Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Do you think they put the cut out for the rear door handle up 'high' like that just to mess with us? Or does it look like the door handle really is up high like that?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Greg

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I had my '12 TL FWD in for an oil change and state inspection today. I was given a TLX SH-AWD A Spec w/Tech Package as a loaner. I now know first hand why people are whining about both the throttle response and the goofy transmission in that car. The throttle response and the speed of gear shifts in my '12 4G TL FWD with a six speed are vastly superior to that brand new TLX. I was really disappointed in this aspect of the car and it might have prevented me from ordering one. The throttle response makes the car feel lazy. Downshifts are downright goofy.

Otherwise, it seemed like a solid car. Cornered flat and I really liked the way the SH-AWD put power down when accelerating out of a corner. I have an old 911, it responds in a similar fashion.

I don't know. Acura needs to address this in 5G or I will likely go elsewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by gregwils:
Christopher. (05-16-2019), someguy11 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
More than likely, the next TLX will get the exact powertrain from the RDX. Having test driven the RDX, I can say the transmission is much better. Shifts are quick although I think Acura still needs to work on the programming. The first few gears are a bit rough when you drive it normally, and the opposite was true on WOT. Hopefully the 10AT will be further refined for the next generation of Acura products.
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Greg

I would love to see the RDX powertrain in the TLX. Isn't that the same engine/transmission as the Honda Accord 2.0T? I read a few complaints as you described regarding lack of low speed lack of refinement with the 10 speed automatic. Personally, I would like to see a hybrid variant using an electric motor for each rear wheel, similar to the RLX. In fact, I would not be surprised to see that offered as a RDX hybrid.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gregwils
I had my '12 TL FWD in for an oil change and state inspection today. I was given a TLX SH-AWD A Spec w/Tech Package as a loaner. I now know first hand why people are whining about both the throttle response and the goofy transmission in that car. The throttle response and the speed of gear shifts in my '12 4G TL FWD with a six speed are vastly superior to that brand new TLX. I was really disappointed in this aspect of the car and it might have prevented me from ordering one. The throttle response makes the car feel lazy. Downshifts are downright goofy.

Otherwise, it seemed like a solid car. Cornered flat and I really liked the way the SH-AWD put power down when accelerating out of a corner. I have an old 911, it responds in a similar fashion.

I don't know. Acura needs to address this in 5G or I will likely go elsewhere.
Before you decide, try this: Put it in Sport (not Sport+!) mode, turn OFF Traction Control, and use the paddle shifters. I mean, I understand you shouldn't have to do those things to enjoy a car sold under the marketing slogan "Precision Performance" - but, you might possibly find that it makes the car enjoyable enough that it's worth doing? That's what I do and it has enabled me to more thoroughly like my 2018 TLX. And I am frequently supprised at how flat it remains going around corners and how much better it is at that than various other cars including the VW GTi that I used to own previously.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I now know first hand why people are whining about both the throttle response and the goofy transmission in that car.
We're not whining. But since you threw gas on the fire, the longer I drive this car, the more crazy behavior I experience. Throttle response: as in pushing the pedal down when turning into traffic, turning across traffic or merging onto the expressway - and constantly having a 1-2 second delayed acceleration? Goofy tranny: as in push button delays, lunging in/out of park, lazy shifts, early shifts, late shifts and gear hunting? The other day, I hit the power button to start the car and it lunges forward a couple inches... /facepalm. WTF is wrong with this thing? I'm sure it's "operating within parameters" according to Acura.

I try focusing on the positives when I'm behind the wheel of my TLX, but that is really, really challenging with the whole cabin vibrating between 70 and 80mph. This car does a ton of things really well, which are the silver lining to driving what is otherwise a dumpster fire. My TSX was leaps and bounds better in every single aspect except technology. Heck, my Odyssey is a better driving experience than my TLX. It rides smoothly, shifts crisply, accelerates and brakes predictably and has been ultra reliable. I don't know a single person at the local Honda dealer by name. My Acura service advisor, on the other hand, he and I have been on a first name basis since about five visits ago. So there you go. A mainstream minivan is a more enjoyable vehicle to drive and own than a precision crafted performance/luxury sedan. I think Acura killed any chance of success for future sedans with this debacle of a 5G TLX. At least the V6 ZF9 SHAWD version. They proved they don't know what they are doing.

