Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
Reload this Page >

Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?

Notices

Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?

 
Old 03-20-2019, 02:10 PM
  #321  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree about biting the bullet and not putting something out half-baked. Since we've been seeing mules as far back as November/December 2018, the second gen TLX should launch without any significant hitches. Hopefully, they'll launch the TLX like the 2020 3-Series, 4-cylinder in Q1 and more powerful 6-cylinder shortly after in Q2.
CollinR4 is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 PM
  #322  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,277
Received 1,237 Likes on 750 Posts
Don't think Acura is on the list for a NYAS announcement. One of the guys was looking for a C8 announcement from GM, there was none, but don't remember seeing anything from Acura either. No longer have the data, sorry.

OPPS found it

https://www.autoshowny.com/press/#press-conferences

45 minutes on Wednesday

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-20-2019 at 06:26 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 06:47 PM
  #323  
Registered Member
 
dmski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 160
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4 View Post
I agree about biting the bullet and not putting something out half-baked. Since we've been seeing mules as far back as November/December 2018, the second gen TLX should launch without any significant hitches. Hopefully, they'll launch the TLX like the 2020 3-Series, 4-cylinder in Q1 and more powerful 6-cylinder shortly after in Q2.
Uhmmm, we're talking about Acura here. The TLX launch was delayed and the car was a total joke. The transmissions were apsolute joke. They all were rough shifting and slow. The interior was two generations behind as well. They cheaped out with Smart Luxury theme. Either way, I think the 20 model will only be around for six months or so
dmski is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 07:29 PM
  #324  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 208
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Don't think Acura is on the list for a NYAS announcement. One of the guys was looking for a C8 announcement from GM, there was none, but don't remember seeing anything from Acura either. No longer have the data, sorry.

OPPS found it

https://www.autoshowny.com/press/#press-conferences

45 minutes on Wednesday
4:00 - 4:45
Acura - Special Editions & Bourbon Tasting
Stand, Level 3
Acura is bringing booze to the their press conference? That's one way to pack the house or they need it because they have nothing to announce and want the press hammered by the end of it.
MrJames is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by MrJames:
CollinR4 (03-20-2019), F23A4 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 PM
  #325  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 363
Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski View Post
Uhmmm, we're talking about Acura here. The TLX launch was delayed and the car was a total joke. The transmissions were apsolute joke. They all were rough shifting and slow. The interior was two generations behind as well. They cheaped out with Smart Luxury theme. Either way, I think the 20 model will only be around for six months or so
Well they did bring the 2019 model out in early April 2018 which seems almost ridiculous not even being a new model release. The 2020 by that standard should be released in the next couple weeks. Then a 2021 model they could do later this year or in Jan/Feb 2020. I don't remember car models for the following year being released so early into the current year (particularly with minor changes in options) but don't follow release dates typically. Anyway, if they are sticking with the 1st gen TLX another year it will be at the dealers in the next few weeks and then speculation can start on when the 2021 model year will hit. Or maybe it's possible they Release the 2nd gen TLX late in the year also as a 2020 model.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 PM
  #326  
Registered Member
 
petdocmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY
Age: 40
Posts: 54
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It should come as no surprise that the 2020 TLX is unchanged from 2019. There have not been any sightings of heavy camouflaged 2nd gen cars yet. My hope is that these lightly camouflaged first gen mules are just testers for the new V6 turbo motor and not an actual type S variant. Reviving the type S nameplate, after a 12 year hiatus, for a sedan in its 6th year of production doesn't seem like a good idea. No offense to anyone with a 1st gen. They did a nice job with the mid cycle refresh, but a new motor with a new body and new interior is going to get a lot more people into the showrooms. The new RDX is a testament to that.

Last edited by petdocmb; 04-01-2019 at 10:23 PM.
petdocmb is offline  
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (04-02-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM
  #327  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 38
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm betting a year from now we will get the 2.0T models in fwd/awd . Then a few months later the Type S.
Ek9max is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:48 PM
  #328  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
So, Type S TLX will be 2021 Model Year. Can't wait to see it/test drive. I really hope it has active dampers / "track" mode suspension option!

