Acura to Reveal Its Sportiest Sedan Yet at 2019 Pebble Beach - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
Reload this Page >

Acura to Reveal Its Sportiest Sedan Yet at 2019 Pebble Beach

Notices

Old 03-07-2019, 07:58 PM
A-Spec Just Kicked In, Yo

Not sure what this means for the Type S TLX...

[Car & Driver Link]
  • Acura will reveal a production-ready concept at Pebble Beach this summer that previews a slinky four-door flagship inspired by the Precision concept.
  • Next-gen versions of the TLX sedan and MDX crossover are both coming soon.
  • A second-generation ZDX crossover "coupe" could be in the pipeline, too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hdcolumbus For This Useful Post:
ACCURATEin (03-07-2019), Curious3GTL (03-08-2019), Nedmundo (03-08-2019), nist7 (03-08-2019), Tony Pac (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Four-door flagship inspired by the precision concept makes it sound like a next-gen RLX or a replacement for the RLX.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Rlx

...this could be the re-birth of the RLX...or it could be it’s death (and we have a new Acura sedan model).

Nice little surprise by Acura to say the least. Here we were all waiting for a TLX reveal this year and here come this “production ready sport sedan” announcement. I don’t think anyone expected it right?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

^Could the production ready concept sport sedan be the next TLX? IMO, RLX is dead already.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Not to be a total rube here - but what Pebble Beach event are they referring to?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sloppy305 View Post
...this could be the re-birth of the RLX...or it could be it’s death (and we have a new Acura sedan model).

Nice little surprise by Acura to say the least. Here we were all waiting for a TLX reveal this year and here come this “production ready sport sedan” announcement. I don’t think anyone expected it right?

It says the next gen TLX and MDX are also coming this year

The big news probably is the RLX replacement
Old 03-08-2019, 08:33 AM
BGR
Registered Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the TLX is at the NY Auto Show and this sport sedan is the Type-S TLX coming in August. If this is production ready I'd be surprised if it's the next generation RLX/Legend.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the TLX is at the NY Auto Show and this sport sedan is the Type-S TLX coming in August. If this is production ready I'd be surprised if it's the next generation RLX/Legend.
Acura should pull a Lincoln and bring back proper names for their vehicles. Legend = RLX, Vigor = TLX and Integra = ILX. And then make new names for the MDX and RDX. Doubtful it will happen but one can dream!
Old 03-08-2019, 11:37 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut View Post
Not to be a total rube here - but what Pebble Beach event are they referring to?
It's that annual car event they have week long in Monterey CA. If you're ever in that area in August every year, you'll just be blown away at what cars are just driving around. You'd see Model T's driving next to Koenigsegg's as if it was normal.

https://whatsupmonterey.com/article/...-week-overview
Old 03-08-2019, 11:50 AM
MASTER CAR BULIDER

Thanked 1,210 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut View Post
One of the top if not the top car events in the US. The east coast equivalent is Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. Used to preview top end prototypes & about to be released production cars. 2018 featured the BMW, Ferrari & Lamborghini 2019 model revels.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
One of the top if not the top car events in the US. The east coast equivalent is Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. Used to preview top end prototypes & about to be released production cars. 2018 featured the BMW, Ferrari & Lamborghini 2019 model revels.
...And/or have them on display at the US Open at Pebble Beach June 10 - 16th. Acura is a major sponsor of golf in Canada, advertising a lot on TSN (our equivalent to ESPN) for their various golf shows and coverage. Unlikely, but you never know
Old 03-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

By all indications this is 2nd gen TLX or whatever name they call it. The type-S I still think from what I was told it will be a late 2020 release as a 2021 model year. Regardless I suspect there will be some warts with the precision cockpit and the early adopters will hopefully get them worked out by the next model year. The new RDX infotainment system was not implemented all that great so the precision cockpit will likely have some early issues.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Honestly, the timing of the RLX concept debut this Summer makes me think we may not see the TLX concept at this year’s NYIAS which is next month. I hope I’m wrong tbh, as I’d love to leave the office midday and meander across town to the Javitz Center to take in a new and improved TLX.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:02 PM
BGR
Registered Member

