Acura TLX vs Cadillac CTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Acura TLX vs Cadillac CTS

Hey TLX crew - I have another rental car comparison!

I received a 2019 Cadillac CTS as a rental car last week, and wanted to share my thoughts & feelings on the Caddy CTS vs my Acura TLX (as well as experience with my other sports saloons).

My car: 2019 TLX Base
Note: Previous owner of an F30 BMW 328i (2.0T) & Audi A4 (2.0T)
Rental Car: 2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6

General thoughts, feelings & feedback (in no particular order):
  1. Man, can't justify how Caddy charges $55,000 for the car. I know that is their list but wow, what a poor value @ even $45k IMHO. Wouldn't pay over $40k new. No wonder they trade for $20k-$25k used just 2 years later with under 30k miles.
  2. The CTS interior quality was similar to my TLX.
    1. Cabin was quiet, leather was OK. Button placement & infotainment was idiotic, like a 7 year old designed it
    2. Infotainment graphics just as "old" looking as the TLX. Base price on it was $55k.
  3. CTS sheetmetal is superior to the TLX
  4. CTS curb appeal may be better than the TLX. Undecided at the moment.
  5. Handling felt similar to my 2.4 in sport mode. TLX cornered better.
  6. Acceleration was good, if I dropped the hammer it was a bit better then good, very linear unlike a turbo.
    1. I could probably hit 0-60 in the 5.5 seconds Caddy states, but it doesn't feel like it
    2. I wonder if the 3.6L V6 was/is closely related to my 1980's V6 GM product. Torque application seemed like it...
  7. Sunroof was same size. It has a 2nd glass area, which allows more light into the cabin (back)
  8. Backseats had the same amount of room
  9. CTS just felt bulkier. Not in an old-school Cadillac way, just heavier.
  10. CTS trunk was smaller
  11. They definitely compete head 2 head. The v6 TLX would compete better with this, but knowing the architecture of the car, the 2.0t Turbo version is about even or a bit inferior to my 2.4 TLX in a lot of ways, and I'd much prefer the TLX to the CTS given the price difference (of even the 2.0t). If prices were even, it would be a tougher decision (although I am not keep on the longterm ownership of a Gen 1 GM turbo engine)
Pictures below:

