Acura TLX vs Infiniti Q50

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I was the complete opposite. It looked "ok" in pics, but looked a lot better in person to me. Even the "Sonata" taillights look better in person and when lit up. Of course, none of this mattered to me after the electronic and steering issues started popping up. I've decided not to get one for now.
I should have been more clear on my post. What I really meant was the base Q50 in certain color (grey, graphite shadow, etc) looks not as good and somewhat pale in person. The Q50 Sport, especially in white, looks darn good in pictures and in person IMO.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Saw a q50 on the road. From afar i thought it was a sonata from the rear... Got close and saw the infiniti badge.
Good to know I am not the only one who sees that
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Money is on the TLX.

I really don't appreciate the Q50 much. I keep mistaking the Mazda 6 with the Q50 lol.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (03-06-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I will support Infiniti over Audi, but they really went the wrong direction with the Q50.
A lot of buyers are complaining the Q50 made the Brand head towards the 'old people' market, stressing pure luxury over luxury/sport combinations.
The Das and Tech issues didn't help.

If the TLX looks exactly like the prototype and I'm pretty sure it will... it's no comparison at all. TLX hands down.

A Athletic Red TLX dominates a weird looking Blue Q50.
Hands down.

Now performance/driving experience, who knows yet. But in terms of looks, the Q50 looks like some sort of Sonata/Mazda 6 Hybrid............. not that there's anything wrong with the Sonata or 6. The Mazda 6 is a beautiful looking car. Beautiful.

BUT..........if I wanted a baby, I don't want the parents to be a Mazda and Hyundai.. just saying..............
Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I like the TLX prototype but I'm afraid Acura will take the excitement away in the production model. And of course we don't know if the interior will be MDX/RDX like or something newer.

I sat in the Q50 at the autoshow last weekend and I really liked it. The infotainment system was pretty responsive. I'm well aware of all the issues this car has had so I wouldn't consider it until that is all resolved. BTW the Q50 forum is looking more and more like the ClubLexus forum... getting ugly over there with fanboys versus those owners with problems. Anyway, I like the car but it would take too much to get me into one.

Can't wait to see the production TLX.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Q50, which is on my short list. You guys are actually making the point never buy a car on the first model year, so it might have to be the Q50.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2011 Accord lease is up in May and I have been offered the following deal from Infiniti:

Q50 AWD (base) $38,850 MSRP

39 month lease @ 12K miles/ yr

$361 OTD per month

No other money / MSD (multiple security deposits) out of pocket.

They are rolling all fees, etc into my monthly payment

I would love some feedback. Thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by DealsAllTheWay
My 2011 Accord lease is up in May and I have been offered the following deal from Infiniti:

Q50 AWD (base) $38,850 MSRP

39 month lease @ 12K miles/ yr

$361 OTD per month

No other money / MSD (multiple security deposits) out of pocket.

They are rolling all fees, etc into my monthly payment

I would love some feedback. Thanks
It would probably be better to ask over on the Q50 forum. But isn't that MSRP for that model?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Q50, which is on my short list. You guys are actually making the point never buy a car on the first model year, so it might have to be the Q50.
The Q50 is the only first year model vehicle to my recollection that is actually DANGEROUS to drive with the the likelihood of loss of all steering function.

Other first year model problems do not prevent vehicles from steering properly, which is a basic auto necessity and requirement.

Until Infiniti works out the Q50's steering bugs, it's a big NO on the Q50. I rather drive a $100 Geo Metro than risk not being able to steer a $40k vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
MtnMan (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It would probably be better to ask over on the Q50 forum. But isn't that MSRP for that model?
$38,850 is the MSRP... I know a lot of people get hung up on the MSRP, sale price, money factor, etc.

But I am looking at cars in this price range and those are Q50, ATS, TL, BMW 3 series, C300, Audi A4, etc.

