Acura TLX V6 Under Stop Sale and Recall Notice (transmission problem)?

Old 12-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ While I agree that it is not cause for doom and gloom, Fred does raise a good point that Acura seems to have more problem than in the past....Sure, there are worse companies out there but still, it is a bit worrisome.

Someone that I trust and respect incredibly in the car business even told me that some associated with dealers are noticing a change and are concerned....sure, they will never admit it openly for fear of reprisal.

I am still confident that Acura will get their stuff sorted out but I still think Fred is on to something here....and I am not trying to bash Acura, just stating what I perceive as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ While I agree that it is not cause for doom and gloom, Fred does raise a good point that Acura seems to have more problem than in the past....Sure, there are worse companies out there but still, it is a bit worrisome.

Someone that I trust and respect incredibly in the car business even told me that some associated with dealers are noticing a change and are concerned....sure, they will never admit it openly for fear of reprisal.

I am still confident that Acura will get their stuff sorted out but I still think Fred is on to something here....and I am not trying to bash Acura, just stating what I perceive as well.
I respectfully disagree that they have more than most. We just talk about them more.

The "park/Non park" is an issue but difficult to quantify.

Go to this site and check most any 2014 car and there is usually one or more items Vehicle Owners | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I wasn't trying to imply that Acura has more problem than other brands, but rather, saying that they seem to have more problems than previous generations. I apologize for not being as clear as I should have been.

Even some guys that at Acura dealerships have told me, in confidence, that they are a bit concerned by some initial quality issues. Again, NO WHERE NEAR AS BAD AS OTHER BRANDS Just compared to the impeccable track record Acura has built....maybe this forums highlights more of the issues but I don't recall so many problems when the 2009 TSX or TL came out.....I could be wrong though.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (12-13-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think it appears as if they are having more problems than in past years but I also think they are more sensitive to the potential backlash of anything going wrong. Thus, things that would have been handled with a TSB in the past, are now rolled into a full blown recall.

People also have short memories. I remember a stop sale order on the 2004 TSX for cracked automatic transmission cases. I remember a TSB for interior lights that failed, the repair required replacing the radio (of all things). Didn't this generation also have a stop sale or bulletin for leaking power steering hoses? I remember the 2G MDX had one around the same time.

Last edited by Colin; 12-12-2014 at 09:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
Stew4HD (12-13-2014), Tonyware (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like an erroneous or understated root cause analysis of the problem. "Contamination" ? Let me put it simply: how could contamination cause a catastrophic failure of a brand new transmission unless it was some kind of massive contamination? Furthermore, one has to ask how did/does this contamination occur in the manufacturing process?! Sounds to me like no design and/or process failure mode and effects analyses were performed. This, along with the other recent recalls and still unaddressed rear suspension defect in the rlx, suggests that design and manufacturing engineering at acura and its suppliers is off the rails and management is either unaware of this or is minimizing the seriousness of this organizational deficiency and mismanagement.
The brand is rapidly losing what little credibility remains.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mgalbr22
Sounds like an erroneous or understated root cause analysis of the problem. "Contamination" ? Let me put it simply: how could contamination cause a catastrophic failure of a brand new transmission unless it was some kind of massive contamination? Furthermore, one has to ask how did/does this contamination occur in the manufacturing process?! Sounds to me like no design and/or process failure mode and effects analyses were performed. This, along with the other recent recalls and still unaddressed rear suspension defect in the rlx, suggests that design and manufacturing engineering at acura and its suppliers is off the rails and management is either unaware of this or is minimizing the seriousness of this organizational deficiency and mismanagement.
A catastrophic failure of the transmission??? Where the hell did you read that?? Just another doom and gloom post.
I suggest you follow the link I provided above before condemning Acura..
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
07Acuradude (12-13-2014), Warrior 6 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
A catastrophic failure of the transmission??? Where the hell did you read that?? Just another doom and gloom post.
I suggest you follow the link I provided above before condemning Acura..
Gloom and doom?!
While it may not qualify as a catastrophic mechanical failure, if the car rolls away and kills someone or causes serious property damage to the car and surroundings, I would call that catastrophic-not to mention the fallout from a pr standpoint for an already struggling brand.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Gloom and doom?!
While it may not qualify as a catastrophic mechanical failure, if the car rolls away and kills someone or causes serious property damage to the car and surroundings, I would call that catastrophic-not to mention the fallout from a pr standpoint for an already struggling brand.
Carry on with your FUD.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Whether intended or not these post do come across as an attempt at doom and gloom, and it seems posters with an axe to grind come here and repost the same story, repeat what has been said before, or try to add their spin view, especially from posters with no location or cars owned listed.