Originally Posted by F23A4 View Post
Honestly, the timing of the RLX concept debut this Summer makes me think we may not see the TLX concept at this year’s NYIAS which is next month. I hope I’m wrong tbh, as I’d love to leave the office midday and meander across town to the Javitz Center to take in a new and improved TLX.
We will see the TLX in some form next month. I'm going e get the teaser in the next few weeks and hopefully that'll tell us if Acura is shining the type S or regular tlx at New York.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Two things:
1. It will be TLX Type S
2. New RLX

The TLX and MDX Are différent projeta and will be shown at different events.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 AM
MSZ
Lola

We will see the TLX in some form next month. I'm going e get the teaser in the next few weeks and hopefully that'll tell us if Acura is shining the type S or regular tlx at New York.
i don't expect a production model will be shown until summer. My guess would be a prototype at the NY show.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:00 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by mapleloaf View Post
...And/or have them on display at the US Open at Pebble Beach June 10 - 16th. Acura is a major sponsor of golf in Canada, advertising a lot on TSN (our equivalent to ESPN) for their various golf shows and coverage. Unlikely, but you never know
Possible, but there are eyeballs on car week from across the globe every year. And the concept lawn event at the Pebble Beach Lodge has new concepts released there every year. Here's an article about it from last year's event: https://www.automotiverhythms.com/20...-concept-lawn/

Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 PM
WTF?

I'm just glad too sew Acura is getting serious again!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Grandpa

Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P View Post
The big news probably is the RLX replacement
I think so, too.

If we're lucky they've done a mindset reset and the replacement will be a Legend, and they will only sell the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD versions.

And if we're really, really lucky, this will be an American car, designed by Americans and for Americans. :-)

Like the 4G TL. That car was awesome.

I used to drive a 4G TL 6-6 SH-AWD, and now drive a KC2 Sport Hybrid. The American designed and made TL had better fit and finish, and better human ergonomics than my all-Saiyama KC2.

Of course, even with American made Hondas, there can be a big difference between cars made, say, in Ohio and cars made in, say, Alabama.

Oh, hell, let's just hope they get their acts together with the next generation Legend. :-)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,758 Posts
PLEASE let Acura rename it "Legend". Pretty please. Really please. I'm pretty sure the Pebble Beach car will be a RLX-type vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to neuronbob For This Useful Post:
Ken1997TL (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

^Highly unlikely especially here in NA. Does not go along with the naming convention of the rest of the Acura lineup.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

^I don't think he was postulating that Acura is considering adopting their legacy naming convention. On the contrary, I think the whimsical begging and pleading suggests he thinks they aren't but should, with which I happen to agree.

I personally think the alphabet soup Acura adopted in the 90s-00s was a mistake. People (I mean the general public, not car people) know Camry, Accord, Taurus and Impala. Everyone can immediately identify these cars or at least call up a mental image of a sedan in their mind. Those are staple cars. The Europeans developed a more sophisticated convention over decades - stuff like C300 or 325xi - which identified body style, engine displacement, cylinders, fuel type, drivetrain and packages. It's remarkably intelligent and ingenious, but honestly, most Americans would draw a blank if you said you drive a 328d, let alone know it's a diesel. Try telling your 70 year-old mother you drive a C63 AMG and see if she thinks that means a car, minivan, truck, SUV or motorcycle. I actually think sticking with names like Jetta and Passat have helped VW stay mainstream.