So when I compare to those cars, I can't find a single one that has a MSRP around $39,000... paying $361 a month OTD / 12K Miles per year

Maybe I need to look at it from comparing all the numbers...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
if same price, gotta go with Q50 because of rwd. TLX really needs to be very competitive in its price or otherwise people will scare away like with RLX
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Infiniti really screwed up big time with the Q50. The steer-by-wire thing is just very scary to drive and it's the main reason why it's no longer on my shopping list after test driving one.

It's been many months now since they started selling the Q50 here but I have only seen one on the road so far....

The G sedan is their "bread and butter" car and Infiniti must be in trouble.... the interesting thing is, the G sedan used to be really expensive in Canada and yet it was selling like a hot cake. Now the Q50 is priced just the same as it is in the States, so it's a huge price cut from the G sedan. However, it does not seem to be selling. The price now makes it around the same or just a bit more expensive than the 4G TL, depending on which trim you are looking at.

BTW, the local Acura dealer told me yesterday that the TLX is supposed to be here around June. Who knows? But if he is correct, then that is pretty good timing.

Last edited by ostrich; 02-09-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I was told the same as far as the June time frame for Canada. The only thing is that they will be in limited supplies initially and the dealers will be given an allotment of TLX with little choices in trims/colors/options. As production ramps up, then they will start being able to place orders so I suspect that for me, I may not be able to get my hands on one until the spring of 2015 because I doubt I'll get one in June. As you know, I am not one to buy/lease a vehicle in August/September as that is too close for winter for me...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Infiniti really screwed up big time with the Q50. The steer-by-wire thing is just very scary to drive and it's the main reason why it's no longer on my shopping list after test driving one.

It's been many months now since they started selling the Q50 here but I have only seen one on the road so far....

The G sedan is their "bread and butter" car and Infiniti must be in trouble.... the interesting thing is, the G sedan used to be really expensive in Canada and yet it was selling like a hot cake. Now the Q50 is priced just the same as it is in the States, so it's a huge price cut from the G sedan. However, it does not seem to be selling. The price now makes it around the same or just a bit more expensive than the 4G TL, depending on which trim you are looking at.

BTW, the local Acura dealer told me yesterday that the TLX is supposed to be here around June. Who knows? But if he is correct, then that is pretty good timing.

I haven't seen a single Q50 in my parts yet. Wow, what a FUBAR. Not good to release tech that's not ready for prime time.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ As you know, I am not one to buy/lease a vehicle in August/September as that is too close for winter for me...
ROTFLOL, Weather! Here in Calgary, it seems like with the exception of June, July, August, and maybe September (if I feel generous!) then we are pretty much in winter mode... LOL! So that does not leave much time for car shopping here!!! LOL!!!

Seriously, I hear you. I hope that by September/October, we will have a good supply of TLX here!!! :-)

On the other hand, have you seen the newly refreshed X3, Weather!? OMG, that thing is quite a looker....!!! I know it is a very different car, but if the TLX that I want will not be available then, perhaps the 2015 X3 will be the way to go when my lease is up!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ *lol* I hear ya about the winter analogy....It's even worst in Newfoundland! There is no doubt in my mind that by September, dealers will have a generous supplies of TLX with their accessories (i.e bodykits).

Its funny you mentioned the 2015 BMW X3 because I also share your view on the X3 as a whole. Its a nice rig and although I think I slightly give the edge to the 2014 model, this MMC is still very decent. It's their bland interior that just gets me though....
Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I see Q50's all over the place here in the DFW area. I think in November and December they sold something like 10,000 of them. It's got issues, but it was still selling. I think sales dipped to around 3000 in January, but I don't know if that was because January is usually a slow month, they withdrew incentives or what.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by ostrich

The steer by wire (DAS) system is not a standard feature, but it does come on the higher trim, Sport, and Hybrid. But to get a Q50 the way I'd want it, it would come with the DAS and I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole right now. I think they will figure it out at some point, but issues are still coming up. New software releases have made some system break that weren't. Some owners have had all the steering computers replaced. What a cluster. But yet they still sell. I saw one at the car show and I really like the interior. The exterior is okay with me. But I won't take a chance that my car will not go where I want it. While that is rare, it does seem to happen. Infiniti better hope they figure this out before someone gets killed. I can't see how they continue to sell them. When Toyota had 'accelerator problems' it was national news. Infiniti better hope that doesn't happen to them. But as much as I don't like the idea of steer by wire, I think it will come to more cars in the future, maybe even Acura.