Everyone is entitled to their views and to post what they like, but when this is posted in a forum mostly made up of owners or potential buyers then it is going to stir things up. I do not believe that "we" are oblivious to the problems, and certainly wish that they were not happening or hope them to be successfully resolved and quickly.

Just another view. Feel free to disagree.
wlkeel (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Fud?!

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Carry on with your FUD.
I spent almost 20 yrs in the automotive industry working for a major supplier in sales, project management and marketing-all at the senior level-and have been on the receiving end of major quality issues and recalls.
Rest assured that the kinds of TSBs and recalls we are seeing recently out of Acura are not indicative of a well run automotive company. Perhaps if they were more motivated by fear, uncertainty and doubt, they would not use the customer to do their design and product validation testing.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
As several people have noted, Acura's decision to go with two new transmissions was to say the least curious. I know that the ZF 9 speed is produced externally and has been used in other cars. But for a car that was designed to get Acura back on track, the use of these was a concern at least b/c of the unknown. What I find most troubling is that their seems to be so much inconsistency in the quality of the product. While some people report no issues with the DCT, others seem to have all sorts of problems and are not very happy (delay, jerkiness, "its supposed to be that way"). The 9 speed has hard shifts for some, but is smooth for others. And who knows about the long term with two relatively new transmissions. My fear is test drives that are smooth, and a purchase that is not....I didn't used to worry about that when I bought an Acura. Even after two failed transmission in my 99 TL (first replaced by Acura) , I didn't hesitate with an 07 which has been perfect for almost 200,000 miles. Huge Acura fan....the cars just fit me, but I gotta say that I hope that Acura gets things figured out fast. Wasn't the delay from spring to fall supposed to be sure that the launch was perfect (and I know that every car is going to have some issues at release, but transmission issues are not small details if they can't get the software updates or production issues from ZF fixed quickly and completely).
Old 12-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I spent almost 20 yrs in the automotive industry working for a major supplier in sales, project management and marketing-all at the senior level-and have been on the receiving end of major quality issues and recalls.
Rest assured that the kinds of TSBs and recalls we are seeing recently out of Acura are not indicative of a well run automotive company. Perhaps if they were more motivated by fear, uncertainty and doubt, they would not use the customer to do their design and product validation testing.
Sorry, your post does make you seem less than such an expert. You are making it sound like Acura has many, many TSBs against it.. Is BMW a well run company? Lexus? Infiniti? Doom and gloom.

No one I know is saying the parking brake issue is not a possible injury/property/etc. hazard, at all. We are saying that Acura stepped up and ordered a stop/sale on the cars that may be affected and are working on it.. you have, in a way, already condemned in

