Notices

Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020?

 
Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 PM
  #361  
Summer is Coming
 
Rocket_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,774
Received 582 Likes on 342 Posts
Do you think they put the cut out for the rear door handle up 'high' like that just to mess with us? Or does it look like the door handle really is up high like that?
Rocket_man is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:54 PM
  #362  
Greg
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 58
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my '12 TL FWD in for an oil change and state inspection today. I was given a TLX SH-AWD A Spec w/Tech Package as a loaner. I now know first hand why people are whining about both the throttle response and the goofy transmission in that car. The throttle response and the speed of gear shifts in my '12 4G TL FWD with a six speed are vastly superior to that brand new TLX. I was really disappointed in this aspect of the car and it might have prevented me from ordering one. The throttle response makes the car feel lazy. Downshifts are downright goofy.

Otherwise, it seemed like a solid car. Cornered flat and I really liked the way the SH-AWD put power down when accelerating out of a corner. I have an old 911, it responds in a similar fashion.

I don't know. Acura needs to address this in 5G or I will likely go elsewhere.
gregwils is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by gregwils:
Christopher. (05-16-2019), someguy11 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 PM
  #363  
Registered Member
 
ZipSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 346
Received 103 Likes on 66 Posts
More than likely, the next TLX will get the exact powertrain from the RDX. Having test driven the RDX, I can say the transmission is much better. Shifts are quick although I think Acura still needs to work on the programming. The first few gears are a bit rough when you drive it normally, and the opposite was true on WOT. Hopefully the 10AT will be further refined for the next generation of Acura products.
ZipSpeed is offline  
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM
  #364  
Greg
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 58
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would love to see the RDX powertrain in the TLX. Isn't that the same engine/transmission as the Honda Accord 2.0T? I read a few complaints as you described regarding lack of low speed lack of refinement with the 10 speed automatic. Personally, I would like to see a hybrid variant using an electric motor for each rear wheel, similar to the RLX. In fact, I would not be surprised to see that offered as a RDX hybrid.
gregwils is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 PM
  #365  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 468
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gregwils View Post
I had my '12 TL FWD in for an oil change and state inspection today. I was given a TLX SH-AWD A Spec w/Tech Package as a loaner. I now know first hand why people are whining about both the throttle response and the goofy transmission in that car. The throttle response and the speed of gear shifts in my '12 4G TL FWD with a six speed are vastly superior to that brand new TLX. I was really disappointed in this aspect of the car and it might have prevented me from ordering one. The throttle response makes the car feel lazy. Downshifts are downright goofy.

Otherwise, it seemed like a solid car. Cornered flat and I really liked the way the SH-AWD put power down when accelerating out of a corner. I have an old 911, it responds in a similar fashion.

I don't know. Acura needs to address this in 5G or I will likely go elsewhere.
Before you decide, try this: Put it in Sport (not Sport+!) mode, turn OFF Traction Control, and use the paddle shifters. I mean, I understand you shouldn't have to do those things to enjoy a car sold under the marketing slogan "Precision Performance" - but, you might possibly find that it makes the car enjoyable enough that it's worth doing? That's what I do and it has enabled me to more thoroughly like my 2018 TLX. And I am frequently supprised at how flat it remains going around corners and how much better it is at that than various other cars including the VW GTi that I used to own previously.
Christopher. is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:05 AM
  #366  
Registered Member
 
someguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 131
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gregwils View Post
I now know first hand why people are whining about both the throttle response and the goofy transmission in that car.
We're not whining. But since you threw gas on the fire, the longer I drive this car, the more crazy behavior I experience. Throttle response: as in pushing the pedal down when turning into traffic, turning across traffic or merging onto the expressway - and constantly having a 1-2 second delayed acceleration? Goofy tranny: as in push button delays, lunging in/out of park, lazy shifts, early shifts, late shifts and gear hunting? The other day, I hit the power button to start the car and it lunges forward a couple inches... /facepalm. WTF is wrong with this thing? I'm sure it's "operating within parameters" according to Acura.