I saw a Q50 in the parking lot at work... it was a loaner.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The steer by wire (DAS) system is not a standard feature, but it does come on the higher trim, Sport, and Hybrid. But to get a Q50 the way I'd want it, it would come with the DAS and I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole right now. I think they will figure it out at some point, but issues are still coming up. New software releases have made some system break that weren't. Some owners have had all the steering computers replaced. What a cluster. But yet they still sell. I saw one at the car show and I really like the interior. The exterior is okay with me. But I won't take a chance that my car will not go where I want it. While that is rare, it does seem to happen. Infiniti better hope they figure this out before someone gets killed. I can't see how they continue to sell them. When Toyota had 'accelerator problems' it was national news. Infiniti better hope that doesn't happen to them. But as much as I don't like the idea of steer by wire, I think it will come to more cars in the future, maybe even Acura.

I saw a Q50 in the parking lot at work... it was a loaner.
Actually, steer-by-wire is standard on all Q50 variants. DAS adds the ability to allow the steering to self adjust for road surface variation and vibration as well as change the steering feel. The DAS felt terrible to me during my test drive and the steer-by-wire has been failing at an alarming rate with the mechanical linkage fail-safe not always kicking in as expected. Definitely not a car I would recommend at the moment.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I see Q50's all over the place...
All over the place....all over the road, that pretty much sums up the Q50

I know I am harsh, especially without never actually driven it, but its nice to poke fun at something other than the beak for a change eh?!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tlx all the way. seems like infiniti styling is turning more gaudy with every generation, throwing in curves wherever there's a free line or surface. loved the clean lines of the original fx's and g35's.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
TLX, if prototype production...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbide
tlx all the way. seems like infiniti styling is turning more gaudy with every generation, throwing in curves wherever there's a free line or surface. loved the clean lines of the original fx's and g35's.
I actually like some of the curves, I know some hated the M37, but I really enjoyed it liking the curves giving it a flowing sweeping look.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts
Fwiw I sat in the Q50 at the detroit auto show and really liked it. I still dont like some of the exterior lines but there is a certain upscale gravitas to the interior that seemed endearing.

But all of the development money they've spent on the rather ridiculous steering system is a double loss imo ... one is the psychological factor of a performance sedan having no permanent connection between man and the steering mechanism. And yeah, I'm aware that its only on the top trim but its still offered. Also that name, Q50. This was a massive screw up on Johan VanNyshens part (or however you spell it). Names, even if it's just some letters and numbers, have a value and worth.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am only sharing my opinion here and trust me, I am HUGE on being to entitled to my opinion so its with 150% that I respect yours....however, for me, the name of a vehicle has absolutely no bearing.

To put things in perspective....If I met a gorgeous blond who was 5'10, 120lbs, great smile, amazing eyes, was the sweetest person on earth, was an an amazing cook, made 200k a year and enjoyed sex as much as I do....but her name is "Arthemise".....Would I say, sorry babe....I'd love to have you in my life but your name is too funky and don't know what you stand for?

Again....This is just me though.....Now how the car looks and how its built.....Different story.

Last edited by weather; 03-05-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
It's a bad thing when the new model is not as good as the older model- that's what's going on with the Q50 .vs. G37.

I would pick a G hands down and possibly use that to compare with the new TLX. It's understood that the G will eventually go away and is an older design, but right now it's the best game in town for Infinity. You can get a G37 AWD for 34,450 MSRP while a RWD Q50 starts at 37,050. The G even has a better safety rating.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I am only sharing my opinion here and trust me, I am HUGE on being to entitled to my opinion so its with 150% that I respect yours....however, for me, the name of a vehicle has absolutely no bearing.

