Which 2018 TLX, 4cyl Tech or SHAWD Advance or A-SPEC??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Which 2018 TLX, 4cyl Tech or SHAWD Advance or A-SPEC??

Really like what Acura has done to the 2018 TLX. Finally added Acurawatch and Android Auto as standard, which are the main reasons why I didn't pull the trigger in 2017.

The question is which 2018 TLX to get. I am considering 3: 2.4 Tech, SHAWD A-Spec, or SHAWD Advance.

Favorite car I've owned so far was a 2007 Acura TL Navi/Tech. The only reason why I'm considering a 4 cyl is the darned ZF 9 speed transmission. I had 2015 V6 SHAWD loaner, and I HATED the ZF transmission. It was jerky, searched for gears, lunged, and had unacceptanle throttle lag. How is the ZF in the 2018 A-Spec and Advance? I'd like to keep a vehicle at least 7 years/100k miles, so I don't want a lousy unreliable transmission.

Alternative non TLX vehicles being considered are 2018 Acura RDX AWD Advance - great vehicle with strong V6 engine and proven transmission, but outdated infotainment, or 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring, which should be announced tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
That is quite a range....but I know what you mean. I think that the key is test drive. I also have an 07 TL and will be needing to replace pretty soon, so I have gone through the exact same process and looked at the same cars.

For me the ZF was a deal breaker. BUT many have reported that the problems with the 2015 ZF have been (for the most part) fixed, or at least...improved. You need to test drive to see if you can live with and be happy with the behavior. I have decided to wait until another transmission comes along since the lag (in part due to dog clutch) would drive me crazy every time that I tried to merge on my daily commute. Some people have installed Sprint Booster to get around the throttle lag, but that does not change the dog clutch issue. I am also somewhat concerned about the limited but ongoing vibration issues that seem to be persistent for at least a few people.

If you can deal with the ZF and are ready to pull the trigger, then the ASpec would be my choice. Finally looks like the car that should have been released a few years back. Plus CarPlay is a nice improvement on the infotainment.
The RDX is my other top choice. If you need the room this is a good choice if you want to stay in the Acura family. The infotainment is outdated but you may not see a V6 around much longer. I may try to wait until next spring to see what the 2019 RDX brings.

Test drive all three and replicate your daily commute and how you drive and determine what you can live with and what would drive you crazy. I have a long daily commute and keep my cars for many years, so I have to be somewhat picky about issue that matter. Test drive and good luck....let us know.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 646 Likes on 348 Posts
My brain hurts trying to wrap my head around you asking which TLX to get from all the models lol. You literally said I'm considering basically every TLX lol.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I test drove a 2015 V6 FWD when they first came out and I was disappointed with the delayed response in the transmission. I had read from other members and can confirm that the 2018 A-spec has none of the delay I experienced in the 15. Its pretty quick off the line and has a nice growl in Sport and Sport +. You should go test drive.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Terdbath
I test drove a 2015 V6 FWD when they first came out and I was disappointed with the delayed response in the transmission. I had read from other members and can confirm that the 2018 A-spec has none of the delay I experienced in the 15. Its pretty quick off the line and has a nice growl in Sport and Sport +. You should go test drive.
On my Aspec it is very responsive. It does "feel" heavier than my TSX for sure, but it gets up and go with minimal effort. I'm not at 600 miles yet so I have not yet really pushed it.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
SH-AWD Aspec duh!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The 9-speed is fine, at least in the A-Spec trim. It seems they've ironed out the kinks. You'll likely be sorry if you "downgrade" from your J35 V6 3G TL to an I4 TLX.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Racer

The general consensus seems to be Aspec over Advance for the 2018 V6 SHAWD models. I haven't test driven yet, but does the Aspec perform or respond that much better over the Advance?
Old 07-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The 9-speed is fine, at least in the A-Spec trim. It seems they've ironed out the kinks. You'll likely be sorry if you "downgrade" from your J35 V6 3G TL to an I4 TLX.
The main reason why the I4 TLX, RDX, or Accord were on the list is the darned ZF transmission.