My V6 TLX was in the shop for the pump recall + oil change + tire rotation. I got the ILX (requested it) for my loaner. It was the A-Spec variant.

I like basically *EVERYTHING* about my TLX significantly better.

I had thought that I might like the smaller/ligher car, maybe it would feel "peppier" - nope, my V6 is much more satisfying, no matter how much I bitch about it's lack of low end torque.

I've decided it's not a lack of power issue with my car, it's the lack of manual transmission / rear wheel drive (although I would certainly enjoy significantly more low end torque it wouldn't be very usable in my current FWD automatic tranny setup).

I need to test drive the SH-AWD variant - I did not do so when I bought mine because I was in too much of a hurry (bad idea, I know, oh well).
Christopher. is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 PM
  #329  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 38
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher. View Post
So, Type S TLX will be 2021 Model Year. Can't wait to see it/test drive. I really hope it has active dampers / "track" mode suspension option!

My V6 TLX was in the shop for the pump recall + oil change + tire rotation. I got the ILX (requested it) for my loaner. It was the A-Spec variant.

I like basically *EVERYTHING* about my TLX significantly better.

I had thought that I might like the smaller/ligher car, maybe it would feel "peppier" - nope, my V6 is much more satisfying, no matter how much I bitch about it's lack of low end torque.

I've decided it's not a lack of power issue with my car, it's the lack of manual transmission / rear wheel drive (although I would certainly enjoy significantly more low end torque it wouldn't be very usable in my current FWD automatic tranny setup).

I need to test drive the SH-AWD variant - I did not do so when I bought mine because I was in too much of a hurry (bad idea, I know, oh well).
I personally don't want active dampers as they always end up failing anyways.

I'm over manual transmissions also. Once you get a sporty lightning fast transmission. I think you'd give up on manuals.

The 8speed dual clutch is ok. And the 9soeed zf is one in my opinion.

I came from a 7speed dual clutch in my last car that was an s4. I swore off manuals after that. Getting into a more practical 19' tlx apsec AWD is making me miss a quicker shift a lot. But not making me miss a clutch pedal.
Ek9max is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 AM
  #330  
6 Forward 1 Back
 
Speed_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 2,234
Received 199 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Ek9max View Post
I personally don't want active dampers as they always end up failing anyways.

I'm over manual transmissions also. Once you get a sporty lightning fast transmission. I think you'd give up on manuals.

The 8speed dual clutch is ok. And the 9soeed zf is one in my opinion.

I came from a 7speed dual clutch in my last car that was an s4. I swore off manuals after that. Getting into a more practical 19' tlx apsec AWD is making me miss a quicker shift a lot. But not making me miss a clutch pedal.
Agree with you on the dampers. I'm pretty much the complete opposite regarding manuals though. So much so that I'm considering an Accord Sport 2.0 6 speed for my next car. I don't care how fast a good automatic shifts as opposed to the driving engagement of a manual. Funny to talk about driving engagement with an Accord, but aftermarket can fix a lot of the stock issues. I get back into my 2003 manual CL Type S and it puts a smile back on my face every time. I'm not holding my breath for a manual on the Type S, but if it did come with one the check is written. Maybe I've been soured on the issues with the ZF9, but it's slim pickings for reasonable manual sedans that are new and that aren't stripped down.
Speed_Racer is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 PM
  #331  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,267
Received 3,532 Likes on 1,780 Posts
I’m looking at the Accord Sport 2.0t manual, too! It’s 80% of the TLX...missing interior refinement and SH-AWD. I can live with that if I can put in a short shift kit (there is one for the new Accord) in.

As for active dampers...MEH. My CTS-V wagon comes with them. In the almost 6 1/2 years and 40k miles I’ve driven it, Ive had to replace all four. They just do EMR last long at all.
neuronbob is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 AM
  #332  
6 Forward 1 Back
 
Speed_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 2,234
Received 199 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
Iím looking at the Accord Sport 2.0t manual, too! Itís 80% of the TLX...missing interior refinement and SH-AWD. I can live with that if I can put in a short shift kit (there is one for the new Accord) in.