The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A 640 hp engine would change your opinion of the CTS LOL. You drove a Luxury (lower tier) CTS. The Platinum level (equivalent to Acura’s Advance level) has a better interior and more features. Otherwise, I agree with your assessment. I could have leased/bought the current gen CTS but chose a TLX instead, that tells you where my mind is currently.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
9SpeedTran (07-15-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (07-15-2019), teh CL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Beached
General thoughts, feelings & feedback (in no particular order):
  1. Man, can't justify how Caddy charges $55,000 for the car. I know that is their list but wow, what a poor value @ even $45k IMHO. Wouldn't pay over $40k new. No wonder they trade for $20k-$25k used just 2 years later with under 30k miles.
  2. The CTS interior quality was similar to my TLX.
    1. Cabin was quiet, leather was OK. Button placement & infotainment was idiotic, like a 7 year old designed it
    2. Infotainment graphics just as "old" looking as the TLX. Base price on it was $55k.
  3. CTS sheetmetal is superior to the TLX
  4. CTS curb appeal may be better than the TLX. Undecided at the moment.
  5. Handling felt similar to my 2.4 in sport mode. TLX cornered better.
  6. Acceleration was good, if I dropped the hammer it was a bit better then good, very linear unlike a turbo.
    1. I could probably hit 0-60 in the 5.5 seconds Caddy states, but it doesn't feel like it
    2. I wonder if the 3.6L V6 was/is closely related to my 1980's V6 GM product. Torque application seemed like it...
  7. Sunroof was same size. It has a 2nd glass area, which allows more light into the cabin (back)
  8. Backseats had the same amount of room
  9. CTS just felt bulkier. Not in an old-school Cadillac way, just heavier.
  10. CTS trunk was smaller
  11. They definitely compete head 2 head. The v6 TLX would compete better with this, but knowing the architecture of the car, the 2.0t Turbo version is about even or a bit inferior to my 2.4 TLX in a lot of ways, and I'd much prefer the TLX to the CTS given the price difference (of even the 2.0t). If prices were even, it would be a tougher decision (although I am not keep on the longterm ownership of a Gen 1 GM turbo engine)
Good review. Thanks for sharing. I've started to notice these Caddies around town They are no doubt gorgeous - I mean honestly, exterior styling wise, up there with the Euros, Infiniti, Lexus and Acura. I just have a hard time buying Caddy or any American for many of your reasons above and my ownership experiences.
  1. Man, can't justify how Caddy charges $55,000 for the car. I know that is their list but wow, what a poor value @ even $45k IMHO. Wouldn't pay over $40k new. No wonder they trade for $20k-$25k used just 2 years later with under 30k miles. Big time. Someone can check out Edmunds or something to verify this, but GM seems to be, by far, the biggest first three year depreciation of any car maker. I think it's for a couple reasons: a) they mass produce meaning any of their used models are a dime a dozen in whatever color and package you want b) they sell and lease a lot of cars with deep incentives, through fleet and small business owners, which further saturates the used market after 2-3 years.
  2. The CTS interior quality was similar to my TLX. I'm surprised. I wonder how it will hold up over time.
    1. Cabin was quiet, leather was OK. Button placement & infotainment was idiotic, like a 7 year old designed it Dating as far back as I can recall, GM, their dash boards and specifically their Delco electronics looked beyond cheap, convoluted and buttons/knobs constantly break or fall off. I've ridden in old and new Corvettes, brand new La Crosses, a '90s Riviera and Sedan Devilles ranging from '85 to '05. The radio/HVAC/nav controls, every single car, are so completely inferior to what otherwise comes across as a great first impression. I had no idea how big a deal knobs and buttons are until riding in GM cars.
  3. CTS curb appeal may be better than the TLX. Undecided at the moment. I agree. Looks great. Possibly better than anything else on the road besides Audi.
    1. I could probably hit 0-60 in the 5.5 seconds Caddy states, but it doesn't feel like it My TLX V6 is the opposite - slower than this, but feels faster.
    2. I wonder if the 3.6L V6 was/is closely related to my 1980's V6 GM product. Torque application seemed like it GM has been making V6s since the dawn of time and is well versed in performance/racing/motorsports/tuning. I would hope to the heavens that they can and would do better in their performance sedan market than the power delivery from 30 years ago. I'm sure whatever V6, 3800 (one of the most highly regarded engines they ever made - and my supercharged one was an absolute blast to drive) or whatever they make improves power delivery over time.
  5. CTS just felt bulkier. Not in an old-school Cadillac way, just heavier. I think Caddy and their owners like it this way. To me, it seems higher quality. That's why I've always said these Caddies and Buicks feel like you're driving a Barcalounger.
  6. They definitely compete head 2 head. The v6 TLX would compete better with this, but knowing the architecture of the car, the 2.0t Turbo version is about even or a bit inferior to my 2.4 TLX in a lot of ways, and I'd much prefer the TLX to the CTS given the price difference (of even the 2.0t). If prices were even, it would be a tougher decision (although I am not keep on the longterm ownership of a Gen 1 GM turbo engine) I never gave the CTS a look mostly because, in true GM fashion, the first gen was plagued with quality/reliability issues. I believe the CTS rated at or near the bottom in the class in that regard. You can go to Edmunds and read much of this for yourself. I know they've improved, but 80s-00s GM vehicles we're unimpressive regarding both rebadging and reliability. That Riviera I owned, which was plush, fast and beautiful, also started costing an arm and a leg after like 70k miles. An accessory here or an engine component there would be $200-300 every couple months.

Last edited by someguy11; 07-15-2019 at 07:14 AM.
9SpeedTran (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Everybody is entitled to their opinion...

The CTS interior is miles ahead of the TLX, it is so evident even in the pics provided by the OP related to the specimen he rented....so is the new CUE system, including graphics.

Handling and steering?? Not even close....the CTS is on another planet.

The CTS is a true sport sedan...the TLX it is not.

The GM V6 is currently one of the best in the market.

I cannot think on a single aspect where the TLX would be superior...maybe trunk size and that's it.

The CTS is a screaming deal to buy off lease because of the heavy depreciation...even at the moment if bought new there are a lot of incentive dollars on the hood.

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 07-15-2019 at 09:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
Comfy (07-19-2019), silverTL6 (07-16-2019), ZiginTex (08-20-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
As to the comments a couple post above on reliability, my second gen CTS (manual V wagon ) has been reasonably reliable. The only major problem I had was premature rust, which was repaired under warranty. Had door handles stop working. That's about it. I don't know about the third gen CTS, but the General is slowly improving in the reliability department in my experience. Hondacura is, unfortunately, going the other way, again in my personal experience.

Edit: In any case, I am more a "V-series" person (I've owned two) than a "Cadillac" person.

