2019 TLX A-Spec damaged by tinters

Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Does the shop understand that the cost to replace the dash is going to be many multiple times the cost of a tint refund? I don’t see how this makes financial sense from their standpoint, but haven’t been part of the conversations and don’t know what you have asked for or allowed.
Its you car and you cans do as you wish - but believe you are opening a can of worms of potential other problems vs living with a cosmetic one. I understand it’s a brand new car, but I see significantly more downside than up in moving forward with your plan.
The following 2 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
a35tl (06-17-2019), KrylonBlue (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Does the shop understand that the cost to replace the dash is going to be many multiple times the cost of a tint refund? I don’t see how this makes financial sense from their standpoint, but haven’t been part of the conversations and don’t know what you have asked for or allowed.
Its you car and you cans do as you wish - but believe you are opening a can of worms of potential other problems vs living with a cosmetic one. I understand it’s a brand new car, but I see significantly more downside than up in moving forward with your plan.
I guess not. They’re using insurance to solve the issue rather than their own money.

Besides, it’s not that I’d let this go for $350 tints. It’s not that simple. But I do agree this can open a bag of worms. When I initially got a quote from Acura regarding this the Service Manager told me that in the past he would have never recommended a dashboard replacement but the TLX is a simple replacement. But still, I’m sure, as he would openly admit, opens chances to more issues as the dashboard may not be 100% right anymore. There are always risks. It’s become easier but that doesn’t absolve all issues.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
PLEASE, please listen to me...I logged in after not being on the forum for over a year so I can reply to you. DON'T replace the dashboard. Hear me out please. I have lost almost $10K trading in car after car after another car because I wanted to iron out cosmetic flaws on my new car. It's all downhill once you tear into that dash. Do whatever you can to color match it and LIVE WITH IT. Blast the shop all over social media, SUE them, whatever you feel like you need to do but do not tear that dash apart. I've owned more cars than I care to admit in last 2 years because I did this with my TLX when I first got it. I made the same mistake with my replacement car, new Accord 2.0T 6MT. I was back at the dealer within 7 days complaining about cosmetics and by the end of that week, I had my car ripped apart so many times that it was never the same. I now own a brand new 2019 Accord, 2.0T 6MT again and same as before, minor cosmetic things that I don't dare have "fixed". Taking that dash off, it's game over for structural integrity of your interior. You'll get creaks and rattles on the way home that same day. When you're bored, go sit near your dealer and watch the techs as they go about their day. They don't care one bit about your car. They will rush that dash job to get it done under time and get paid for not working whatever time they can shave off so they can go outside and smoke a cig. Please take my advice, leave your dash alone in terms of having it replaced. There is no scenario where new dash and 100+ parts that need to be removed and re-installed are going to be done as they were going down the assembly line. I speak from experience. You start down that road and you'll be trading in your car in 6 months because you will hate driving it. I know they ruined your new car joy but it's done and can't turn back time. Find a way to live with the stains or have them near neutralized. Don't replace the dash.
The following 3 users liked this post by loki:
a35tl (06-18-2019), KrylonBlue (06-18-2019), someguy11 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
PLEASE, please listen to me...I logged in after not being on the forum for over a year so I can reply to you. DON'T replace the dashboard. Hear me out please. I have lost almost $10K trading in car after car after another car because I wanted to iron out cosmetic flaws on my new car. It's all downhill once you tear into that dash. Do whatever you can to color match it and LIVE WITH IT. Blast the shop all over social media, SUE them, whatever you feel like you need to do but do not tear that dash apart. I've owned more cars than I care to admit in last 2 years because I did this with my TLX when I first got it. I made the same mistake with my replacement car, new Accord 2.0T 6MT. I was back at the dealer within 7 days complaining about cosmetics and by the end of that week, I had my car ripped apart so many times that it was never the same. I now own a brand new 2019 Accord, 2.0T 6MT again and same as before, minor cosmetic things that I don't dare have "fixed". Taking that dash off, it's game over for structural integrity of your interior. You'll get creaks and rattles on the way home that same day. When you're bored, go sit near your dealer and watch the techs as they go about their day. They don't care one bit about your car. They will rush that dash job to get it done under time and get paid for not working whatever time they can shave off so they can go outside and smoke a cig. Please take my advice, leave your dash alone in terms of having it replaced. There is no scenario where new dash and 100+ parts that need to be removed and re-installed are going to be done as they were going down the assembly line. I speak from experience. You start down that road and you'll be trading in your car in 6 months because you will hate driving it. I know they ruined your new car joy but it's done and can't turn back time. Find a way to live with the stains or have them near neutralized. Don't replace the dash.
I’m going to send you a PM

Everyone else, deal is done. Not going to go into details but it wasn’t the original plan.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
I hope you do update us once it's done or a few years down the line as to what all happened.. "not going into details" is a lame response

I'd love to see how this can of worms 'resolves' itself.
The following users liked this post:
KrylonBlue (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I hope you do update us once it's done or a few years down the line as to what all happened.. "not going into details" is a lame response

I'd love to see how this can of worms 'resolves' itself.
I will. I just need to finalize a few things first. Lol.

Can of worms suck don't they?

And haha, they didn't resolve themself. I had to work on a few things to make this happen. In the end, to keep it short, the shop/insurance made it right.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 06-18-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 PM

Tint shop is going to buy your car outright from you and you get to start over?????
Old 06-18-2019, 08:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Tint shop is going to buy your car outright from you and you get to start over?????
😂

That certainly would be nice, lol.

I wish. I don’t think that’s ever happened haha.

