2018 TLX, would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 TLX, would you do it again?

So My 2010 TSX has been a wonderful car but after some pretty bad hail damage, it is time to get something new. One of the leading candidates is the 18 TLX V6 AWD with tech mainly for a mix of price, value, and I have been happy with my previous Acura. For the people who have bought the 18 V6 model, do you have any regrets, and would you do it again? Does the "new" ZF 9 speed work well?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2018, 12:09 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I LOVE my 2018 TLX Elite SH-AWD A-Spec! The ZF 9 Speed is good - nothing like the 2015 that I had before. I would absolutely buy it again!!!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
If you search my posts I had a 2015 TLX AWD and swore off the the brand and the 5G TLX and was counting down the days until my lease was over. Acura was not on my short list for my next car, but as I was going to dealer to shop for my wife's 19 RDX I was intrigued by the 18 RLX Hybrid only to be turned off by the head unit. The ASPEC in the showroom really looked good enough so that I test drove the car twice and once I saw a Modern Steel Metallic with Red leather I was digging the car. That said I have my 19 TLX AWD MSM Red Leather ASPEC for almost 6 weeks now and have to say I really like the car. While the ZF 9AT is far better than the 15 ZF,it is still far from my ideal tranny, but I was spoiled driving a 8AT ZF in my A6 which was an amazing tranny.

For me if I were not leasing I am not sure I would do the TLX as the tranny is good, but over time I still have my doubts. If you are an average mainstream consumer driver the car will likely be great, but I drive on the spirited side and the ZF is OK, but this car is only around for 2-3 years then I move on. The head unit upgrades for 18 are nice, but again nothing special. If the RLX had updated head unit with Android Auto hands down I would have been in that car and Android Auto and Apple Carplay are the only reasons I went for another TLX as I can bypass the dated head unit and Acura failing voice recognition in leverage Google.

As you mentioned the value prop on Acura is really good, you get a well built Asian car with loads of features for thousands less than almost anything else that can easily go 200K miles if well maintained (although who knows about the ZF). The good news is this far into the model life virtually all the gremlins are likely taken care of.

If you don;t car about all the latest goodies in the Precision Cockpit design beginning to show up in new Acuras (RDX first) then the TLX is a very good car. I am glad I leased it, but would not have purchased it as I know within 12-18 months a new TLX will be out that we all be oogling, hopefully with a Type-S trim.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:24 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I came from a 2010 V6 to a 2018 TLX AWD Tech. Here's my take on it:

- The TLX is not as fun to drive as the TSX. - Feels less powerful (I had a V6 TSX...).
- The ZF9 by itself is acceptable. HOWEVER, it's the mating of the ZF9 to the TLX that is real problem, especially with the Traction Control software.
- The real culprit here is the traction control system that intervenes way too soon to prevent wheel spin. Result: it necessarily cuts power while you're accelerating straight or while turning, before any wheel spins. This is the infamous "car won't accelerate while turning right (or left) under certain conditions.
- Of course, Acura / Honda likely never looked back at the traction control software. If anyone from Honda is reading this, please re-calibrate the traction control. And please find the brillant person who programmed the TLX's traction control / stability assist software and send him/her for some additional training (or, depending on corporate culture, <insert favorite torture method and technique here>).
- Otherwise: awesome handling, quiet, etc.

Conclusion: I drive it with traction control OFF and sport mode. This make the driving experience tolerable in most situations. I still get the occasional "no acceleration while turning", but I won't turn off VSA for this - too complex of a procedure to perform each time you start the car, and safety...)

Would I buy it again? Probably not. I crossed shopped the Audi A4 and S4. Awesome drive etc etc., but the lack of reliability turned me off (and the S4's price too).

Last edited by TSXV6Guy; 07-31-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
No regrets. Exactly what I was looking for at the time which was an AWD Lexus ES with a little more sport to it.

I still own a 2010 TSX and absolutely love that car. Keeping that till it dies.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
I came from a 2010 V6 to a 2018 TLX AWD Tech. Here's my take on it:

- The TLX is not as fun to drive as the TSX. - Feels less powerful (I had a V6 TSX...).
- The ZF9 by itself is acceptable. HOWEVER, it's the mating of the ZF9 to the TLX that is real problem, especially with the Traction Control software.
- The real culprit here is the traction control system that intervenes way too soon to prevent wheel spin. Result: it necessarily cuts power while you're accelerating straight or while turning, before any wheel spins. This is the infamous "car won't accelerate while turning right (or left) under certain conditions.
- Of course, Acura / Honda likely never looked back at the traction control software. If anyone from Honda is reading this, please re-calibrate the traction control. And please find the brillant person who programmed the TLX's traction control / stability assist software and send him/her for some additional training (or, depending on corporate culture, <insert favorite torture method and technique here>).
- Otherwise: awesome handling, quiet, etc.