My level of resentment for Acura grows with each trip, day, week and month driving the TLX. Simultaneously, with each passing year, the financial impact of trading it in will become less severe. At some point, when those curves intersect and invert, I will move on to one of the superior sedan makers. BMW, Lexus, Audi, MB, etc. There is absolutely zero chance I will look at another Acura. I know for a fact there are dozens of others on this forum who feel the same way.

Last edited by someguy11; 05-17-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Christopher. (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
@someguy11 Did you call that Acura Care 1-800 number to tell them about the problems you're having? I had a complaint about a part taking too long and they found one at another dealer and had it shipped overnight. Your problems are more serious, but, they should still resolve them for you.

I nearly had my car hit (with my kids in it) because of the power delay you are talking about, so now I drive 100% of the time with Traction Control off and that problem is gone. I'm not sure what kind of safety I'm losing with Traction Control off, but I know that there is significant safety lost with it on - if I left it on, the day would come that I had to get out of the way after turning and the absolutely idiotic horrendous power delay would mean that I don't make it and get T-boned.

I have zero vibration problems and am happy to own a car with less maintenance problems and significantly lower maintenance costs than brands like BMW (drastically lower than Audi, Audi maintenance costs are basically insane for many owners).

I don't want to have to drive with T.C. always off, but, I'm not looking forward to trying to deal with Acura to get the issue resolved - however, were I not willing to turn T.C. off every time I get in my car, I absolutely would, and think I probably still should. If I were in your shoes, I would simply keep demanding resolution until I got it, or until they gave me a new car (lemon law).
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I really hope the infotainment system not as bad as the rdx. The reviews on Edmunds are so bad
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P
I really hope the infotainment system not as bad as the rdx. The reviews on Edmunds are so bad
The infotainment system will be the deal maker or breaker for me.

I spent 15 minutes with the RDX the other day, trying the infotainment and hoping to like it. While it's much better that the Lexus "mouse" or "trackpad" system, I decided that I will not get a car that has a pointer-style infotainment... I suspect Acura management have committed to this style infotainment, and will push it through the lineup. It's like they never used the infotainment while driving the car!
silverTL6 (06-02-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 AM
Greg

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
I suspect Acura management have committed to this style infotainment, and will push it through the lineup.
You can probably bet on it. If you feel this strongly, then I would suggest crossing Lexus and Acura off your list.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
And now even Audi is moving away from the dial and going touchscreen. The new 2020 A4 will be touchscreen. I really like the Audi system and got used to it after about a week or two. Touchscreens will basically be in all cars very soon. I think Mazda does it, but while driving you have to use the dial..which seems like a good compromise.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
And now even Audi is moving away from the dial and going touchscreen. The new 2020 A4 will be touchscreen. I really like the Audi system and got used to it after about a week or two. Touchscreens will basically be in all cars very soon. I think Mazda does it, but while driving you have to use the dial..which seems like a good compromise.
It doesn't need to be one or the other. Have a touch screen & the dial. Very seldom use the touch screen because I have to reach for it. BMW brought it forward in the new 2020 G series.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-21-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
My wife has RDX Advance and I don’t find the infotainment horrible, but does need some work. The Navi while an improvement they need to look at the quality of graphics even Hyundai is doing let alone Audi. The MID to me is a bigger disappointment, laggy, don’t understand the small to large motion as you scroll through and those stupid turbo and acceleration gauges (I turned them off). Acura really needs to outsource UI, maybe do like others and just go full Android OS and support Car Play and Android Auto.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
The infotainment system will be the deal maker or breaker for me.

