Acura vs Lexus...and reliability?

Old 02-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura vs Lexus...and reliability?

Hi guys

Recently began car shopping. As an Acura fan and having owned 3 previous ('99 Integra, 2g CL Type-S, 3g TL), my immediate thought was to look at the TLX. I have test driven both 4cyl & v6...currently leaning towards the 4cyl w/Tech, mostly because eof pricing & transmission issues with the 9-speed.
I would also mention that I intend to buy CPO '16-17 model.
I also have test driven '16 Lexus IS300 and enjoyed it. Would also like to add I never owned a Lexus vehicle but was pleased with what I saw so far.
There are pros & cons to both.

With that said, I began reading Consumer Reports and saw that Acura is currently ranked #22 in reliability vs Lexus at #4. Seeing Acura at #22 has me slightly hesitant to purchase because I plan keep whichever car I purchase for at least 5-8yrs.

How do you guys feel about the reliability aspect and/or quality of a TLX vs Lexus?

Any opinions, info, etc. are welcomed!
Thanks
Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I was just in another thread saying how much buyers remorse I currently feel within my first year of buying my TLX. I would have much been better off with the IS or stretching for the LS 460 AWD that I wanted so badly. After buying my 2015 V6 SH-AWD Advance about 30k in July 2018, here is a list of work and dealer visits I needed:
-Sept 18 36k miles: I replaced tires to fix vibration and prepare for winter
-Oct 18 36.5k miles: dealer warranty service for propeller shaft and replace engine mounts
-Oct 18 37.1k miles: dealer warranty service to road force balance tires and fix rear speaker rattle
-Nov 18 37.8k miles: dealer warranty service to replace transmission due to hard shifting 2-3 and other awful behavior and fix chirping noise with timing belt shim
-Nov 18 38.5k miles: dealer warranty service to replace high pressure fuel pump
-Jan 19 39.5k miles: I replaced battery due to two failed idle stop restarts/stalls
-Feb 19 around 42.5k miles: will be going in for dealer warranty service for low pressure fuel pump recall and to fix driver door seal popping

I can attest to the CR very poor TLX rating. The drive to my dealer is 45 minutes each way. Think about dem apples. Every trip is a pain in my butt. The silver lining is that I got a lot of free car washes. Mileage will vary for everyone. I'm sure guys will follow me saying their cars have been flawless. That's great and probably true. Not mine though and my deep sense of buyers remorse does me no good. I simply hope no new issues pop up after I catch up on the backlog of preexisting issues.

Last edited by someguy11; 02-06-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
if you have OCD and want things as perfect as possible, go with Lexus. they're much better in details/built.
Acura is good but little things here and there will bother you, and their built quality isn't near Lexus built.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Someguy11...Oh wow, sorry to hear about your bad experience with your car!

I'm well aware of the transmission issues with the 9-speed, which is why I'm leaning towards the 4cyl w/tech...which I enjoyed during my test drive. I haven't heard about the 4cyl & 8-speed combo having issues as the v6 & 9-speed have...but any info is welcomed!

Like I had said...in the past, I never looked elsewhere and kept going back to Acura...but this time around I'm leaning towards the Lexus brand and giving them a try.
If CR is accurate with their test results and reliability ratings...then I would think that Lexus should be the hands down winner, right?

Last edited by runninlow3; 02-06-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jzhu625
if you have OCD and want things as perfect as possible, go with Lexus. they're much better in details/built.
Acura is good but little things here and there will bother you, and their built quality isn't near Lexus built.
All 3 Acura's I had in the past never gave me any issues whatsoever...but we're also talking about Acura's from over a decade ago!
And I will admit that I do have certain OCD issues when it comes to my cars. lol
Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Without getting too wordy keep in mind Lexus maintains their level of reliability by rarely changing anything. New technology you will not find in Toyota products. They stick to a formula which has been successful for them. The majority reason for Acura being so low is their confusing tech for non tech folks. I find the driving dynamics of Acura to be more my taste than a Lexus, which most tend to drive like a couch on 4 wheels. YMMV. That being said, I would personally stay away from any TLX prior to year 2018, especially for V6 models. You are correct, there isn't nearly as much complaining of the 4 banger. Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my 2017 TLX 4-cyl for 2 years (40k kms) now.
The only issue I had to get fixed were the Aero skirt package coming loose.
It was installed by a Nissan dealer though, so I can't blame Acura dealer for this.
So far, no other issue to report.
I've never owned a Lexus, but having looked at the prices I just can't justify the premium.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread but here is what I went thru with mine. It is a 2016 4cy Tech.