As for active dampers...MEH. My CTS-V wagon comes with them. In the almost 6 1/2 years and 40k miles Iíve driven it, Ive had to replace all four. They just do EMR last long at all.
Is that the Acuity short shift kit?
Speed_Racer is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM
  #333  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.motor1.com/news/344208/a...tion-unveiled/

Extremely underwhelmed by the news of a limited edition TLX that is hand built. To me, this screams we need a new TLX for NYIAS next week and don't have one so we'll use this as a diversion.
CollinR4 is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:24 AM
  #334  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,277
Received 1,237 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4 View Post
https://www.motor1.com/news/344208/a...tion-unveiled/

Extremely underwhelmed by the news of a limited edition TLX that is hand built. To me, this screams we need a new TLX for NYIAS next week and don't have one so we'll use this as a diversion.
The sold 170 NSX last year. Most likely have a bunch of techs sitting around on their hands with nothing to do. Should stir up some revenue. The red paint is a winner. Maybe a marketing test for a $50K price point on the TLX.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-13-2019), CollinR4 (04-11-2019), pyrodan007 (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:19 PM
  #335  
6 Forward 1 Back
 
Speed_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 2,234
Received 199 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4 View Post
https://www.motor1.com/news/344208/a...tion-unveiled/

Extremely underwhelmed by the news of a limited edition TLX that is hand built. To me, this screams we need a new TLX for NYIAS next week and don't have one so we'll use this as a diversion.
Just when I thought they couldn't milk anymore appearance packages. I do like that shade of red though. I think it's the same one i've seen on the NSX making the car show rounds. Is that a Surround View camera I see in the grill though?

Last edited by Speed_Racer; 04-11-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Speed_Racer is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 PM
  #336  
Registered Member
 
Rocketsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,547
Received 524 Likes on 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer View Post
Just when I thought they couldn't milk anymore appearance packages. I do like that shade of red though. I think it's the same one i've seen on the NSX making the car show rounds. Is that a Surround View camera I see in the grill though?
Isn't that the same color (or similar to) the color that was on the prototype waaaaaaaay back when : https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...pe-first-look/
Rocketsfan is offline  
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-12-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 PM
  #337  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 516
Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer View Post
I'm pretty much the complete opposite regarding manuals though. So much so that I'm considering an Accord Sport 2.0 6 speed for my next car. I don't care how fast a good automatic shifts as opposed to the driving engagement of a manual. Funny to talk about driving engagement with an Accord, but aftermarket can fix a lot of the stock issues. I get back into my 2003 manual CL Type S and it puts a smile back on my face every time. I'm not holding my breath for a manual on the Type S, but if it did come with one the check is written. Maybe I've been soured on the issues with the ZF9, but it's slim pickings for reasonable manual sedans that are new and that aren't stripped down.
I agree with you on manuals, and I'm also considering an Accord Sport 2.0T with 6MT. I've driven the 1.5T with manual, which was surprisingly good, and also the 2.0T with automatic, which was flat-out excellent IMO -- and would have been even better with the 6MT.

And you're not kidding about "slim pickings for reasonable manual sedans" -- they're almost extinct in the U.S. The new 3 Series is auto-only (apart from the M3), Audi dropped the manual from the A4, and Mazda just pulled the plug on the manual for the 6, though apparently it might become available as a special order. So what's left? Accord, Genesis G70, and a few compacts (Civic, WRX, Jetta). I think that's it.

This creates more incentive to get the Accord Sport 2.0T, because it will be one of the last opportunities to buy an excellent MT sedan. If I get one, it should last 10 years, and then I expect an EV will be next.
Nedmundo is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Speed_Racer (04-14-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM
  #338  
Registered Member
 
SuperHandlingTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 42
Posts: 106
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo View Post
I agree with you on manuals, and I'm also considering an Accord Sport 2.0T with 6MT. I've driven the 1.5T with manual, which was surprisingly good, and also the 2.0T with automatic, which was flat-out excellent IMO -- and would have been even better with the 6MT.

