Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?

Old 01-29-2019, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I don’t think there will be a hybrid TLX.

If the Type-S is delayed more than 6 months then they need 2 different I4 Turbos, one with say 250HP and another in ASPEC with 300 then do Type-S at 340-360. I don’t think they will do this and if the Type-S is 2 years later it conflicts with MMC release and a 2020 date just hurts the first 18 months of sales. The mule has been on the road, so unless they need far more testing and have likely been developing it for over 2 years then why wait?
There will be a FWD TLX 2.0t hybrid but it wont be available until the refresh.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmski
Seriously doubt that they would end production of TLX in March with a possible summer/fall release. We would see pretty much finished mules running around with camo. Unless, the next Gen will only be tweaked on the outside with major changes in power train and interior. If you look at the all new RDX and compare it to the refreshed TLX on the outside it is not that drastically different.
I work in vehicle production (not Honda/Acura) and we start building new models months before they actual on sale dates so we can get the volume to the dealer networks. Also, this change will take some retooling on the production side as its an all new vehicle.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Yes, everyone knows that. KeithL just brought up an option that Acura could go with in the event the Type-S is delayed, or won't appear anytime soon. And maybe Acura should give the A-Spec a small boost in drivetrain performance to go with the looks.
That wont happen. The base TLX 2.0t should be identical in regards to power to the RDX. The TLX is moving up in its segment. The current TLX 2.4 competes with the BMW 320i and the TLX V6 competes with the 330i. The next gen TLX 2.0t will compete with the 330i and the TLX-S 3.0t will compete with the M340i. We will see the pricing structure push upward a bit in regards to base price and more so on the top end but it’ll still be much less expensive vs the comparably equipped Europeans by a good amount. Acura will still hold a solid value equation.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
On SUV Acura does compete with BMW (mid pack X5 and MDX, feasible comparison), on sport sedans it does not.

Dodge is selling 50 grand Chargers all the time (Charger did +20% in 2018 vs. 2017, despite the sedan crisis and FCA cut to fleet sales), Kia is doing fine with the Stinger, I see a lot of them on the road, including the GT.

Not many people spent that kind of coin on an Audi 15 years ago, now they do

Right content at the right price does sell.

The bulk of Charger sales are the V6 models and those are heavily discounted. Also that’s a totally different market vs a TLX. Apples to oranges.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondu
Even better news yet. I forgot about the previous rumors on the DWB suspension, which the RDX does not have.
DWB’s......I can confirm that. The only thing I see that’s close to the Accord platform is the wheelbase, other than that, its all Acura exclusive stuff.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL

The bulk of Charger sales are the V6 models and those are heavily discounted. Also that’s a totally different market vs a TLX. Apples to oranges.

I see quite a lot of Daytona, Scat Packs and even Hellcats around....I would say is almost easier to these and RTs than V6s in my neck of the wood.

Up to Sept 2018 FCA made 12K Scat Pack and Daytonas for the year. In 2017 FCA made a total of 25K between Hellcat, SRT 392, Daytona, Scat Pack and RT, over a total Charger sales of 68K for that year.

They are not as rare as you may think.

The right product at the right price does sale.

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 01-29-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
Hmmm a lot of new info here. For Type S are we looking at 400hp or 350. I sure hope that it's around 400 since Acura is always behind the curve. Look at Hyundai, if they can do a compelling car G70, I don't want to see the new Type S to be slower or less capable with all new platform. That's a FAIL in my books.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just hoping that the transmission is good one. The current TLX is a nice car, the transmission just keeps me away from buying one. As for power, having a 2006 TL, just give me something decent. And please come out with something this year, another year and i might have to go to another brand.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Navy TL
I'm just hoping that the transmission is good one. The current TLX is a nice car, the transmission just keeps me away from buying one. As for power, having a 2006 TL, just give me something decent. And please come out with something this year, another year and i might have to go to another brand.
The next gen will be a serious upgrade on all fronts vs the current car. The 2.0t base will appear first. The Type-S should appear within a year after the base.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Hmmm a lot of new info here. For Type S are we looking at 400hp or 350. I sure hope that it's around 400 since Acura is always behind the curve. Look at Hyundai, if they can do a compelling car G70, I don't want to see the new Type S to be slower or less capable with all new platform. That's a FAIL in my books.
I’m thinking the G70 will actually drive better simply due to it being a more balanced RWD platform. However, the Type-S wont we a slouch. It too will have a nice combination of performance, value, features etc etc. In regards to power, I’m thinking it’ll be around 370-375hp.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Instructor

I see quite a lot of Daytona, Scat Packs and even Hellcats around....I would say is almost easier to these and RTs than V6s in my neck of the wood.