The vehicle will be used 90% of the time as a daily commuter. Commute will be 40 min AM and 50 min PM with heavy traffic and a lot of variable speeds, mostly between 10-45mph. I am concerned the ZF would drive me crazy, unless Acura really pulled it together in the 2018.

I don't know that I'd get much more out of the V6 vs the I4 for how the car will be used. Maybe I still would? Will fuel economy be much better in I4 vs V6 for my commute?

The RDX is on the list as it is the only Acura V6 that has a normal transmission. I really liked that vehicle for what it is, but we already have a family SUV/crossover so don't need the space.

The Acura Watch ACC with low speed follow is attractive for my commute if it is responsive enough in real world driving. The RDX does not have this.

The 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring looks promising. Honda looks to have really raised the bar with this. The tech blows Acura completely out of the water. With brand new engine and transmission there is no way I am buying the first MY. Heck, the tech in the 2017 Accord Touring blew 2017 Acura out of the water. I test drove current Accord Touring and liked it OK, but I thought the seats and audio were a notable downgrade from Acura. The 2018 may have addressed this. The tech was there and the throttle response were great. Steering/handling was better in Acura.

If the 2018 Accord 2.0T proves itself after it's been out for a while, then may wait for 2019 RDX or 2020 TLX, but not sure I can wait 2 years. I do not want to be first MY guinea pig, so the wait may be even longer. 3 more years is too long to wait.

The only real reason why I am considering anything else other than a 2018 TLX SHAWD Aspec or Advance is the darned ZF and how the ZF will behave with my commute.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Sounds like the consensus is SHAWD , and of course the Aspec if you can swing it. But I sure wouldn't rule out the 2.4 Tech for an extended test drive. Many of us are very pleased with that choice - peppy engine, great transmission, crisp handling, and of course comfort and quietness. It just might fit your needs perfectly.

Of course, if you're one of the "got to have exposed exhausts" crowd, remember that even the 2018 2.4 doesn't have them.

Just saying you might want to give it a fair shake
Old 07-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Racer

Reading through the forums, I will pass on the ZF transmission. I'm sure its much improved over the 2015 ZF, but its still a ZF. I read that 2017 MDX are having issues that don't show up at first but then start a few thousand miles in, typically 2-6 months of ownership. That, plus the ZF history, is too much risk for me.

It comes down to 2018 4 cyl TLX Tech or the RDX AWD Advance now, or wait 6-9 months for 2018 Accord to prove itself and the 2019 RDX release. 2018 RDX has much more power, AWD, and some extra goodies in the higher Advance trim vs 4 cyl TLX. The TLX handles better, has Android Auto, and low speed follow in the ACC.

While the Aspec SHAWD may be more fun to drive, I'd hate to dole out lot of money and have jerky transmission issues surface in a couple months and curse my commute. ZF is not worth the risk to me.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (08-04-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
There is zero reason to pass on the ZF. Your 2015 test drive is no longer relevant. But you'll enjoy driving the car in Sport+, all the 3 other modes had excessive throttle lag - infuriating. I understand why people might get the bad perception. I don't know about 2018

Forget the AWD, waste of money (and I have one). I'd suggest an A-Spec but you like the advance are forced to buy the overpriced $3700 technology package.

The best 'deal' IMO is the base V6, $36200+Dest. and I might add maybe a remote starter.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I really don't think you can go wrong withany of your choices. I will point out that I switched from my 2015 3.5 Tech SH-AWD to my current 2016 Tech with no regrets. However, I would point out that the 9 speed ZF tuning was improved considerably in the 2016.17 models and based on my test drives, even more so in the 2018 model. Certainly I would recommend extensive test driving to properly evaluate how any of your choices best fit your needs. All of that being said, you definitely can't go wrong with the 8 speed DCT. On a side note, I find it a little odd that Acura would not provide the exposed exhausts on the 2.4 tech version in the US. They do in Canada (and a Tech and Elite trim with or without the ASPEC). As I have mentioned before, we Canucks buy more 4 cylinder cars, with the Honda Civic perennially leading the sales race, likely the reason why we get more choices and features on the 2.4.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Reading through the forums, I will pass on the ZF transmission. I'm sure its much improved over the 2015 ZF, but its still a ZF. I read that 2017 MDX are having issues that don't show up at first but then start a few thousand miles in, typically 2-6 months of ownership. That, plus the ZF history, is too much risk for me.
Your loss, but I can attest that the transmission tuning is different and much improved even from the 2017 TLX I had as a loaner, to my current A-Spec. I'll let everyone know if any transmission issues crop up, but so far, at just over 1k miles on the odo, all is good.