But it’s a solution I can live with without worrying about a new dash messing up my car.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
But it’s a solution I can live with without worrying about a new dash messing up my car.
But you are going to keep us in suspenders, huh?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM
AZ Community Team

But you are going to keep us in suspenders, huh?
Nope.

Once its finalized I will be sure to update everyone. You’ve all been great with the help and I do appreciate it. 😎
Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DashMat??
Old 06-25-2019, 09:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by davidg4781
DashMat??
I still can’t believe those exist, lol.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Positive post... this car is sexy at night
That interior accent lighting is legit. Wish my 2019 RDX had it. Luckily, I got the same car as yours as a loaner for a couple days. Makes me want a TLX A-Spec!
KrylonBlue (07-30-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems to me you are being pretty cool about it like have a decent attitude. I would have burnt that tint shop down to the ground by now. I don’t know. If acura says your stuck, investigate the cost for a new dash and install. They absolutely damaged your car and have insurance to cover exactly this type of thing. Don’t hesitate to threaten small claims court and the introduction of an attorney to handle it. Again you are being reasonable.
Beautiful TLX. I took delivery of my ‘16 used last week.
KrylonBlue (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Acubruh
That interior accent lighting is legit. Wish my 2019 RDX had it. Luckily, I got the same car as yours as a loaner for a couple days. Makes me want a TLX A-Spec!
I actually have a 2020 RDX ASPEC loaner right now because my driver side rocker panel is being replaced. The bracket was broken from the factory and the initial fix Acura wants was 3M tape. The issue is the tape actually pulled the bracket more overtime and snapped it. So a whole new ASPEC rocker panel it is. 😎

The ASPEC RDX SHAWD seems to handle better than the non ASPEC. Is there any reason for this such as tires? The same goes for the TLX ASPEC compared to the base model. I may just be going crazy though.

Side note, Acura messed up bad with the RDX ASPEC. You’ll notice on my TLX images the dashboard is a mixture of white and red which is gorgeous. While I do love the black and red seats I just can’t stand the all red cluster. It’s annoying to my eyes. The white gauge is the TLX.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Its time to enjoy this beauty. ❤️

Long story short my preferred Acura dealer agreed that a new dashboard was possible but warned me of the risks of rattles. Of course, they could try and address any rattles if they happened but in the end that’s an uphill battle with a lot of possible annoyances. The service GM actually recommended that I avoid doing it given how much I notice the small things compared to the average consumer.

As for the tint shop, that matter was settled a bit ago. They were really good about everything and their insurance was quick to handle it. They wrote the check out to me which covers the damages and I’ve moved on as I’m still enjoying the joy of driving the car. ❤️

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 07-31-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:02 PM
AZ Community Team

I got the car back today and the new rocker panel is also all scratched up in the same spot. I took a picture but the camera only picked up maybe 2 of the many scratches. The dealer service GM is contacting Acura because they believe something is wrong with the manufacturing process given that it’s happened twice in the same spot. Also, the panel is pulling away quite a bit because it’s deformed a bit. Oh well, they said I’ll hear from them once Acura has a solution. No biggie. After the dashboard issue I’m done stressing over this nonsense.

(I had the panel replaced due to the bracket issue and the new one was all scratched up on top there. The new one, which is technically the 3rd, also has the issue. This obviously goes with the “if it ain’t broke don’t fit it” territory as it will be an uphill battle. Funny enough, the solid one actually broke and the replacements have been horrible. Go figure! I wish I didn’t have to fix it to the begin with. Plastic am I right?)

On the bright side, it’ll be fixed at some point. When I don’t know. I’m just going to enjoy the car and wait for Acura to contact me. 🤓😎

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 07-31-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:03 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
I got the car back today and the new rocker panel is also all scratched up in the same spot. I took a picture but the camera only picked up maybe 2 of the many scratches. The dealer service GM is contacting Acura because they believe something is wrong with the manufacturing process given that it’s happened twice in the same spot. Also, the panel is pulling away quite a bit because it’s deformed a bit. Oh well, they said I’ll hear from them once Acura has a solution. No biggie. After the dashboard issue I’m done stressing over this nonsense.

(I had the panel replaced due to the bracket issue and the new one was all scratched up on top there. The new one, which is technically the 3rd, also has the issue. This obviously goes with the “if it ain’t broke don’t fit it” territory as it will be an uphill battle. Funny enough, the solid one actually broke and the replacements have been horrible. Go figure! I wish I didn’t have to fix it to the begin with. Plastic am I right?)

On the bright side, it’ll be fixed at some point. When I don’t know. I’m just going to enjoy the car and wait for Acura to contact me. ����
I feel like I should buy you a beer man. You've been through so much with your brand new car. For what is worth, I think your car is THE best looking TLX I've ever seen. That color is stunning and it goes so well with the A-SPEC package. I wish you the best. PS - I'm in Chicagoland too

Last edited by loki; 08-01-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
I feel like I should buy you a beer man. You've been through so much with your brand new car. For what is worth, I think your car is THE best looking TLX I've ever seen. That color is stunning and it goes so well with the A-SPEC package. I wish you the best. PS - I'm in Chicagoland too
Haha, thanks! Where at in Chicago? I’m out in Romeoville.

Also, I don’t consider the rocker panel a big deal. I didn’t even want to replace the first one but the actual bracket snapped and it was necessary. I don’t think I mentioned it but my trunk lip was also replaced when the rocker was. It’s held on by screws I believe but also tape and a clip on each side. The right side clip broke and by the infinite wisdom of engineers you can’t buy the clip it’s built in to the lip.

On the bright side plastic issues are easily fixed. No power train issues is fine by me!