2018 TLX grill vs. 2018+ RLX grill

Old 05-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 TLX grill vs. 2018+ RLX grill

Im sure you guys have seen the spy shots of the RLX being tested out in California. There is a video and some still pics from two (what seems to be) RLX being driven on the hills.
You can check out their site as it is listed on the picture and I will not remove credit where credit is due, but the purpose of this post is:
Now that we have seen what the grill of the TLX looks like, and by looking at what the grill of the RLX will look like; does it have an effect on how you feel about the direction Acura is going?

Below are is the comparison so you could decide.

My two cents? I like it. As I mentioned before I am interested on the new A Spec. I will holf off on any decision until I drive it myself but bottom line...I like it. It has what I need at the price (assuming current pricing) that suits me.
The grill? I didnt like it when I saw the first pictures...and it took me some time to get used to it. But when I saw videos and actual footage of it in motion... I gave in and now I like it. It goes with the agressiveness of the rest of the car and most importantly it goes with Acura.
With that being said, do you think they finally got it right? Considering the different proportions of the RLX, do you think it will be a good design for the "flagship".

2018+ RLX CAMO
2018 TLX CAMO
Old 05-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I like the direction Acura is heading also. I think the '18 A-Spec TLX looks sweet, especially in the blue. In my opinion, the true test for Acura will be how well they pull off the next generation TLX, ILX and RLX models. The 2nd generation TLX should be out in the fall of 2019 as a 2020 model. If they keep the styling cues heading in the current direction of the mid cycle refresh and turn up the heat under the hood, they can become formidable forces in the sedan market. I've got my fingers crossed for Acura. They really need to dig their heels in and give the enthusiasts what they're asking for. The formula really isn't that hard. We want good looking cars with competitive performance to match those looks. It's really that simple. All the current tech and safety features are a given.

Last edited by a35tl; 05-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Looks good in my eyes too.

Hopefully Acura makes SH-AWD standard again on the RLX. It will sell more. I might consider one actually. A SH-AWD RLX Tech for low $50k after incentives.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Looks good in my eyes too.

Hopefully Acura makes SH-AWD standard again on the RLX. It will sell more. I might consider one actually. A SH-AWD RLX Tech for low $50k after incentives.
My perfect Acura definitely has the SH-AWD as standard on the RLX, TLX. I don't know if they can fit it on an ILX, but that would be pretty fun, too.

The grille is definitely growing on me.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I like the direction they are headed, but until the new cockpit is here they are lagging almost all the competitors. As for the RLX clearly we have to see where the FMC goes I think they should have dumped the RL, moved the TL up scale then grew the TSX. While we can argue the technical merits or lack there of, but a high end luxury model has to have RWD or at least AWD that can send more to rear than SH-AWD does all the time.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by KeithL
I like the direction they are headed, but until the new cockpit is here they are lagging almost all the competitors. As for the RLX clearly we have to see where the FMC goes I think they should have dumped the RL, moved the TL up scale then grew the TSX. While we can argue the technical merits or lack there of, but a high end luxury model has to have RWD or at least AWD that can send more to rear than SH-AWD does all the time.
I felt that way, but you have to pay an insane amount of money to get the Virtual Cockpit on the A4 P+ and while I like the cockpit of my A4, it's not that far ahead of the TLX. I DO think the TLX will be quite long in the tooth by the time the FMC is ready, but I'm really expecting a lot from the next update, unless the cockpit concept was completely useless.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
I like the direction Acura is heading also. I think the '18 A-Spec TLX looks sweet, especially in the blue. In my opinion, the true test for Acura will be how well they pull off the next generation TLX, ILX and RLX models. The 2nd generation TLX should be out in the fall of 2019 as a 2020 model. If they keep the styling cues heading in the current direction of the mid cycle refresh and turn up the heat under the hood, they can become formidable forces in the sedan market. I've got my fingers crossed for Acura. They really need to dig their heels in and give the enthusiasts what they're asking for. The formula really isn't that hard. We want good looking cars with competitive performance to match those looks. It's really that simple. All the current tech and safety features are a given.
I believe we will really see this precision crafted design language when the new generation RDX comes out. I'm curious to see how well this new grille will flow. I do like it in person on the MDX so lets see what Acura can do when the body is fit around the grille itself.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I think If you look at the CDX, this is probably the closest glimpse we have of what's really coming when they design the body around the grill...as well as what's to come with the new interior design language and tech...

Old 05-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you really look close at the CDX interior design language, it's a nod back to the 3G TL while also incorporating elements from the 2G NSX (ie the electronic shifter section and single Infotainment screen).

If the 2018 TLX had this interior design along with the new 2018 body design, I'd be all over it.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I felt that way, but you have to pay an insane amount of money to get the Virtual Cockpit on the A4 P+ and while I like the cockpit of my A4, it's not that far ahead of the TLX. I DO think the TLX will be quite long in the tooth by the time the FMC is ready, but I'm really expecting a lot from the next update, unless the cockpit concept was completely useless.
The 2 displays and how they don't seem to function well together is the big issue. Also I will take Audi's nanny features over Acura's implementation any day.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
60k for a car with fake wood? I'm good
Old 05-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Azine Jabroni

I love that the CDX grille looks integrated with the body of the car. There's a chance a unified body/grille/rear interaction will look special/signature
Old 05-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
If you really look close at the CDX interior design language, it's a nod back to the 3G TL while also incorporating elements from the 2G NSX (ie the electronic shifter section and single Infotainment screen).

If the 2018 TLX had this interior design along with the new 2018 body design, I'd be all over it.

I will admit- that CDX interior looks awesome.

But I don't see any 3G TL in it... maybe very very little, if you squint and look at the picture juuuuust right
Old 05-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I will admit- that CDX interior looks awesome.

But I don't see any 3G TL in it... maybe very very little, if you squint and look at the picture juuuuust right
I certainly hope Acura is working on some sort of virtual cockpit competitor based on that cockpit they showed a couple of auto shows ago. Even if the interior looks good, the instrument cluster is on the verge of being behind.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Here's a better comparison to see what I'm talking about...

1. the entire center stack flow and design

2. the left and right side "sweeping" flow into the side door panel components has a similar consistent flow to it.

3. the entire "Y" shape" upward and outward (left/right) design flows very similar.

Overall to me the CDX interior looks like where the TL interior should have gone, more mature, advanced, upscale and more attention to detail. Not over-done, and not under-done. Just right. Otherwise, yes, all the actual elements themselves are definitely new and unique to the CDX (ie, buttons, steering wheel, dash-components, electronic shifter, etc. etc.)

Last edited by holografique; 05-14-2017 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
silverTL6 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Perhaps, the RLX will take on the soul of the TL and become what we wanted the TL to grow up to be. Nothing against the TLX but the downsizing (although minimal) from the 4G lost my interest.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by keith7120
Perhaps, the RLX will take on the soul of the TL and become what we wanted the TL to grow up to be. Nothing against the TLX but the downsizing (although minimal) from the 4G lost my interest.
I didn't realize how small the TLX was until I did a size comparison with the A4. They are almost exactly the same size. That struck me as odd.

Search this Thread