I spent 15 minutes with the RDX the other day, trying the infotainment and hoping to like it. While it's much better that the Lexus "mouse" or "trackpad" system, I decided that I will not get a car that has a pointer-style infotainment... I suspect Acura management have committed to this style infotainment, and will push it through the lineup. It's like they never used the infotainment while driving the car!
You can probably bet on it. If you feel this strongly, then I would suggest crossing Lexus and Acura off your list.
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
It doesn't need to be one or the other. Have a touch screen & the dial. Very seldom use the touch screen because I have to reach for it. BMW brought it forward in the new 2020 G series.
Originally Posted by KeithL
My wife has RDX Advance and I don’t find the infotainment horrible, but does need some work. The Navi while an improvement they need to look at the quality of graphics even Hyundai is doing let alone Audi. The MID to me is a bigger disappointment, laggy, don’t understand the small to large motion as you scroll through and those stupid turbo and acceleration gauges (I turned them off). Acura really needs to outsource UI, maybe do like others and just go full Android OS and support Car Play and Android Auto.
I am with you all on this, infotainment lately has been the big deal breaker for me. What is your ideal type? My coworker just got a new RDX and while I did not try the touch pad yet I watched her use it and it just seemed so awkward to me with the positioning, etc. I find touchscreens to be a little annoying too (especially in cold weather) but a screen and a wheel would be a decent compromise.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I am with you all on this, infotainment lately has been the big deal breaker for me. What is your ideal type? My coworker just got a new RDX and while I did not try the touch pad yet I watched her use it and it just seemed so awkward to me with the positioning, etc. I find touchscreens to be a little annoying too (especially in cold weather) but a screen and a wheel would be a decent compromise.
I like what Audi has been doing and would love to try the new A4 or A6 with Virtual cockpit. I also like the Genesis system, it have not spent enough time to know of that opinion would hold up with real use. I actually dig the touchpad and the positional accuracy. I don’t like the UI, the Navi graphics still suck one thing they all suck at is with the short super wide screens the navis all suck with seeing the view ahead. I find with screens in the upper part of the dash the aspect ratio provides for a taller screen and thus the what’s ahead view is better.
ESHBG (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I played with the MBUX system in the new Mercedes GLE. It was probably the best I've seen. It has a touchscreen, a track pad in the center stack where your hand typically rests and touch sensitive buttons on the wheel to give you a choice in how you want to control everything. It was fast and responsive. The best thing Acura could do is copy it. I'm sure when the new MDX and probably TLX as well come out, they will include a full digital screen in the gauge cluster.

Here is the cockpit demo video from 2+ years ago and you can see how they incorporated some of it into the RDX.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
I played with the MBUX system in the new Mercedes GLE. It was probably the best I've seen. It has a touchscreen, a track pad in the center stack where your hand typically rests and touch sensitive buttons on the wheel to give you a choice in how you want to control everything. It was fast and responsive. The best thing Acura could do is copy it. I'm sure when the new MDX and probably TLX as well come out, they will include a full digital screen in the gauge cluster.

Here is the cockpit demo video from 2+ years ago and you can see how they incorporated some of it into the RDX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmUE4YKPxUo

I think the next generation MDX and TLX will have RDX 2.0 infotainment system. May be not as advanced as this video but a step closer

August will be a huge month for Acura fans.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
What happens in August?
Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Saw a Tlx today with a type s badge. I said to the gf thats not a type s and she's like yes it is. I said no its not cause theres no such thing.😂 I was tempted to get the guy to roll down his window and tell him my cars a type s and yours is not, lol.
Curious3GTL (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by PredatorWH
Saw a Tlx today with a type s badge. I said to the gf thats not a type s and she's like yes it is. I said no its not cause theres no such thing.😂 I was tempted to get the guy to roll down his window and tell him my cars a type s and yours is not, lol.
that's like my dad with his AMG badge on his Benz C series, hahahaha.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
What happens in August?
Acura promised that they will reveal their new sedan at Pebble beach.

I am not sure if it will be next generation TLX or RLX. But regardless of the model, I am sure we will find some cool features.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Acura promised that they will reveal their new sedan at Pebble beach.

I am not sure if it will be next generation TLX or RLX. But regardless of the model, I am sure we will find some cool features.
Maybe a new Legend.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by centflatsx
Maybe a new Legend.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/24/...end-trademark/
Old 05-27-2019, 05:17 AM
Greg

I'm not sure about the name 'Legend'. I think I prefer the usual alpha or alpha numeric convention. No other premium manufacturer other than maybe Bentley, Rolls, Range Rover, etc. uses names. Porsche does both, but 911 is a brand. All of their new vehicles are names. Perhaps what really bothers me is mixed naming conventions. Legend and MDX is an odd mix, and they can't change MDX. It's the most recognizable model name in the lineup with 19 years of identity. One other options would be to use Legend in Europe, and 'X'LX in the states.