Replaced LKAS sensor - car decided to changed lane without warning, scared the crap out of me on the freeway once. Good thing there was no car next to me.
2 front struts replaced
Front engine mount and tranny mount replaced
High pressure fuel pump was replaced due to that chirping noise. The noise came back after a month, now I am waiting to bring it in and see what they will do.

Mine engine also has low idle, the RPM dipped down below 600, which causing a freaking annoying vibration at stop light. Maybe this cause a premature wear on the tranny mount? They wont or cant fix that idle issue. The tranny was jerking and slamming in gear when coming to a stop. There is a fixed for that so if you do get the 4cyl, make sure it already got the update.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I was just in another thread saying how much buyers remorse I currently feel within my first year of buying my TLX. I would have much been better off with the IS or stretching for the LS 460 AWD that I wanted so badly. After buying my 2015 V6 SH-AWD Advance about 30k in July 2018, here is a list of work and dealer visits I needed:
-Oct 18 36.5k miles: dealer warranty service for propeller shaft and replace engine mounts
-Oct 18 37.1k miles: dealer warranty service to road force balance tires and fix rear speaker rattle
-Nov 18 37.8k miles: dealer warranty service to replace transmission due to hard shifting 2-3 and other awful behavior and fix chirping noise with timing belt shim
-Jan 19 39.5k miles: I replaced battery due to two failed idle stop restarts/stalls
-Feb 19 around 42.5k miles: will be going in for dealer warranty service for low pressure fuel pump recall and to fix driver door seal popping

I can attest to the CR very poor TLX rating. The drive to my dealer is 45 minutes each way. Think about dem apples. Every trip is a pain in my butt. The silver lining is that I got a lot of free car washes. Mileage will vary for everyone. I'm sure guys will follow me saying their cars have been flawless. That's great and probably true. Not mine though and my deep sense of buyers remorse does me no good. I simply hope no new issues pop up after I catch up on the backlog of preexisting issues.
Almost every manufacturer's first year production has issues. You should have done your research before you made your purchase. I sure did mine. I waited for my 2016. 2016 had no issues. I have my 2018 for almost a year now and still has no issues. I am not defending Acura here. All I am saying is you should have done more research especially if you are thinking of keeping a vehicle long term.
The following 2 users liked this post by edmua6:
F23A4 (02-06-2019), luckybaer (05-17-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
I'd take the new IS over a TLX any day of the week.. The new body style is gorgeous
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
In my almost 5 years of leasing a TLX, I can attest to their reliability in my experience. In particular, since I switched to the 2.4, whose transmission/engine combination I find to be excellent and more than enough power for my needs, city or highway. I've had one warranty replacement, a slightly wonky driver side power window motor on my 2016 2.4 Tech. NADA after 5 months on my 2018 Elite ASpec. Lexus is likely more reliable, but I think you have to figure in some of the older complaints about the 9 Speed ZF, even though many of the concerns have been ironed out. The ZF 9 speed on my 2105 SHAWD Tech was the main reason I switched to the wonderfully quick shifting 8 Speed DCT on the 2.4, which had always been my first choice, but foolishly got swayed by colour choice and the allure of the SH-AWD.

Either way, i would extend the warranty of whichever car you choose. At the end of the day, it usually comes down to the relative value proposition. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I would say Lexus for reliability. That said you can expect more issues in a year 1 car then a year 2. Was fortunate so far with the 2018 440 which I ordered before it was released with a new design 355HP B58 engine replacing the 320HP N55 launched around 2011.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by edmua6
Almost every manufacturer's first year production has issues. You should have done your research before you made your purchase. I sure did mine. I waited for my 2016. 2016 had no issues. I have my 2018 for almost a year now and still has no issues. I am not defending Acura here. All I am saying is you should have done more research especially if you are thinking of keeping a vehicle long term.
How would you do "research" on a 1st year model?
The following users liked this post:
someguy11 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:44 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by F23A4
You had to have known prior to purchase that this wasn’t the best automatic transmission, particularly when it comes to performance driving. The complaints here on the forum (as well as mentions in auto mags/videos) have been coming fast and furious since the TLX V6 hit the marketplace.