Up to Sept 2018 FCA made 12K Scat Pack and Daytonas for the year. In 2017 FCA made a total of 25K between Hellcat, SRT 392, Daytona, Scat Pack and RT, over a total Charger sales of 68K for that year.

They are not as rare as you may think.

The right product at the right price does sale.
I never said they don’t sell but the base models always outsell the higher end trims by quite a bit. The base models pay for the higher end models as they’re by far the leader in sales volume.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I see no links for all of these dates and years people are throwing out there
Old 01-29-2019, 10:33 PM
Racer

I never said they don’t sell but the base models always outsell the higher end trims by quite a bit. The base models pay for the higher end models as they’re by far the leader in sales volume.

Bu that it's true with any car.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:36 AM
Pro

Launching an all new platform with a base 2.0T FWD is a major no no. This new generation needs all positive reviews from the start. Acura never learns. By the time Type S comes out no one will care if the base car gets slammed by the press. SMH
Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Launching an all new platform with a base 2.0T FWD is a major no no. This new generation needs all positive reviews from the start. Acura never learns. By the time Type S comes out no one will care if the base car gets slammed by the press. SMH
All the major players in the segment Acura wants to be in are launching/ have launched new cars in 2019/2020 time frame. Agree a 2.0T only will get lost in the noise.

10 years after loosing 50% of its sedan customers in one year & overall flat sales since then the last thing Acura need is another loser in sedan sales.
TLX:
2015 - 47,080
2016 - 37,156
2017 - 34,846
2018 - 30,468
Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Why do you think the 2.0T won't get positive reviews? The 2.0T in the RDX received great reviews and the 2.0T in the Accord also received very good reviews.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Pro

RDX never really suffered from a sales decline. TLX is way down. They need good press and reviews. You seriously think launching an all new platform with a base fwd model is a good idea and oh BTW Type S is coming in a year or two.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Pro

RDX never really suffered from a sales decline. TLX is way down. They need good press and reviews. You seriously think launching an all new platform with a base fwd model is a good idea and oh BTW Type S is coming in a year or two.
So you think the problem is having a FWD model? Audi launched an all new A4 with a base FWD model and it seemed to do just fine.

Also, just because there is a base FWD model, doesn't mean Acura will supply the press with one to test drive. I believe they only gave the press an AWD RDX for reviews.

Mercedes gave the press a FWD and AWD A220 and several reviews commented that the FWD was better in several aspects than the AWD.

I don't think having a FWD model will determine whether the new model is a success or not. How it drives/handles, quality of the interior, electronics, price/value will determine its success.

Also the Type S should be Q1 2020.

Last edited by hondu; 01-30-2019 at 11:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondu:
a35tl (01-30-2019), mapleloaf (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Acura's not coming out with a RWD TLX. I'm pretty sure the automotive press understands that. If they come out with a 2.0T with decent performance numbers the press will be fine with it as long as it has modern tech and a luxury-like feel to it and it sits in the right price range. See the RDX as an example.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Think its an image thing. Right now Acura does not really have one. They make an excellent car for a good price that I believe nobody really looks at. There is no reason even in a smaller then ever sedan market that they are not seeing 50,000+ cars a year. The look is right, the package is right & the price is right.

Also don't think its purely a 4 cylinder thing, its not having a performance 6 cylinder thing image enhancer. The Germans live on turbo 4 to make their CAFE numbers & move a lot of cars for a lower price then the 6 cylinder turbo. The Germans also make $100,000 luxury cars which does not hurt the image thing at all.