Yes sir, you are spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) 100%. But it's okay. I am not looking for a fight, just wanted to counter your posts is all. Have a great day, I have a brand new TLX to play with *wave*
Warrior 6 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was at my local dealership yesterday getting an oil change and ventured out into the new car showroom. They had two TLX's on the floor with HOLD signs on them. I was talking to a salesman and he stated they were told the V6 units could not be sold right now.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AnthonyGen
I was at my local dealership yesterday getting an oil change and ventured out into the new car showroom. They had two TLX's on the floor with HOLD signs on them. I was talking to a salesman and he stated they were told the V6 units could not be sold right now.
Maybe the V6's he has can't but the ones affected are in a certain VIN # range only! My dealer has 16 TLX's he can't sell but also has several he can.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
Gee, maybe Acura should have gone with a 4 speed automatic from 20 years ago. And as far these recalls meaning Acura/Honda is not being run well is complete BS. They identified a problem and acted on it. They are being proactive which is a good thing. Look at the problems GM is having after not addressing the ignition issue right away. Recalls and TSBs are part of the business. Acura has not told the owners to quit driving their cars but are being cautious and checking the potential problem trannys.
Here's one for you. I had a 2006 pathfinder. Turns out the tranny fluid was being routed through the engine radiator to cool it. Well, after a while the tube the tranny fluid was flowing through started to get cracks and allowed engine coolant the mix with the tranny fluid resulting in an overheated and completely ruined transmission. This problem didn't start to show up until the trucks were around 5-6 years old and out of warranty. After enough complaints, Nissan finally decided to extend the warranty on the RADIATOR not the tranny. People were having to foot the entire bill for a new tranny if theirs was out of warranty regardless of the cause. The funny thing is, routing the tranny fluid through the radiator wasn't even necessary. There was an auxiliary cooler for the tranny as part of the towing package ( which they all had) on the front of the radiator. Lots of owners were splicing together the tranny fluid lines that went to the engine radiator bypassing it. Many reported towing trailers even in the mountains with no tranny issues after doing the bypass mod. Nissan really dropped the ball on that BS and pissed a lot of owners off.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
You do realize that Acura didn't design or manufacture the 9 speed transmission, yes?

Originally Posted by quantum7
As several people have noted, Acura's decision to go with two new transmissions was to say the least curious. I know that the ZF 9 speed is produced externally and has been used in other cars. But for a car that was designed to get Acura back on track, the use of these was a concern at least b/c of the unknown. What I find most troubling is that their seems to be so much inconsistency in the quality of the product. While some people report no issues with the DCT, others seem to have all sorts of problems and are not very happy (delay, jerkiness, "its supposed to be that way"). The 9 speed has hard shifts for some, but is smooth for others. And who knows about the long term with two relatively new transmissions. My fear is test drives that are smooth, and a purchase that is not....I didn't used to worry about that when I bought an Acura. Even after two failed transmission in my 99 TL (first replaced by Acura) , I didn't hesitate with an 07 which has been perfect for almost 200,000 miles. Huge Acura fan....the cars just fit me, but I gotta say that I hope that Acura gets things figured out fast. Wasn't the delay from spring to fall supposed to be sure that the launch was perfect (and I know that every car is going to have some issues at release, but transmission issues are not small details if they can't get the software updates or production issues from ZF fixed quickly and completely).
It would seem they were asking for trouble by introducing two new (to them) drivetrains in a newly redesigned model. Consumer Reports talks about how first year models almost always suffer in early problem reports when they introduce a new drivetrain. This is one of the reasons the Camry is so bulletproof - they keep trotting out the same engine/transmissions.

Regarding the DCT's - I have to wonder if the discrepancy between transmission behaviour is related to the complexity of the systems. The ECU will "learn" from your driving behavour and with the various IDS modes you have an added layer of complexity in the mix. Personally I find econ and normal modes to be smooth 95% of the time (well within my personal limits of what is okay) but Sport mode is just asking for trouble. I take my hat off to the service techs who have to try to troubleshoot this kind of stuff!!

Also to put this in perspective - Honda rolled out a CVT in the 9th gen Accord in 2013 and had numerous TSB's in the first couple years for it. Meanwhile they've worked through it and two years later they're selling them by the boatload with very few problems. I submit that car components are soooo complex these days that it's the nature of the beast and AHMC is far from bulletproof it turns out.
quantum7 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

A recent update says they've developed a inspection/clear procedure and are testing it over the weekend to validate it.
The following 5 users liked this post by Colin:
a35tl (12-13-2014), neuronbob (12-16-2014), Quandry (12-13-2014), Rocketsfan (12-14-2014), Warrior 6 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny that you mentioned Acura management. They have none.
Acura has 5 plus years to correct a huge problem and get them
back on track You would think that the engineers and
"management" want to insure that it is a smooth launch.