Conclusion: I drive it with traction control OFF and sport mode. This make the driving experience tolerable in most situations. I still get the occasional "no acceleration while turning", but I won't turn off VSA for this - too complex of a procedure to perform each time you start the car, and safety...)

Would I buy it again? Probably not. I crossed shopped the Audi A4 and S4. Awesome drive etc etc., but the lack of reliability turned me off (and the S4's price too).

I also cross shopped the A4 and after looking at price of comparable features, mainly the safety stuff like lane keep assist, blind spot, etc you have to get the Prestige trim which is disappointing. Also almost everyone I talk to says the maintenance on an Audi after the warranty can be ridiculous.

This is gonna be my daily driver, maybe about 35-40 miles total each day and I do like to keep my cars longer than average, but your right the thought of a type S TLX sounds amazing, now just got to see how much that beast is gonna cost 😁.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:56 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
YES YES YES!
As I've previously stated, this is by far the BEST of the 7 Acura's I've leased since '98
For me, it's a HOME RUN
Is it perfect?; of course not; but for $45K, & a GREAT lease rate, IMHO you can't beat it
As with any auto purchase, give it a thorough test drive, on the open road, & city traffic
2018/TLX/A-SPEC/SH-AWD/TECH
Old 07-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Terdbath
No regrets. Exactly what I was looking for at the time which was an AWD Lexus ES with a little more sport to it.

I still own a 2010 TSX and absolutely love that car. Keeping that till it dies.
I have a 2010 TSX and it is still a beast with 150K on it. I've shopping around and can't bring myself to buy another car just yet. I like the TLX Aspec but hate the head unit. I almost pulled the trigger on an CPO Audi A4 black optics, but didn't love the rims.. Either way, I'm also keeping my TSX when I buy another car. I think it can get another 100k on it.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I decided to ditch acura/honda as there is nothing that i like from current line-up.
i've had tlx v6 sh-awd as loaner and wasn't impressed.
i love the comfort of rlx sport hybrid, but it's outdated tech bothers me.

hence, i've replaced my RL with Giulia Ti-Sport Q4, has mechanical LSD too.
paid $3000 at the delivery, paying just over $400/mo for 24month on $57k sticker car.
couldn't pass on the deal.

The following 4 users liked this post by xc1097:
pyrodan007 (07-31-2018), silverTL6 (08-19-2018), TacoBello (07-31-2018), Terdbath (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Would absolutely NOT buy again if given the choice. Vibrates on the highway and I can't sit in the drivers seat without a wedge cushion due to its lack of forward tilt, without my leg going to sleep. Also, brakes are subpar, hood flutters at highway speed, NAV is outdated. Should have gone Infiniti or Audi.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OtownPSU
Would absolutely NOT buy again if given the choice. Vibrates on the highway and I can't sit in the drivers seat without a wedge cushion due to its lack of forward tilt, without my leg going to sleep. Also, brakes are subpar, hood flutters at highway speed, NAV is outdated. Should have gone Infiniti or Audi.
Infiniti's navi is outdated as well and their dual screen touch screen is laggy and unresponsive as well.
not to mention terrible glare in direct sunlight.
i managed to get decent discount on Q50 Redsport, but passed on it due to insurance premium being 2x the cost of Giulia, not to mention had better deal on Giulia.
IS/TLX/Q50 needs to step up as they aren't that great bargain anymore.
Hell, even G70 from genesis is better imo.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
LOVE my TLX ASPEC. Actually, one of my favorite cars, ever! Looking forward to the rumored Type S when it happens, along!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by xc1097
Infiniti's navi is outdated as well and their dual screen touch screen is laggy and unresponsive as well.
not to mention terrible glare in direct sunlight.
i managed to get decent discount on Q50 Redsport, but passed on it due to insurance premium being 2x the cost of Giulia, not to mention had better deal on Giulia.
IS/TLX/Q50 needs to step up as they aren't that great bargain anymore.
Hell, even G70 from genesis is better imo.
I'm looking forward to see the new Genesis G70. It's getting good reviews and looks pretty nice. The Giulia looks nice, but reliability is definitely a big question mark.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I'm looking forward to see the new Genesis G70. It's getting good reviews and looks pretty nice. The Giulia looks nice, but reliability is definitely a big question mark.
That's why i decide to lease instead and deal on lease was better than finance on Giulia.
if u drive it, u'll know why it's picked motortrend car of year and ranked #1 in $399 lease deal comparison.
G70 is def not bad, but they didn't have any deal, same with stinger
The following users liked this post:
FLYGUY31 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
Aspec is not perfect but you should be able to get an amazing deal in the 18's. For the price not much can match it. I would make sure to drive the car you are buying on the highway to make sure it does not suffer from the vibration issue.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dmski
Aspec is not perfect but you should be able to get an amazing deal in the 18's. For the price not much can match it. I would make sure to drive the car you are buying on the highway to make sure it does not suffer from the vibration issue.
Yes this morning I dug a bit deeper in the forums and saw so many reported issues about the vibrating that seems to be related to the VCM. I will definitely drive it and see what is up and how bad the vibration is. At least if it comes to it the VCMuzzler seems to resolve the issue.

