AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021? (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/any-doubts-2nd-gen-tlx-2020-err-make-2021-a-976429/)

jhb31 01-14-2019 09:54 PM

Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?

Starting to think that if anything Acura does a Type S with the current Gen TLX rather than a total redesign if anything at all for 2020. Every spy photo is clearly of a higher performance tlx with butchered up body of the current gen TLX. I want the next Gen to come out but maybe they are gonna hang with what they have.

ausername 01-14-2019 11:04 PM

From what my salesman told me, the upcoming TLX would be new generation with redesigned interior and many other updates. the engine will be a 3.0T. As for Type-S, it will be a two door coupe with a 3.0TT(350~400 hp), and also, controllable ambient lights, flat bottom steering wheel, quad exhaust, etc... I can’t say he is 100% correct, but i guess thats pretty much it.

Speed_Racer 01-14-2019 11:38 PM

Honda/Acura isn't even on the NAIAS press release schedule so I'm beginning to think nothing is going to be revealed on the Detroit auto show. Maybe New York show like the 2018?

As far as a Type S coupe, I believe that when I see it. I highly doubt that's upcoming anytime soon. The other specs fall in line to what we're expecting the TLX Type S to be in sedan form.

Midnight Mystery 01-15-2019 12:57 AM

Didn't even know a coupe was in the realm of possibility!

TSXV6Guy 01-15-2019 05:14 AM

They cannot afford not to release a redesigned 2020 model if they want Acura to remain on the map. The current TLX alienated the most loyal customers and they need to try winning them back.

I think the new gen development is late: based on the spy shots, they're still developing the powertrain (the mule appears to be a current gen TLX with the new powertrain). I am guessing that they are, in parallel, developing the exterior / interior. I am also guessing that, once the new model will be ready, they will have to test the entire car (new powertrain and chassis) to fine tune the dynamics and the handling (including *cough* vibrations). So maybe a prototype in the summer and a release late fall/ early winter?

Midnight Mystery 01-15-2019 05:17 AM

Hopefully, that means they're taking their time, and doing it right! :wish:

someguy11 01-15-2019 10:23 AM

The salesguy who ausername talked to literally made me laugh out loud. I'm guessing he's trying to keep enthusiasts and potential buyers intrigued with smoke and mirrors. A 3.0T and 3.0TT Type-S goes against everything Honda has ever done. They would have to reach directly into their racing pedigree just to find something like that. While we do see technology trickle down to us from Honda racing, Honda has never delivered anything like that or hyper-performance for mainstream road use (please don't cite the NSX). The past is a good predictor of the future. The J35 is Honda's bread and butter: a versatile, reliable, smooth workhorse whether for power or speed (although VCM stands to potentially wreck all of those). It's any of our best guesses to say what will appear next. J35 is a safe bet. Maybe an I4 option too, whether the K24 or the new turbo L15 or K20 from the Accord. Perhaps a derivative of the Type R 300hp 2.0T is possible, but that is more than the typical daily TLX driver wants yet falls short for the TLX driver craving ultra high performance. Threads like these are fun speculation and good discussion, especially when a knowledgeable member accurately predicts the future or guesses something correctly, but that salesman is either ignorant or lying.

I think TSXV6GUY is right on the money. I think Acura is too late for a redesign, which take time. The MMR looks good, A-spec is a hit (at least appearance-wise), and TLXs are still selling pretty well to the tune of 47k in 15, 37k in 16, 34k in 17, 30k in 18. That dropoff was probably due to several specific first-model design issues. For me, a redesign to Acura is about addressing the issues with the current model, not necessarily improving performance. Super acceleration and precise handling are both good, but most people don't want that. We want a balance of performance, reliability and efficiency. My gosh Acura, get basics like a decent transmission and no vibrations on the highway right this time. Try to made good on the "it's that kind of thrill" mark you completely missed last time. I promise, if there is a ZF9 in the next TLX, it will be DOA.

Midnight Mystery 01-15-2019 12:07 PM

I feel like the TLX has come a long way since it first hit the lots back in 2014.

ausername 01-15-2019 12:37 PM

Well, I own a ‘19 RDX which I bought it just a few months ago, I wouldn't consider myself as a potential buyer for ‘20 TLX. plus, I’ve known this guy for years. TLX certainly needs to be redesigned in many ways, but like I said before, he wan not 100% correct. we shall see what’s gonna happen

TheMuffinMan 01-15-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ausername (Post 16365449)
From what my salesman told me, the upcoming TLX would be new generation with redesigned interior and many other updates. the engine will be a 3.0T. As for Type-S, it will be a two door coupe with a 3.0TT(350~400 hp), and also, controllable ambient lights, flat bottom steering wheel, quad exhaust, etc... I can’t say he is 100% correct, but i guess thats pretty much it.