When was the last time Acura had a smooth/successful new product launch ?

ILX launch = failed
RLX launch = failed
ZDX launch = failed
RDX launch = failed
4G TL launch = failed

The MDX sells itself. I believe this stop ship is good for Acura GM
Mike Accavitti though because he has been there for all failed
designs. Ito will promote him to co-president of Acura very soon. LOL
Old 12-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

^ What stop ship?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:29 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
regardless of the cause of the issue or the impending fix ... I wonder how much of an impact this will have on the continued development of the much anticipated NSX, or on the brand in general?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Expect he means stopped sale/delivery from dealer stock. All the effected cars should be at dealers or in customer hands by now.

When they found the problem if any cars were still at the plant would have been most likely fixed there unless they had an arrangement with the dealers to have them make the fix.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Acura has 5 plus years to correct a huge problem and get them
back on track You would think that the engineers and
"management" want to insure that it is a smooth launch.

When was the last time Acura had a smooth/successful new product launch ?

ILX launch = failed
RLX launch = failed
ZDX launch = failed
RDX launch = failed
4G TL launch = failed

The MDX sells itself. I believe this stop ship is good for Acura GM
Mike Accavitti though because he has been there for all failed
designs. Ito will promote him to co-president of Acura very soon. LOL
Quality control is out to lunch. I love Acura's and they along with Honda's are the only car I have owned and my wife except she wanted a convertible and got a Lexus SC430 and than stayed with Lexus with a RX350. I have always said these are the only two manufacturers that I would buy. I have been looking for a used RLX or a new TLX for several months. I have been reading these two forums extensively. It is incredible all the issues that are being mentioned. These are new cars. These are major issue too not like a visor that is off center etc... I think each model is a significant improvement over the previous models outside all the problems. Anyone however that are reading all these problems and again looks at the J D Power ranking of 25 out of 32 and behind Land Rover and Volkswagen and is not concerned is in denial. I have bought at least 12 new Acura's and Honda's and have never brought one back to the dealer with an initial problem.

Last edited by FredS; 12-13-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Monte TLS,MAX (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
regardless of the cause of the issue or the impending fix ... I wonder how much of an impact this will have on the continued development of the much anticipated NSX, or on the brand in general?
Its not going to help but 2014 is already closed out in some of the surveys. They will get a fresh start for 2015.

Looks like they are making a good effort at turning it around by docking the senior execs paychecks so next years report will be better.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

RDX launch = failed
Which RDX launch are you referring? Surely not the 2G as that thing has been selling very well.

As for the JD rating, it is interesting that the Honda is much better than Acura and likely the result of Acura pushing new technology and why it has more initial problems than Honda itself. My thoughts anyway

Last edited by weather; 12-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

The MDX sells itself.
IMO, you can't invalidate the success of the MDX and RDX (2G) by saying 'it sells itself' because it doesn't fit your world view that Acura management is incompetent. And despite this setback, the TLX is hardly a failure at launch.

Originally Posted by Six Shifter
Probably little since the 9AT is a ZF transverse FWD transmission, and the NSX is a hybrid+7speed DCT longitudinal, two totally different designs and (assumed) design teams. If there is something to be learned from the 9AT issue, it should find its way to future product to lessen the chance of it happening again.
a35tl (12-13-2014), Stew4HD (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
The funny thing about this V6 transmission stop sale/recall is I have not seen one post from anyone here that has actually experienced the problem on their car. Yes, there are cars in the dealer lot that cannot be sold and have to be checked, but how many will actually require repairs (sold or unsold). It would be nice to have the statistics, and maybe we will see something in 3 or 4 months. Till then the haters will have a field day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quandry:
a35tl (12-13-2014), Nabooly (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
IMO, you can't invalidate the success of the MDX and RDX (2G) by saying 'it sells itself' because it doesn't fit your world view that Acura management is incompetent. And despite this setback, the TLX is hardly a failure at launch.

