Acura is back!

Old 01-22-2018, 02:31 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
I'll keep saying this until they release the 2nd gen TLX. Acura if you're reading this.

Audi and BMW can do this:

Sadly even Audi stopped offering MT on S/RS/R8 models. But they're still available on pedestrian A3/A4's, which I suppose is better than nothing
Old 01-22-2018, 02:58 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I would agree that Audis interiors present very nicely, but frankly i find the materials similar in quality to Acura, in terms of soft foam dashes (thinking A4 and Q5) and use of plastics. Leather wise, you need to move up to Sport seats to get something reasonably soft and comparable to the Milano leather, but a little better bolstered. The virtual dash is cool high tech, but honestly, If I can play with a larger viewing area in the middle of the two gauges, I doubt very much I would be constantly changing the whole array. To me, a larger navigation presentation in front of me would be the main benefit. Audis don't have the most intuitive controls, but tech savvy drivers will get used to them quickly, unlike two screens where it seems German car loving reviewers and millennials seem to have trouble adjusting to anything that doesn't look like an Ipad...heh heh.

The "proposed" RDX interior will certainly be very competitive in the segment. I'm presuming with the 1-1 touch pad control, the driver will never be locked out of using all menus while driving. The new voice system also looks very promising, especially if we Canadians can put in an entire address with one voice command.
I guess a CD player and Hard Drive is out - which is kinda sad for those of us that have 1800 songs on the HD and can access whatever we want by voice, whenever we want it. Sigh...progress....
Agree that Audi interiors tend to "look" high quality on first glance, but closer examination reveals very hard plastics even in places that are easily seen/touched, including the sun visor and other areas highlighted below. Only when one moves up to the A6/A7 does the quality become more acceptable, and then the A8 for there to be no nitpicks at all. The TLX at least felt soft in all of these areas, and still looks more modern (tech aside) compared to A4's/3er's despite all the gripes.

Acura is back!-ouz8qde.jpg
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
The soft touch vs hard touch doesn't both me as much in certain areas as Audi's head unit is much more better than the current TLX. I do agree it could be better, but not a deal breaker in most cases.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by silverTL6
Agree that Audi interiors tend to "look" high quality on first glance, but closer examination reveals very hard plastics even in places that are easily seen/touched, including the sun visor and other areas highlighted below. Only when one moves up to the A6/A7 does the quality become more acceptable, and then the A8 for there to be no nitpicks at all. The TLX at least felt soft in all of these areas, and still looks more modern (tech aside) compared to A4's/3er's despite all the gripes.

And then you sit and it and drive it and live it. Then you don't care about hard plastics you never touch. Sorry, but Acuras are super low quality by comparison. Audi's fit and finish right now is just an ergonomic and design masterpiece. I have tried Merc, Bimmer, Lexus, and Audi and really the Audi is the most strikingly handsome.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Seriously, when was the last time someone touched the glove box compartment and scoffed?

"UGHHHH, I can't touch this, I can only touch things that are purple and velvet."
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-22-2018), kurtatx (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Seriously, when was the last time someone touched the glove box compartment and scoffed?

"UGHHHH, I can't touch this, I can only touch things that are purple and velvet."
Clearly you don't spend enough time in the TLX subsection
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM
#include

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recall being really jazzed about the TLX prototype. The car that rolled off the production line was not remotely the same.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Nykor
I recall being really jazzed about the TLX prototype. The car that rolled off the production line was not remotely the same.
Except for the wheels and the color, the body is 95% the same. A suspension drop and larger wheels can bring you to the TLX prototype.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Agree that Audi interiors tend to "look" high quality on first glance, but closer examination reveals very hard plastics even in places that are easily seen/touched, including the sun visor and other areas highlighted below.
Definitely agree (I sat in a few ones tonight). Even my old one used MUCH better materials. The hard plastic I saw tonight was like the one I saw in the pedestrian Jettas. Really not impressing. Audi had very good interiors in their entry-level until mid 2000s. No more. The $160K(CA) 2018 S7 was ok, though.