Research is what OP is doing and I shared my story with him. Maybe he can avoid my issues or a TLX altogether. That is up to him.

I'm sort of amazed by these people who say: "you should have known <insert issue here>." There was another post like this regarding the ZF9 above. Let me be the first to tell you that some of us that you lump into a bin labeled "idiots" did do their research. I typically refer to magazines like Car & Driver or Motor Trend for their First Drives or Long Term Wrap Ups. None of them mention vibrations or quality issues. Then I checked out Consumer Reports at the library. I see Acura is unusually far down the list, but yet, I trust Honda for the personal history I've had with them. No issues with my Accord or TSX in the past, and few with our current Odyssey. I always go to Edmunds - this is what I consider most valuable - to see what actual consumers are saying. Yeah there are some grumblings about transmission issues, but the reviews are generally positive. The review videos by MotorWeek were particularly helpful to me. Google MotorWeek 2015 TLX for those.

I'll tell you what I didn't do. Come hang out on a forum discussing a car I didn't own. I only stumbled on AcuraZine after Googling "TLX vibration." Here I am. This site got me a new tranny and all those other fixes, although my car still shakes on the highway. It's completely wrong and unreasonable to think every prospective buyer comes to a forum to study a car they don't own and read whatever noise faux experts and internet tough guys and trolls like you and me have to share.

You sound like a salesperson. I've literally heard them say "first model year kinks" when selling the second year of the same model they just spent a year selling. I have never owned a model with issues like this, certainly not from Asians. My 90 Accord was a redesign. My 04 WRX was a redesign. Our 06 Tribeca was a brand new model. My 09 TSX was a redesign. No issues with any of those. My 1998 A4 was right in the middle of a production run and was the most expensive relationship I've had. Our 12 Odyssey was a 2nd year version has had few issues. 11-13 all share similar issues. 14-18 Odysseys aren't fairing much better. So congrats for being smarter than everyone else and waiting for 2016. Hopefully your ZF9, door seals, engine mounts, VCM and high and low pressure fuel pumps stand the test of time.

Last edited by someguy11; 02-06-2019 at 11:51 AM.
runninlow3 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Advanced

These are all good points, knowledge and information that I was hoping to receive from this community to help with my decision! Thanks!

If I do go the Acura route, I would definitely go at least '16-'17...I too have always tried to avoid first year production models. And I'll make sure to check all TSB's that have been performed.
It's unfortunate to hear that Acura has indeed decreased in their reliability. I tend to be Honda/Acura brand loyal...but at the same time not loyal enough to want to own a car with issues/problems.

The IS300 is an attractive vehicle for sure and does have an edge on the TLX in style, amongst a few other things.
Both vehicles fall within the $25k +/- budget that I have, so that factor doesn't tend to sway my decision would be willing to pay for piece of mind/reliability!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Lexus for sure, and I'm a long time Honda fan and currently own a 19 TLX 2.4 A-Spec. I would have gone Lexus but I find the IS to be too cramped and the GS to be too big, the TLX fits perfect.

Acura really took a hit with those V6 transmissions, almost everyone I know with a V6 Accord or V6 Acura has had some sort of tranny issue. The 4 cylinders are rock solid though.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

How did they fix the rear speaker rattle?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chums
Lexus for sure, and I'm a long time Honda fan and currently own a 19 TLX 2.4 A-Spec. I would have gone Lexus but I find the IS to be too cramped and the GS to be too big, the TLX fits perfect.

Acura really took a hit with those V6 transmissions, almost everyone I know with a V6 Accord or V6 Acura has had some sort of tranny issue. The 4 cylinders are rock solid though.
As you can see, I too am a long time Honda/Acura fan. If size of the IS300 is the biggest concern/problem then I have nothing to worry about being 5'-7", 142lbs lol
Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
One additional data point to consider; Consumer Reports has the Lexus IS in the top 10 of cars that owners are least satisfied with: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-satisfaction/. Keep in mind that the IS is already 6 years old and the Lexus Enform infotainment system is arguably worse than the Acura infotainment system, which is saying a lot.