That said, I DO wish Acura had successfully mated a DCT to the J35. That was a sweet combo on my RLX hybrid.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Banned

Your loss, but I can attest that the transmission tuning is different and much improved even from the 2017 TLX I had as a loaner, to my current A-Spec. I'll let everyone know if any transmission issues crop up, but so far, at just over 1k miles on the odo, all is good.
I'll venture to say that they changed the throttle mapping for 2018. Even the A-Spec is different from the non a-spec. 2018s are down in fuel economy compared to the 2017, a loss of 2mpg with a-spec and no more power.

Compare Side-by-Side
Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
SH-AWD A-Spec
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
which one can you afford?
Old 07-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Racer

Still torn between 2018 Acura i4 Tech, SH-AWD Advance, or SH-AWD A-Spec, or RDX AWD Advance.

I've read the 2018 ZF is acceptable in Sport+ mode and an annoying laggard in other modes. My commute is 45 min each way with lots of traffic varying between stop and go and 45 mph. Running in sport+ is not practical for such a commute or having lagging jerky transmission shifts is not an option.

I'd probably drive in sport most of the commute or normal if I found a huge economy difference between normal and sport for daily commute.

The TLX i4 Tech and RDX AWD Advance seem like safer bets from the transmission standpoint. I would regret a jerky ZF, and it would be a waste to run in Sport+ for stop and go commute.

I live in hot climate, so remote start and ventilated seats are a plus but not required. I think only Advance trims have those. I don't think they can be added as option to i4 Tech or A-Spec.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:06 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Still torn between 2018 Acura i4 Tech, SH-AWD Advance, or SH-AWD A-Spec, or RDX AWD Advance.

I've read the 2018 ZF is acceptable in Sport+ mode and an annoying laggard in other modes. My commute is 45 min each way with lots of traffic varying between stop and go and 45 mph. Running in sport+ is not practical for such a commute or having lagging jerky transmission shifts is not an option.

I'd probably drive in sport most of the commute or normal if I found a huge economy difference between normal and sport for daily commute.

The TLX i4 Tech and RDX AWD Advance seem like safer bets from the transmission standpoint. I would regret a jerky ZF, and it would be a waste to run in Sport+ for stop and go commute.

I live in hot climate, so remote start and ventilated seats are a plus but not required. I think only Advance trims have those. I don't think they can be added as option to i4 Tech or A-Spec.
ASpec comes with ventilated seats and any model can have remote start added as accessory by dealer. Remote start will be same as ones installed at factory and comes with same remotes as advance models .
Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Jesus, I wish I had ventilated seats. OP, you can't really go wrong with any of these choices.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator

The 2018 ZF is fine in daily commuting traffic. I am mostly in Sport Mode, because in daily traffic, Sport + is simply too much outside of a windy road or an onramp (when it's a blast!), and Regular mode is so unexciting I feel like going to sleep when it's on. I haven't even tried Eco Mode, not even once, though I'll eventually have to "take one for the team" and give it a shot eventually. 1500 miles in and all is good. Tranny is smooth. Compared to the 2017, the 2018 ZF, at least in A-Spec form, has none of the concerns you are considering. I'm greatly pleased with the car, overall, it's the right size, weight, and handling for me and it reminds me in that respect of my 3G TL, which was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (07-31-2017), slimm1469 (08-23-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I haven't even tried Eco Mode, not even once, though I'll eventually have to "take one for the team" and give it a shot eventually. 1500 miles in and all is good. .
Interesting comments. On my second car with ECON & have not tried it, sort of forgot its even there. First start of the car pushed the kill ASS button & that was also finished.