Your salesman does not have any more knowledge than anyone else at this point and has zero idea what he's talking about.

*edit* To add, you're ridiculously gullible if you believe anything he said.

fiatlux 01-15-2019 04:08 PM

My salesman told me that the TLX will be offered as a wagon and convertible for the 2020MY.

F23A4 01-15-2019 04:12 PM

I’m inclined towards someguy11’s sentiment. I don’t think we should expect any new benchmark to be set by this brand rather, slightly higher performance version of what see now. That said, we’ll probably need to wait until the NYIAS before we see anything concrete.

All said, I’m keeping my expectations low!

dmski 01-15-2019 07:37 PM

Interior is done, just look at the new RDX it ain't going to be much different. They will probably just tweak the exterior. Aspec is a good looking car if they improve on that the car will look good. Most likely they will increase the size as well a d we all know turbo motor is coming.

Midnight Mystery 01-15-2019 07:44 PM

Tweaking the exterior is the new thing. Look at the body lines on the 8G to 9G Accord. Or look at an Optima or Sonata 2011 to 2019, it evolved, was never really redesigned.

In fact, GM changed platforms for the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave but they barely look different aside form front cap and rear lights.

jhb31 01-15-2019 08:40 PM

The sales manager at my local dealer who goes to the corporate meetings told me a few months back that he had heard zero for a 2020 release and 2021 model year was most likely (actually released in early to mid 2020 as a 2021 model. He correctly told me way back that every model was going to have a type-S variant and many months maybe closer to a year later Acura confirmed that to be the case. I posted that in a thread way back. I haven't spoken with him in a number of months but will did say he would let me know if he hears anything different. The NY auto show is just 3 months away and it's odd to not hear anything official but some pics of a cut up 1st gen TLX.

I believe the RDX debuted at the detroit auto show in 2018 so with nothing coming out of Acura and the NY show not far off it seems likely they stay with the current gen TLX for another 12+ months at least. I agree with some other posters that the RDX body wise was not much of a redesign but SUV's in general seem to evolve slowly and Acura suvs sell well in general so I don't think they bother with any extreme changes other than to make it a little sportier looking. Seems with the TL/TLX when a new model came out there were always much more significant exterior styling changes than the RDX/MDX models (not always for the best). I do recall Ikeda saying that the chassis and power train are designed together and that was given for the reason they couldn't just drop a better trans in the current TLX but maybe that was just a bunch of bull.

BGR 01-16-2019 09:41 AM

The Type S will debut at the NY Auto Show and the regular model at a minimum going on sale a few months after. I'm not sure when the Type-S will go on sale or if it'll be at the same time the 2.0T starts sales.

It will have the 48V mild hybrid, 6 piston brembo brakes, all-new i-VTEC system, dual variable timing system and Type-S specific seats of what I know thus far.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/20...cedes-porsche/

Speed_Racer 01-16-2019 12:29 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if the Type S will be based on the current model after all. Like what they did with the 2004-2008 TL and the Type S coming out the 2nd to last year of that generation. I don't know how hard it is to get pics of camouflaged development cars, but there hasn't been one picture of any 2020/2021 prototypes. All we've seen is the ones with the "mules" driving around with the C43 and S4 they were trying to benchmark. With NY only 3 months away, you'd think there would be something spied on the road by now besides the mules we've seen based on the current gen.

ZipSpeed 01-16-2019 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16366524)
I'm beginning to wonder if the Type S will be based on the current model after all. Like what they did with the 2004-2008 TL and the Type S coming out the 2nd to last year of that generation. I don't know how hard it is to get pics of camouflaged development cars, but there hasn't been one picture of any 2020/2021 prototypes. All we've seen is the ones with the "mules" driving around with the C43 and S4 they were trying to benchmark. With NY only 3 months away, you'd think there would be something spied on the road by now besides the mules we've seen based on the current gen.

Good points. The ILX received a second MMC, so it's not inconceivable that the TLX may get another refresh. From a cost perspective, it would make sense to reuse as much as possible. Toss out the J35 and ZF9, and pop in the 3.0T, 10AT and 3rd gen SH-AWD. And solve the highway vibration issue permanently!!! Engineering resources are finite, especially a company the size of Acura. If anything, it would make more sense for Acura to update their crossovers first considering how many they sell relative to their sedans. The guys on the MDX forum is claiming a new 4G model coming sooner than later, and maybe reusing the existing TLX is Acura's way of launching two vehicles in a short period of time.

dmski 01-16-2019 07:07 PM

Exterior is not bad but the interior is dated as hell. That's the one thing that bugs me the most after the transmission. Lol No way they can push for another 2 years with this interior. The car will be all new. Launching Type S on the old platform will get them killed by the press. This car needs positive press right off the bat like RDX got or it will be DOA. Look at the praise Genesis got with the new G70. Car checks all the boxes.