Interesting note; the ILX is still at the top of that list (and for good reason).
Old 02-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I don't think Acura deserves to be that far down on the list but based on how you determine reliability I can see why they're there. As was said, newer model comparison and infotainment issues. However, as a whole and considering the past, I think #22 was harsh.

But to answer the question, Lexus hands down. Regardless of what you think of Acura vs. Lexus, there's pretty much no argument that Lexus outpaces Acura in reliability.

I was surprised to see the negative review from CR on the road test for the IS. I'm not a big fan of CR's opinion though. I've experienced a much different experience in some of the cars I've owned vs. how they felt about it.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts

I take all of those review sites with a grain of salt.
luckybaer (05-17-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Just to be clear, the ZF9 in my old 16 TLX, currently owned 17 MDX and 19 TLX have not had ANY reliability issues......at all!

The ZF9 may not perform as sharply as a multitude of other automatic trannys but it shouldn’t be any more of a dealbreaker than the 7AT is for the Infiniti Q50.

And with all do respect to those who have a problematic 15 V6 model, edmau6’s general assertion is spot on when it comes to vehicles in their first year of production. I’ve been driving since 1986 and this was a long time rule of thumb back then....and this is not specific to any one brand.
a35tl (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
Lexus all the way. I would get IS myself as well but they are just too small and I have no interest in the GS. Acura really took some short cuts with TLX with their stupid SMART luxury approach. Just touch and feel the interior and yes IS has many cheap plastic pieces but overall it is much better. 9sp tranny sucks even though it has been improved. I have 18 Aspec and it is just ok. I apsolutely hated my 15 TLX, the only reason I'm still in with Acura is because my dealer really took care of me in getting me out of my lease early. The Aspec is much improved, really hoping they knock it out if the park with the new Type S.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
How did they fix the rear speaker rattle?
There are a few threads on here suggesting it could be any of many things. Broken clips, loose speakers, loose wiring, etc. Mine was the deck vibrating against the rear window. They padded this joint by stuffing in four 3” strips of foam two-sided tape. Doesn’t look great, but sounds so much better.

Last edited by someguy11; 02-06-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
How would you do "research" on a 1st year model?
How do you research on a 1st year model? You wait? If you read his post properly, he bough a first year model in July 2018. Lots of threads about how much people hated their first year model. Transmission, vibration, system failure, you name it. Search is your best friend.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Pro

Research is what OP is doing and I shared my story with him. Maybe he can avoid my issues or a TLX altogether. That is up to him.

I'm sort of amazed by these people who say: "you should have known <insert issue here>." There was another post like this regarding the ZF9 above. Let me be the first to tell you that some of us that you lump into a bin labeled "idiots" did do their research. I typically refer to magazines like Car & Driver or Motor Trend for their First Drives or Long Term Wrap Ups. None of them mention vibrations or quality issues. Then I checked out Consumer Reports at the library. I see Acura is unusually far down the list, but yet, I trust Honda for the personal history I've had with them. No issues with my Accord or TSX in the past, and few with our current Odyssey. I always go to Edmunds - this is what I consider most valuable - to see what actual consumers are saying. Yeah there are some grumblings about transmission issues, but the reviews are generally positive. The review videos by MotorWeek were particularly helpful to me. Google MotorWeek 2015 TLX for those.

I'll tell you what I didn't do. Come hang out on a forum discussing a car I didn't own. I only stumbled on AcuraZine after Googling "TLX vibration." Here I am. This site got me a new tranny and all those other fixes, although my car still shakes on the highway. It's completely wrong and unreasonable to think every prospective buyer comes to a forum to study a car they don't own and read whatever noise faux experts and internet tough guys and trolls like you and me have to share.