Last edited by Saintor; 01-22-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Nykor
what about CTR prototype versus production? Yes i know, not everybody is a fan of the it terms of looks, but wouldn't that be a more recent comparison instead of bringing up the TLX launch 4 years ago?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
3 of you have been temporarily banned for breaking the rules for posting in this subforum after repeated warnings from the staff. Either follow the rules and respect each other's opinion or don't post.
The following 2 users liked this post by ggesq:
ogiewon (01-22-2018), steve_97060 (01-22-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I rather just wait and find out what happens with this RDX. I'm hoping for the best, but due to the past, I'm bracing for the worst. Not hating on the RDX at all... it's just what I've come to expect over the last ten years, from Acura.

Either way, before Jon Ikeda, whoever the guy was that stepped down- that was a terrible era. Even the prototype reveals weren't necessarily earth shattering- not like the new RDX, anyway. I've noticed some people complain about there being too much Honda in the new RDX (crv platform, Accord engine, etc), but, I personally feel they did a wonderful job on it. While yes, the RDX borrows shit from Honda, it seems very well disguised- and that I have no qualms with. I don't need Acura to produce an all new engine or body, at the cost of a ton of R&D, so they can then cut features out of the car to save on costs. I think they struck a very good balance.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:21 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Agreed, I forgot about the CRV platform share and can't tell it was even used. CRV still looks smaller to me than the RDX. They seemed to have done a great job of differentiating them.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I rather just wait and find out what happens with this RDX. I'm hoping for the best, but due to the past, I'm bracing for the worst. Not hating on the RDX at all... it's just what I've come to expect over the last ten years, from Acura.

Either way, before Jon Ikeda, whoever the guy was that stepped down- that was a terrible era. Even the prototype reveals weren't necessarily earth shattering- not like the new RDX, anyway. I've noticed some people complain about there being too much Honda in the new RDX (crv platform, Accord engine, etc), but, I personally feel they did a wonderful job on it. While yes, the RDX borrows shit from Honda, it seems very well disguised- and that I have no qualms with. I don't need Acura to produce an all new engine or body, at the cost of a ton of R&D, so they can then cut features out of the car to save on costs. I think they struck a very good balance.
Let's look at the things that won't change:
1) Acura/RDX get's their own interior, completely separate design from Honda and the CRV.
2) Acura/RDX gets SH-AWD - no Honda branded products have it.

Yes - the powertrain will have shared components (Toyota/Lexus does too!) - but there should be enough higher-end things like adaptive dampers and a different tuning on the turbo to make this a CUV that stands on it's own. Clearly then, this will be the recipe for the TLX and ILX (if it survives) going forward. We'll find out soon enough!
TacoBello (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Originally Posted by kurtatx
And then you sit and it and drive it and live it. Then you don't care about hard plastics you never touch. Sorry, but Acuras are super low quality by comparison. Audi's fit and finish right now is just an ergonomic and design masterpiece. I have tried Merc, Bimmer, Lexus, and Audi and really the Audi is the most strikingly handsome.
My Q5 loaner did drive noticeably better than my TLX 4-cyl loaner, which says a lot given that one is a high-riding CUV (mainly due to its 2.0T and the AWD). But take away the virtual cockpit and/or tech package from both and the Audi starts looking more drab. I suppose it's all subjective since everyone has different tastes and levels of tolerance, I just feel Acura puts more effort into using nicer-feeling materials as a result of trimming costs in other areas.

Originally Posted by justnspace
I'm a nitpicker for details, and expect everything to feel high quality if I'm paying more than $30k for a car. I use/touch the sun visor quite a bit, and could see myself bumping my knees against the glovebox or around the center console when moving around inside, or maybe in an accident. If interior quality wasn't important, maybe we'd all be happy driving Subaru, Ford, or GM products
justnspace (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
My Q5 loaner did drive noticeably better than my TLX 4-cyl loaner, which says a lot given that one is a high-riding CUV (mainly due to its 2.0T and the AWD). But take away the virtual cockpit and/or tech package from both and the Audi starts looking more drab. I suppose it's all subjective since everyone has different tastes and levels of tolerance, I just feel Acura puts more effort into using nicer-feeling materials as a result of trimming costs in other areas.