People are brand aware & "know" the Germans makes are performance cars because the 6T's actually are & are all that get talked about. Even people buying 4's are under that umbrella many taking the emblems off for a "cleaner" look.

Think about this they sold 14,000 more 5 series cars then Acura sold TLX. Some of those cars were 4T for $70,000 & a stripper 4T is $56,000. All that gets talked about in the press is the 2.8 second to 60 M5. Image!!

Old 01-30-2019, 02:04 PM
Pro

Acura needs to separate itself from Honda + and seriously is anyone buying their Precision Crafted Performance slogan. Forget the fwd offering or don't even bring it to the launch. Everyone that sees the 2.0T fwd will label this as a dressed up Accord. Launch with your best offering even if you have to delay the launch.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Pro

Acura needs to separate itself from Honda + and seriously is anyone buying their Precision Crafted Performance slogan. Forget the fwd offering or don't even bring it to the launch. Everyone that sees the 2.0T fwd will label this as a dressed up Accord. Launch with your best offering even if you have to delay the launch.
I imagine the press will receive a 2.0T, SH-AWD model (that will have a DWB suspension) and RDX interior (maybe even nicer), such that there will be very little connection between the TLX and the Accord.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:46 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Bear, I think there is a lot of accuracy in your point. I don't really know my Euros anymore, but pitting a TLX against a 3/C/A4 or an RLX against a 5/E/A6 is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Just typing that makes me chuckle. Acura is so far outmatched by those cars that I'm surprised magazines even compare them together. It's a fully loaded, somewhat upgraded Honda against three manufacturers who build dynamic, luxurious driving machines with premium craftsmanship and impeccable characteristics.

Case in point? Acura doesn't even make a competitor for the 7/S/A8. They know better than to waltz into that dance. But, as sad as Acura may be, Lexus is really impressive. Their IS and GS are hanging tough in the ring with the Euros. At least Lexus makes a flagship - the LS - for the true luxury market. While we talk about a carryover 2.0T from the Accord, the Germans and Lexus are busy driving circles around Acura.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
I imagine the press will receive a 2.0T, SH-AWD model (that will have a DWB suspension) and RDX interior (maybe even nicer), such that there will be very little connection between the TLX and the Accord.
Exactly. A nicely tuned 2.0T with SH-AWD will be differentiator, along with a completely different interior than the current Accord.

Acura isn't trying to compete with RWD European cars - it's just not the space they play in.
mapleloaf (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by someguy11
Bear, I think there is a lot of accuracy in your point. I don't really know my Euros anymore, but pitting a TLX against a 3/C/A4 or an RLX against a 5/E/A6 is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Just typing that makes me chuckle. Acura is so far outmatched by those cars that I'm surprised magazines even compare them together. It's a fully loaded, somewhat upgraded Honda against three manufacturers who build dynamic, luxurious driving machines with premium craftsmanship and impeccable characteristics.

Case in point? Acura doesn't even make a competitor for the 7/S/A8. They know better than to waltz into that dance. But, as sad as Acura may be, Lexus is really impressive. Their IS and GS are hanging tough in the ring with the Euros. At least Lexus makes a flagship - the LS - for the true luxury market. While we talk about a carryover 2.0T from the Accord, the Germans and Lexus are busy driving circles around Acura.
You had goid points until IS and GS. Both are struggling in sales, especially IS it's behind TLX, would not call that a success, it's cramped and under powered, however, I'm sure the next Gen in the works will bring it. That's why its so important for Acura to make a splash for once like they did with 3G. Yes, the car was fwd but the interior and performance were on par with 3 series. It was a serious contender. Current TLX is not even in the same league.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think its an image thing. Right now Acura does not really have one. They make an excellent car for a good price that I believe nobody really looks at. There is no reason even in a smaller then ever sedan market that they are not seeing 50,000+ cars a year. The look is right, the package is right & the price is right.

Also don't think its purely a 4 cylinder thing, its not having a performance 6 cylinder thing image enhancer. The Germans live on turbo 4 to make their CAFE numbers & move a lot of cars for a lower price then the 6 cylinder turbo. The Germans also make $100,000 luxury cars which does not hurt the image thing at all.

