Any tips for Acura on how to get you sold on the MMC (likely 2017) model?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Question Any tips for Acura on how to get you sold on the MMC (likely 2017) model?

I know this board is mainly comprised of loyalists and previous loyalists who've grown a dislike with the current Acura offering.

How would you make the MMC TLX better aside from adding the manual transmission option and other superficial niceties (hidden exhausts, better looking I4 wheels and changes to the grill)?

My last Acura was dad-bought and it was a 94 Integra but I've been driving Honda's ever since.

I'm thinking the following:
  • Generic smartphone integration as the current one installed is Car Play / Apple-only
  • Introduction of an I4 Turbo + AWD model
  • Introduction of a Hybrid version
Old 09-15-2014, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
- High performance variant (w/ AWD), including more (even if slight) aggressive styling cues that do not result in a clunky, tacked-on looking body kit
- A non-wood grain option
- Better-looking 19 inch wheel option
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Acura will not listen to the users 50+ users on this section of the site. We are not their target buyer. .. just saying
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I second the hybrid request, the SH-SH-AWD variety.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Acura will not listen to the users 50+ users on this section of the site. We are not their target buyer. .. just saying
No harm in sharing our desires. We may not be THE target, but we may represent enough to be worthwhile. Look at Lexus success with the GS F Sport.

Right now the TLX is on my radar, but not number one. A sport variant with exhaust tips and floor shifter, and some nice 19 inch wheels would help. More power would be nice, but not a deal breaker. An adjustable suspension would be easy and would also make a difference.

Oh, and carbon fiber where the wood is would look killer in the black or gray interior.

Last edited by jjsC5; 09-15-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Suzuka Master

I didn't say there was any harm, just that they won't listen.. unless something changed lately
Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
My list is on technology rather than looks.

- Enhanced navigation systems with integration of Google maps and street view, announcement of red light cameras and speed limits
- Improved navigation that all voice recognition of full street address
- Improved ACC for smoother speed control and earlier recognition when approaching stopped cars
- Increased time for LKAS before steering input required
Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I didn't say there was any harm, just that they won't listen.. unless something changed lately
If Honda listen , well , Honda will go broken in two years.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
If Honda listen , well , Honda will go broken in two years.
Very true and still, so many people would not be happy!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
TLX type S:
*6-speed manual
*traditional handbrake
*bigger brakes -crossed drilled like MB with Acura on the caliper
*carbon fiber interior trim
*aluminum pedals
*visible exhaust tips
*blackout badging and grill
*some nice gunmetal 5-spoke rims like the Silverstars they made for the TSX.
*5 band EQ for the ELS system
*real leather on the door panels instead of vinyl

Sure I'd love to say RWD with a turbo but am trying to offer Acura a simpler and more realistic idea.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry

- Enhanced navigation systems with integration of Google maps and street view, announcement of red light cameras and speed limits
- Improved ACC for smoother speed control and earlier recognition when approaching stopped cars
Ditto! Especially on Google maps and google search and add all around camera, never thought I would care, but absolutely love them in my A6.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Curious - Why would you want it increased and for how long?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Height adjustable passenger seat on 4 cyl. models.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Hmmm good thread...

1) Type-S variant - preferably forced induction (the 4 cylinder from the Civic R will do) mated to a non-torque converter equipped DCT (yes, the RLX has a "regular" DCT, does it not? And i'm sure they've got one in development for the NSX?). A 6MT should be offered as well, but I won't hold it against them considering the target demographic

2) Higher res navigation with some sort of internet search feature. I don't know why the japanese brands have let the germans pass them so much on infotainment systems. I don't care about having twitter/facebook/news headlines sent to my nav screen, but it would be nice if I could ask google/bing/whoever acura wants to get in bed with how to get somewhere instead of praying that it's easily found in "places'.

3) Regular buttons for basic controls. All I want is a simple 6 preset buttons, a forward back switch, and a scroll wheel to go through folders/categories. I don't know why they'd bother with adding all of these ridiculous safety features to a car and then make it so you can't quickly get to the station/song you want without having to look at a screen to find the right button. Nothing is easier than owning a car and blindly knowing the buttons by feel.

4) Move adaptive cruise to the tech package or make it a standalone option. Having to go to advance to get adaptive cruise is an annoying money grab. Audi makes you do something similar (you have to get prestige to pick adaptive cruise as an option) and Infiniti makes you get 5 grand worth of packages as well... but that doesn't mean acura has to do it. It's on the $35000 accord touring. I spend a whole lot more time going forward than backwards, and a TLX isn't large or unmaneuverable, so I'd prioritize adaptive cruise over any of the parking features and ahead of lane keep assist for that matter.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Hmmm good thread...

