AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   2020 TLX PMC Edition (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/2020-tlx-pmc-edition-978675/)

CybrRdr 04-11-2019 08:14 AM

2020 TLX PMC Edition

So Acura will offer basically a limited edition "hand built" TLX A-Spec trim with Advance Package starting at $50,000. What?! Who would buy this? Why not just wait for the upcoming Type-S? Looks like they will make a MDX PMC version too.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/11/...alongside-nsx/

012TL-GLM 04-11-2019 08:17 AM

Kids look!! Tits on a bull!

edmua6 04-11-2019 08:24 AM

Uhm, Canada has this already (in terms of A-Spec with features of the Advance trim)? Been driving one for a year now.

fiatlux 04-11-2019 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CybrRdr (Post 16410058)
So Acura will offer basically a limited edition "hand built" TLX A-Spec trim with Advance Package starting at $50,000. What?! Who would buy this? Why not just wait for the upcoming Type-S? Looks like they will make a MDX PMC version too.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/11/...alongside-nsx/

maybe it means the type s ain’t coming anytime soon. Does not surprise me at all.

pyrodan007 04-11-2019 09:06 AM

Hmm, if hand built why not change the engine components too? If the frame is already robot wielded, aren't the technicians doing the same thing as the Ohio plant? For 50k US, no one will buy one.

Must be because the technicians are not getting a lot of NSX orders, must do something for union requirements.

a35tl 04-11-2019 09:26 AM

I like the fact that the US will finally have the option to buy a fully loaded A-Spec model. And isn't the Valencia Red the same color that Acura used on the '15 TLX Prototype? The color everyone raved about but no one was allowed to purchase? Seems like this is Acura's last shot in the arm to the current generation TLX. Next generation will very likely be out in '20 as a '21 model.

ZipSpeed 04-11-2019 11:14 AM

This marketing stunt is basically Acura's way of telling us there will be nothing exciting this year for Acura products. RDX will be carrying the freshness of the brand on its own for awhile longer.

FLYGUY31 04-11-2019 11:16 AM

Why would anyone buy this? Same old head unit. Same bad transmission. Color looks great. But those options should have already been included.

mk5 04-11-2019 03:03 PM

This looks to me like a "Special Edition" that Honda/Acura usually rolls out in the last year of production before a new model is introduced.

Honestly, that color should've been in the lineup all along, but I'm glad they finally got to it. I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled that color over
to the new model (which would be a good thing).

Beached 04-11-2019 04:25 PM

Acura, know your audience fools!

All we want is an Acura badge on an improved version of the Honda Accord so everyone knows it’s reliable....Nicer sheet metal, slightly better leather and speakers, standard sunroof and slightly better driving dynamics. Put all that on the accord platform with an acurrrrrrrra badge and charge us about $5k more than a loaded Accord. Turbo the 3.5L and add a type S for $7-$10k more than that. You’ll sell way more than the 30k units you sell a year of this TLX...

My $.02...

fiatlux 04-11-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Beached (Post 16410372)
Acura, know your audience fools!

All we want is an Acura badge on an improved version of the Honda Accord so everyone knows it’s reliable....Nicer sheet metal, slightly better leather and speakers, standard sunroof and slightly better driving dynamics. Put all that on the accord platform with an acurrrrrrrra badge and charge us about $5k more than a loaded Accord. Turbo the 3.5L and add a type S for $7-$10k more than that. You’ll sell way more than the 30k units you sell a year of this TLX...

My $.02...

But the TLX is an improved version of the Honda Accord that was current when it first came out, and is roughly $5K more than a loaded Accord...

ESHBG 04-11-2019 05:06 PM

Looks like they are only making 360 of them and it doesn't seem like it's a true mix between the A-SPEC and Advanced from the below breakdown (but the article above does state that clearly). I am really at a loss here and maybe down the road Acura will get it together but this seems like yet again giving folks something other than what they really want.