You sound like a salesperson. I've literally heard them say "first model year kinks" when selling the second year of the same model they just spent a year selling. I have never owned a model with issues like this, certainly not from Asians. My 90 Accord was a redesign. My 04 WRX was a redesign. Our 06 Tribeca was a brand new model. My 09 TSX was a redesign. No issues with any of those. My 1998 A4 was right in the middle of a production run and was the most expensive relationship I've had. Our 12 Odyssey was a 2nd year version has had few issues. 11-13 all share similar issues. 14-18 Odysseys aren't fairing much better. So congrats for being smarter than everyone else and waiting for 2016. Hopefully your ZF9, door seals, engine mounts, VCM and high and low pressure fuel pumps stand the test of time.
LMAO. I am not a salesperson. You bought your 2015 TLX in July 2018. Lots of posts have been made about transmission and vibration complaints by now. Heck, when I was researching for a 2015 TLX back in November 2015, there were already complaints about the transmission and vibration. I am not a keyboard fighter. I am just letting you know and the OP that information nowadays are at the tip of your fingers. Welcome to the information age, a quick google of Acura TLX problems will lead you to endless posts of people complaining especially with the transmission and vibrations issues. I do research on things that I want to buy especially is it involves a big chunk of money. Same goes if you google Lexus IS problems or BMW 340 problems. Research is key.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Every one on my and my wife's Acuras have been rock solid, sans the 15 TLX tranny which was crap, but reliable. That said Lexus has their own issues mostly with some being behind with their Enform UI which was the bomb when it came out, I think Toyota got caught with their pants down and I think they thought their reputation would carry them. Don’t get me wrong their cars are in a different class of luxury than Acura, but I used to see myself retiring with an LS and lately not so much.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Research is key.
​​​​​​
Earlier in this thread, you said “I’m not defending Acura.” But you’re basically blaming the 19,127 people who purchased a TLX in 2014 and the majority of the 47,080 more who bought in 2015 (before the 2016 came out). And you’re blaming me and everyone else who will buy a used TLX in the next few years for not knowing that the car they are about to buy vibrates on the highway and has a crappy ZF9. You are diverting blame from Acura to the buyers. Since you’re so adept at research, maybe you have also seen the people on this forum who took Acura to court over the vibration? Some lost. Some won. Acura replaced hundreds of early adopter ZF9 by choice, due to terrible customer satisfaction. Does any of that sound like a quality automobile? Or an automobile you would expect from Acura? I told you the sources of my research. I guess I trusted that, you know, Acura wouldn’t design a vehicle as lousy as a TLX, or that the major outlets would mention it shook on the highway. Their reputation over the last 20 years led me and many others to believe we didn’t have to worry about anything like this and spend hours parsing through feedback from internet heroes. No one should need to hang out on enthusiast forums to confirm they’re buying a decent Acura. Acura should build better cars than that. If a Ford Fiesta can go 80mph without shaking, a TLX should too. Know what makes me LMAO? The thought of Audi or BMW ever releasing a vehicle that wobbles between 70-80mph, then telling customers to deal with it because it’s a normal characteristic of the car. I’m not talking annoyances or preferences I dislike. These are design flaws.

If you go check out ClubLexus, their owners start threads about their biggest complaints, and there is stuff like the IS offering nowhere to set their phones while driving. That is a good problem to have considering what we are discussing on the TLX forum. Lexus is the king of reliability and Acura is going in the wrong direction.

Last edited by someguy11; 02-06-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Absolutely this. Mine has some fit and finish issues that don't effect the functionality of the car, but it's just annoying to see on what's supposed to be a "luxury" car (even though I know Acura is not that), such as:
- Fuel door doesn't sit flush with the body (even after dealership adjusted it)
- Gap between rear bumper and taillight on one side is noticeably larger than the gap on the other side of the car
- Sunroof gasket is flush on one side of the car but sticks up on the other side
- Slight buzzing coming from a-pillar above 5000rpms
- The lines for the backup camera don't show up 10% of the time (I've never figured out how to use them anyways so NBD)
- Backup camera sometimes takes a few seconds to show up after shifting into reverse
- Why doesn't the rear door handles have keyless sensors?!?!?!? An 2006 entry-level Lexus had those standard.
- Not having a power-adjustable steering wheel is actually quite annoying because my wife and I have to manually adjust it every time we switch. Again, something an entry-level Lexus had 13 years ago.
- Sometimes the car takes a couple seconds to unlock when I grab the door handle, while other times it's near instant. Totally inconsistent.