Probably little since the 9AT is a ZF transverse FWD transmission, and the NSX is a hybrid+7speed DCT longitudinal, two totally different designs and (assumed) design teams. If there is something to be learned from the 9AT issue, it should find its way to future product to lessen the chance of it happening again.
Did I write RDX 2G launch? for Acura people to keep making excuses, it is
dumb, okay. When you made mistakes, small or big, admit it and fix the problems. Acura has consistently failed to execute starting with the 4G TL then RDX, then ILX and on and on. The 9AT engine is not new so to have a problem is on Acura whether in production/manufacturing or whatever.
Where the h#ll is quality control?

Acura has failed to properly produce / launch vehicles that customers wants to buy. It is a total failure. Now, I don't know what Ito has or has not given them in terms of resources but Acura management in general has failed repeatedly.

RDX is selling better now after they realize holy f#ck customers don't want to buy a truck w/o a V6 in it. They also had softened the ride and
that was the complaint many told Acura. it was too harsh. Why did Acura not know before lauchinga new product? Don' they conduct marketing surveys ?

Hey, I can go on but really I don't want to argue with Acure cronies. if you think Acura is doing great, good for you and management. I am no longer a customer but watching from afar, the management is terrrible from top down starting with the GM. People used to blame Conrad and those guys but they are gone now but the mistakes continue.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

dumb, okay. When you made mistakes, small or big, admit it and fix the problems. Acura has consistently failed to execute starting with the 4G TL then RDX, then ILX and on and on. The 9AT engine is not new so to have a problem is on Acura whether in production/manufacturing or whatever.
Where the h#ll is quality control?

Acura has failed to properly produce / launch vehicles that customers wants to buy. It is a total failure. Now, I don't know what Ito has or has not given them in terms of resources but Acura management in general has failed repeatedly.

RDX is selling better now after they realize holy f#ck customers don't want to buy a truck w/o a V6 in it. They also had softened the ride and
that was the complaint many told Acura. it was too harsh. Why did Acura not know before lauchinga new product? Don' they conduct marketing surveys ?

Hey, I can go on but really I don't want to argue with Acure cronies. if you think Acura is doing great, good for you and management. I am no longer a customer but watching from afar, the management is terrrible from top down starting with the GM. People used to blame Conrad and those guys but they are gone now but the mistakes continue.
Blah blah... blah and blah. What a load of bullshit.
Nabooly (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Snoopy....While I agree that some mistakes have been made, they have made huge improvement in their styling department, features they offer and maintain an aggressive price point. I agree that going to two new transmission was a bit risky and they are trying to correct some of the behaviors of the DCT and 9 speed and we have to give them a chance.

I respect your view point, because I am entitled to mine, but I always encourage to still be mindful of the fact that people here come here to exchange ideas, ways to improve their rides, get some help, have a little bit of fun in the process.....but not necessarily to be provoked. I try and come here and bring some light heart humor because we all have enough stress in our daily lives....I just hope that we can try and all be respectful

Keep in mind that people are very passionate about their car, they have spent lots of hard earned money for them and we also need to not try and dismiss their purchase....put yourself in TLX owners shoes.
The following 4 users liked this post by weather:
ITdude (12-14-2014), MedX172 (12-14-2014), Quandry (12-13-2014), Stew4HD (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Regarding the DCT's - I have to wonder if the discrepancy between transmission behaviour is related to the complexity of the systems. The ECU will "learn" from your driving behavour and with the various IDS modes you have an added layer of complexity in the mix. Personally I find econ and normal modes to be smooth 95% of the time (well within my personal limits of what is okay) but Sport mode is just asking for trouble. I take my hat off to the service techs who have to try to troubleshoot this kind of stuff!!
Professor, I'm probably remembering wrong, but I thought your DCT was darn smooth in all modes, and darn near all the time. Maybe I missed something?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
Snoopy....While I agree that some mistakes have been made, they have made huge improvement in their styling department, features they offer and maintain an aggressive price point. I agree that going to two new transmission was a bit risky and they are trying to correct some of the behaviors of the DCT and 9 speed and we have to give them a chance.