Here’s the full rundown of what you get with a 2020 Acura TLX PMC:

1. Valencia Red Pearl nano pigment paint
  2. Unique PMC Edition numbered serial plaque
  3. Gloss black 19-inch split-5-spoke wheels with black lug nuts
  4. Gloss black roof panel
  5. Gloss black door handles
  6. Gloss black diamond pentagon grille with body-colored grille surround
  7. Dual 4-inch black chrome exhaust finishers
  8. Premium black Milano leather seats with Alcantara™ inserts, black piping and red stitching
  9. Perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel with red stitching and paddle shifters
  10. Red stitching on door panel, center console, and armrest
  11. Premium floormats with metal A-Spec badging
https://jalopnik.com/acura-is-softly...1833976807/amp

Beached 04-11-2019 05:13 PM

Except it’s not. Acura tried to get fancy and added a flawed 9speed trans and some other trickery to try to separate themselves in the marketplace. The forums are peppered with complaints and issues related to these.

All I’m saying is that in my opinion Acura doesn’t have to do all that. Just build a reliable slightly nicer version of the accord with their badge and charge a premium for it and they will have an easier time making and selling cars.

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16410385)
But the TLX is an improved version of the Honda Accord that was current when it first came out, and is roughly $5K more than a loaded Accord...

fiatlux 04-11-2019 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Beached (Post 16410390)
Except it’s not. Acura tried to get fancy and added a flawed 9speed trans and some other trickery to try to separate themselves in the marketplace. The forums are peppered with complaints and issues related to these.

All I’m saying is that in my opinion Acura doesn’t have to do all that. Just build a reliable slightly nicer version of the accord with their badge and charge a premium for it and they will have an easier time making and selling cars.

Ah, I'm just thinking about the 2.4 version. Pretty much the same engine (different but better transmission). It's been everything I expected it to be; a reliable, nicer version of the Accord. The 3.5 wouldn't be far off other than for lousy transmission, but I guess they thought it wouldn't be a good look if the higher more expensive trim had an old-school slushbox while the lower trim had a modern DCT.

Speed_Racer 04-11-2019 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16410386)
Looks like they are only making 360 of them and it doesn't seem like it's a true mix between the A-SPEC and Advanced from the below breakdown (but the article above does state that clearly). I am really at a loss here and maybe down the road Acura will get it together but this seems like yet again giving folks something other than what they really want.

Here’s the full rundown of what you get with a 2020 Acura TLX PMC:

1. Valencia Red Pearl nano pigment paint
  2. Unique PMC Edition numbered serial plaque
  3. Gloss black 19-inch split-5-spoke wheels with black lug nuts
  4. Gloss black roof panel
  5. Gloss black door handles
  6. Gloss black diamond pentagon grille with body-colored grille surround
  7. Dual 4-inch black chrome exhaust finishers
  8. Premium black Milano leather seats with Alcantara™ inserts, black piping and red stitching
  9. Perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel with red stitching and paddle shifters
  10. Red stitching on door panel, center console, and armrest
  11. Premium floormats with metal A-Spec badging
https://jalopnik.com/acura-is-softly...1833976807/amp

Also includes, Surround View camera, power folding mirrors, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel which Canada already gets in their ASpec Elite trim I believe. While at $50,000 the added features are about what you'd expect to be priced above a regular ASpec AWD model. And that NSX paint does look amazing in person. But no manual no like. If it had a 6speed manual, I think I'd actually want one. With only 360 of them, it might not take much to sell them unless stupid dealers try to mark these up to $60k.

justnspace 04-11-2019 08:14 PM

from a TEDTalks I recently watched

Why do we like what we like? Raymond Loewy, the father of industrial design, had a theory. He was the all-star 20th-century designer of the Coca-Cola fountain and Lucky Strike pack; the modern sports car, locomotive, Greyhound bus and tractor; the interior of the first NASA spaceship; and the egg-shaped pencil sharpener. How did one man understand what consumers wanted from so many different areas of life? His grand theory of popularity was called MAYA: Most advanced yet acceptable. He said humans are torn between two opposing forces: neophilia, a love of new things; and neophobia; a fear of anything that’s too new. Hits, he said, live at the perfect intersection of novelty and familiarity. They are familiar surprises.

seems as if Acura is always missing the mark between familiarity and surprise.