And you're not kidding about "slim pickings for reasonable manual sedans" -- they're almost extinct in the U.S. The new 3 Series is auto-only (apart from the M3), Audi dropped the manual from the A4, and Mazda just pulled the plug on the manual for the 6, though apparently it might become available as a special order. So what's left? Accord, Genesis G70, and a few compacts (Civic, WRX, Jetta). I think that's it.

This creates more incentive to get the Accord Sport 2.0T, because it will be one of the last opportunities to buy an excellent MT sedan. If I get one, it should last 10 years, and then I expect an EV will be next.
The G70 2.0t is the only engine available with a manual. The 3.3tt has the 8AT.
SuperHandlingTL is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM
  #339  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 516
Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL View Post
The G70 2.0t is the only engine available with a manual. The 3.3tt has the 8AT.
Yes, and by some accounts the 6MT in the G70 2.0 Sport MT isn't very good. Car & Driver, who love MT as much as anyone, actually recommend the automatic in the G70. That's really depressing. I plan to test it anyway, but I've basically decided I'd prefer the Accord. Less expense, less hassle, and, having driven an automatic G70 2.0T, I think the Accord's engine is better. Turbo torque, and revs like a Honda -- what's not to like?
Nedmundo is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:17 PM
  #340  
Greg
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 58
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My personal recommendation is to attempt to fund a second car with a MT. It doesn't have to be expensive and it can be dedicated to sport - like a Miata, old Boxster, Z3, etc. Lots of wonderful choices and with the right type of insurance can be very reasonable to afford and you can keep it for a very long time. Storage is the biggest hassle. I recommend this because the automatic is going away. It has been for a long time. I'm not talking about maintstream manufacturers either, Porsche, BMW, the Italian cars....the only choice soon with be some form of automatic transmission. I bought an older sports car about ten years ago. At the time, my TSX was a manual, but my 4G TL is a slushbox. Traffic sucks so bad most places, I don't miss a manual. However, I can still sneak out for an early Saturday or Sunday AM blast if I want to row myself. My weekend ride is an '86 911, but I bought it before the prices started going nuts, I don't have deep reserves. The old adage of "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" applies in this category.

I am excited for the arrival of the '21 TLX. I'm in the market now, but don't want to pull the trigger until I see what's coming next from Acura. My guess is that it will be bigger, partly because the current gen Accord is larger and more spacious than the current TLX. One thing that would alter my guess would be if Acura rolls out a new large sedan (RLX or another name plate) this fall that isn't as large as a A8, 7 Series, etc. Acura's reveal of their 'production ready' Precision Concept at the August Pebble Beach mecca should answer a lot of questions. Which car is it replacing (TLX or RLX) and when will we get it. It seems odd to me that they would introduce the 2020 TLX in April, then announce the 2021 in the fall of '20. It seems more likely that the 2nd TLX will come in early 2021. So my completely baseless and wild arse guess is that we will see the Precision Concept MDX and RLX replacement this fall, and the Precision Concept TLX in the spring of '21. I figure I have a 99% chance of being wrong and a 1% chance of being right, but at least there is a chance.

Last edited by gregwils; 04-26-2019 at 12:20 PM.
gregwils is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM
  #341  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by gregwils View Post
My personal recommendation is to attempt to fund a second car with a MT. It doesn't have to be expensive and it can be dedicated to sport - like a Miata, old Boxster, Z3, etc. Lots of wonderful choices...
I really should try a Miata, or, maybe even a beat up few year old Ford Focus RS?

I keep saying I wish my TLX had more power (more torque), but I should remember that when I rented a Toyota Echo for a couple days years ago, I thought that car was actually fun, because it was light and felt peppy. Just about any moderately light, sporty suspension, RWD MT car could be fun...

Would love it if they (Honda) made a roadster w/the 2.0T engine, RWD, MT, and, didn't charge a lot for it. I really don't see why they had to charge $40,000 for the Civic Type R - why not make and sell more of them, let everyone have some fun (even those of us who can barely afford one $35 - $40K car, much less a second "weekend" one for that much!).
Christopher. is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 01:47 PM
  #342  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4 View Post
https://www.motor1.com/news/344208/a...tion-unveiled/

Extremely underwhelmed by the news of a limited edition TLX that is hand built. To me, this screams we need a new TLX for NYIAS next week and don't have one so we'll use this as a diversion.
About as exciting as a piece of poop on a plate - no thanks!