Probably in an effort to sound as fancy as Euros, Acura abandoned the solid Integra, Vigor and Legend for a generally arbitrary alphabet soup. They actually got the first few years right because they included engine. Models were things like 3.2CL, 3.2TL (which was a gorgeous car) and 3.5RL, so you could glean a little bit about the car from the name. But then they dropped the engine and were left with only letters. The best I can tell, despite people thinking these letters meant something, they never stood for anything. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think Acura ever claimed CL was like "coupe luxury" or TSX was "touring sport X." I have no idea what was speculated for the RSX ("racing sport X?"), RDX or MDX. I think these were all rumors or people wanting to believe so badly that there was meaning.

I think Acura could immediately enhance their brand image and broaden their appeal by calling the ILX Integra, TLX Vigor and RLX Legend. Imagine the average business executive, doctor, lawyer or engineer driving home from the office and seeing a gorgeous, shiny new Acura. He or she thinks, "Wow, I should check that out." They look at the badge and say "RLX" aloud. By the time they get home, they have forgotten the three consonants they pulled out of the grab bag. Adios potential sale. Picture that same person reading "Legend" aloud. Sounds fancy, legendary, fully loaded. You can immediate associate yourself with being legendary, or vigorous... or full of integrity... haha. But you see what is in a name?

I'm guessing most Acura diehards would love that too. I think that's what neuronbob was saying. I, personally, would LOVE to see these names restored.

Last edited by someguy11; 03-11-2019 at 09:52 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to someguy11 For This Useful Post:
a35tl (03-11-2019), neuronbob (03-11-2019), Terdbath (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by someguy11 View Post
^I don't think he was postulating that Acura is considering adopting their legacy naming convention. On the contrary, I think the whimsical begging and pleading suggests he thinks they aren't but should, with which I happen to agree.

I personally think the alphabet soup Acura adopted in the 90s-00s was a mistake. People (I mean the general public, not car people) know Camry, Accord, Taurus and Impala. Everyone can immediately identify these cars or at least call up a mental image of a sedan in their mind. Those are staple cars. The Europeans developed a more sophisticated convention over decades - stuff like C300 or 325xi - which identified body style, engine displacement, cylinders, fuel type, drivetrain and packages. It's remarkably intelligent and ingenious, but honestly, most Americans would draw a blank if you said you drive a 328d, let alone know it's a diesel. Try telling your 70 year-old mother you drive a C63 AMG and see if she thinks that means a car, minivan, truck, SUV or motorcycle. I actually think sticking with names like Jetta and Passat have helped VW stay mainstream.

Probably in an effort to sound as fancy as Euros, Acura abandoned the solid Integra, Vigor and Legend for a generally arbitrary alphabet soup. They actually got the first few years right because they included engine. Models were things like 3.2CL, 3.2TL (which was a gorgeous car) and 3.5RL, so you could glean a little bit about the car from the name. But then they dropped the engine and were left with only letters. The best I can tell, despite people thinking these letters meant something, they never stood for anything. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think Acura ever claimed CL was like "coupe luxury" or TSX was "touring sport X." I have no idea what was speculated for the RSX ("racing sport X?"), RDX or MDX. I think these were all rumors or people wanting to believe so badly that there was meaning.

I think Acura could immediately enhance their brand image and broaden their appeal by calling the ILX Integra, TLX Vigor and RLX Legend. Imagine the average business executive, doctor, lawyer or engineer driving home from the office and seeing a gorgeous, shiny new Acura. He or she thinks, "Wow, I should check that out." They look at the badge and say "RLX" aloud. By the time they get home, they have forgotten the three consonants they pulled out of the grab bag. Adios potential sale. Picture that same person reading "Legend" aloud. Sounds fancy, legendary, fully loaded. You can immediate associate yourself with being legendary, or vigorous... or full of integrity... haha. But you see what is in a name?