BEAR-AvHistory 04-11-2019 09:27 PM

In other news the next generation mid engine Corvette now has a revel date 7.18.19 as a 2020 model @ $62,000

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...4391687668.jpg

Lady in the car is GM CEO Mary Barra

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...4a87ae15c.jpeg

neuronbob 04-11-2019 10:06 PM

^^^
That could be my next car. I'm in wuv. The new 'vette will make a nice roomie to my V wagon if the hype turns out to be accurate.

As for the PMC edition TLX...it's a hand-built version of what Canada has had for two years...A-Spec + Advance. If it had a 6MT, it would have been special enough to merit numbering as a limited edition. I would have *bought* (not leased) one....a J35 + SH-AWD + 6MT. Acura had ONE job...siiiiiiigh.

Sloppy305 04-12-2019 12:56 AM

Pmc

We knew that the type S was not coming this year as soon as they announced the presentation of the “sportiest sedan” during the Pebble Beach event. I still think this will be the new RLX btw.

I don’t know why people complain about this PMC move. They only made a small amount of them and at $50k it’s clear that Acura is testing the price range for the upcoming Type S.

This is a transition model. “Here is a shiny object while we finish the Type S”.

One question that I still have however, those mules we saw tested against Audi and MB...was it for this PMC model or was it for the Type S?
Im assuming since PMC doesn’t have any engine upgrades, the mules are for the Type S model...thoughts?

silverTL6 04-12-2019 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by pyrodan007 (Post 16410084)
Hmm, if hand built why not change the engine components too? If the frame is already robot wielded, aren't the technicians doing the same thing as the Ohio plant? For 50k US, no one will buy one.

Must be because the technicians are not getting a lot of NSX orders, must do something for union requirements.

Cuz that requires more testing and certification ($$$), and we all know their bean counters wouldn't allow it. Can't really blame them tho given the limited quantities, plus there isn't a higher performing motor available other than the NSX's TT V6 (which is even more $$$).

fiatlux 04-12-2019 07:50 AM

Do we even know that the Type S will ever see the light of day? It’s feeling a lot like Duke Nukem all over again. Given how many years (10+) it took for the NSX to come out, Acura doesn’t exactly have a strong track record in this department.

Speed_Racer 04-12-2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16410570)
Do we even know that the Type S will ever see the light of day? It’s feeling a lot like Duke Nukem all over again. Given how many years (10+) it took for the NSX to come out, Acura doesn’t exactly have a strong track record in this department.

Acura themselves has said as much and there are mules running with "Type S" like features, so it's just a waiting game, but all bets are next year for the Type S to show itself. Notice I said "show itself" and not sell yet. For all we know we get a Type S concept late fall next year for a 2021 sale date. Who knows. . .

pyrodan007 04-12-2019 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by silverTL6 (Post 16410522)
Cuz that requires more testing and certification ($$$), and we all know their bean counters wouldn't allow it. Can't really blame them tho given the limited quantities, plus there isn't a higher performing motor available other than the NSX's TT V6 (which is even more $$$).

While I do agree, they could have added something a little more special then just paint here and recycled options there. Better suspension, performance tires, or sport tuned exhaust; anything not needing a full retest for cert.

Using the performance division just for paint, meh

Speed_Racer 04-14-2019 06:23 PM

I'm just wondering what the true cost of that paint job is. It's a $6,000 option on the NSX and could you imagine getting into an accident needing that repainted? Can't imagine that cost or what you'd have to settle with after.

silverTL6 04-15-2019 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by pyrodan007 (Post 16410817)
While I do agree, they could have added something a little more special then just paint here and recycled options there. Better suspension, performance tires, or sport tuned exhaust; anything not needing a full retest for cert.