I try focusing on the positives when I'm behind the wheel of my TLX, but that is really, really challenging with the whole cabin vibrating between 70 and 80mph. This car does a ton of things really well, which are the silver lining to driving what is otherwise a dumpster fire. My TSX was leaps and bounds better in every single aspect except technology. Heck, my Odyssey is a better driving experience than my TLX. It rides smoothly, shifts crisply, accelerates and brakes predictably and has been ultra reliable. I don't know a single person at the local Honda dealer by name. My Acura service advisor, on the other hand, he and I have been on a first name basis since about five visits ago. So there you go. A mainstream minivan is a more enjoyable vehicle to drive and own than a precision crafted performance/luxury sedan. I think Acura killed any chance of success for future sedans with this debacle of a 5G TLX. At least the V6 ZF9 SHAWD version. They proved they don't know what they are doing.

My level of resentment for Acura grows with each trip, day, week and month driving the TLX. Simultaneously, with each passing year, the financial impact of trading it in will become less severe. At some point, when those curves intersect and invert, I will move on to one of the superior sedan makers. BMW, Lexus, Audi, MB, etc. There is absolutely zero chance I will look at another Acura. I know for a fact there are dozens of others on this forum who feel the same way.

Last edited by someguy11; 05-17-2019 at 07:18 AM.
someguy11 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 AM
  #367  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 468
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
someguy11 Did you call that Acura Care 1-800 number to tell them about the problems you're having? I had a complaint about a part taking too long and they found one at another dealer and had it shipped overnight. Your problems are more serious, but, they should still resolve them for you.

I nearly had my car hit (with my kids in it) because of the power delay you are talking about, so now I drive 100% of the time with Traction Control off and that problem is gone. I'm not sure what kind of safety I'm losing with Traction Control off, but I know that there is significant safety lost with it on - if I left it on, the day would come that I had to get out of the way after turning and the absolutely idiotic horrendous power delay would mean that I don't make it and get T-boned.

I have zero vibration problems and am happy to own a car with less maintenance problems and significantly lower maintenance costs than brands like BMW (drastically lower than Audi, Audi maintenance costs are basically insane for many owners).

I don't want to have to drive with T.C. always off, but, I'm not looking forward to trying to deal with Acura to get the issue resolved - however, were I not willing to turn T.C. off every time I get in my car, I absolutely would, and think I probably still should. If I were in your shoes, I would simply keep demanding resolution until I got it, or until they gave me a new car (lemon law).
Christopher. is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 PM
  #368  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 29
Posts: 57
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I really hope the infotainment system not as bad as the rdx. The reviews on Edmunds are so bad
Mak P is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 AM
  #369  
Registered Member
 
TSXV6Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario (Canada)
Age: 53
Posts: 590
Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P View Post
I really hope the infotainment system not as bad as the rdx. The reviews on Edmunds are so bad
The infotainment system will be the deal maker or breaker for me.