I just want a car that's actually FUN to drive, and doesn't cost $50K - $150K!!!
Christopher. is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 07:34 PM
  #343  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,267
Received 3,532 Likes on 1,780 Posts
I keep hearing complaints about the TLX's power and torque levels. However, I've never felt my TLX was short on power or torque, and it always has passing power when I need it. When shfting with the paddles, I can shift right into the correct part of the power band, too. I am probably spoiled, though, since I have a 556 hp super wagon, and a sports car with the same power as the TLX, but weighing only 3000 pounds.

I'm not going to complain about the TLX's power, but neither am I going to complain if Acura gives us more power in the next gen. After all, some people can have only one car, and that one car has to be fun and practical. That's where I started from...
neuronbob is offline  
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (05-09-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 09:26 PM
  #344  
Registered Member
 
SuperHandlingTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 42
Posts: 106
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
I keep hearing complaints about the TLX's power and torque levels. However, I've never felt my TLX was short on power or torque, and it always has passing power when I need it. When shfting with the paddles, I can shift right into the correct part of the power band, too. I am probably spoiled, though, since I have a 556 hp super wagon, and a sports car with the same power as the TLX, but weighing only 3000 pounds.

I'm not going to complain about the TLX's power, but neither am I going to complain if Acura gives us more power in the next gen. After all, some people can have only one car, and that one car has to be fun and practical. That's where I started from...
I think the issue lies with what the current TLX actually competes with. The base 2.4 actually competes with the 180hp BMW 320i and the 190hp Audi A4 2.0t FWD. The V6 competes with the 255hp BMW 330i and the 252hp Audi A4 2.0t Quattro yet the V6 TLX is slower than both and makes more power on paper. Iím sure the German 2.0tís are heavily underrated.

the next gen TLX will move up in its segment. The base TLX 2.0t will go against the 330i, A4 2.0t Quattro, C300 while the Type-S will go against M340i, the S4 and the C43 AMG.
SuperHandlingTL is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 PM
  #345  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Oh, the TLX has plenty of power, but (there is a but) you have to rev the engine up into it's power band to really use that power.

Part of the problem is that it's not high on low RPM torque, and part of the problem is that it's a little bit heavy?

Also, I guess I shouldn't have gotten the FWD version because what I really like is the rush of a fast 0 - 30 acceleration.

If I'm already going 10 - 30 MPH and I downshift and push the throttle to the floor, yes, it does feel beastly and fast. And, no complaints at all about highway acceleration - it's a more than capable "near luxury sedan", it's just not a sports sedan.
Christopher. is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:31 AM
  #346  
Some Guy Who Loves Cars
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 167
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Are you guys talking 2.4 or 3.5? I donít think anyone with the 3.5 complains about enough power. In fact, I love flogging mine around town at low revs (ZF9 behavior notwithstanding). Its 5.7 sec 0-60 is respectable compared to a lot of Euro and Asian sedans. Conversely, the 2.4 lacks much of any grunt at any revs. It leaves me wanting so much more, personally. Its 6.9 sec 0-60 is just your typical neutered four banger. It does what itís supposed to do efficiently and reliably. But buying a 2.4, then complaining about power (not saying anyone here does that), sort of misses the whole point of choosing a car and powertrain.
someguy11 is online now  
Old 04-28-2019, 08:04 AM
  #347  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11 View Post
Are you guys talking 2.4 or 3.5? I don’t think anyone with the 3.5 complains about enough power.
The 3.5 - for a while, after I first got the car I was quite upset with the seeming lack of power.

When I pressed the accel it felt like in between me, and the car, was my grandma saying "whoa, we're not gonna accelerate fast, nice and easy does it..."

I absolutely hated the unresponsiveness - the way the engine had to rev up first before I could feel the car accelerate. Almost as if it had to wind up a rubber band and then the car would start to go. Also, sometimes after slowing down to turn, then needing to get going quick to make the turn and get out of the way of oncoming traffic some part of the car's computer system decided to cut the power way down leaving me nearly in a panic as I'm about to get T-boned if the other driver wasn't paying attention. I've seen other people complain about this problem too.