Using the performance division just for paint, meh

Someone mentioned using the 310hp V6 from the base RLX...that prolly would've made the biggest impact and likely still cheaper to re-certify vs. this PMC nonsense. But again this is Acura we're talking about, where the light's on but nobody's ever home :rolleyes:

chums 04-15-2019 10:48 PM

I bought my 19 A-Spec 2.4 for 34K and read you can buy the V6 version for around 35-37K. Wrap the roof in piano black for $300 and you almost have the PMC version without the number badge, the special red color, and the dark chrome. Why pay 50K?

Tony Pac 04-16-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by pyrodan007 (Post 16410084)
For 50k US, no one will buy one.

This is a very BOLD statement. "NO ONE".

But I do agree that since it's the last year model, It won't attract as many people as it should. Also, I believe Acura is just cashing out a bit more money. They know the current TLX life cycle is over.

A quick question: I remember you wrote once (back in spring 2018) that there is 10,000 pre-ordered Infiniti QX50. I was wondering what happened to that? As we all see the QX50 failed miserably and Infiniti can't even sell 3,000 unit per month. Could you please share with us your thoughts, as I believe you have some inside news about Infiniti.

On the contrary, RDX is killing it and competing with Germans and giving them a hard time, even though it did not have 10,000 pre-ordered.

GhostTL09 04-16-2019 10:53 AM

there are 360 people that will buy that TLX, some have already decided they will, some are on the fence and some will go to the lot to get an Advance or Aspec and see the PMC, the dealer will work the numbers and they'll be driving off the lot with a 50k TLX. Think in terms of the mass population. Most people get very weak on the dealer lot.

There is a reason they aren't trying to sell 40,000 units of them. But they understand they can get 360 off the lot

pyrodan007 04-16-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by GhostTL09 (Post 16412101)
there are 360 people that will buy that TLX, some have already decided they will, some are on the fence and some will go to the lot to get an Advance or Aspec and see the PMC, the dealer will work the numbers and they'll be driving off the lot with a 50k TLX. Think in terms of the mass population. Most people get very weak on the dealer lot.

There is a reason they aren't trying to sell 40,000 units of them. But they understand they can get 360 off the lot

I'm not too sure about that. Unlike German buyers who buy badges, most Acura buyers seek out good deals. 50k for paint exclusivity is a bit too much to ask. Similar prices gets you performance upgrades in other companies.

a35tl 04-16-2019 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by GhostTL09 (Post 16412101)

I agree. I have no doubt they will sell every single one of them.

Mak P 04-16-2019 06:36 PM

I wonder does it have the vibration issue :naughty:

someguy11 04-16-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by pyrodan007 (Post 16412170)
I'm not too sure about that. Unlike German buyers who buy badges, most Acura buyers seek out good deals. 50k for paint exclusivity is a bit too much to ask. Similar prices gets you performance upgrades in other companies.

I couldn’t have agreed more with your previous post. In fact, I was tempted to expound on it and say Acura missed an opportunity to do something - practically anything - to make this special besides just paint. Like you said, they could have called up Mugen or HRC for headers, exhaust, suspension... bolt anything onto this car. Acura could have gone berserk mode like Buick did for the last year of the Grand National with a GNX. But they copped out with red paint. They will indeed sell 360, but not to anyone who loves cars.

But your Euro dig here is a little off. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and for the sake of conversation Volvo, Volkswagen, Jaguar and Skoda as well, build “better” cars than Acura. If you’ve driven any of those, you would admit they are tighter, faster, sportier, quieter, more responsive, more technological, with higher quality materials and more plush seating. Euro cars are quite superior to Lexus and Acura in every single metric except reliability. You don’t buy Euro for the badge. You buy Euro because it’s a better automobile up to the time the warranty expires. Acura, Lexus and Infiniti buyers want some Euro prestige with much better longevity and reliability.

Tony Pac 04-16-2019 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by a35tl (Post 16412258)
I agree. I have no doubt they will sell every single one of them.

Agreed! They will ...360 unit is nothing, Acura will kill it. If it was 36,000 unit, then it's a different story.