If this is an RLX replacement, they better kill it or it will be DOA.

I'm also anxious to see how 'production-ready' they mean. Will it be a 2020 RLX in the fall or a 2021 TLX early next year? Guess we will know a lot more in less than 90 days.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Honda hates us
Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
....or what about two screens, one touch that's close and the other one further away and knob controlled, so that you are not trying to use one screen for all functions......or wait, that's been done and panned by those who like the one screen glued on the top of the dash like an afterthought, kinda like how the Germans started it
Old 06-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

I don’t understand why the TLX infotainment is so universally criticized. I guess I lack exposure to others systems to compare. It sometimes changes menus or responds to input really slowly, which is my only complaint. I think the dual screen concept it a good one. The upper monitor typically stays on GPS/mapping for me, but I also use it for audio and phone info. The lower system control IO interface is a pretty ingenious way to call up menus of hotkeys or a keyboard on demand. I think if any maker had found the silver bullet to infotainment, all others would already be copying it. But so many exist because no system is perfect. I love the one in my TLX. My two cents.
The following 4 users liked this post by someguy11:
a35tl (06-02-2019), mapleloaf (06-03-2019), Speed_Racer (06-02-2019), TLXinTX (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced

it's not so much the 2 screens but that Acura hasn't done much to improve the screen resolution or the UI. it got better for 2018+ but the navi graphics and menu are still dated. in 2012, BMWs wider screen has probably double the resolution of the TLX's screen.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Yes the navigation is not too good. Thankfully Android Auto helps with Google Maps and Navigation. The dual screens are no issue. If they made the top touchscreen that would have made it better but it's not bad without the need to wipe off fingerprints. No issues with the bottom screen speed. Though as mentioned the resolution could be a little better. The spacing and information in the source area is a little bland if you were to nit pick.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Instructor

I really want improvement of the dashboard. I want a heads up display and a digital speedometer personally
Old 06-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Instructor

They need to add HUD, ventilated seats, and remote start as standard items for at least the base models. Other mfgs, especially the Korean brands Kia and Hyundai are doing this. Though those are not premium brands and quality and longevity can still be questionable for the KIA and Hyundai, we are even seeing premium features trickling down to the Nissan Maxima and Altima. Those brands need to so they get buyers who may be doubtful to check them out for the Korean brands Well some buyers are doing so like going with the Genesis models. BMW and Mercedes are in a different league with their package offerings and pricings. Acura is more on line with the higher trim levels of the non luxury brands when it comes to packaged items.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Honda hates us.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Instructor

They also need to add USB type C. They only have one USB port now which is not impressive. There should be 3-4 ports on every new car.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
So I guess Acura is change the DRL on the current MDX, TLX, and NSX
Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
It looks considerably larger than the current TLX. I really hope Acura nails this one! I'm rooting for them.
The length overall is about the same as the current TLX. The wheelbase has been stretched to Accord levels even though the 2 are no longer related. It’ll be lower and wider.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
So I guess Acura is change the DRL on the current MDX, TLX, and NSX
It looks like they’ve changed it up and separated the DRL from the actual headlights.
WTF.Acura (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Pebble Beach.....from what I’m hearing will debut an upgraded NSX, a unnamed sedan (possibly the next Legend) and the TLX.....that’s the rumor.
WTF.Acura (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL
It looks like they’ve changed it up and separated the DRL from the actual headlights.
I like it better with the DRL in the jewel because on some Honda product (9th gen refresh accord) the led stripes partially work on some cars
Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 PM
Instructor

I got the video from Facebook but it look like most of the design maybe done that why they have on the loose covering to not show body lines and etc
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...e-message&_rdr
Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
I like it better with the DRL in the jewel because on some Honda product (9th gen refresh accord) the led stripes partially work on some cars
Nice find. Agreed about the jewel. I love everything about my headlights. I know they’re expensive to replace, but they work great and I haven’t read about many issues. On the other hand, I’ve seen those Accords you mentioned all over the place, either part of an LED strip not working or one of the two LEDs off entirely. It looks really bad. I don’t know what the fix costs of if the owners even know it’s out. You don’t see your own DRLs.

Quick Reply: Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?