Like you daily drive in Sport, like the fact it keeps the car in a lower gear than comfort. Use Sport + to track & occasional quick street run in Mexico. Never use Sport + & Nanny's off. Played with that at the driving school & put myself in the grass after taking down 10 or so cones.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the one problem i hate about the v6 is the transmission
seriously is slow
the V6 is not a sports sedan, far from

The I4 on the other hand is a fun car, with the 2.4 transmission on the V6, i can live without the sub 300 hp, but the transmission got me thinking
Old 08-08-2017, 04:42 AM
Cruisin'

I am not sure, but my understanding Aspec is mostly cosmetic from talking to the sales, it adds no performance value to the transmission etc
at least that's my impression

Please let me know if i am wrong
Old 08-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rs1985
I am not sure, but my understanding Aspec is mostly cosmetic from talking to the sales, it adds no performance value to the transmission etc
at least that's my impression

Please let me know if i am wrong
This is a quote from a very favorable review from Car and Driver (posted in that thread)
"Likewise, the competent 9-speed provided a fitting complement in a variety of driving scenarios—although it hesitated to downshift when we called for a quick pass at highway speeds."

The ZF by many accounts has been improved from the 2015 problems, but this seems to confirm the same issue of shifting delays when downshifting. The review does not state that it is the Aspec, but the pictures show an Aspec. I do not recall reading anything from Acura that the transmission in the Aspec is any different or programed differently from the base V6.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quantum7
This is a quote from a very favorable review from Car and Driver (posted in that thread)
"Likewise, the competent 9-speed provided a fitting complement in a variety of driving scenarios—although it hesitated to downshift when we called for a quick pass at highway speeds."

The ZF by many accounts has been improved from the 2015 problems, but this seems to confirm the same issue of shifting delays when downshifting.
NOT in S mode... it is instant. All other modes are infuriating. More a throttle mapping issue than a real problem with the transmission.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
NOT in S mode... it is instant. All other modes are infuriating. More a throttle mapping issue than a real problem with the transmission.
I think you meant S+. Sport is still lazy to downshift, have to force with paddles.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I think you meant S+. Sport is still lazy to downshift, have to force with paddles.
Correct. Txs for pointing it out.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saintor
Correct. Txs for pointing it out.
Woaaah. I meant that sport+ (not normal sport) is doing proper job (as good as the ZF8) and zero need to use the paddles .
Old 08-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Well that is good to hear....but why bother with 4 sport modes if only one shifts the way that it should shift?
To get "the thrill" you have to purchase a Sprint Booster and stay in Sport+ (wish that they had mentioned those items in the TV spots).

Actually I am not so jaded. I am hopeful for the TLX redesign coming up to see if they can put it all together. I think that they are turning the corner and I like the direction of the 2018 ASpec. I would be surprised to see the ZF9 staying with the TLX, but hey....its Acura so you never know.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
OP....so you're asking us to spend your money for you? OK.....TLX-SH AWD ASpec. That's the one to get.

Not sure who's telling you the ASpec's ZX transmission is somehow "bad". But, they're wrong. It feels exactly how the ZF felt in my 2011 BMW 335i.....that is, it's a very, very good transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Saintor (08-22-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I test drove the 4cyl tech and Aspec. With that being said I ended up buying the Aspec lol
Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Congrats! Enjoy the car!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

can't you do aspec and 2.4?
I am from Canada btw
Old 08-26-2017, 01:16 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
2018 TLX 4 cyl tech , SHAWD advance, A - SPEC

I have a 08 TL-S with A-spec. I, of course recommend the A-Spec, but I will be waiting for 2019, something more like a V6 twin turbo I hope. I want more engine. The new TLX looks awesome, but is little more HP than I have in my 08 TL-S 6 speed.