Mechanically there's no issues, but some of these things make you wonder about the QC at the Ohio plant or why certain features were omitted...

Last edited by fiatlux; 02-06-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi

I take all of those review sites with a grain of salt.
Consumer Reports is not what it used to be. Checked it out before buying my kid a new civic and they had it rated fairly poor for reliability. Outside of the 15 TLX there is not much reliability issues with the other years. People don't like the trans behavior but its not a reliability issue. Getting close to 20k on mine and it's had no unexpected issues nor has the 16 civic. Lexus may be a little better but it's not by a huge margin. As you said take it with "a grain of salt".
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
F23A4 (02-08-2019), ostrich (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced

Consumer Reports isn't the end all/bible to me whatsoever, but reading what they have to say is interesting and makes me wonder. So that's why I started this thread...I figure the best information/opinions/feedback I can get, will be from current Acura owners and their personal experiences. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread!

I've been out of the Acura family for several years now, granted I'm currently driving a Honda, but I don't recall Acura in the past having been low on the list of reliability. All three of my Acura's never had any issues...ok I leased the first two for 3 yrs each but the TL I held onto for 8yrs without any problems except for regular wear & tear/maintenance which was great.
I'd like to return to Acura and have that same experience...so I guess we'll see what I decide to do.
luckybaer (05-17-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 4cyl with tech package. No issues whatsoever. 4th Acura owned.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Since '98, have leased 7 Acura's; 2 CL's, 3 TL's, & 2 TLX's; 5 with SH-AWD
Only real concern, was the "bum" 9 speed ZF tranny, in my 2015 TLX; (which after many complaints, was replaced, free of charge)
For 20+ year's of reliability, that's pretty damn good
Case closed

Last edited by CPR; 02-08-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling error
ostrich (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I have had 2 TLX now - the first one that came out, followed by the TLX A-Spec SH-AWD that came out last year. I have had zero reliability issue with either. I think that is as good as it gets!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Have a 2013 GS 350 F sport and a 2015 TLX in the fleet. Yes different years, but the common factor is they are both the first year of the generation.

Lexus: 53k miles now roughly
- Had rotors replaced because turning the wheel all the way to either side meant a creaking sound. This was fixed for free as a design flaw.
- Suspension, the front passenger side coilover I believe was broken and had to be replaced (out of warranty window) so it wasn't cheap.

Acura: 51.5k miles now roughly
- brought in to dealer 3 times for jerky transmission which was then reset all times. (Recently had ATF fluid changed and seems smoother now.)
- brought in to dealer to diagnose electronics error where all warning lights came on and remained on (though it reset itself once the car was off. Dealer found no issue and haven't had the issue since.)

Those are the biggest issues I've had with either car. That being said, you could say both have been quite reliable minus the suspension part on the Lexus and the functioning design flaw of the ZF9 in the TLX. "Out of the box" (or whatever phrase you want to use), the TLX has had no failed parts unlike the two replaced in the Lexus. My transmission hasn't failed and it is deemed as a "characteristic" as poor of an excuse that could be it's well documented the ZF9 is not a very smooth transmission. Considering both have very similar miles I would chalk up this as a win for the TLX. Both vehicles drive roughly the same roads and with construction around here in the Bay Area I was a bit shocked that the Lexus already had a major suspension issue.

Both brands are quite reliable and have the support of their parent companies Honda and Toyota which both are reliable. In my time in being behind Honda and close family members being behind Toyota more, I can say that reliability between both is almost a non-issue. I have not heard of any major repairs at all other than parts that break down from wear and tear. Again, surprised the suspension in the GS350 failed so soon, but guess it hit a pothole pretty bad or something (couple that with the lower profile tire and bigger wheels, bad mix obviously.)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:25 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Cool comparison... OK... Tough question... So which one do you like more?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Cool comparison... OK... Tough question... So which one do you like more?
I think I prefer the TLX more to be honest. Let me break it down into different categories to explain my decision.