I'm a nitpicker for details, and expect everything to feel high quality if I'm paying more than $30k for a car. I use/touch the sun visor quite a bit, and could see myself bumping my knees against the glovebox or around the center console when moving around inside, or maybe in an accident. If interior quality wasn't important, maybe we'd all be happy driving Subaru, Ford, or GM products
Very fair points!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
1) Acura/RDX get's their own interior, completely separate design from Honda and the CRV.

Yes - the powertrain will have shared components (Toyota/Lexus does too!) - but there should be enough higher-end things like adaptive dampers and a different tuning on the turbo to make this a CUV that stands on it's own. Clearly then, this will be the recipe for the TLX and ILX (if it survives) going forward. We'll find out soon enough!
Good points. And perhaps given the concerns about the 9 speed, using the 10 speed Honda transmission with at least a bit of a track record and re-tuned for the RDX and perhaps eventually one version of a new TLX, is a good thing.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Team Owner

To add to that, I have a feeling the engine will be a wee bit different than the Accord, just tlike the 2.0T in the CTR is not the same 2.0T in the Accord. I can see Acura shooting for a bit more torque, because SUV, rather than top end horsepower. While the block might be the same, the heads might be tweaked a little. Or intake manifold. Or whatever.
CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Speaking of transmissions, it will be interesting to see what engine and transmission Acura might use for the 2020 TLX 2.4 equivalent, IF they have one. Assuming a 2.0 turbo and 10 speed in the 3.5 equivalent, the 11 speed triple clutch and 3.0 turbo in the Type S, perhaps they will use the 1.5 turbo, retuned with over 200 HP and keep the excellent 8 DCT.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

I wonder if people would pay the price for a TLX with a 1.5T.

I know in reality it makes little difference in the real world, but, it sounds like the 2.4L is mightier than a 1.5T (at least on paper, anyway... ooo.. more displacement.. more power!).... and in the luxury market, those kinds of numbers sell.

Maple, would you buy a TLX with the 1.5T?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM

I know in reality it makes little difference in the real world, but, it sounds like the 2.4L is mightier than a 1.5T (at least on paper, anyway... ooo.. more displacement.. more power!).... and in the luxury market, those kinds of numbers sell.

I think the 1.5T would fit the ILX (assuming it lives to the next gen) - the TLX base would have to have 2.0T. Maybe it's just one powertrain then the Type-S with a V6T?

Then again - if they do away with the ILX then they can have a "cheap" TLX starting with the 1.5T, then the 2.0T and V6T. I get the feeling they want to aim higher (based upon the RDX Proto) in performance (I know I know) so the TLX would have to have some spunk.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Except for the wheels and the color, the body is 95% the same. A suspension drop and larger wheels can bring you to the TLX prototype.
small details are what matter the most. it's particular not the same car if the wheels and color are different.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts

Agreed. And I doubt platform sharing even matters to the common Joe since all they care is what it looks like, and does it have a nice color. Platform sharing only matters to the nutjob enthusiasts, like the residents on this forum.
BEAR-AvHistory (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Good points. And perhaps given the concerns about the 9 speed, using the 10 speed Honda transmission with at least a bit of a track record and re-tuned for the RDX and perhaps eventually one version of a new TLX, is a good thing.
This is actually huge IMO - let the new RDX be the beta tester!
ZipSpeed (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
To add to that, I have a feeling the engine will be a wee bit different than the Accord, just tlike the 2.0T in the CTR is not the same 2.0T in the Accord. I can see Acura shooting for a bit more torque, because SUV, rather than top end horsepower. While the block might be the same, the heads might be tweaked a little. Or intake manifold. Or whatever.
They can make that happen with two engines identically the same mechanically. With the turbos the ECU software is the key to torque & horsepower. I run a number of tunes on the COBRA DOHC V8. One emulates a 1966 427 solid lifter race motor which the famous lumpy idle, good for car shows & cars/coffee. Not a good DD program. My DD driver tune pulls low end torque & add top end power. There are two race tunes drag strip & road course. Takes 10 minutes to change tunes with a hand held input device.