People are brand aware & "know" the Germans makes are performance cars because the 6T's actually are & are all that get talked about. Even people buying 4's are under that umbrella many taking the emblems off for a "cleaner" look.

Think about this they sold 14,000 more 5 series cars then Acura sold TLX. Some of those cars were 4T for $70,000 & a stripper 4T is $56,000. All that gets talked about in the press is the 2.8 second to 60 M5. Image!!
Yes, lack of halo, high performance cars, "smart luxury" is an oxymoron.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Racer

Bear, I think there is a lot of accuracy in your point. I don't really know my Euros anymore, but pitting a TLX against a 3/C/A4 or an RLX against a 5/E/A6 is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Just typing that makes me chuckle. Acura is so far outmatched by those cars that I'm surprised magazines even compare them together.

Indeed, as far as I know, no major mag did run a comparo of the TLX and RLX against other cars theoretically in their segment. Up to the RL and 4G TL they did.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Pro

Yeah, the IS and GS are just killing it. They are doing so well, looks like they are being combined into one model.

https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-is-an...-be-killed-off

https://carbuzz.com/news/will-the-le...-off-entirely1
neuronbob (02-04-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
You know, I didn’t look up IS sales before adding Lexus to my point. My perception was that the IS was beating up the TLX. It actually appears they were neck and neck until the last year when the IS dropped off. With all my TLX issues, I certainly wish I had an IS in my garage instead, but I digress.

My point was that the Euros have the segment covered and Acura is outclassed and outmatched - and I’m just talking Euro base models here. Euros have a market that Acura and Lexus don’t even touch - S4, AMG, M3 and M5. Euros are dropping V8s and biturbos into sedans while Acura tops out at an NA V6. At least Lexus has a V8 In the LS. The reason people buy Euros are for the premium experience and performance. The reason people buy Acura is for a fully loaded Honda that is more reliable than the Euros with almost as much prestige. I think pricing reflects their markets. Acura tops out at whatever $45k for TLX and $60 for RLX while Euros or LS go all the way up to over $100k.

Last edited by someguy11; 01-30-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:27 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
You know, I didn’t look up IS sales before adding Lexus to my point. My perception was that the IS was beating up the TLX. It actually appears they were neck and neck until the last year when the IS dropped off. With all my TLX issues, I certainly wish I had an IS in my garage instead, but I digress.

My point was that the Euros have the segment covered and Acura is outclassed and outmatched - and I’m just talking Euro base models here. Euros have a market that Acura and Lexus don’t even touch - S4, AMG, M3 and M5. Euros are dropping V8s and biturbos into sedans while Acura tops out at an NA V6. At least Lexus has a V8 In the LS. The reason people buy Euros are for the premium experience and performance. The reason people buy Acura is for a fully loaded Honda that is more reliable than the Euros with almost as much prestige. I think pricing reflects their markets. Acura tops out at whatever $45k for TLX and $60 for RLX while Euros or LS go all the way up to over $100k.
Not counting the NSX, if Acura could price a vehicle at $100k, they would. But they can't. The Euro brands and Lexus have spent years grooming their brands through a combination of marketing and engineering development to deliver buyers what they want. The result? Their perceived value is a lot higher than Acura. Look at how many base model 3 series BMW sells. What has Acura done? Deliver a supercar that is out of reach for 99% of North America's population. Create unpopular stylistic choices through the years (beak, exhaust tips delete, cumbersome two screen infotainment, etc.). Not adapting to market conditions - they still have more cars than CUVs. Look at BMW. X1 all the way to X7. Corporate couldn't figure out which primary pedigree to chase - luxury or sport? List goes on and on. The new RDX is looking good and if their slogan is precision crafted performance, focus on that damn slogan and make it happen!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Indeed, as far as I know, no major mag did run a comparo of the TLX and RLX against other cars theoretically in their segment. Up to the RL and 4G TL they did.
Agree, was a time when you could not have a magazine 3/A/C/G35 combo test without a TL in in. The telling listing today is the Lightning Laps conducted each summer for the October C&D issue, in its 12 years of existence has never run an Acura. 242 different cars have been tested at the VIR event since it started in 2006.