Last edited by neuronbob; 07-15-2019 at 10:04 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-15-2019), F23A4 (07-16-2019), teh CL (07-22-2019), ZiginTex (08-20-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
As to the comments a couple post above on reliability, my second gen CTS (manual V wagon ) has been reasonably reliable. The only major problem I had was premature rust, which was repaired under warranty. Had door handles stop working. That's about it. I don't know about the third gen CTS, but the General is slowly improving in the reliability department in my experience. Hondacura is, unfortunately, going the other way, again in my personal experience.

Edit: In any case, I am more a "V-series" person (I've owned two) than a "Cadillac" person.
Agree the V series is not your typical Cadillac. Also back in the dim dark past owned two as a young executive. 1977 Coupe DeVille & 1984 Fleetwood Brougham. Nice long range cruisers but not cars you would want to drive on the Pacific Coast Highway. Not a fan of the current angular styling but would really like to see the new Twin Turbo BlackWing 4.2L DOHC V8 @ 550bhp & 627ftlb get a run at the Ring. Back around 2011/12 the old V held the big 4 door car record with a sub 8 minute run till it lost it to the BMW M5. Be nice to see a USA car back in the game.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree the V series is not your typical Cadillac. Also back in the dim dark past owned two as a young executive. 1977 Coupe DeVille & 1984 Fleetwood Brougham. Nice long range cruisers but not cars you would want to drive on the Pacific Coast Highway. Not a fan of the current angular styling but would really like to see the new Twin Turbo BlackWing 4.2L DOHC V8 @ 550bhp & 627ftlb get a run at the Ring. Back around 2011/12 the old V held the big 4 door car record with a sub 8 minute run till it lost it to the BMW M5. Be nice to see a USA car back in the game.

Even the regular CTS is a blast to drive...and I'm saying this as a V owner....no comparison with a TLX...not even close...
The following 2 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
silverTL6 (07-16-2019), ZiginTex (08-20-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
Even the regular CTS is a blast to drive...and I'm saying this as a V owner....no comparison with a TLX...not even close...
Can't comment, have never driven or even sat in a CTS. Just a spec racer with Caddy. There is a specialty Tuner here that does Corvette, Camaro & V. They let me run my dyno tests there out of curiosity I guess & many times a Caddy V is in the shop getting an upgrade. Seems like there is a pretty active aftermarket for the car.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:43 PM
Racer

Can't comment, have never driven or even sat in a CTS. Just a spec racer with Caddy. There is a specialty Tuner here that does Corvette, Camaro & V. They let me run my dyno tests there out of curiosity I guess & many times a Caddy V is in the shop getting an upgrade. Seems like there is a pretty active aftermarket for the car.
I had a rental CTS 3.6 couple of times and I test drove a V-Sport.....and it was so fun to drive...the steering is almost "telepathic"...I fell in love with it and that is when I started considering the V as my next ride....
Nothing to do with the Cadillac of yore.....from performance to fit and finish.....

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 07-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.
ZiginTex (08-20-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
When I was looking for a new car back in 2014 were the Q50 and the ATS because I kept waiting for the TLX to come out and they delayed it at least one or two times (maybe for the transmission... lol). Unfortunately both the Q50 and ATS had issues when they first came out that made me wait. Cadillac reliability has always made me wary, but the latest generation's design language has always appealed to me. I love it. I think they softened up the ATS, so I'm not as big a fan of that, but I do still love the CTS.

All that being said, I'd take the interior and exterior of the CTS over the TLX. Nobody ever pays close to retail for Caddys (at least I hope not). I remember they used to have rebates and promotions on them all the time back when I was looking. I'm not sure whether they still discount like that anymore, but deals are probably still out there. I don't know what the pricing would be on those Cadillacs or how much they'd get bumped up, but they have soooo many options that are fantasies for Acura at the moment. Digital dash/reconfigurable gauges, myriad of colors and interiors, multiple engine choices including twin turbo, magnetic ride control, heads-up display, etc. I'm still willing to bet the level above the one you drove could be had way lower than the sticker price.

And lastly, like I said, if I'm looking at a TLX, I'd probably be comparing it with an ATS. Where the ATS really lost out there back when I was looking at it was a cramped rear seat. If you don't have a big family or taller people sitting back there, you'd be alright. I'll definitely be considering something like a CTS/CT6 as my next car if they prove to be reliable.
ZiginTex (08-20-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Thanks! Great review/comparison!!!