I respect your view point, because I am entitled to mine, but I always encourage to still be mindful of the fact that people here come here to exchange ideas, ways to improve their rides, get some help, have a little bit of fun in the process.....but not necessarily to be provoked. I try and come here and bring some light heart humor because we all have enough stress in our daily lives....I just hope that we can try and all be respectful

Keep in mind that people are very passionate about their car, they have spent lots of hard earned money for them and we also need to not try and dismiss their purchase....put yourself in TLX owners shoes.
Sometimes I just have to keep it simple.. though blunt. I meant my "BS" comment to be with "all due respect"
Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ No offense taken *lol* I can be blunt at times too so no worries I know it wasn't intended at me but I understand your frustration and sometime, we just need to voice it
Old 12-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Sorry for saying this, but I am going to stop reading this thread now. It is full of personal opinions that are not substantiated and the so called arguments do not go anywhere. They also do not help me understand the Acura vehicles any better than before. All I can say is that it is getting a bit tired and pointless.

Bye, bye thread!
The following 2 users liked this post by ostrich:
Colin (12-13-2014), jim256 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 08:51 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
weather... TLX owners shoes? We need special shoes for the TLX? Man, this is getting complicated. First push button gears, then two screens, then radars to keep me on the road, then new shoes. Where will the madness end?

Apologies for the scarasm. I am sure the "fix" is nothing more or less than blowing some air to remove the contamination and doing a tranny drain/refill. They got some good dedicated engineers over there. OK, their average age is like 29, but still these are very sharp boys and girls. Lets not let them down with all kinds of speculations... OK?

I am with ostrich on this one...
Old 12-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

dumb, okay. When you made mistakes, small or big, admit it and fix the problems.
Good grief Charlie Brown. No, you did not specify which RDX.. so I did for clarity's sake. This whole parking pawl issue is exactly what you're advocating, "admit it and fix the problem"
justnspace (12-14-2014), neuronbob (12-16-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 05:38 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
I think it's interesting that while Acura's initial reliability is ranked low their dependability is very high. So, they have a higher number of initial issues out of the gate, but once addressed they're dealt with and you move on, I guess? Versus, lets say BMW which has a higher IQS score, but a lower VDS score. Personally, I'd rather suffer through a few trips to the dealer at the beginning of ownership and then have a relatively trouble free car, than have a trouble free car initially and then get my "gotchas" later down the road when the warranty has faded into the sunset.

Last edited by MedX172; 12-14-2014 at 05:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MedX172:
dysonlu (12-16-2014), MisterZDX (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Good grief Charlie Brown. No, you did not specify which RDX.. so I did for clarity's sake. This whole parking pawl issue is exactly what you're advocating, "admit it and fix the problem"
I lol'd so hard.

Keep explaining it, maybe, eventually they'll learn a thing or two.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
As someone who owned a 3G TL for 11 years and know of the issues with the 2G TL, anyone saying Acura was somehow near-perfection until recently is being a bit disingenuous.

My 3G was a rattlefest, I had to replace the engine mounts, and, OMG! I had a recall for the transmission during the first 4 or 5 months of ownership, I think. However, at no point did I think to myself "I hate this car or I'll never buy an Acura again" because I expect there to be issues, but what I don't want are recurring issues over and over and over to the point I damn-near end up paying for another car. I still think the car was reliable as hell for the nearly 250,000 miles I drove it.