To put things in perspective....If I met a gorgeous blond who was 5'10, 120lbs, great smile, amazing eyes, was the sweetest person on earth, was an an amazing cook, made 200k a year and enjoyed sex as much as I do....but her name is "Arthemise".....Would I say, sorry babe....I'd love to have you in my life but your name is too funky and don't know what you stand for?

Again....This is just me though.....Now how the car looks and how its built.....Different story.
Do you have her number???

I think what he was trying to say was name recognition. Say your beautiful blond was named 'Cher' and was known as a singer and decided to change her name to 'Betty' she may find her album sales down. Or maybe a real world example... Prince changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol. After then trying to be known as 'the entertainer formally known as Prince' is now just called Prince again. He learned the value of name recognition.

In the case of a car, there aren't many cars with such solid name recognition... Mustang, '3-series', Beetle, S-Class, even Accord etc... not sure if the G series rates that high on the name recognition scale, but to get that sort of recognition requires years and years of having that name out there. The more they change names the less value it has. Can you imagine if Ford tried to change the name of Mustang, or GM changed "Corvette"? Look how much grief they got for just reshaping the rear lights.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
IMO the TLX looks much better
Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Rocket_man....555-callme

I do understand what you are saying but at some point, people make too much in a name. For example, people say that the RLX should have been called the Legend. Despite what they call it, I doubt that people would embrace the car more if it was associated with a name more familiar with them....For example, the Impala is an amazing car this year. I am not going to say that I am not going to buy the Impla because the last generation was bland and it sucked....I will base the car on what it looks and offers now.

I am not sure I am doing a good job at explaining myself *lol*
Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
They sold about 6K units so far this year. Haven't heard of mass Q50 crashes so not sure how big the SBW issue really is.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
It's a bad thing when the new model is not as good as the older model- that's what's going on with the Q50 .vs. G37.

I would pick a G hands down and possibly use that to compare with the new TLX. It's understood that the G will eventually go away and is an older design, but right now it's the best game in town for Infinity. You can get a G37 AWD for 34,450 MSRP while a RWD Q50 starts at 37,050. The G even has a better safety rating.
They sold something like 900 G's in February. Not too many people are agreeing with you. Bang-for-the-buck, you may be right, but I'd take the Q50 (one that works, preferably) over the aging G.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
They sold about 6K units so far this year. Haven't heard of mass Q50 crashes so not sure how big the SBW issue really is.
They were selling way better than that back in November/December. In November alone, they reported 6000 units sold. In December that went down to around 5000. I don't know if those lofty numbers were due to incentives or what. Maybe it's seasonal, but they were handily beating the IS in sales back in November/December, I think.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 03-07-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
They sold something like 900 G's in February. Not too many people are agreeing with you. Bang-for-the-buck, you may be right, but I'd take the Q50 (one that works, preferably) over the aging G.
Have to agree here. The Q50 is an evolution of the G, even if the car is disappointing, the Q50 appears to be better than the G.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have to agree w/ a lot of you guy in here and I own A 2008 G35 and a 2011 M37. The Q50 is different and I thought I was going to like that car but I hate the interior of that car. Now that car is just over priced and I don't see the younger generation buying them.

As far as the Q50 forums goes, I was like the 3rd person to sign up on there and I don't know what happen to that sight. Nothing is going on in there so if you want to learn more go to the G35driver dot com or myG37 doy com. Same engine and same transmission and those ppl can give you better knowledge on that car but most if them don't like the new design.

I for one will not continue on w/ infiniti when it comes time for a new car for me
Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
TLX pictures are still a prototype, not a production

I've had a Q50S for several months... beautiful car.... uber problems. DAS steering, and the inTouch system constantly failing. Cars been recalled 3x already

Of course, its an new model, my fault for grabbing a first production run
The following 2 users liked this post by BLACKURA_NY:
Acura_Dude (03-08-2014), BEAR-AvHistory (03-08-2014)