Caddys are ugly AF to me and the TLX is probably the best looking new car out there IMO, but I like vanilla cars that perform decently well, so......
Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I’ve attended a couple of Cadillac Truth Dare events and had a few takeaways:

- The brand in general is as attractive to me as it’s ever been, and has come a long way

- Material quality is higher than I’d anticipated

- Both the Cadillac ATS-V and CTS-V are cars that I would love to own; prospective M3/C63 and M5/E63 buyers should definitely cross-shop the Vs before finalizing their buying decision

- The ATS-V and CTS-V are the only Caddys I’d want to own

- The CTS-V is a beast and the ATS-V has a very well tuned chassis

- Cadillac’s comparable offerings didn’t cause me to lament my TLX/MDX ownership
The following 4 users liked this post by F23A4:
9SpeedTran (07-16-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (07-17-2019), neuronbob (07-16-2019), teh CL (07-22-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 AM
Greg

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The CTS interior is miles ahead of the TLX, it is so evident even in the pics provided by the OP related to the specimen he rented....so is the new CUE system, including graphics.

I cannot think on a single aspect where the TLX would be superior...maybe trunk size and that's it.
I agree that the OP is heavily biased. No professional opinion has favored the TLX over much of anything. CTS is one of the best handling luxury sedans, TLX is not in the same league.

Acura would be more reliable.
ZiginTex (08-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Advanced

Appreciate your our opinion but believe me, no bias, just MY honest opinion. Everyone will have their own.

I’m 4 months into my TLX, and have years of experience owning the German luxury saloon equivalents...

The Cadillac in no way handles better than the 2.4L TLX. Maybe it handles better than the V6 version, but there is not real appreciable difference in the handling. The steering is more vague, and slightly less connected.

The interior, although photographs and initial quality looks nicer, is plagued by plastic bits and bobs just like the TLX. Now, it does feel more premium when you first experience it. The leather is nicer, but seats are stiffer. Infotainment is horrid, and the screen collects fingerprints like I’ve never seen, blocking the view and use.

If this was a head to head and price was the same (as the TLX v6), it would be tough to call IMHO, but the sticker was $55,000.

As stated, I listed the pros and cons factoring in the price, which is a key data point in generating my opinion.

My my opinion stands.

Originally Posted by gregwils
I agree that the OP is heavily biased. No professional opinion has favored the TLX over much of anything. CTS is one of the best handling luxury sedans, TLX is not in the same league.

Acura would be more reliable.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Racer

Appreciate your our opinion but believe me, no bias, just MY honest opinion. Everyone will have their own.

I’m 4 months into my TLX, and have years of experience owning the German luxury saloon equivalents...

The Cadillac in no way handles better than the 2.4L TLX. Maybe it handles better than the V6 version, but there is not real appreciable difference in the handling. The steering is more vague, and slightly less connected.

The interior, although photographs and initial quality looks nicer, is plagued by plastic bits and bobs just like the TLX. Now, it does feel more premium when you first experience it. The leather is nicer, but seats are stiffer. Infotainment is horrid, and the screen collects fingerprints like I’ve never seen, blocking the view and use.

If this was a head to head and price was the same (as the TLX v6), it would be tough to call IMHO, but the sticker was $55,000.

As stated, I listed the pros and cons factoring in the price, which is a key data point in generating my opinion.

My my opinion stands.
...quite the opinion...

Whaaaat???!!! Sure......... ......the CTS steering is basically the best in class.....

I bet the TLX leaves the Alfa Romeo Giulia in the dust in the twisties as well.....ehehehe

I'm waiting for a TLX-S Class comparison any time now.....
BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2019), ZiginTex (08-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Love the enthusiasm lol

No S class comparison here, just the CTS. Won’t compare it to the Ferrari’s or exotics I’ve been in either. Just my $.02 on the rental car I got to drive last week.

Btw, which version(s) of the CTS have you driven? Wondering if my rental spec was an entry level version.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 AM
Racer

Love the enthusiasm lol

No S class comparison here, just the CTS. Won’t compare it to the Ferrari’s or exotics I’ve been in either. Just my $.02 on the rental car I got to drive last week.

Btw, which version(s) of the CTS have you driven? Wondering if my rental spec was an entry level version.
I own a V, I rented the 3.6 couple of times and tested the V-Sport with the twin turbo V6....leaving the V and the V-Sport aside, obviously, even the 3.6 is on another level compared to the TLX...just my opinion...
Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Suzuka Master

2020 Corvette mid engine C8 was shown tonight in a live stream, main takeaway 2.9 sec 0-60 under $60,000 base.

NSX The 2019 Acura NSX has a $20,000 discount off whatever price you can negotiate. Good through 3/31/2020. Guys are claiming as much as $40,000 off MSRP. Source Motor Trend.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-19-2019 at 04:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
Beached (07-19-2019), someguy11 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:36 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

I own a V, I rented the 3.6 couple of times and tested the V-Sport with the twin turbo V6....leaving the V and the V-Sport aside, obviously, even the 3.6 is on another level compared to the TLX...just my opinion...
I shouldn't have waded into this pool with nothing but my experience owning a supercharged 95 Riviera and driving/riding in multiple Caddies, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Chevys in my life. I'm sure things at GM have changed.

As discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on this forum, value is really where the TLX shines. Acura may claim it competes with other luxury sedans, but it really doesn't. Not the CTS, A4, C or 3. Maybe the Q. It doesn't really have a direct Lexus competitor, falling somewhere between the IS, ES and GS.

But the price shows. You can get a 2.4 Tech for what, around $30k? That's a nice and well equipped car. That is sort of in the ballpark of the base A class and A3, which are smaller and have fewer creature comforts. Most critics say those are better cars for the money, but I would disagree. I'd take the larger, more loaded TLX over a tiny base model entry level luxury sedan.

The fully loaded V6 AWD Aspec and Advance run at $45k? I mean, my car has/does everything imaginable except HUD, auto high beams and polishing my shoes. Surfing the Caddy website, the ATS base 2.0T starts at $48k and the Premium Luxury AWD runs at $63k. For a whopping $18k over the TLX Advance, I would hope "the 3.6 is on another level."
The following 3 users liked this post by someguy11:
9SpeedTran (07-19-2019), Beached (07-19-2019), fiatlux (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced

Looks amazing, I see a lot of the Ferrari 360/430 in this. Best value sports car for sure.

NSX, good luck with the hybrid system and all the trickery in 20 years. Think they missed the boat big time: we just wanted a modern version of the old one, reliable super car we could stretch and get, without the $2,000 oil changes etc.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:52 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts

The CTS is a screaming deal to buy off lease because of the heavy depreciation...even at the moment if bought new there are a lot of incentive dollars on the hood.
Agree with you on most points.
I tend to think that American cars do have their virtues and the Cadillac is one of the cars where it shines.
There is no way a FWD car is going to handle and corner better than a RWD sport sedan. The physics doesn’t change however way you put it.
Like most of us, the OP bought a car he liked most based on his driving / lifestyle and therefore anything that differs from that experience will feel with subpar (or expensive or both) to it.
You can have a similar argument the other way round with the TLX vs Accord sport, but lets not go that route.
From the provided pictures the CTS looks gorgeous to me.
But as you said everyone is entitled to their opinion and if the TLX feels superior and a better buy to you (OP) ... well, more power to you.

Last edited by Comfy; 07-19-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Beached (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by someguy11
As discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on this forum, value is really where the TLX shines.
Not in my opinion until we have Kia Stinger, Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, Ford Fusion Sport around.....not to mention the Mazda 6....

Heck this weekend in Santa Barbara I'm renting an Impala, you can get a fully loaded top of the line Premier V6 today in the low 30s with end of production discount.....7 Series space at bargain basement price, quiet as a tomb, smooth and actually surprisingly agile given the mass and equally surprisingly well finished considering the price...faux leather with contrast stitching dashboard and upper door panels....talking about value.....

I would have hard time buying a TLX over an Accord Touring....

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 07-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Racer

2020 Corvette mid engine C8 was shown tonight in a live stream, main takeaway 2.9 sec 0-60 under $60,000 base.

NSX The 2019 Acura NSX has a $20,000 discount off whatever price you can negotiate. Good through 3/31/2020. Guys are claiming as much as $40,000 off MSRP. Source Motor Trend.

Well, that's value!!! LOL
The following 4 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
Beached (07-19-2019), Comfy (07-21-2019), someguy11 (07-20-2019), teh CL (07-22-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

I shouldn't have waded into this pool with nothing but my experience owning a supercharged 95 Riviera and driving/riding in multiple Caddies, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Chevys in my life. I'm sure things at GM have changed.

As discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on this forum, value is really where the TLX shines. Acura may claim it competes with other luxury sedans, but it really doesn't. Not the CTS, A4, C or 3. Maybe the Q. It doesn't really have a direct Lexus competitor, falling somewhere between the IS, ES and GS.

But the price shows. You can get a 2.4 Tech for what, around $30k? That's a nice and well equipped car. That is sort of in the ballpark of the base A class and A3, which are smaller and have fewer creature comforts. Most critics say those are better cars for the money, but I would disagree. I'd take the larger, more loaded TLX over a tiny base model entry level luxury sedan.

