Any Advance Owners Replace their windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Any Advance Owners Replace their windshield?

Ice/Snow fell off a tree branch on the highway as I was driving to work today completely shattering the windshield on my wife's MDX which I borrowed.

Scheduled an appointment through my insurance who uses Safelite as their vendor to replace it, but wasn't sure if the Advance models require a dealer visit for recalibration of the various sensors/cameras afterwards. Anyone here have any experience with using Safelite, or another company to do this work? I am going with OEM glass, not aftermarket.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 03-08-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I vaguely remember reading a thread on here where their rain sense, or LKA was off because they used an aftermarket window since the camera was off calibration. From what you said, since you're replacing it with an OEM windshield, everything should be ok.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have Acura's technicians inspect/recalibrate it post replacement.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
FWIW, We had to get a second one installed when the rain sensor did not work due to non-OEM glass being ysed. Just be sure its OEM glass & you should be OK
Old 03-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bingo, it was bear's thread ^
Old 03-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I posted this in a different thread -

I had routine service done by a local Honda Tech @ his home on my wife's 16 RDX Advance. He asked me what I thought about the LKAS / CMBS / ACC, etc..... He said he has had to do a couple of recalibrations on Pilots and they are a "pain in the ass." Doing one requires a lot of physical space and can take a fair amount of time. He said the dealership he works at has had to replace a few non-OEM windshields because of the optics in the glass and in another instance, incorrect placement of the camera. He said it is one of his least favorite shop jobs to do...........
Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
I need to do the same on my '18 Aspec. Can I ask the insurance company to only use OEM glass?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
I need to do the same on my '18 Aspec. Can I ask the insurance company to only use OEM glass?
I would for sure, explain to them about all the sensors and cameras.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
I went through a windshield replacement on my 18 A-Spec so I know this process well. If you have the LKAS, the camera MUST be re-calibrated after a replacement and the only place it can be done is the dealership. Aftermarket glass will also not work you have to use OEM glass..the camera wont calibrate to aftermarket. My insurance company wanted me to go through Safelite, who said they would be able to get OEM glass, but I wanted to have the entire job done through the dealership this way if there were any issues with the install it would be solely their responsibility. My insurance reimbursed me for the full amount. My dealer ordered the glass directly through their parts dept, had their glass guy come in and do the install, then the techs re-calibrated the camera. the calibration process is a pain and can take up to 4 hours.
The following 6 users liked this post by Greg D:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-09-2018), CPR (03-09-2018), Mr Hyde (03-12-2018), ogiewon (03-10-2018), Speed_Racer (03-09-2018), wsw (02-21-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the input guys.

The car is not really driveable since the windshield is just completely shattered right in front of the driver, and Safelite had very quick availability. I called to specify OEM only glass since I didn't want any issues, but on quick googling, I saw many cases where people said some swaps didn't require any calibration which is why I am asking.

I actually replaced this windshield once when it was fairly new. Wife got hit by a soccerball driving past a soccer game. The dealer did it that time as no one else had an OEM glass in stock. I can't find my receipts, but don't recall a recalibration for several hours on the bill.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

So as an update, Safelite screwed up just like the last time a few years ago with horrible customer service, yet again.

The tech showed up with an Acura MDX windshield, but it had triangular cutouts for the Braking system, and Lane Keep Assist which my 2014 does not have. He then proceeded to inform us that myself, and my wife ordered the wrong windshield, and that the car I've owned for the last 3.5 years didn't have those systems because he didn't see the cutouts. The claim went through my insurance, I didn't order anything, and only specified OEM glass due to the CMBS, and LKA systems.

Called my insurance who got the Safelite manager on the phone. He only then decided to use my VIN (which he had) to confirm the right windshield, and then realized that he had ordered the wrong one. Of course no effort to make things right, as I'd have to wait at least 5 days to order the glass, and get rescheduled.

Called my dealer today who ordered, and will have a new windshield tomorrow, and is squeezing me in for the install.

Windshield cost $1200+
Install labor plus 4hrs for recalibration ~$800.
Not having to deal with a rude Safelite tech whom I had zero confidence in - priceless.

Lesson learned. If any of you need the same, just go to the dealer, and submit from reimbursement from your insurance. The car would have probably been fixed by now by a qualified person if I did this from the get go.
Two thumbs down for Safelite, and two thumbs up to Rallye Acura. They've gone above and beyond as they always have.

I have to wonder though, with all these systems, how much longer can insurance companies include free glass replacement coverage if they can no longer use cheaper aftermarket glass, and have these sensors/cameras to deal with as these systems become more, and more mainstream.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 03-13-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
So as an update, Safelite screwed up just like the last time a few years ago with horrible customer service, yet again.

The tech showed up with an Acura MDX windshield, but it had triangular cutouts for the Braking system, and Lane Keep Assist which my 2014 does not have. He then proceeded to inform us that myself, and my wife ordered the wrong windshield, and that the car I've owned for the last 3.5 years didn't have those systems because he didn't see the cutouts. The claim went through my insurance, I didn't order anything, and only specified OEM glass due to the CMBS, and LKA systems.