Seems to be a mix of "love it" or "hope it burns in hell" type of feeling haha.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
Most of the hate is directed on the 15 models. Had one, and apsolutely hated it. Aspec is a different animal. If it wasn't for my dealer getting me a good deal with not much hit I would be driving a different brand now. Luckily, no vibration in my car. I still think that only a small percentage of cars are affected though. Considering how many they sell every month.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmski:
F23A4 (08-01-2018), twalsh3 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:03 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by twalsh3
Yes this morning I dug a bit deeper in the forums and saw so many reported issues about the vibrating that seems to be related to the VCM. I will definitely drive it and see what is up and how bad the vibration is. At least if it comes to it the VCMuzzler seems to resolve the issue.

Seems to be a mix of "love it" or "hope it burns in hell" type of feeling haha.
Make sure you drive the actual car you will be getting, and take it on the highway at 70 mph to see if it has the dreaded vibration. It's not only related to the VCM, it is a drivetrain issue that is very difficult to fix.
The following users liked this post:
twalsh3 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Most of the hate is directed on the 15 models. Had one, and apsolutely hated it. Aspec is a different animal. If it wasn't for my dealer getting me a good deal with not much hit I would be driving a different brand now. Luckily, no vibration in my car. I still think that only a small percentage of cars are affected though. Considering how many they sell every month.
Same here.

I had a 15 and while I didn't hate it, I didn't love it either. Transmission shifted funny and it did vibrate on the high. I rarely drive on the highway but the laggy transmission bothered me. I traded the 15 in for an 18 V6 A-Spec and Im very happy with it. The headunit has been updated, the tranny shifts perfect and it doesn't vibrate. The car also looks better and the interior updates are really nice. Id recommend it, but Id test drive a few too just incase any of the gremlins are still apparent.

Id also add another choice into the mix. My wife Traded her MDX in for a new 19 RDX A-Spec and its a very, very nice vehicle. It may be a small SUV but it certainly doesn't drive like one.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by xc1097
I decided to ditch acura/honda as there is nothing that i like from current line-up.
i've had tlx v6 sh-awd as loaner and wasn't impressed.
i love the comfort of rlx sport hybrid, but it's outdated tech bothers me.

hence, i've replaced my RL with Giulia Ti-Sport Q4, has mechanical LSD too.
paid $3000 at the delivery, paying just over $400/mo for 24month on $57k sticker car.
couldn't pass on the deal.

Alpha Romeo has the looks for sure. The problem most people have is the problems. Despite all the bad press on the 2015 TLX trans the TLX has no real issues and is reasonably priced to maintain. If I could get your car with acura reliabilty it would be a no-brainer. Overall the A-spec is a nice car, could use more power but with sh-awd the handling is excellent and it hold up well.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhb31
Alpha Romeo has the looks for sure. The problem most people have is the problems. Despite all the bad press on the 2015 TLX trans the TLX has no real issues and is reasonably priced to maintain. If I could get your car with acura reliabilty it would be a no-brainer. Overall the A-spec is a nice car, could use more power but with sh-awd the handling is excellent and it hold up well.
i've read horror story on both cars as well as w/ A4, XE, ATS, Q50, etc. so it's all down to luck i guess.
also, that's the reason why I went w/ lease instead of purchase w/ 2yrs of maintenance + lease wear & tear waiver included in price.
Acura needs to wake up and come up with something more exciting.
if you want outright bang for buck, Q50 has better grunt on regular 3.0T and Redsport runs circles around TLX anyday.
you can argue Q50RS is in different class, but with their sales figure so poor, you can actually snatch one for fairly cheap so it's doable if you do your homework.
Jag XE-S also has 380hp supercharged motor, but with options, it's in different price class, similar to S4, 340xi, C43 amg, etc.
Just for shits and giggles, I checked lease price on TLX A-Spec sh-awd and was quoted more than what i'm paying for my Giulia. no thank you.