I'm guessing most Acura diehards would love that too. I think that's what neuronbob was saying. I, personally, would LOVE to see these names restored.
Originally, Acura's reasoning behind changing the nomenclature was because they apparently wanted people to focus on the brand and not the model (which I thought was kind of silly because if you like the model, I'm sure you're going ask about "who makes it?" if you were interested).
Count me among those who couldn't care less what you call the thing as long as it performs as expected -- I'm not going to be completely confused by naming conventions. I don't care if you call it a 300 or a TL. Mercedes changed it up, Infiniti changed it up, and half the time I can't remember if it's a Mini Cooper or a Cooper Mini (there's actually an interesting albeit, possibly confusing, history behind this, if you're ever interested...)
There may be a few exceptions to my "I couldn't care less" attitude toward naming conventions because the names are iconic -- if they decided to publicly call the Ford F150 a Ford Buckaroo or the Porsche 911 a Porsche Rocket, I'd think they lost their minds...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocketsfan For This Useful Post:
mapleloaf (03-11-2019), someguy11 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan View Post
Originally, Acura's reasoning behind changing the nomenclature was because they apparently wanted people to focus on the brand and not the model (which I thought was kind of silly because if you like the model, I'm sure you're going ask about "who makes it?" if you were interested).
Good points and great example with the Ford Buckaroo. I LOLed. But the real reason for responding is to say that if Acura really said that, then they are really, seriously, astronomically stupid for no longer putting ACURA badges on their cars. There is a perfect good vacant spot on the drivers side deck lid for ACURA. What could those cost - thirty cents a piece? I don't know when or with which models they stopped doing so, but they ought to know that the masses (95% of women and 40% of men) don't recognize their logo. I've pulled up to people - family, friends and strangers - and get a "nice car! what is it?" to which I say "Acura TLX" then usually get a "who makes that?" I have personally been in this conversation at least a half dozen times. C'mon, I can't be the only one experiencing this stuff?? Has anyone noticed that our cars say ACURA a grand total of one place? The dashboard below the radio? One. Uno. Eins. A passer-by ogling our cars would have to hunt to figure out what they were even ogling. Fine, I get that everyone has a cell phone and googling "TLX" or "RLX" will take people straight to www.acura.com, but Acura, why make it one step more difficult?? Maybe they want to be their logo: (A)... the manufacturer formerly known as Acura. Let's be clear, the (A) is hardly as recognizable as the Nike swoosh or Coke bottle silhouette. This is such no-brainer stuff that a marketing major intern would learn better practice in brand image 101 class. It's such facepalmingly bad strategy.

Sportiest sedan ever? I can't want to see it. I hope it's called Precision or Legend. Heck, I'd even take an arbitrary acronym over calling it nothing, because based on their strategy, they may plan to call it "The Acura."

Last edited by someguy11; 03-12-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by someguy11 View Post
Good points and great example with the Ford Buckaroo. I LOLed. But the real reason for responding is to say that if Acura really said that, then they are really, seriously, astronomically stupid for no longer putting ACURA badges on their cars. There is a perfect good vacant spot on the drivers side deck lid for ACURA. What could those cost - thirty cents a piece? I don't know when or with which models they stopped doing so, but they ought to know that the masses (95% of women and 40% of men) don't recognize their logo. I've pulled up to people - family, friends and strangers - and get a "nice car! what is it?" to which I say "Acura TLX" then usually get a "who makes that?" I have personally been in this conversation at least a half dozen times. C'mon, I can't be the only one experiencing this stuff?? Has anyone noticed that our cars say ACURA a grand total of one place? The dashboard below the radio? One. Uno. Eins. A passer-by ogling our cars would have to hunt to figure out what they were even ogling. Fine, I get that everyone has a cell phone and googling "TLX" or "RLX" will take people straight to www.acura.com, but Acura, why make it one step more difficult?? Maybe they want to be their logo: (A)... the manufacturer formerly known as Acura. Let's be clear, the (A) is hardly as recognizable as the Nike swoosh or Coke bottle silhouette. This is such no-brainer stuff that a marketing major intern would learn better practice in brand image 101 class. It's such facepalmingly bad strategy.