1) Type-S variant - preferably forced induction (the 4 cylinder from the Civic R will do) mated to a non-torque converter equipped DCT (yes, the RLX has a "regular" DCT, does it not? And i'm sure they've got one in development for the NSX?).
Only because the NSX and RLX use the electric motor(s) to launch the car. They can feather in the gas engine once the car is smoothly away. It's either hybrid or torque converter for the DCT.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Make the prototype a reality with exposed exhausts, a 6MT option, more power (forced induction).
Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

For the first two, I think a simpler solution is just supporting Android auto (the counterpart of Apple car play). You just need to connect an android phone to the car's usb port and everything is done.

It's a surprise to me is that TLX hasn't support Android auto yet. Both Honda and Acura are on the supporting list of Android Auto when I attended google I/O 2014. And I think Acura is not on the list of cars that support Apple Car Play, but they actually do it reversely?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Okay, my apologies. I remembered we need Android L (Android 5.0) to do that, although the version they used in Google I/O is a 'modified' Android 4.4. Maybe that's the reason.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Colin
Only because the NSX and RLX use the electric motor(s) to launch the car. They can feather in the gas engine once the car is smoothly away. It's either hybrid or torque converter for the DCT.
Well maybe just this once acura can let a bit of the refinement go? Just this once? Is it too much to ask?

I don't think the S4 owners around here are complaining about the lack of a torque converter.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
How 'bout Some 18" rims with 45 or 50 series tires on the I4???

C'mon Acura -- 225/55R17's on your "It's That Kind of Thrill" TLX Performance Sedan?? Damn that's a rubber-to-rim ratio of a whopping 57.3%.

Anyone want a little rim to go with your rubber?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW, wouldn't MMC come in 2018? Generally the first three years are the same, and MMC comes in year 4 of a 5 year cycle.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by internalaudit
  • Generic smartphone integration as the current one installed is Car Play / Apple-only
I thought the 2015 TLX does NOT come with Apple Car Play?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think the S4 owners around here are complaining about the lack of a torque converter.
Without getting too far astray, why worry about those that bought the S4? If they offered a Type-S version (to compete with S4), Acura should be gunning for those that didn't find enough refinement in that offering. Surely a bigger market considering S4 vs A4 sales.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by andy75
I wonder if this is because it's not ready or only because iOS 8 isn't out yet? I talked to the guys at HFL and they told me they were surprised by Apple's inclusion of Honda/Acura at the WWDC '14 announcement.

Sorry for all the quotes, should have multi-quoted
Old 09-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by andy75
Correct. Only Siri Eyes-Free (ie. hold the talk button for 2-seconds to launch Siri and the phone screen stays off).

BTW--Quandry posted here how to get Google Now functionality on Android devices using the same launch method. I haven't verified that it works myself.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
- Head-up-display. These will become more common, heck even my wife's new Mini has a HUD ($500 option).

- Love to see Acura get an improved navigation system, but they are tied at the hip with Honda so they will both have to move forward at the same time. Who knows when that will be.

Originally Posted by seaeyes
For the first two, I think a simpler solution is just supporting Android auto (the counterpart of Apple car play). You just need to connect an android phone to the car's usb port and everything is done.

It's a surprise to me is that TLX hasn't support Android auto yet. Both Honda and Acura are on the supporting list of Android Auto when I attended google I/O 2014. And I think Acura is not on the list of cars that support Apple Car Play, but they actually do it reversely?
These may come before an MMC. I just wonder if they will retro-fit this via a software update to older cars like they did with Siri hands free
Old 09-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I wonder if this is because it's not ready or only because iOS 8 isn't out yet?
Framework for CarPlay is in iOS7.1 It appears that the TLX's audio/HVAC/Navi sytem comes straight from the MDX and RLX, leading me to think that it's more a money saving exercise than anything else. Wel'll likely see it end up in all three in the same model year.

Last edited by Gregg; 09-16-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
- Head-up-display. These will become more common, heck even my wife's new Mini has a HUD ($500 option).

- Love to see Acura get an improved navigation system, but they are tied at the hip with Honda so they will both have to move forward at the same time. Who knows when that will be.