I spent 15 minutes with the RDX the other day, trying the infotainment and hoping to like it. While it's much better that the Lexus "mouse" or "trackpad" system, I decided that I will not get a car that has a pointer-style infotainment... I suspect Acura management have committed to this style infotainment, and will push it through the lineup. It's like they never used the infotainment while driving the car!
TSXV6Guy is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 AM
  #370  
Greg
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 58
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy View Post
I suspect Acura management have committed to this style infotainment, and will push it through the lineup.
You can probably bet on it. If you feel this strongly, then I would suggest crossing Lexus and Acura off your list.
gregwils is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 AM
  #371  
Registered Member
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 408
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
And now even Audi is moving away from the dial and going touchscreen. The new 2020 A4 will be touchscreen. I really like the Audi system and got used to it after about a week or two. Touchscreens will basically be in all cars very soon. I think Mazda does it, but while driving you have to use the dial..which seems like a good compromise.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM
  #372  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,230
Received 1,222 Likes on 740 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
And now even Audi is moving away from the dial and going touchscreen. The new 2020 A4 will be touchscreen. I really like the Audi system and got used to it after about a week or two. Touchscreens will basically be in all cars very soon. I think Mazda does it, but while driving you have to use the dial..which seems like a good compromise.
It doesn't need to be one or the other. Have a touch screen & the dial. Very seldom use the touch screen because I have to reach for it. BMW brought it forward in the new 2020 G series.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-21-2019 at 11:18 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM
  #373  
Registered Member
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 4,983
Received 637 Likes on 373 Posts
My wife has RDX Advance and I don’t find the infotainment horrible, but does need some work. The Navi while an improvement they need to look at the quality of graphics even Hyundai is doing let alone Audi. The MID to me is a bigger disappointment, laggy, don’t understand the small to large motion as you scroll through and those stupid turbo and acceleration gauges (I turned them off). Acura really needs to outsource UI, maybe do like others and just go full Android OS and support Car Play and Android Auto.
KeithL is offline  
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM
  #374  
Registered Member
 
ESHBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 737
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P View Post
I really hope the infotainment system not as bad as the rdx. The reviews on Edmunds are so bad
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy View Post
The infotainment system will be the deal maker or breaker for me.

I spent 15 minutes with the RDX the other day, trying the infotainment and hoping to like it. While it's much better that the Lexus "mouse" or "trackpad" system, I decided that I will not get a car that has a pointer-style infotainment... I suspect Acura management have committed to this style infotainment, and will push it through the lineup. It's like they never used the infotainment while driving the car!
Originally Posted by gregwils View Post
You can probably bet on it. If you feel this strongly, then I would suggest crossing Lexus and Acura off your list.
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
And now even Audi is moving away from the dial and going touchscreen. The new 2020 A4 will be touchscreen. I really like the Audi system and got used to it after about a week or two. Touchscreens will basically be in all cars very soon. I think Mazda does it, but while driving you have to use the dial..which seems like a good compromise.
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
It doesn't need to be one or the other. Have a touch screen & the dial. Very seldom use the touch screen because I have to reach for it. BMW brought it forward in the new 2020 G series.
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
My wife has RDX Advance and I donít find the infotainment horrible, but does need some work. The Navi while an improvement they need to look at the quality of graphics even Hyundai is doing let alone Audi. The MID to me is a bigger disappointment, laggy, donít understand the small to large motion as you scroll through and those stupid turbo and acceleration gauges (I turned them off). Acura really needs to outsource UI, maybe do like others and just go full Android OS and support Car Play and Android Auto.
I am with you all on this, infotainment lately has been the big deal breaker for me. What is your ideal type? My coworker just got a new RDX and while I did not try the touch pad yet I watched her use it and it just seemed so awkward to me with the positioning, etc. I find touchscreens to be a little annoying too (especially in cold weather) but a screen and a wheel would be a decent compromise.
ESHBG is offline  
Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 PM
  #375  
Registered Member
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 58
Posts: 4,983
Received 637 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG View Post
I am with you all on this, infotainment lately has been the big deal breaker for me. What is your ideal type? My coworker just got a new RDX and while I did not try the touch pad yet I watched her use it and it just seemed so awkward to me with the positioning, etc. I find touchscreens to be a little annoying too (especially in cold weather) but a screen and a wheel would be a decent compromise.
I like what Audi has been doing and would love to try the new A4 or A6 with Virtual cockpit. I also like the Genesis system, it have not spent enough time to know of that opinion would hold up with real use. I actually dig the touchpad and the positional accuracy. I donít like the UI, the Navi graphics still suck one thing they all suck at is with the short super wide screens the navis all suck with seeing the view ahead. I find with screens in the upper part of the dash the aspect ratio provides for a taller screen and thus the whatís ahead view is better.
KeithL is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM
  #376  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 201
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
I played with the MBUX system in the new Mercedes GLE. It was probably the best I've seen. It has a touchscreen, a track pad in the center stack where your hand typically rests and touch sensitive buttons on the wheel to give you a choice in how you want to control everything. It was fast and responsive. The best thing Acura could do is copy it. I'm sure when the new MDX and probably TLX as well come out, they will include a full digital screen in the gauge cluster.