I think the Acura DOHC 3T is going to be as flexible as you can ever want. With a 3.0T I would also expect to see JB4 type boxes that will boost the stock power quite a bit.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

No, I know that. But they went out of their way to differentiate the CTR and Accord Sport engines by changing a number of mechanical bits on them. I know it can be done through just tuning, but I'm getting the feeling they want to maybe give that image that they're different, rather than just a copy-pasta application.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
No, I know that. But they went out of their way to differentiate the CTR and Accord Sport engines by changing a number of mechanical bits on them. I know it can be done through just tuning, but I'm getting the feeling they want to maybe give that image that they're different, rather than just a copy-pasta application.
Different color plastic bits on top with different labeling them will do that. Don't see why they would bring in the low end 2.0T mechanicals to ACURA.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts

Just a comment on your second point. There are Hondas that currently have SH-AWD but they call it I-VTM4. The system on the new pilot and ridgeline are mechanically and electronically the same as SH-AWD and torque vector in curves the exact same way too. They just don’t call it SH-AWD.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10
Just a comment on your second point. There are Hondas that currently have SH-AWD but they call it I-VTM4. The system on the new pilot and ridgeline are mechanically and electronically the same as SH-AWD and torque vector in curves the exact same way too. They just don’t call it SH-AWD.
No kidding - I learned something new today! I didn't even know the Ridgeline was AWD.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Some more information from TOV.

Rocket_man (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
No kidding - I learned something new today! I didn't even know the Ridgeline was AWD.
If I’m not mistaken, the iVTM4 system in the Pilot/Ridgeline is pretty much the SH-AWD system from the 07-13 MDX. The 14+ MDX, apparently has a couple of improvements over the old system. But yes, SH-AWD has trickled down to the Honda lineup. After the 2G TLX has been released, I wonder if the Accord will get it...maybe as part of the MMC refresh.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:03 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F23A4
If I’m not mistaken, the iVTM4 system in the Pilot/Ridgeline is pretty much the SH-AWD system from the 07-13 MDX. The 14+ MDX, apparently has a couple of improvements over the old system. But yes, SH-AWD has trickled down to the Honda lineup. After the 2G TLX has been released, I wonder if the Accord will get it...maybe as part of the MMC refresh.
https://youtu.be/JRgsIIkejOo?t=0m29s

i-VTM4 in action on said Ridgeline. Pretty impressive. I read on an article that the current SH-AWD / i-VTM4 is similar to the unit on the Focus RS, where there are twin hydraulic clutch packs responsible for distributing power to each rear wheel. However SH-AWD sends at least 10% of power to the rear at all times, which means the clutch packs are always slipping. Is there any concern for long term reliability?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Haha all god man! Glad I could help

Originally Posted by F23A4
It is the 16+ MDX that uses the new hydraulic SH-AWD, not the 14+ models. I really doubt that the Accord would ever get AWD because at that point why even buy a TLX?

Originally Posted by GNS1
https://youtu.be/JRgsIIkejOo?t=0m29s

i-VTM4 in action on said Ridgeline. Pretty impressive. I read on an article that the current SH-AWD / i-VTM4 is similar to the unit on the Focus RS, where there are twin hydraulic clutch packs responsible for distributing power to each rear wheel. However SH-AWD sends at least 10% of power to the rear at all times, which means the clutch packs are always slipping. Is there any concern for long term reliability?
If what you are saying is true about the IVTM-4 using hydraulic clutch packs then that means the new pilot and ridgeline are using the same SH-AWD system as the new MDX because the original SH-AWD system used electromagnetic clutches and the new system uses hydraulic clutches. Now as for your question on long term reliability, even the older SH-AWD systems always send 10% power to the rear wheels and there are numerous older Acura models with hundreds of thousands of miles and not a single issue with the SH-AWD system. So do not worry about reliability. Now the new system with hydraulic clutches is new, but it still works on the same principle as the original electromagnetic clutches.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good question. It would depend upon the price and what the HP and torque look like. There is a 5 K difference now between the 2.4 and the 3.5 SH-AWD, and that's worth it to me to have the tech features and comforts I want without the extra $120 month roughly on a lease for the engine and SH-AWD I can live without. I could also go for a 2.0T with 250 HP and the accompanying fuel economy like an Audi A4, but how much would one really save with just different tuning. Without a 1.5 option, I think it is likely, that we will see a 2.0 T and a 3.0 T only. I'll have to live with the extra power, and likely the SH-AWD if Acura Canada doesn't offer the non SH-AWD option (as they don't for the V6). I'll manage
Old 01-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=RDX10;16172229]Haha all god man! Glad I could help

It is the 16+ MDX that uses the new hydraulic SH-AWD, not the 14+ models. I really doubt that the Accord would ever get AWD because at that point why even buy a TLX?

