite inside and the ride is softer however if you try to be aggressive in the corner you first will find the tires don't want to work and the soft suspension reveal body roll.
PAWS extremely annoying at low speed corner its feels like a RWD car with a bad rear suspension, I drive a 1st gen IS300 so that tight turn is something I get used to.
TLX interior is completely disaster compare to my 3g TL or the RL, $40k car and cheap plastic can be found everywhere (especially the dash)
In the TLX I always leave IDS in Sport to get the similar driving in my TL-S.
The new pentagon grill is too big on the 2018 TLX

Honestly I told my service advisor is that if any thing goes happened I would look into a MDX and that probably will be my last Acura (as I owned most of the Acura product) before Honda/Acura decide get back to the game. Many people at the dealership already line up telling me to call them if I decide to trade the Type S in. IF I ever got a TLX it has to be SH-AWD, I hate PAWS.
Same experience for me when i traded in my type S. The salesperson wanted it, the sales manager wanted it and the service manager wanted it. I made a huge mistake on my part trading it in and miss it every day. Even my daughter who didn't like the "hard" ride in the type S after a couple months said the type S was a sportier car and the TLX was just another car. Not sure about 0-100 but 0-60 the type S is faster. I have stated it before but with hindsight I should have held onto the type S. I have had the TLX for 4 months and have not seen a type S on the road in that time. Just a great car all the way around. The MPG wasn't near the TLX or quiet ride but the car was very performance first and the quad exhaust was quiet when driving but hit all the notes when you put the hammer down. No piped in sound through the stereo. Oh, and the stereo system was by far way better along with the navigation system. I like the Aspec styling but without performance upgrades with trans or engine it's the same car with some lipstick. You are spot on about the interior as well. Anyway, just a rant. I paid 32K for my Type S new and about that same price for my TLX tech V6.with a few dealer options added. Not sure I could add another 12k for what is mostly cosmetic changes. The trans has to go, it can be reprogrammed till the end of days but its not great. It's better than the 2015 trans but not close to the flawless trans in the 3rd gen.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
every time I step into a TLX that dash always being the most annoying part to look at. I wonder why they can use a piece quality synthetic leather cover lower part of the dash. TLX is not a direct Type S replacement (even with the Aspec)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Technically, there hasn't been a successor to the 07-08 Type S. And to be honest, the 3.2TL had a higher quality interior than the TLs which came afterwards. (Same with the 6G Accord)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really interested in the TLX V6 SH-AWD A-Spec, but further on down the road. I'm 40 and I still have my 8thgen Civic Si that I love very much. But sometimes I want something quieter, more comfortable (because the roads I have to drive on in SoCal are s**t..! If I'm coming from a K20 high reving civic, how would this car compare when it comes to the ride quality? Also, I'm a car guy who has aspirations to either air ride the suspension of my current Civic (for comfort), or "bag" the next car he gets. I'm interested in the TLX because of the looks, size (Bigger than my civic, but not too big), and the J35.

However, the Accord 2.0T Sport is also a contender with it's size and comfort. Our next car has to be family friendly, but I also want to do "me" by modding it with 3 piece wheels and air suspension.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
new accord has way more backseat room than the TLX but the TLX has a much better ride, it's super plush and comfy.
The following users liked this post:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

The V6 fwd has plenty of pedal left at 80-90. The new 4cyl turbos lose pedal at those speeds. Better low end torque on the turbos but they lose at top end. You get high 30smpg? Is econ mode on?