Accident impact on rear bumper and car electronics

Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Accident impact on rear bumper and car electronics

Need your honest opinion here folks !
I was involved in an accident. This guy (at fault) rear-ended my Acura 17' TLX ( Tech pkg) while in standstill traffic. What happened afterwards was a quick jolt , few indicators came up on Instrument panel and stayed up until I turned off the engine(brake, parking brake, system msg etc) and a dinged up bumper.
Long story short, here is what I have noticed on the car after accident:
a. The at-fault guy's license frame/screws imprinted onto the rear bumper.
b. A dent on the bumper( size of the car key)
c. No exterior visible cracks on the bumper ( other than above dent)
d. Dis-oriented Navigation(vehicle position icon incorrectly appears next to road) and rear camera wide angle view. Yet to try compass calibration.
e. Unknown damages to sensors / rear cam /Electronic components.
Insurance reached out to me offering to repair ( not replace) bumper and gave a unbelievably low estimate and body shop recommendations. My car being less than an year old, I am curious what kind of things should I pay attention to, especially to items c & e - so as to avoid any surprises down the I plan to own the car(plan to keep it for long time)? Should I reach out to the dealer and get an estimate? Do I ask dealer to do some kind of diagnosis to determine any hidden damages? Will the car still be eligible for warranty repairs?

To be honest, I am freaking out as this was a total unnecessary incident involving my favorite car. I am also thankful for the guardian angels watching over us and the car while this incident happened and did not take worse turn. Most of all, Thanks to you all for taking time to read and address concerns on the post.
Cheers !
Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Hopefully, you filed a police report at the scene
secondly, the other guys insurance should pay for all related costs; including diagnostics
after all you were rear ended; no brainer
my advice: TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER; not a cheaper body shop
we're not talking about a "Smart" car, or a cheap Fiat
Your TLX has innumerable electrical connections, that need to be diagnosed, by professionals
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
acura4aj (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
+1 on taking to dealer for full diagnostics.. no reason you need to do any legwork, you weren't at fault.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I'd recommend going through your insurance as they will likely replace with OEM vs. repair, or use of aftermarket replacement, of the bumper cover. It sucks to have to have to wait until the insurance companies duke it out for your deductible, but in the long run it should be less headache. A good bodyshop will take the vehicle to Acura for diagnosis of electronics, but you can ensure they do the work by taking it to your preferred dealership as they likely have a preferred bodyshop, if not their own, which they use themselves.

Last edited by 18TLXAspec; 05-18-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CPR
Hopefully, you filed a police report at the scene
secondly, the other guys insurance should pay for all related costs; including diagnostics
after all you were rear ended; no brainer
my advice: TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER; not a cheaper body shop
we're not talking about a "Smart" car, or a cheap Fiat
Your TLX has innumerable electrical connections, that need to be diagnosed, by professionals
Good luck!
Absolutely agree on your "Smart" car comment. This has been my concern right from the day of accident. Is there a special diagnostics I should be requesting the dealer or specific codes to look for? Thank You again for your reply.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
+1 on taking to dealer for full diagnostics.. no reason you need to do any legwork, you weren't at fault.
Great suggestion regarding the full diagnostics. I will have my dealer look at the car soon.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
I'd recommend going through your insurance as they will likely replace with OEM vs. repair, or use of aftermarket replacement, of the bumper cover. It sucks to have to have to wait until the insurance companies duke it out for your deductible, but in the long run it should be less headache. A good bodyshop will take the vehicle to Acura for diagnosis of electronics, but you can ensure they do the work by taking it to your preferred dealership as they likely have a preferred bodyshop, if not their own, which they use themselves.
Thank You for your reply. Insurance folks did reach out and they have been pushing on to get the car repaired at their preferred body shop. I have insisted to be looked by Acura dealers. I am scheduling an appointment soon to have the car looked at the trained Acura techs.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I work at a dealer and am very OCD with my TLX here is my opinion

Do everything thru your dealership and insurance. If someone wants body work done, we will provide them a loaner and outsource it to a body shop. Yes, in the long run will cost the client more than if they went to body shop directly, but in your case you wouldn't be paying.

This way the dealer has to ensure everything is like new, including all electronics, before handing the keys back to you. Contact your local dealer and see if they can do that. Im sure they would love the business!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by spoiler900
I work at a dealer and am very OCD with my TLX here is my opinion

Do everything thru your dealership and insurance. If someone wants body work done, we will provide them a loaner and outsource it to a body shop. Yes, in the long run will cost the client more than if they went to body shop directly, but in your case you wouldn't be paying.

This way the dealer has to ensure everything is like new, including all electronics, before handing the keys back to you. Contact your local dealer and see if they can do that. Im sure they would love the business!
Extremely appreciate your reply ! I am very much inclined to get the car worked on at the dealership than a independent auto body shop just because the dealership backs rest of the car besides the bumper and electronics. Thank you again for the much needed assurance !
Old 05-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I had this exact same accident. I'm at a stoplight.... a stoplight.... and I'm watching in my rear view mirror some idiot drop his phone and reach down to look for it but he has not stopped yet. He finished his stop in my rear bumper. Not much of an impact but it put two holes in the bumper cover where his license plate screws punctured the cover. The at fault driver paid for the repair without going through insurance. I had a local body shop put a new bumper cover on. Has to be painted since they are unpainted new. Total cost was just shy of $1,000. They gave my the option to repair the cover but I wanted a new cover. A repaired cover would be much cheaper and avoid the time it takes to get the new part in. It was really really annoying but the body shop did a good job and it looks new.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Don't understand if you were rear ended & not at fault why the insurance company is "pushing" anything. Take it into the dealer.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I had this exact same accident. I'm at a stoplight.... a stoplight.... and I'm watching in my rear view mirror some idiot drop his phone and reach down to look for it but he has not stopped yet. He finished his stop in my rear bumper. Not much of an impact but it put two holes in the bumper cover where his license plate screws punctured the cover. The at fault driver paid for the repair without going through insurance. I had a local body shop put a new bumper cover on. Has to be painted since they are unpainted new. Total cost was just shy of $1,000. They gave my the option to repair the cover but I wanted a new cover. A repaired cover would be much cheaper and avoid the time it takes to get the new part in. It was really really annoying but the body shop did a good job and it looks new.
I share the similar experience and it just hurts to know how distracted drivers mess up others day without a concern to fellow road users. The insurance just drops their stance as soon as they figure out its "just" some damage to the car Vs injuries involved in the accident. I was offered a quote to repair but not to replace. My request to get it replaced through the dealer is still under review. Thank You for sharing your experience.