3.7 shawd - tlx 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
3.7 shawd - tlx 3.5

Hey guys, well coming from my 3.7(2013) to the V6 TLX it has some differences.

the 4th gen was a great car solid and heavy, would move when needed too and suspension was stiff which I liked. overall the car was very heavy and hard to get moving and on hot days stop and go forget it. my base 3.5 TL 2012 was lighter and much quicker. the 6 speed tranny was slow most of the time and would have rough shift and feel like its banging gears. but overall I loved the car and had to let it go. dealer gave me a good deal on the TLX lease and wrote of a number of issues on the car.

since 2002 and my tl type S that was supercharged rough shifting has been embedded into me and I expected them for all my cars lol so the rough shifting in the new TLX is actually normal to me from 1-2 and 2-3 whenever and if they come out with a fix ill be happy

VCM vibration will need to be resolved by disabling it, I don't think acura or Honda will accomplish this so we will need to rely on hondata or ktuner which already has this option for the V6 accords. as for the vibration im use to that as well. my 2012 and 2013 TL had is no matter what I tried to do it was always there. on the TLX its not that bad once the VCM is disable this car will be smooth as butter

now the main thing that the should fix is the response of the car, I shouldn't have to step on the gas peddle to the floor to make the car move or step on the pedal and wait 1 second for it to pick up a little. paddle shifters fixed this I simply down shift twice which changing lanes or need to pick up and the car drives the way its suppose to. use to do this with my 3.7 as well. but all in all it feel lighter and quicker. softer compared to it as well.

I have owned a lot of acura's and I got use to the way there car runs, I usually keep them a year or two and have the dealer buy out my lease and get into something new.

I currently have a 14 TSX as well, no issue what so ever smooth glass and solid as a tank.

but over all I love the car its is very comfortable to drive.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Interesting comments. I have never had VCM until now, as I always drove 4 cylinders prior to getting my TLX 3.5 SH-AWD. I have never noticed any issues with VCM vibration, so am curious as to whether others are more sensitive to it. I also have no issues with the acceleration when the car downshifts and find it very responsive at cruising speeds when I need extra power. You are not the first to mention this, so I wonder how we can have such different experiences. Perhaps my 4 cylinder past? Either way, some have described this as a safety issue, which I just don't see. However, i also don't get the hard shifts 90% of the time, especially if I am using ECO to start my daily commutes.

My other vehicle is a 14 Altima with a CVT. A lot of folks have complained about the CVT, especially what is referred to as the band feel of the transmission at lower speeds. It does take a split second to speed up from stop, but then is quite quick after that. I believe that as more people have become accustomed to CVTs, they have adjusted and appreciate the better gas mileage. Perhaps that will be the way things go with the 9 speed transmission. Time will tell.

Thanks for sharing your views.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
yeah that is weird some members have these issue and some don't. I hardly drive the car maybe twice a week. let see how things unfold, the dealer could never fix the vibration on my 3.7 so lets hope something comes out for the 3.5.

around 50 and above you should start to feel the vibration.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
i own an 08 accord as well (the worst implementation of vcm) and have tried the 6at odyssey, 6at 16 pilot, and 6at mdx. It is transparent in the latter two for sure, looks like they need at least until the mmc to smooth it out perfectly with the 9AT