A number of Civics & an Accord are listed, in the latest the 2018 Civic Type-R which did very well. Unfortunately a 2015 Honda Fit EX is #242 but at least it made the cut.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/
Lightning Laps 2006/2018 Historical listing
Costco (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:13 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Agree, was a time when you could not have a magazine 3/A/C/G35 combo test without a TL in in. The telling listing today is the Lightning Laps conducted each summer for the October C&D issue, in its 12 years of existence has never run an Acura. 242 different cars have been tested at the VIR event since it started in 2006.

A number of Civics & an Accord are listed, in the latest the 2018 Civic Type-R which did very well. Unfortunately a 2015 Honda Fit EX is #242 but at least it made the cut.

That's sad. Here's hoping the next gen changes all that!

Honda is usually late to market with certain drivetrain tech these days - a turbo-6 is long overdue. Of course, it would be wise to temper expectations.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

In all fairness to the TLX, the Infiniti Q50 has only been in one comparo between C/D and R/T....and that was back in September 2013. #NOTL?

Maybe the rags are just discounting Asian makes in this segment comparison these days. Note: I didn’t check how many comparison tests included the IS.

Last edited by F23A4; 01-31-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts

When I first started looking at the chart I was like, wait a minute!..the honda r&d TL did a 2:15 at VIR, but then I realized these times are based off of the grand course and not the full course.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I just got a feeling moments ago that maybe Acura will have a 'type-S..it's coming' commercial during the superbowl. I think they did that with the nsx.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
When I first started looking at the chart I was like, wait a minute!..the honda r&d TL did a 2:15 at VIR, but then I realized these times are based off of the grand course and not the full course.
Yeah they use the 4.2 mile Grand Course West because they feel it give the best workout of power, speed, cornering & braking. They are trying to simulate what would be a 10/10 run over normal roads, something you would need to be insane to do but interesting to know. The Full Course is only 3.3 miles long.

I just got a feeling moments ago that maybe Acura will have a 'type-S..it's coming' commercial during the superbowl. I think they did that with the nsx.
Excellent plan.

Full Course

Grand Course

BTW The Oak Tree at the Oak Tree corner is long gone.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-31-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by F23A4

Maybe the rags are just discounting Asian makes in this segment comparison these days. Note: I didn’t check how many comparison tests included the IS.
The IS350 actually won a comparo against the 335i I believe in 2014 or so on C&D.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
The IS350 actually won a comparo against the 335i I believe in 2014 or so on C&D.
Looks like July 2013. LINK

I don’t even think the TLX was in concept form back then.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I’m thinking the G70 will actually drive better simply due to it being a more balanced RWD platform. However, the Type-S wont we a slouch. It too will have a nice combination of performance, value, features etc etc.
FWIW, I've driven a G70 2.0T with AWD, and I understand all the accolades. It's excellent. Other than odd transmission behavior, which could have been related to the drive mode, I loved it and I can't wait to test the 2.0T/6MT version. They really nailed the suspension tuning, which provides outstanding ride/handling balance. But I think Acura is more than capable of matching Genesis in this respect, because even my 2010 TSX isn't that far off. (In normal driving, at least.) Given the excellence of the 10G Civic and new Accord, I'm optimistic about the next TLX.

Last edited by Nedmundo; 02-02-2019 at 10:00 AM.
a35tl (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
FWIW, I've driven a G70 2.0T with AWD, and I understand all the accolades. It's excellent. Other than odd transmission behavior, which could have been related to the drive mode, I loved it and I can't wait to test the 2.0T/6MT version. They really nailed the suspension tuning, which provides outstanding ride/handling balance. But I think Acura is more than capable of matching Genesis in this respect, because even my 2010 TSX isn't that far off. (In normal driving, at least.) Given the excellence of the 10G Civic and new Accord, I'm optimistic about the next TLX.
I am with you on this, I still love driving my '09 TSX and I push the handling often. If the new TLX can be a better version of this I would be super happy (I have yet to drive any TLX so can't compare the current version at the moment).
Nedmundo (02-03-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any doubts on 2nd gen TLX for 2020? Err...make that 2021?