If the TLX retains it's good looks and has improvements similar to the proposed RDX, some good reasons to buy the TLX. The Accord is a nice car, but I am not enamoured with the look, and of course the interior of a TLX should be nicer.
F23A4 (01-27-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
[QUOTE=mapleloaf;16172285]
Haha all god man! Glad I could help

If the TLX retains it's good looks and has improvements similar to the proposed RDX, some good reasons to buy the TLX. The Accord is a nice car, but I am not enamoured with the look, and of course the interior of a TLX should be nicer.
Indeed. The 1G TLX MMC with the diamond grill looks pretty good already, so it would be pretty hard for them to mess it up. But then again, this is Acura so who knows. Since we're on the topic of the 'TLX should be nicer', I'm wondering what kind of upgrades we'll see over the RDX since it's a tier up. We already know a V6T is coming as a possible Type-S, and it should get all the goodies the 2019 RDX is getting.

Here are some guesses:
- Full digital cockpit
- Power trunk lid
- Slightly better and higher wattage sound system
- More aggressive adaptive sport dampers
- Quad exhaust
Old 01-24-2018, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If what you are saying is true about the IVTM-4 using hydraulic clutch packs then that means the new pilot and ridgeline are using the same SH-AWD system as the new MDX because the original SH-AWD system used electromagnetic clutches and the new system uses hydraulic clutches. Now as for your question on long term reliability, even the older SH-AWD systems always send 10% power to the rear wheels and there are numerous older Acura models with hundreds of thousands of miles and not a single issue with the SH-AWD system. So do not worry about reliability. Now the new system with hydraulic clutches is new, but it still works on the same principle as the original electromagnetic clutches.
But the older SH-AWD had planetary gears (one set per rear wheel) which handled the 10% load, and it also had electromagnetic clutch packs (also one set per rear wheel). Therefore the clutch packs in the older system were engaged only to act as a limited slip diff, and they're fully disengaged when not needed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm getting my info from here Acura SH-AWD: A Comprehensive Analysis | YouWheel - Your Car Expert

The new SH-AWD did away with the planetary gear systems and just has the clutch packs alone, and those are constantly slipping to transfer that minimum of 10%. The article I linked says that this is possible because of advanced manufacturing techniques that produce friction material with high wear properties and can still maintain good reliability. I'm sure that it's a wet clutch system, so the differential fluids are helping to keep the clutch packs from wearing too quickly, but the fact remains that it is still slipping anyway. Maybe I'm just overthinking things and this is a non issue.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Agreed, I forgot about the CRV platform share and can't tell it was even used. CRV still looks smaller to me than the RDX. They seemed to have done a great job of differentiating them.
The RDX started with the CRV platform, but the end result is that only the middle part is similar to the CRV's. The front and back are substantially different that it's now considered a new platform. Whereas the CRV can't take V6 or SH-AWD, the RDX platform can do that.

In the past, Acura is Honda+. Seems like going forward, it's more like Honda+++

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Different color plastic bits on top with different labeling them will do that. Don't see why they would bring in the low end 2.0T mechanicals to ACURA.
My understanding is that the RDX 2.0T will be more similar to the one in the Accord. The turbo in the CTR is designed for more top end power and it has much more potential for big power gains. The K20C4 uses a smaller turbo and the engine is tuned for better low and mid range torque, minimizing turbo lag. I suspect the 2.0T in the RDX will be using the same turbo, but tuned to run on premium fuel, along with a few other mods to unlock some more power. I'm guessing 275hp and 285lbft.
F23A4 (01-27-2018)