I've also spent (over 1 year each) on Infiniti Q50, Cadillac ATS, and Lexus IS 350 forums while looking for my TLX. Believe me, there is a difference among those forums. IS forums are generally quiet and not full of complaints. Q50 forums were a disaster due to their electrical glitches but they calmed down eventually. ATS forums were full of quality control issues with Caddy reps trying to calm people down by showing up and posting (nice touch by Cadillac, btw). The odd thing is that on the ATS forums, it was pretty much a "that's just the way it is" or "it's just a lease - I'll be out of it within 3-4 years" type attitudes for the most part. This reminded me of some Audi forums I was in. I don't ever want Acura forums to be that way. This place is pretty much dead in comparison to those places when it comes to complaints. And here there doesn't seem to be about 40 different things going wrong for everyone.

FYI : I know I'm only one person, but about the only thing that I'd call a complaint about this car that I have is the bounce when parking sometimes, and quite frankly, if that's all I have to worry about and if it doesn't cause any failures in the long-run, I'd really be a happy camper after another 7-11 years of ownership.

Lastly, MedX172 : The Vehicle Dependability Study is over the past 3 years and won't include current cars. So this year's VDS covers model-year 2011 cars. The Initial Quality Study covers the first 30 days of ownership. Also, note that the studies are based upon a "per 100 vehicles" metric. I don't know about you, but I buy one vehicle, not 100. So, on a "per vehicle" metric, in most cases, we're talking of a difference of less than 1 problem per vehicle, and we're talking about less than 2 problems per vehicle being reported across the board for almost all makes. You'll also often find that given any year, the make with the models that have been out the longest will probably have stronger reliability scores because in many cases many issues probably have been knocked out. A lot of the manufacturers with newer models with newer technology, transmissions, engines, etc. sometimes show a higher number of problems. But like I said, it all amounts to less than 1 more problem per vehicle. Wooptie-doo.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 12-14-2014 at 01:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
MedX172 (12-14-2014), Quandry (12-14-2014), weather (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
But like I said, it all amounts to less than 1 more problem per vehicle. Wooptie-doo.

I agree completely. So far, I've had one problem with my TLX. A paint blemish that they're in the process of correcting. I guess I could count the LED puddle light failure on the passenger side as a problem, but I mean...it's a light bulb, who cares? They put a new one in it.

My VIN number is under recall for the transmission issue, but honestly, even that doesn't bother me.

If they swap it for a new one, who cares as long as it addresses the issue? I see so many people lamenting that another company built the transmission. Again, so? Parts big or small in autos are made by hundreds of manufacturers across the globe. It's not like Honda's building windshield wiper motors, navi screens, or leather seating surfaces. Everything is subcontracted. Since ZF crossed the 10 million mark for auto transmissions in 2006, I think they've probably got it under control; they've also got a vested interest in making sure their products are top notch since they've got all their eggs in one basket. In comparison to the notchy 6 speed that was in my 2013 Accord Touring or the one I'm dealing with now in my 2015 ILX loaner, Honda should get ZF to make all their transmissions.
The following 2 users liked this post by MedX172:
Nabooly (12-15-2014), Quandry (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 06:30 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Agree 100%.

Although Honda is best at building engines, but is still up against a learning curve at building high power (260+hp) auto transmissions.

The classic example was the in-house 5AT transmissions built during the 2001-2007 period for the TL/CL vehicles. They were badly designed with inadequate internal cooling capability, resulting in catastrophic failure or sudden lock-up at random mileages, irrespect of how easy or how hard the cars were driven. The worst part was that not even Honda knew which trannies would fail and which wouldn't.

With limited resources, limited time frames, and ever expanding projects (such as jet planes and Asimo robots), it is impossible for Honda to do every thing in-house.

Therefore, it is best to contract out certain vehicle sub-systems and let the experts do a better job of designing what the experts are best in; and ZF is one of the best in building advanced transmissions for many other top automakers.

So it is best to let ZF take care of all auto transmission designs for high power Honda V6 engine applications, and hopefully will speed up the releases of all future high tech Acura vehicles, especially the NSX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura TLX V6 Under Stop Sale and Recall Notice (transmission problem)?