Notices

Acura TLX Type S want list

Old 11-28-2018, 07:21 PM
MTD
Registered Member

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts
I dont want a Type S at all.

Id like a "Sport", similar the the Accord.

2.0T, 6mt, LSD, Alcantera interior, CarPlay, Acurawatch, decent stereo, etc. A Type-S minus the luxury bs and V6. A grown up Civic Type-R.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post

The Type-S will not be a high volume car, I doubt it was a high volume car in 3G form even with mostly modest superficial upgrades.
If by superficial upgrades you mean larger motor, upgrade from 258hp to 286hp, beefed up suspension, manual slap shift and paddle shifters, manual trans available, larger sway bars, brembo brakes with 4 piston calipers you may be right. The non-superficial upgrades must have been the waffle rims, side trim lower moldings, bolstered seats, red ambient light package, different tail lights and rear diffuser, quad exhaust, trunk spoiler, aluminum pedals and every option available on the car standard other than summer tires (just to list a few).

That's not too bad for for modest upgrades but maybe they were not enough. If the new type S has all this most would be pretty happy.

Superficial????

While I agree it will not be a high volume car and wasn't back then either but the upgrades were substantial overall.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:54 PM
2006 RRP TL "The Comrade"

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
Yeah the TL-S had a definitive upgrade over the base TLs. Not superficial at all.

Interestingly enough, I remember a thread on here that actually had people trying to muster an effort to see how many 6MT TL-S of certain color combinations (ie, the "unicorn" KBP 6MT TL-S) were sold/produced.

And one poster actually emailed Acura/Honda corporate and got a response that basically said that information is proprietary and not available for public consumption. So we can only guess as to how many Type-S were sold in 07/08....
Old 11-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nist7 View Post
Yeah the TL-S had a definitive upgrade over the base TLs. Not superficial at all.

Interestingly enough, I remember a thread on here that actually had people trying to muster an effort to see how many 6MT TL-S of certain color combinations (ie, the "unicorn" KBP 6MT TL-S) were sold/produced.

And one poster actually emailed Acura/Honda corporate and got a response that basically said that information is proprietary and not available for public consumption. So we can only guess as to how many Type-S were sold in 07/08....
I would love that info, just based on general observations having bought the 07 S new and owning it for 10 years my guess would be it was under 5% of TL models sold (and that may be high) and when you own one you always recognize one (which I hope a new TLX Type S will be the same). The MT models from 07/08 still get top dollar in good shape (from what I have seen double a TL with the same mileage) and the auto which I had got me a great trade in (4-5k) over a non-type S. The dealer sold mine in 3 days and after having a 17 TLX fwd V6 and a 18 TLX A-Spec Awd if I did it over again would have held on to the Type S. . 3rd Gen type S was not superficial at all. There is a reason people want a new type S and its not from the last model being superficial.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jhb31 View Post
I would love that info, just based on general observations having bought the 07 S new and owning it for 10 years my guess would be it was under 5% of TL models sold (and that may be high) and when you own one you always recognize one (which I hope a new TLX Type S will be the same). The MT models from 07/08 still get top dollar in good shape (from what I have seen double a TL with the same mileage) and the auto which I had got me a great trade in (4-5k) over a non-type S. The dealer sold mine in 3 days and after having a 17 TLX fwd V6 and a 18 TLX A-Spec Awd if I did it over again would have held on to the Type S. . 3rd Gen type S was not superficial at all. There is a reason people want a new type S and its not from the last model being superficial.
Here's the post/thread that had people trying to figure out production numbers for the 3G TL-S : https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post13603588

And indeed the 3G TL-S are STILL selling fast (barring other issues with the title/history/etc.). Prices seem to have flattened out as well, not depreciating any further.

Certainly we can only hope that with a great product in their new RDX re-design, that a new generation of TLX will live up to the glory days of the 07/08 TL-S. Only time will tell....do we know of any time table as to an unveil of the TLX-S? I assume it's too early to expect any unveiling/announcement in early/mid 2019?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 PM
MASTER CAR BULIDER

Received 1,222 Likes on 740 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7 View Post
In general I agree that at 50k+ the value proposition for a non-Lexus japanese car definitely can drop off significantly due to the fierce competition...and the fact that those who are able/willing to spend 50k+ will likely need to see something very interesting/unique before jumping into that vehicle.

BUT as I was doing some internet-window shopping and looked at what entry to mid level offerings are in the 50-60k-ish luxury sedan segment, I was a bit shocked at what I saw in terms of price and hp.....

These are mid to low 50k starting MSRP I found from OEM websites:
  • BMW 530i, 248hp turbo I4, $53k starting (540i gets 335hp and at $60k)
  • Mercedes E 300, 241hp turbo I4, $53k starting (E 450 gets 362hp and $60k)
  • Audi S5 Sportback, 354hp turbo V6, $54.5k starting (S6 is over 70k)
  • Lexus GS 350 F sport, 311hp V6, $52k starting (GS F is over 80k)
  • Honorable mentions Alfa Giulia Ti, 280hp turbo I4, $40k starting (Quadrofolio is over 70k), Stinger, Genesis G80
I was actually surprised how little HP you are getting at some of those entry to mid level models.