MSZ 01-16-2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16365669)
The salesguy who ausername talked to literally made me laugh out loud. I'm guessing he's trying to keep enthusiasts and potential buyers intrigued with smoke and mirrors. A 3.0T and 3.0TT Type-S goes against everything Honda has ever done. They would have to reach directly into their racing pedigree just to find something like that. While we do see technology trickle down to us from Honda racing, Honda has never delivered anything like that or hyper-performance for mainstream road use (please don't cite the NSX). The past is a good predictor of the future. The J35 is Honda's bread and butter: a versatile, reliable, smooth workhorse whether for power or speed (although VCM stands to potentially wreck all of those). It's any of our best guesses to say what will appear next. J35 is a safe bet. Maybe an I4 option too, whether the K24 or the new turbo L15 or K20 from the Accord. Perhaps a derivative of the Type R 300hp 2.0T is possible, but that is more than the typical daily TLX driver wants yet falls short for the TLX driver craving ultra high performance. Threads like these are fun speculation and good discussion, especially when a knowledgeable member accurately predicts the future or guesses something correctly, but that salesman is either ignorant or lying.

I think TSXV6GUY is right on the money. I think Acura is too late for a redesign, which take time. The MMR looks good, A-spec is a hit (at least appearance-wise), and TLXs are still selling pretty well to the tune of 47k in 15, 37k in 16, 34k in 17, 30k in 18. That dropoff was probably due to several specific first-model design issues. For me, a redesign to Acura is about addressing the issues with the current model, not necessarily improving performance. Super acceleration and precise handling are both good, but most people don't want that. We want a balance of performance, reliability and efficiency. My gosh Acura, get basics like a decent transmission and no vibrations on the highway right this time. Try to made good on the "it's that kind of thrill" mark you completely missed last time. I promise, if there is a ZF9 in the next TLX, it will be DOA.

3.0T is indeed coming, they officially announced it at one of the autoshows last year. You won't see J35 on any sedans from now on.

jhb31 01-16-2019 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by BGR (Post 16366377)
The Type S will debut at the NY Auto Show and the regular model at a minimum going on sale a few months after. I'm not sure when the Type-S will go on sale or if it'll be at the same time the 2.0T starts sales.

It will have the 48V mild hybrid, 6 piston brembo brakes, all-new i-VTEC system, dual variable timing system and Type-S specific seats of what I know thus far.

Source on this? Who in their right mind want a hybrid Type-S. Not a daily driver if done right. Price would be too high for a low volume car to begin with. Hope that is not the case.

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16366524)

Exactly, maybe a type S in the current Gen TLX and they run one or two more years on the current platform. The "mules" are cut up current gen TLX's. Hope not but seems likely. The last Type S was well after the model re-design.

Originally Posted by dmski (Post 16366765)
Exterior is not bad but the interior is dated as hell. That's the one thing that bugs me the most after the transmission. Lol No way they can push for another 2 years with this interior. The car will be all new. Launching Type S on the old platform will get them killed by the press. This car needs positive press right off the bat like RDX got or it will be DOA. Look at the praise Genesis got with the new G70. Car checks all the boxes.

The interior in IMO is ok. Much better than an Audi in the same price range. The new RDX is not a huge departure from the prior model outside of the A-Spec trim on the RDX. It would not be great if the next Gen TLX keeps the same body and just does RLX interior upgrades and powertrain changes. It needs to be a new model both exterior and performance wise. Otherwise what is the attraction to upgrade?

Christopher. 01-16-2019 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by jhb31 (Post 16365434)
Starting to think that if anything Acura does a Type S with the current Gen TLX rather than a total redesign if anything at all for 2020. Every spy photo is clearly of a higher performance tlx with butchered up body of the current gen TLX. I want the next Gen to come out but maybe they are gonna hang with what they have.

I'm perfectly happy if the exterior stays the same with just some added fender flair! It's a beautiful car - not as sexy as a "super car", but for what it is, I'm happy.
I'd be 1,000 times happier with improved suspension (such as active dampers and adjustable ride height) than cosmetic changes.

EDIT: I just hope there is at least some flavor of new TLX or ILX with a turbo engine (even if it's a 2.0T) without a price increase because being able to put a new "tune" on it without having to invest thousands $$$ more would be wonderful and fun.

Christopher. 01-16-2019 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BGR (Post 16366377)

Sport suspension? Please?

MSZ 01-16-2019 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by jhb31 (Post 16366798)
Source on this? Who in their right mind want a hybrid Type-S. Not a daily driver if done right. Price would be too high for a low volume car to begin with. Hope that is not the case.

48V is not a hybird in traditional sense. Many of the Audi and Mercedes models have 48V standard along side of their 6 cylinder engines.