Acura isn't infiniti lol. They came up with IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) in Canada and they couldn't even keep it for a year. They had to shut down that line.

BEAR-AvHistory 04-17-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16412338)
I couldn’t have agreed more with your previous post. In fact, I was tempted to expound on it and say Acura missed an opportunity to do something - practically anything - to make this special besides just paint. Like you said, they could have called up Mugen or HRC for headers, exhaust, suspension... bolt anything onto this car. Acura could have gone berserk mode like Buick did for the last year of the Grand National with a GNX. But they copped out with red paint. They will indeed sell 360, but not to anyone who loves cars.

But your Euro dig here is a little off. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and for the sake of conversation Volvo, Volkswagen, Jaguar and Skoda as well, build “better” cars than Acura. If you’ve driven any of those, you would admit they are tighter, faster, sportier, quieter, more responsive, more technological, with higher quality materials and more plush seating. Euro cars are quite superior to Lexus and Acura in every single metric except reliability. You don’t buy Euro for the badge. You buy Euro because it’s a better automobile up to the time the warranty expires. Acura, Lexus and Infiniti buyers want some Euro prestige with much better longevity and reliability.

Agree, I buy a car because I like it & it does what I want it to do. I also shop nation wide to get the best price. Would agree that there are Euro badge buyers but a Civic buyer could think an TLX buyer is a badge buyer. A lot depends where you stand on your car budget as to how you perceiveother brands.

Big badge buyer vs performance debate right now on the Corvette C8 forum about StingRay vs Porsche & the Euro Exotics

One think to think about with both BMW & Porsche is outside of Miatia they have the most owner/drivers doing track days & competing in national race series. BMW & Porsche have HPDS for their customers & a track day car delivery program free for any new car buyer.

someguy11 04-17-2019 06:30 PM

^Good points and I can’t believe I forgot Porsche, which is unquestionably the top Euro brand focused on performance. Porsche and the BMW Ms are pretty incredible driving machines. I’d be surprised and impressed if a Type S is anything close to an M3 or 718 S, if that is indeed Acura’s goal. I mean geez, those are 4 second cars that make the 10 best list right off the lot for $70k... not much more than whatever numbers around $60k for a Type S I’ve seen thrown around by forum members here.

I’m sure there are Honda guys who buy Acura and VW guys who buy Audi just for the badge, no doubt. But generally speaking, Euros are amazing cars for the extra money.

BEAR-AvHistory 04-17-2019 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16412891)
^Good points and I can’t believe I forgot Porsche, which is unquestionably the top Euro brand focused on performance. Porsche and the BMW Ms are pretty incredible driving machines. I’d be surprised and impressed if a Type S is anything close to an M3 or 718 S, if that is indeed Acura’s goal. I mean geez, those are 4 second cars that make the 10 best list right off the lot for $70k... not much more than whatever numbers around $60k for a Type S I’ve seen thrown around by forum members here.

I’m sure there are Honda guys who buy Acura and VW guys who buy Audi just for the badge, no doubt. But generally speaking, Euros are amazing cars for the extra money.

Hey my 440 MPPSK is no pooch in the 0-60 run. In car GSP BMW Lap Timer

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...4ae7e81d8d.jpg
93 octane Launch Control

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e4dd922ca8.jpg
100 Octane. Launch Control

New G 340 should be equal to or better then my car as I am 355BHP advertised & the new generation M340 is 382BHP advertised.

Nytetime6 04-18-2019 11:32 AM

Looks great to me.

Mak P 04-18-2019 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nytetime6 (Post 16413252)

exterior looks fire

F23A4 04-21-2019 08:07 PM

No question, it's the nicest looking TLX to date. I'm just not willing to pay $50k for it when a 2G 3.0T version could be right around the corner. But, I'm sure there'll be 360 Hondaphiles who will be happy to part with $50k for this version. So, it's likely a low-risk proposition for the brand.

justnspace 04-21-2019 08:16 PM

Suckers, those 360 people are SUCKERS.

we've all seen it....in 4 years, the car will not be any more special than any other TLX on the road.