The fully loaded V6 AWD Aspec and Advance run at $45k? I mean, my car has/does everything imaginable except HUD, auto high beams and polishing my shoes. Surfing the Caddy website, the ATS base 2.0T starts at $48k and the Premium Luxury AWD runs at $63k. For a whopping $18k over the TLX Advance, I would hope "the 3.6 is on another level."
well stated.

I didn’t realize the starting price of both the ATS and CTS was that high. Coupled with a 50% depreciation in the first three years, seems they may present a decent used car value.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
Beached (07-19-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (07-21-2019), someguy11 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by F23A4
well stated.

I didn’t realize the starting price of both the ATS and CTS was that high. Coupled with a 50% depreciation in the first three years, seems they may present a decent used car value.
I doubt anybody's paying MSRP for those things, and even then, if you want to buy used, it's probably going to be a good time since they've both been discontinued. They're being replaced by the CT4 and CT5, I believe.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:36 AM
Greg

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My my opinion stands.
I should have written my statement more clearly. I didn't intend to suggest that you were deliberately biased. However, after having made a recent decision to purchase the TLX, it would be difficult for anyone to be independent. I have found myself in similar situations where the car that I bought was rated worse than a competitor. I only intended to suggest that the majority of professional, independent opinions come to a different conclusion than you. Only your opinion matters when you are spending your money, so I would say that you bought the correct car.
The following 2 users liked this post by gregwils:
Beached (07-21-2019), Comfy (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:36 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
well stated.

I recently read a report that stated the new replacement for CTS (or ATS) called the CT-5 starts with a way low base price in 4 cylinder version. Apparently it is cheaper than the ATS base price which makes it a compelling option against TLX. They seem to be comparing CT 5 to C Class, 3 series, and Audi A4, but stated it was cheaper and bigger car than all. I’m not sure about the dimensions of the car but it seems somewhere in between the ATS and CTS territory. We may have to wait a few months to know more about it, but those in the market for TLX in 2020 will have great options to choose from.
Beached (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Appreciate it Greg. The value proposition is always important, to me at least. I need the love the car and like the price. I’ve had an A4 and BMW 328i, and the TLX is my 3rd rodeo in the sport saloon arena.

Upon further reflection, the CTS did have more merits than my initial reaction to it - but totally not for nearly double the sticker price ($33k vs $55k).

My last rental was of the Volvo S60, something I really enjoyed. The CTS was nice and all, but nothing to write home about outside of the great exterior looks, IMHO.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by gregwils
I should have written my statement more clearly. I didn't intend to suggest that you were deliberately biased. However, after having made a recent decision to purchase the TLX, it would be difficult for anyone to be independent. I have found myself in similar situations where the car that I bought was rated worse than a competitor. I only intended to suggest that the majority of professional, independent opinions come to a different conclusion than you. Only your opinion matters when you are spending your money, so I would say that you bought the correct car.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Appreciate it Greg. The value proposition is always important, to me at least. I need the love the car and like the price. I’ve had an A4 and BMW 328i, and the TLX is my 3rd rodeo in the sport saloon arena.

Upon further reflection, the CTS did have more merits than my initial reaction to it - but totally not for nearly double the sticker price ($33k vs $55k).

My last rental was of the Volvo S60, something I really enjoyed. The CTS was nice and all, but nothing to write home about outside of the great exterior looks, IMHO.

Cheers.

Running the risk of digression, was that a P3 or SPA S60? I looked at the P3 T6 R-Design AWD before deciding on a return to the TLX.
Beached (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 AM
Advanced

T6 r

Originally Posted by f23a4
running the risk of digression, was that a p3 or spa s60? I looked at the p3 t6 r-design awd before deciding on a return to the tlx.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Comfy
I recently read a report that stated the new replacement for CTS (or ATS) called the CT-5 starts with a way low base price in 4 cylinder version. Apparently it is cheaper than the ATS base price which makes it a compelling option against TLX. They seem to be comparing CT 5 to C Class, 3 series, and Audi A4, but stated it was cheaper and bigger car than all. I’m not sure about the dimensions of the car but it seems somewhere in between the ATS and CTS territory. We may have to wait a few months to know more about it, but those in the market for TLX in 2020 will have great options to choose from.
I believe the ATS replacement is the CT4 and the CTS replacement is the CT5, but agreed there'll be options. I think the CT5 is going to start under $38k, but that's for the 2.0T engine. However, I've read that model actually has more standard equipment than the lowest-run CTS does now. The price'll go up from there all the way to the 2 V models (no V-Sport, as I understand it).
Old 08-20-2019, 10:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a 2013 Infiniti G37 sedan that I was quite fond of but unfortunately just got totalled because a lady without a valid license decided to make an illegal left turn (going wrong way on 1-way street) right in front of my car. So I needed a new used car. Was looking for 2016 or newer small/mid-size sport/luxury sedan to replace it. Wanted to avoid German cars because of concern about maintenance cost/reliability(have had bad experience) as they get up in miles. Wanted something luxurious, comfortable on long road trips, fun to drive, reliable, AWD or RWD,and to stay below $35. I figure if I can get luxury sport sedan for roughly price of loaded Accord I can tell myself I made a sensible choice. I considered:

Genesis G80 (G70 with TT6 was above my target price) - the base G80 was really nice but driving it felt too big/floaty. I liked the Sport with TT6 but because they only made it last year or 2 even the used ones were more than I wanted to spend.
Kia Stinger- I really liked the GT1 TT6 (drove great, nicely equipped, checked all the boxes) but it was more than I was looking to spend. If I could have waited another year or 2 probably could have gotten used 1 in my price range. The 4 cylinder didn't excite me and bottom-tier GT interior was weak (small screen, lousy stereo).
Lexus GS 350 F-Sport- really nice, drove well, great reliability. Did everything I wanted and would have been happy with it. Runner up.
Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD. This is a fine car and I really wanted to like it. We own a '19 RDX which is fantastic and I have always thought highly of Honda/Acura. But the TLX just seemed a class below everything else I drove. Maybe it is because I know how much nicer the RDX interior is but this isn't a luxury car- it just felt cheap and dated. Accelerated and handled well but didn't feel like a sports sedan. Other than SH-AWD I probably prefer the Accord. The Type S concept looks great and maybe that will be my next car, but this generation was done before it even began.

The reason why I posted this in this thread is because the car I ended up picking was the Cadillac CTS. And reading this forum- and this thread- actually helped prompt me to check out the CTS. I got a 2016 CTS VSport Premium. TT6, superb handling, all the driver tech, luxurious interior (I get it's not an E-Class but what is?), and great styling. Only had it for a few days so far. A couple hiccups from dealer that should be able to work through but is beautiful and amazing car. I drove the T4 and V6 also and I think the Caddy 4 gets bad rap. It was plenty peppy, much better than Lexus or Genesis 4. I wanted the upgraded suspension and some of the other features that aren't on the base engine but I honestly wasn't that impressed with the V6. It was fine but I liked Lexus V6 and TLX V6 engines better. So I checked out the VSport with the TT6 and was instantly sold. And because they depreciate like crazy got it CPO within my budget so have it under warranty for another 60,000 miles. And I owe it to y'all. So thank you.
The following 5 users liked this post by ZiginTex:
Beached (08-21-2019), Comfy (08-21-2019), neuronbob (08-21-2019), silverTL6 (08-23-2019), someguy11 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZiginTex
The reason why I posted this in this thread is because the car I ended up picking was the Cadillac CTS. And reading this forum- and this thread- actually helped prompt me to check out the CTS. I got a 2016 CTS VSport Premium. TT6, superb handling, all the driver tech, luxurious interior (I get it's not an E-Class but what is?), and great styling. Only had it for a few days so far. A couple hiccups from dealer that should be able to work through but is beautiful and amazing car. I drove the T4 and V6 also and I think the Caddy 4 gets bad rap. It was plenty peppy, much better than Lexus or Genesis 4. I wanted the upgraded suspension and some of the other features that aren't on the base engine but I honestly wasn't that impressed with the V6. It was fine but I liked Lexus V6 and TLX V6 engines better. So I checked out the VSport with the TT6 and was instantly sold. And because they depreciate like crazy got it CPO within my budget so have it under warranty for another 60,000 miles. And I owe it to y'all. So thank you.
An off-lease CTS V-Sport is basically one of the best buy right now...basement price and an incredibly capable sport sedan. If you get a top of the line trim (virtual cockpit, etc..) its interior are not that far from the Germans, Mercedes included.
Congratulation on your new car.
Beached (08-21-2019), ZiginTex (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:35 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

I had a 2013 Infiniti G37 sedan that I was quite fond of but unfortunately just got totalled because a lady without a valid license decided to make an illegal left turn (going wrong way on 1-way street) right in front of my car. So I needed a new used car. Was looking for 2016 or newer small/mid-size sport/luxury sedan to replace it. Wanted to avoid German cars because of concern about maintenance cost/reliability(have had bad experience) as they get up in miles. Wanted something luxurious, comfortable on long road trips, fun to drive, reliable, AWD or RWD,and to stay below $35. I figure if I can get luxury sport sedan for roughly price of loaded Accord I can tell myself I made a sensible choice. I considered:

So thank you.
Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you found a suitable replacement. Thank you for the high quality comparo summary and congrats on your new ride!