Midnight Mystery 01-16-2019 09:55 PM

Hybrid TypeS? :what:

ZipSpeed 01-16-2019 11:24 PM

Would a mild hybrid help eliminate turbo lag? As the turbo builds up boost when you punch the throttle, the electric motor assists the ICE to get the vehicle moving. Applied correctly, the perception of turbo lag should be all but gone?

Speed_Racer 01-17-2019 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed (Post 16366859)
Would a mild hybrid help eliminate turbo lag? As the turbo builds up boost when you punch the throttle, the electric motor assists the ICE to get the vehicle moving. Applied correctly, the perception of turbo lag should be all but gone?

Yeah, it should. It would be more of a NSX type hybrid vs a Prius type hybrid. Would be amazing if they could do the electric motor assist and all the other goodies for under $50k.

Speed_Racer 01-17-2019 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by MSZ (Post 16366795)
3.0T is indeed coming, they officially announced it at one of the autoshows last year. You won't see J35 on any sedans from now on.

Yep. J35 is dead.

Midnight Mystery 01-17-2019 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by speed_racer (Post 16366874)
yep. J35 is dead.

rlx?

Midnight Mystery 01-17-2019 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16366872)
Yeah, it should. It would be more of a NSX type hybrid vs a Prius type hybrid. Would be amazing if they could do the electric motor assist and all the other goodies for under $50k.

Oh. That's OK then.

Speed_Racer 01-17-2019 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16366877)
rlx?

Good point. I think that will be the last model to have it in this configuration but as usual it seems a little backwards that the flagship get's the newest engine last. For the TLX, it looks like the 2.0T for regular specs and 3.0T for Type S specs as they discussed at the 2018 NYAS. You'd think the next progression would be a 3.5T for the RLX with over 350hp at least.

Midnight Mystery 01-17-2019 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16366884)
Good point. I think that will be the last model to have it in this configuration but as usual it seems a little backwards that the flagship get's the newest engine last. For the TLX, it looks like the 2.0T for regular specs and 3.0T for Type S specs as they discussed at the 2018 NYAS. You'd think the next progression would be a 3.5T for the RLX with over 350hp at least.

Will the 3.0T/3.5T be a J30T/J35T, or a new 3.0 3.5 block design?

TSXV6Guy 01-17-2019 04:55 AM

If I were Acura, I would furiously work on a hybrid TLX (and RDX and MDX) using the excellent 3-motor hybrid SH-AWD system. Toyota is heavily hybridizing their fleet - Even talking about an AWD Corolla and Prius using a rear electric drive - So Acura needs to jump on that bandwagon, and fast! While the RLX is the flagship, it's (IMHO) DOA. I still can't believe they sold 2000 units in 2018.

Midnight Mystery 01-17-2019 12:50 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not into the idea of a hybrid. Do these *sport* hybrids have the start/stop electric engines like a Prius, or is it a full time gas engine with electric wheels too? What if the wheel motors fail, wouldn't that be expen$ive to replace?

jhb31 01-17-2019 06:32 PM

Sales manager at my dealership called me today. Said the Type S release date he has been told is Nov 2020 as a 2021 model year. So another 1.5+ years.

mapleloaf 01-20-2019 07:26 AM

From what I have read here and on the net from various car sites, it seems possible that Acura will introduce a Type S for the 2020 model year that will be a refresh with increased HP, wider tires, tauter suspension and handling, etc. That might include the RDX style cabin as well either a retune of the existing engine or a re-tune of the 2.0 Turbo in the RDX to get over 300 ponies. If memory serves, the 4th Gen TL SH-AWD had a bump of about 20 HP with a 3.7 engine over the base FWD 3.5 model, so perhaps we will see something like that, leading in of course to a 3.0 turbo Type S for the 2021 model year.

Tony Pac 01-20-2019 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jhb31 (Post 16367401)
Sales manager at my dealership called me today. Said the Type S release date he has been told is Nov 2020 as a 2021 model year. So another 1.5+ years.

Honestly, I am 90% sure your sales rep is lying. Dealers don’t know anything. I promise you people know here more than them.
My rep once told me, dealers are the last to know and don’t believe anyone lol!

BEAR-AvHistory 01-20-2019 07:20 PM

Think it will be a 2020 release unveiled sometime this year. With sales in a down curve can't see any logical reason to hold it up unless the run into production issues.

Tony Pac 01-20-2019 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory (Post 16368653)
Think it will be a 2020 release unveiled sometime this year. With sales in a down curve can't see any logical reason to hold it up unless the run into production issues.

100% agreed!

I was at Montreal Auto Show today. RDX standsout
and the rest of Acura looks dated. They need to reveal the new TLX and MDX asap!

Midnight Mystery 01-20-2019 07:53 PM

I'm I the only person who takes a few years to wark up to a new design. I usually think a lot of new cars are ugly for the first 2-3 years.