Conversely, if you're on the highway and want to pass, the (3.5L V6) TLX has great acceleration. I also discovered that if I'm already going 10 - 30 MPH and I downshift into the power band I can accelerate basically to the limit of my tire's traction.

So, while I think that the engine doesn't have as much low end torque as I want, I'm not certain of that. I am certain that I hate hate hate how the engineers tried to take away my control of the throttle under many circumstances - how they tried to make the car too "smooth", and maybe the ZF9 transmission bugs me when you try to accelerate off the line, but I'm not sure. Because I can easily do "burn outs" if I try, but that's not really what I want to do most of the time, I mostly just want to feel like I'm in control, not some software that's trying to make things more relaxed.

I suppose that what I want is the feeling of control you get from a throttle that's connected to the pedal with a cable, and not going through a computer first, and, a manual transmission - where you don't have a torque converter or something that makes the accell feel "squishy"/delayed. I want to feel the car respond immediately as I press the throttle, not 1/2 second later.

Last edited by Christopher.; 04-28-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Christopher. is offline  
The following users liked this post:
someguy11 (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 AM
  #348  
Some Guy Who Loves Cars
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 167
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher. View Post
I want to feel the car respond immediately as I press the throttle, not 1/2 second later.
Christopher: I could have quoted your whole entire post and agreed with it. I regularly observe and experience what you describe. My hesitations, delays, “rubber bandy” CVT-like clutch/torque converter-riding are identical to yours. But I’m absolutely certain every ounce of your frustration should fall squarely on the ZF9, not the 3.5. I don’t think our cars are underpowered. I think the 3.5 is beyond adequate. I think our slush box is one of the laziest, laggiest, apathetic trannies ever produced. Mine often hangs at 3500rpm for a second before upshifting from 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5, it constantly feels like someone is hitting me from behind under 10 mph, it slugs around corners and it hunts for gears while cruising at 55mph - all of this is AFTER my ZF9 was replaced. What year is yours? If it’s an early 15, you should try to get yours replaced. That will at least eliminate the ridiculous jerkiness.

There is another thread where I said something about loving nothing more about my car then when the 3.5, ZF9 and SH-AWD work together properly and push me into the back of my seat when I lay on it. But for most daily commuting, the ZF9 makes me shake my head at some point almost every day.

If the ZF9 makes it into the next generation TLX - however perfected they proclaim it to be - geez, I don’t even know what to say. That would be disastrous.

Last edited by someguy11; 04-28-2019 at 09:05 AM.
someguy11 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM
  #349  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
RE: ZF9 - my TLX is 2018. Driving with Traction Control turned off basically all the time has alleviated most of my frustration.

I suppose I should pay more attention to exactly what gear it's in, I only do that occasionally so I couldn't speak to your issues around certain gears.

I hate how "Sport+" felt driving around town w/frequent stopping. I'd rather be more in control myself, than have a "mode" that keeps the revs high (particularly when driving around small roads in town).

I would cry tears of joy, if I could have: Slightly lighter TLX w/RWD + MT (but not more expensive - $35K is already "a stretch" for our budget).

If I could just rent a BMW M2 a few times throughout the summer, I think that would scratch the itch, and I'd settle down happy as a pig in mud, with my TLX as it is, even with it's not ideal transmission. I'm already very pleased with the car 90% of the time, once discovering that Traction Control was a large part of the "why does it feel like my grandma is driving" issue.
Christopher. is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM
  #350  
Greg
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 58
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd actually like to see the 2.0T and 10spd from the Accord along with a couple of electric motors for a SH-AWD making well over 300HP and getting well over 30mpg. All off-the-shelf parts, would not be difficult. We should be able to stop guessing in about six months.
gregwils is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Beached (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 PM
  #351  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,267
Received 3,532 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Don’t get me started about the ZF9 again... Who in F thought this was acceptable in a sedan with sporting intentions?
neuronbob is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:11 PM
  #352  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 527
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by gregwils View Post
I'd actually like to see the 2.0T and 10spd from the Accord along with a couple of electric motors for a SH-AWD making well over 300HP and getting well over 30mpg. All off-the-shelf parts, would not be difficult. We should be able to stop guessing in about six months.
I'd be happy with "just" the 2.0T and the 10 speed, in a "base" model. I'd be even happier if they made an ILX w/2.0T + SH-AWD...

Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
Donít get me started about the ZF9 again... Who in F thought this was acceptable in a sedan with sporting intentions?
Hey, once you learn the car, and turn off Traction Control, it's a damn nice "daily driver family car" - but yeah, it's no substitute for a BMW M2 (I assume, since I haven't driven the M2 yet).
Christopher. is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 PM
  #353  
I love spreadsheets.
 
Denali05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Baton Rouge / Red Stick
Posts: 81
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Another shot of the alleged Type S in testing. This one is definitely further along in design than previous ones, as can be seen by the slightly different grill and DRLs. Front fascia is leaning very close to the refreshed ILX and DRL is almost identical. One notable difference is that the grill on this tester seems to protrude a little more than the ILX, similar to how Ford designed the grill on the Mustang (not a bad thing, imo). I'm looking forward to seeing the full refresh.





Denali05 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 PM
  #354  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 363
Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Denali05 View Post
Another shot of the alleged Type S in testing. This one is definitely further along in design than previous ones, as can be seen by the slightly different grill and DRLs. Front fascia is leaning very close to the refreshed ILX and DRL is almost identical. One notable difference is that the grill on this tester seems to protrude a little more than the ILX, similar to how Ford designed the grill on the Mustang (not a bad thing, imo). I'm looking forward to seeing the full refresh.
Definitely has some extra padding over the curves. Grill looks the same and all the extra padding is similar to the existing TLX curves. Hard to say if its a 2nd Gen body with all the padding so could still be another 1st gen padded up. Guess we are several months away from seeing any pictures that reveal anything.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:09 PM
  #355  
Registered Member
 
a35tl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 942
Received 275 Likes on 176 Posts
It looks considerably larger than the current TLX. I really hope Acura nails this one! I'm rooting for them.
a35tl is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:29 PM
  #356  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 29
Posts: 64
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl View Post
It looks considerably larger than the current TLX. I really hope Acura nails this one! I'm rooting for them.
I first mentioned that when the first pics of the type s was released. The front looks longer to me

Mak P is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:05 AM
  #357  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 363
Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl View Post
It looks considerably larger than the current TLX. I really hope Acura nails this one! I'm rooting for them.
I think that is more due to the spy pic being more angled to a side view vs the white TLX photo being closer to a 45% view. The angles of the pics are not the same so it can skew one vs the other. Just a guess. Also seems a little lower but the tires are much lower profile than the other ones which I hope they don't go too low profile as the roads around my area are pretty rough these days. Already used the rim/tire insurance a few times.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 02:08 PM
  #358  
Registered Member
 
a35tl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 942
Received 275 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31 View Post
I think that is more due to the spy pic being more angled to a side view vs the white TLX photo being closer to a 45% view. The angles of the pics are not the same so it can skew one vs the other. Just a guess. Also seems a little lower but the tires are much lower profile than the other ones which I hope they don't go too low profile as the roads around my area are pretty rough these days. Already used the rim/tire insurance a few times.
The white car pictured is an ILX.
a35tl is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 PM
  #359  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 363
Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
lol, well the ILX is smaller. Just assumed it was a TLX since this is a TLX thread, but I didn't look to closely enough at the white one. Still think it is most likely a 1st gen TLX as despite the padding it has that look. All previous TL redesigns had very significant body changes. I think they need that as well with the next gen TLX if they want to get the sales numbers headed in the right direction. Six years on the current design is enough although the 2017 refresh is closer to what it should have been from the start but subtle changes will not move the needle much on the decreasing sales of the TLX..
jhb31 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 PM
  #360  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,121
Received 254 Likes on 170 Posts
Looks very large! Could it be RLX?
Tony Pac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.