Called my insurance who got the Safelite manager on the phone. He only then decided to use my VIN (which he had) to confirm the right windshield, and then realized that he had ordered the wrong one. Of course no effort to make things right, as I'd have to wait at least 5 days to order the glass, and get rescheduled.

Called my dealer today who ordered, and will have a new windshield tomorrow, and is squeezing me in for the install.

Windshield cost $1200+
Not having to deal with a rude Safelite tech whom I had zero confidence in - priceless.

Lesson learned. If any of you need the same, just go to the dealer, and submit from reimbursement from your insurance. The car would have probably been fixed by now by a qualified person if I did this from the get go.
Two thumbs down for Safelite, and two thumbs up to Rallye Acura. They've gone above and beyond as they always have.

I have to wonder though, with all these systems, how much longer can insurance companies include free glass replacement coverage if they can no longer use cheaper aftermarket glass, and have these sensors/cameras to deal with as these systems become more, and more mainstream.
State Farm quit doing the free glass replacement years ago.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_97060
State Farm quit doing the free glass replacement years ago.
I guess it depends. I have State Farm, and recently got my windshield replaced. It's for Clarity FCV, with HUD, LKAS, rain sensor, etc.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CL500
I guess it depends. I have State Farm, and recently got my windshield replaced. It's for Clarity FCV, with HUD, LKAS, rain sensor, etc.
Maybe it is geographic, they quit it here about 10 years ago. Might have something to do with the fact they use gravel on the road for snow/ice here.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I believe some states require insurance companies to offer free glass replacements.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde

Windshield cost $1200+

Precisely why I wouldn't go through Safelite when I had to do it on my A-Spec. This was the exact type of hassle that I knew could happen and wanted to avoid at all costs. The biggest reason all insurance companies try to push you through their preferred vendor is they pay about 1/3 the cost of glass (even on OEM glass, they get it through their supplier not the dealer) where as if you go through the dealer yourself, they have no say in the cost of the glass, calibration labor and the vendors install cost. I don't think anyone offers free glass replacement anymore though. Its been a while since I've lived in NY, but when I did, I had additional glass coverage where as in Jersey, it's included in my comprehensive.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:15 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Going through the hassle now of this windshield replacement. I wanted to go through the dealer. $686 for the glass, $150 for installation and $320 for calibration. Geico telling me they only cover $40 per hour for labor outside of the install price. They're trying to make me pay for the calibration out of pocket. I hate insurance company red tape. . .
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Geico glass update: Hey Speed_Racer; just called their glass division, to determine if my A-SPEC windshield is fully covered
Here is the response, from the NY area consultant
If you decide to go to your dealer, Geico will reimburse you in full, including calibration
The downside, is that it comes out of pocket; sort of like Medical Insurance; lol
If you choose to use Geico's installers, there's zero charge
Technically, either way it's free; except through the dealer, you have to wait for the reimbursement, from Geico
Strange, only because, if you're having collision work done, the dealer usually works directly through the insurance company
The following users liked this post:
Speed_Racer (03-23-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 06:00 PM
I love spreadsheets.

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Going through the hassle now of this windshield replacement. I wanted to go through the dealer. $686 for the glass, $150 for installation and $320 for calibration. Geico telling me they only cover $40 per hour for labor outside of the install price. They're trying to make me pay for the calibration out of pocket. I hate insurance company red tape. . .
I had to replace my windshield two times now during my six month ownership of the car. I suppose the glass on this vehicle just isn't as durable as older cars...

My dealer outsources windshield replacements to a 3rd party whom I've used for both replacements. During the 1st time, I went with OEM glass manufactured by Asahi Glass Company (AGC). 2nd time around, I was given the option to save $100 off my deductible if I went with AGC glass without the Acura branding. Based on my experience, you may not need calibration if the windshield is properly mounted and the LKAS camera is secured correctly to the brackets. Either way, I have GEICO as well and they offered to reimburse me for calibration costs if I needed it.
The following users liked this post:
Speed_Racer (03-25-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I paid out of pocket through the dealer which ended up being just over $2k with the calibration, and Liberty Mutual reimbursed me in full for everything except the new wiper blades I requested. My dealer as well does not do the replacement themselves, but supplied the OEM parts (glass & molding)

My windshield was also replaced twice (MDX not TLX), but I wouldn't say the glass was weak. The first was with my wife driving on a parkway past a field when she was hit by a soccer ball, and this time a big block of snow/ice fell on the car. Both time were at highway speeds, and in both cases, the windshield was heavily damaged with massive spider webbing. Not sure what exactly makes the calibration a requirement, but according to my SA (take it with a grain of salt) with another customer who had theirs aligned by the glass company after a replacement, it was still off when checked by them at the dealership.