Could Acura have a value proposition here if they keep the hp numbers up and MSRP at or not much above 50k? Though as already been posted, the brand prestige/recognition is likely a huge roadblock to break into the luxury, sporty sedan segment. (one that the NSX knows all too well....)
You realize that those low horsepower entry level cars like the BMW 440 with only 320BHP @ $44,950 to start will do 0-60 in 4.4 & a quarter mile in 12.9 sec @ 109 mph.

As mentioned many times before the horsepower number is irrelevant its what the car does with the power it actually has. The 290BHP TLX is listed at 5.8 to 60MPH & 14.2 @ 100MPH near the Audi Sportbacks 252BHP's 5.3 to 60 & 14 @ 100mph.

So you have a case where the 440 is +30BHP over the TLX & a lot faster while the A5SB is -38BHP under the TLX but the A5SB is still quicker.

BTW the 5 series is not entry level & the next 340 will have 385BHP. Shot at being an entry level sub 4 second car.

MB, BMW & Audi are all similar runners in the both listed power & overall performance. When they list 400 & 500BHP cars they get real expensive real quick but the performance goes up proportionately.

The BMW M5 starts @ $104K tested at $127K has 600BHP 0-60 in 2.8 seconds & 10.9 @ 129 in the quarter mile. Interesting comparison since you brought up the NSX its numbers are starts at $158K tested at $204K has 500BHP 0-60 in 3.1 seconds & 11.2 @ 126 in the quater mile.
nist7 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 PM
MASTER CAR BULIDER

Received 1,222 Likes on 740 Posts
If by superficial upgrades you mean larger motor, upgrade from 258hp to 286hp, beefed up suspension, manual slap shift and paddle shifters, manual trans available, larger sway bars, brembo brakes with 4 piston calipers you may be right. The non-superficial upgrades must have been the waffle rims, side trim lower moldings, bolstered seats, red ambient light package, different tail lights and rear diffuser, quad exhaust, trunk spoiler, aluminum pedals and every option available on the car standard other than summer tires (just to list a few).

That's not too bad for for modest upgrades but maybe they were not enough. If the new type S has all this most would be pretty happy.

Superficial????

While I agree it will not be a high volume car and wasn't back then either but the upgrades were substantial overall.
The TypeS has gotten stronger with age but only the MT was quicker then the base car.

TL-S 6MT
Base price: $38,940
0-to-60-mph time: 5.5 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
5AT cars were in the 6+ to 60mph.

TL 6MT
Base price $35,100
0 to 60 mph 5.7 sec
Quarter-mile time:14.4 sec @ 99 mph
Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
You realize that those low horsepower entry level cars like the BMW 440 with only 320BHP @ $44,950 to start will do 0-60 in 4.4 & a quarter mile in 12.9 sec @ 109 mph.

As mentioned many times before the horsepower number is irrelevant its what the car does with the power it actually has. The 290BHP TLX is listed at 5.8 to 60MPH & 14.2 @ 100MPH near the Audi Sportbacks 252BHP's 5.3 to 60 & 14 @ 100mph.

So you have a case where the 440 is +30BHP over the TLX & a lot faster while the A5SB is -38BHP under the TLX but the A5SB is still quicker.

BTW the 5 series is not entry level & the next 340 will have 385BHP. Shot at being an entry level sub 4 second car.

MB, BMW & Audi are all similar runners in the both listed power & overall performance. When they list 400 & 500BHP cars they get real expensive real quick but the performance goes up proportionately.

The BMW M5 starts @ $104K tested at $127K has 600BHP 0-60 in 2.8 seconds & 10.9 @ 129 in the quarter mile. Interesting comparison since you brought up the NSX its numbers are starts at $158K tested at $204K has 500BHP 0-60 in 3.1 seconds & 11.2 @ 126 in the quater mile.
Indeed a very good point. And it's definitely a testament to modern engineering in transmission and efficiency that we can do more per HP than in the olden days. The end result is in the performance numbers/feel as you listed.

So looks like the pure HP number is not the end all be all and we'll definitely have to see where the TLX-S real world performance stack up.
BEAR-AvHistory (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 636 Likes on 372 Posts

Superficial????

OK, I forgot some of that and I owned one, but really was the car ina. Different performytier like an A4 to a S4? The point was I donít see a new Type-S being a high volume car. And if I recall the SH-AWD 4G I had handled better than my Type-S, but that was a decade ago.
BEAR-AvHistory (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KeithL View Post

OK, I forgot some of that and I owned one, but really was the car ina. Different performytier like an A4 to a S4? The point was I donít see a new Type-S being a high volume car. And if I recall the SH-AWD 4G I had handled better than my Type-S, but that was a decade ago.
I now my 18 sh-awd handles better than my 07 Type S and imo has a much more comfortable ride but relative to a fwd v6 TLX the type S definitely handled better (responsiveness though the Type S had no hesitation and even though a few less HP definitely had a faster more powerful feel than the current TLX. Also agree a Type S will not be a high volume car but the word is they are going to offer a Type-S across all models so they will have to come up with something special to make it worthwhile. As a side point the V6 Audi A4 in 2007 was I think 256 Hp and fully loaded had a sticker about 8k over the type S that year.

Anyway I hope they can come out with something as enticing as when the 3rd gen was released. I know there is a trend over to SUVs but the sales numbers of the TLX being fairly low has to be partly attributed to the 2015 TLX styling being fairly bland and then the trans being crap. The mid cycle update was too little too late and to me was mostly superficial updates. The fake large exhaust ports are the perfect example of that. That kinda crap has to go away.

I

As for
BEAR-AvHistory (11-30-2018)