These may come before an MMC. I just wonder if they will retro-fit this via a software update to older cars like they did with Siri hands free
I agree on HUD. I've had it on several cars, including my current BMW. When I drive my wives car I'm always looking for my speed in the windshield. It would definitely make a difference in my buying decision.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
BTW, wouldn't MMC come in 2018? Generally the first three years are the same, and MMC comes in year 4 of a 5 year cycle.
First three model years are 2015, 2016 & 2017. 4th year would be 2018 model, likely to be released in fall 2017.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
0-60 in 3s
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
gx3
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking the following:
  • Introduction of an I4 Turbo + AWD model
  • Introduction of a Hybrid version
[/QUOTE]

Yes to all three.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Pro

Without getting too far astray, why worry about those that bought the S4? If they offered a Type-S version (to compete with S4), Acura should be gunning for those that didn't find enough refinement in that offering. Surely a bigger market considering S4 vs A4 sales.
Isn't the S4 the benchmark of sports sedans of this size? I'd imagine acura should be gunning for those that didn't buy an S4 because it's expensive and costly to maintain. I don't think there's anything wrong with imitation in this sense, and a well developed dual clutch shouldn't need a torque converter to avoid feeling too "unrefined". Besides, if it is too unrefined for a customer, there's always the standard non Type-S V6 model to be had. There's room for all 3 models (I4, V6, FI I4) in my opinion.

Is it a small population that wants the extra power? Absolutely. Is it small enough to ignore? Probably. But it is the one blemish on the TLX, that it's closer to Accord in its strongest powertrain than it is to the strongest powertrain of its rivals (not including AMG/RS/M). It also lacks the aftermarket support of a few of these rivals. Remedying this would sure up the one chink on the TLX's armor.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Type S

And they should include Honda's Lanewatch system, I want to SEE what's in the blind spot. And I really like the preview function using the button on the control stalk, no need to signal to view a cyclist in my blind spot.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

ere's always the standard non Type-S V6 model to be had. There's room for all 3 models (I4, V6, FI I4) in my opinion.
Well, IMO there isn't room for specialty models because H/A doesn't build cars the way Audi/BMW/Merc/Porsche do. If they were to offer such a car, they would need to build thousands to seed dealers with inventory, and what about colors? Are they going to offer the same color palette as the regular TLXs? Every additional SKU increases inventory exponentially because we are expected to inventory cars to sell because Acura does not build to order.

Again, IMO, the only way a S4ish TLX would work is if the made a single production run ala Type-R Integra. Call it the TLX GTS and make it one color with only 500 made for the year. This way they could manufacture it one time, send two to each dealer (there are ~250 dealers) and get on with regular production. This would make it unique enough that it 'might' overcome the natural tendency for customers to say "if I'm spending [insert price] for an Acura, I might was well buy [insert brand]."
Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Pro

Is it really any more to manage than selling a ILX, ILX Hybrid, ILX 2.4 6MT, TSX, TSX 6MT, TSX V6, TL, TL SH-AWD, TL SH-AWD 6MT?

Acura's already slashed the ILX hybrid, and reduced 6 TSX/TL engine/transmission variants to 3. I'd certainly imagine that this hypothetical TL Type-S would outsell the RLX sport hybrid that Acura thought to be worth building.

Well, IMO there isn't room for specialty models because H/A doesn't build cars the way Audi/BMW/Merc/Porsche do. If they were to offer such a car, they would need to build thousands to seed dealers with inventory, and what about colors? Are they going to offer the same color palette as the regular TLXs? Every additional SKU increases inventory exponentially because we are expected to inventory cars to sell because Acura does not build to order.

Again, IMO, the only way a S4ish TLX would work is if the made a single production run ala Type-R Integra. Call it the TLX GTS and make it one color with only 500 made for the year. This way they could manufacture it one time, send two to each dealer (there are ~250 dealers) and get on with regular production. This would make it unique enough that it 'might' overcome the natural tendency for customers to say "if I'm spending [insert price] for an Acura, I might was well buy [insert brand]."
Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
A limited edition like Colin proposed makes sense, and is conceptually similar to Acura's approach with 6MT TSX models after 2009. They were offered in limited colors (on the grayscale only), and after 2010 only without the Tech package. Eventually they were only in the limited SE line. Recognizing the small volume, Acura limited the colors and trim level to maintain some production efficiency, and those who wanted 6MT bought them. Easy. Done.

I'm fine with some kind of limited edition if that's what it takes to get a reliable, reasonably priced alternative to the S4 and 335i -- especially if 6MT is in the mix. I've driven the I4 TLX and love the powertrain, but I'm just not ready to give up MT.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Is it really any more to manage than selling a ILX, ILX Hybrid, ILX 2.4 6MT, TSX, TSX 6MT, TSX V6, TL, TL SH-AWD, TL SH-AWD 6MT?
You make my point for me. These were all sales failures and this mistake should not be repeated. Anyway, I guess it depends on how 'hot' or exclusive they want to make it. A Type-S in Tech or Advance only, with SH-AWD and 2-3 colors could be workable.

Last edited by Colin; 09-18-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I think they should do a run of 2000 TLXs in highly similar form to that of the prototype and have that bitch making 350hp. And make a commercial that tells the general public of this limited run. They will sell like hotcakes.