Here is the cockpit demo video from 2+ years ago and you can see how they incorporated some of it into the RDX.

MrJames is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 AM
  #377  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,088
Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
I played with the MBUX system in the new Mercedes GLE. It was probably the best I've seen. It has a touchscreen, a track pad in the center stack where your hand typically rests and touch sensitive buttons on the wheel to give you a choice in how you want to control everything. It was fast and responsive. The best thing Acura could do is copy it. I'm sure when the new MDX and probably TLX as well come out, they will include a full digital screen in the gauge cluster.

Here is the cockpit demo video from 2+ years ago and you can see how they incorporated some of it into the RDX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmUE4YKPxUo

I think the next generation MDX and TLX will have RDX 2.0 infotainment system. May be not as advanced as this video but a step closer

August will be a huge month for Acura fans.
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 12:27 PM
  #378  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 201
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
What happens in August?
MrJames is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 PM
  #379  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw a Tlx today with a type s badge. I said to the gf thats not a type s and she's like yes it is. I said no its not cause theres no such thing.😂 I was tempted to get the guy to roll down his window and tell him my cars a type s and yours is not, lol.
PredatorWH is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Curious3GTL (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:16 PM
  #380  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 43
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PredatorWH View Post
Saw a Tlx today with a type s badge. I said to the gf thats not a type s and she's like yes it is. I said no its not cause theres no such thing.😂 I was tempted to get the guy to roll down his window and tell him my cars a type s and yours is not, lol.
that's like my dad with his AMG badge on his Benz C series, hahahaha.
chums is offline  
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
  #381  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,088
Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
What happens in August?
Acura promised that they will reveal their new sedan at Pebble beach.

I am not sure if it will be next generation TLX or RLX. But regardless of the model, I am sure we will find some cool features.
Tony Pac is offline  
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
  #382  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 97
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
Acura promised that they will reveal their new sedan at Pebble beach.

I am not sure if it will be next generation TLX or RLX. But regardless of the model, I am sure we will find some cool features.
Maybe a new Legend.
centflatsx is offline  
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
  #383  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 29
Posts: 57
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by centflatsx View Post
Maybe a new Legend.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/24/...end-trademark/
Mak P is offline  
Old Today, 05:17 AM
  #384  
Greg
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 58
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure about the name 'Legend'. I think I prefer the usual alpha or alpha numeric convention. No other premium manufacturer other than maybe Bentley, Rolls, Range Rover, etc. uses names. Porsche does both, but 911 is a brand. All of their new vehicles are names. Perhaps what really bothers me is mixed naming conventions. Legend and MDX is an odd mix, and they can't change MDX. It's the most recognizable model name in the lineup with 19 years of identity. One other options would be to use Legend in Europe, and 'X'LX in the states.

If this is an RLX replacement, they better kill it or it will be DOA.

I'm also anxious to see how 'production-ready' they mean. Will it be a 2020 RLX in the fall or a 2021 TLX early next year? Guess we will know a lot more in less than 90 days.
gregwils is offline  
Old Today, 07:21 AM
  #385  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,435
Received 13,980 Likes on 10,384 Posts
Honda hates us
justnspace is online now  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ggesq
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
23
03-01-2019 08:54 PM
ChromeHeart
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
33
10-03-2011 02:19 AM
Nodoze2004
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
20
03-18-2004 04:34 PM
pgt89
Car Parts for Sale
6
02-09-2004 12:43 PM
CLS-D
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
22
03-06-2002 09:41 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.