Sportiest sedan ever? I can't want to see it. I hope it's called Precision or Legend. Heck, I'd even take an arbitrary acronym over calling it nothing. Or maybe they will call it "The Acura."
LOL must be where you live at. Everybody know Acura and Honda where I'm at, they're seen everywhere. We all know the A symbol as well

I doubt the Legend name come back but I agree it would be dope to be maybe the RLX Legend?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Same here in Central Jersey. The brand isn’t exactly lacking in recognition around here....Honda Premium image notwithstanding.

That said, anyone so jaded by this brand should probably just move on. Especially as there are a ton of alternatives out there.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

I’m less than one year into a three year loan and unwilling to throw in the towel at such a steep financial cost. I’ll drive it as long as I can stand it.

My rhetoric is often sarcastic - logos and badges are completely superficial things - but I don’t joke about my experience and the likelihood that my next vehicle won’t be an Acura.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

They're actually coming out with 3 new models. Spy shots below.

They're brining back the 4G but with a convertible option. What a beauty.

And to compete with the R8:

And a new utility vehicle. Inspired by the Pontiac Aztek.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to losiglow For This Useful Post:
justnspace (03-13-2019), Terdbath (03-13-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM
WTF?

Hmmm... The convetable TL might be fun... But option 2 looks like something Lexus though of and failed miserably in test marketing before a prototype was ever built...
Old 03-12-2019, 05:44 PM
WTF?

But we're still waiting for this.......

C'mon Acura!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
PLEASE let Acura rename it "Legend". Pretty please. Really please. I'm pretty sure the Pebble Beach car will be a RLX-type vehicle.
Really what difference does it make at this point.? Honda could bring back the "prelude" if name of the car would make a difference. Update the interior, put a decent trans with some more HP and make the styling better. Outside of a camaro, challenger/charger or mustang which actually look like a modern (well preserved and well styled) version of the old their original designs, it doesn't make much sense. Otherwise, leave the past in the past.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:31 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by jhb31 View Post
Really what difference does it make at this point.? Honda could bring back the "prelude" if name of the car would make a difference. Update the interior, put a decent trans with some more HP and make the styling better. Outside of a camaro, challenger/charger or mustang which actually look like a modern (well preserved and well styled) version of the old their original designs, it doesn't make much sense. Otherwise, leave the past in the past.

I think the Charger looks alright, but the Challenger and Mustang are ugly AF, IMO... Who wants a gigantic curvy box car??? They're still pretty nice, and the Camaro isn't too bad either...

I like how the Accord has always had a classic Honda design... I do love the TLX design minus the hidden exhaust ports.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Moving along

...the same people that asked for Acura to think forward and “be in the future” and be “truly advanced” and all that “move forward” idea are now asking Acura to bring back the names from the 90’s

I understand the nostalgic value a name should have but come on, all we asked for was for Acura to finally move in the right direction and for once it seems like they are (at least on updating current models).
Now that we are seeing these new releases and TLX teases we are getting exclusive with the naming they will use.

Would anyone really care what the name of this sports sedan will be if it actually checks most of our requirement checkboxes?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,758 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31 View Post
I was being tongue in cheek. You guys are taking me WAY too seriously here . I have been a Honda/Acura nerd for 30 years. I remember how good the Legend was for its time, and for an semi-olderish guy like me who remembers the Legend, putting the name on a similarly well-executed product would bring pleasant thoughts of past times. I am not the only one. I know it's not going to happen because alphanumeric babble is all the rage and is supposed to attract Euro car buyers. I'll be happy with a bit more performance and a great look out of either the RLX or TLX. Given the new RDX, I'm feeling as optimistic as I am for the Cleveland Browns...
Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
But we're still waiting for this.......

C'mon Acura!
Wow. Is that for real or just a photochop? I can't tell.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Thanked 13,840 Times in 10,282 Posts
lol losiglow on a roll