Comfort: First off, Lexus makes the comfiest seats, imo (even the IS where I feel extremely cramped in). However, as I have a TLX Advance trim, everything that comes with it makes it a more comfortable car. Acura Sense or whatever it's called now, makes for a more comfortable ride with LKAS and ACC especially, two features my GS doesn't have. Also in terms in cabin noise, the TLX is quieter than my GS. There is definitely more tire noise in my GS, but that's most likely due to the lower profile tires and bigger wheels. For the record, both cars have Michelin A/S 3+ tires on them with similar stock tire sizes on the GS and stock tire size on the TLX.

Driving in the Bay Area with all the construction we have going on, I'd take the TLX every time as I don't feel as many bumps or the thousands of imperfections on the road. Overall a more comfortable experience.

Technology: Landslide victory for the TLX here. The GS purchased doesn't have any real tech features (No LKAS, no ACC, no LDW, etc.) The only thing up on the TLX that it does have is the stock navigation system, but anything beats the TLX stock navi system. As for the UI, I despise the Lexus "mouse" and it is the one thing that is a constant reminder of a dislike of the car.

Driving dynamics: Being the GS is the F Sport trim it has some specific driving characteristics that the standard model doesn't have. The car is little body roll compared to the TLX and although both are electronic steering, the GS feels more responsive to input. Seriously I can make the car twitch with one finger and it only gets more sensitive if I put it to Sport/Sport+ mode. I don't drive like speed racer or anything, but yes I'll take an on-ramp a bit quicker than I would with my TLX just because the GS feels so much more stable and more confident in the turns. IDS on the TLX is basically useless, but fun to feel the difference in the steering especially once Sport mode is on, but I typically drive on Normal mode. GS wins this hands down.

The engine in the GS is super responsive and so is the throttle response. The transmission, although an older 6spd one, is very responsive and quick to shift as well. No hesitation and definitely no jerking around like what my TLX felt like earlier on (which has since improved with my ATF change just a couple hundred miles ago.)

Fuel Economy: Landslide victory for the TLX here. VCM has a huge impact on highway driving which I mostly do.

Quality: Well obviously the Lexus wins this one. The materials used are far nicer than those used in the TLX and it's all put together so well. Everything your hands make contact with in the GS reminds you you're in a luxury car. The same can't be said for the TLX, especially with the dash being 75% soft touch plastic....

Squeaks and rattles over time: I've had my fair share of rattles in the TLX which were all remedied by the dealership. Many of the sounds I had came from the headlinder or the upper area of the windshield and where the control switch is at the top by the mirror. As for the GS, it's developed as many rattles; by the driver side door, the seat belt buckle (which I fixed with some felt tape as it was knocking against the pillar when not in use), and one other rattle that has gone away. There were some squeaks from the suspension that went away when the part was replaced (again, still frustrated a part like that went so early, but maybe hit a pretty good size pothole or something.)

Value: Again, another landslide victory for the TLX here. I feel like I got a car that punches above it's class in terms of comfort especially. Comparing it directly with the GS I have, I have a more comfortable car for $20k less than what I paid for on the GS. The TLX has more technology, gets far better fuel economy, and has been more reliable than the GS. Technology may not be a fair comparison as in the two years there was great growth in car technology, but I'm still factoring it in because of the price I paid for both cars. Not only that but the GS had to be special ordered as the configuration that I wanted wasn't available in CA or anywhere in the US at the time ( white paint F sport with the red leather) so of course that added to the price.

I've been very happy with both cars. But there's a reason that my TLX will surpass the mileage on my GS this year, and soon. It's been more reliable than my GS has been, and it's a better everyday car for me.
The following 5 users liked this post by dezymond:
a35tl (02-13-2019), DohcIVTEC (02-13-2019), hadokenuh (02-13-2019), losiglow (04-09-2019), se05 (05-18-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting... That was an incredibly detailed comparison.

I always liked the GS when it camecout in early 2012, I feel like it's the car that started "new Lexus"...

But I think the TLX looks better, IMO!
dezymond (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
I switched to '14 GS350 RWD and no regrets, more space then IS model, after 3 years owning will keep for longer! I did not have any issues at all...

I want to get my TL 6 speed AWD just cause I miss manual and keep it as weekend / fun car...
Old 02-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Very interesting read dezymond. Your experience seems to generally coincide with my impression. Thank you for sharing.
dezymond (02-13-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura vs Lexus...and reliability?