Curious what sort of TLX you drove as in year and trim. A '16 SH-AWD Tech should run around $22k right now, far less than your budget. For $35k, you could find a fully loaded '18 SH-AWD Advance or Aspec with around 10k miles. '18 and '19 is an improvement in every way over the '15-17 regarding exterior appearance, interior design, technology (like CarPlay) and better ZF9 tranny performance. IMO, a '16 was dead in the water for your search, but an '18 might have hung in with the others (as long as it didn't have the expressway vibration).
Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you found a suitable replacement. Thank you for the high quality comparo summary and congrats on your new ride!

Curious what sort of TLX you drove as in year and trim. A '16 SH-AWD Tech should run around $22k right now, far less than your budget. For $35k, you could find a fully loaded '18 SH-AWD Advance or Aspec with around 10k miles. '18 and '19 is an improvement in every way over the '15-17 regarding exterior appearance, interior design, technology (like CarPlay) and better ZF9 tranny performance. IMO, a '16 was dead in the water for your search, but an '18 might have hung in with the others (as long as it didn't have the expressway vibration).
Thanks. I drove a 16 and you are right it was low $20s which was roughly the same price as the CTS with the turbo 4. The Aspec likely would have made better impression but the ones available in the area were close to $40k. I would have stretched my budget if I wasn't happy with the cars in my price range, but since I was able to find GS 350 F Sport and CTS Vsport Premium for less than that I didn't test drive Aspec (I have driven one in the past).
Beached (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 AM
Cruisin'

An off-lease CTS V-Sport is basically one of the best buy right now...basement price and an incredibly capable sport sedan. If you get a top of the line trim (virtual cockpit, etc..) its interior are not that far from the Germans, Mercedes included.
Congratulation on your new car.
Thanks. Car is 1 owner off lease. Has the Premium package with virtual cockpit, carbon fiber trim, etc.. I understand the original $70k+ price was a tough sell but for low-mid $30s CPO seems like great deal.
Beached (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Good morning,

Beached said: No wonder they trade for $20k-$25k used just 2 years later with under 30k miles.

I am the owner of a 2016 TLX SH-AWD Elite With the A-spec kit and 19 Inches Diamond wheels and got it appraised yesterday at the dealer.

The car only have 12 500 KM so about 7900 Miles and the appraisal was 25K in Canadian $. For a car that was paid over 52K Canadian $ a drop of over 50% in 2 1/2 years is HORRIBLE.

So when people are talking about resale value, Acura is one of the worst one in the luxury brand.

So it was my first and last Acura in my life time.....

Mickey
Beached (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym
Good morning,

Beached said: No wonder they trade for $20k-$25k used just 2 years later with under 30k miles.

I am the owner of a 2016 TLX SH-AWD Elite With the A-spec kit and 19 Inches Diamond wheels and got it appraised yesterday at the dealer.

The car only have 12 500 KM so about 7900 Miles and the appraisal was 25K in Canadian $. For a car that was paid over 52K Canadian $ a drop of over 50% in 2 1/2 years is HORRIBLE.

So when people are talking about resale value, Acura is one of the worst one in the luxury brand.

So it was my first and last Acura in my life time.....

Mickey
It's not so much Acura, but this specific car at this specific point in time. Historically, Acuras, hold their value better than the Europeans and close to Lexus, but...
1) Nobody is buying sedans anymore, everyone is buying SUVs and CUVs
2) The new Acccord is arguably a better car than the current TLX unless you absolutely need AWD
3) The TLX has been plagued by complaints about the ZF9 transmission, and that scares away prospective buyers.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-21-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Beached (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Racer

Thanks. Car is 1 owner off lease. Has the Premium package with virtual cockpit, carbon fiber trim, etc.. I understand the original $70k+ price was a tough sell but for low-mid $30s CPO seems like great deal.

It was a tough sale because of Cadillac brand power being not as equal as the Germans (in particular BMW and Mercedes) but the CTS is as every bit as good as these, actually a quite better sport sedan than the F10 5 Series or the W212 E Class.

The only better buy (financially) than an off lease CTS V-Sport is an off-lease Maserati Ghibli S Q4 as these depreciate horribly but you still have to deal with Maserati service costs.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Racer

Even in A-Spec trim the TLX is not comparable to a GS350, a Genesis G80 or a CTS...down on performance, tech and quality.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX vs Cadillac CTS