2018 A-Spec reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Cmon guys. You really think someone will pay 60k for a civic? The dealer is just trying to catch anyone stupid. There's no harm in that. You can also likely travel to another Honda dealer in your city and pay 44k (a 10k markup), or less, for the same car. If you're too lazy to shop, well...

Anyway, in 6-12 months, the CTR will be selling at MSRP, or under. Just like any other desirable car upon release. The FoRS was the same. The FoST was the same. The Golf R was the same. Etc., etc.

How does dodge prioritize the dodge demon to dealers? What you pay at the dealer, dodge has no clue about. That doesn't make sense at all. Knowing the car business and how greasy dealerships can be, they'd find a quick way around letting dodge know what is being paid for the car.

also, there's nothing wrong with the NSX sales. Honda is on par to move about 600 units this year. That was their original goal.
Oh I agree totally. If someone was is dumb enough to send 60k on a civic that's on them not the dealer. I also think it's a trick to get people in to look at the car without them actually buying it. This way they can say "Hey you can't afford that, but look at this cheaper SI we have over here."
Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello

How does dodge prioritize the dodge demon to dealers? What you pay at the dealer, dodge has no clue about. That doesn't make sense at all. Knowing the car business and how greasy dealerships can be, they'd find a quick way around letting dodge know what is being paid for the car..
Dealer personally buys the car or someone in his family does for dealer cost. The car sits in the showroom as a traffic magnet. Then the car is sold used for $100K to a collector.

Doubt one in 20 will ever come close to a drag strip. Collectors will swap them around at auction for increasing prices. If you buy a car you can't race (does not meet NHRA rules) & is illegal to drive on the street what-else can you do with it?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-21-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
lol tacobella i hate you because you never read. DID YOU READ the dodge thread?
FCA has records of which dealerships SOLD challengers and chargers above retail. these dealers will not get first pick and will get LAST PICK(HIGH VIN NUMBERS) to curb pricing over MSRP. that's basically the gist of it.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Buy. Leasing doesn't work for me.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
Buy. Leasing doesn't work for me.
Is that because you tend to modify your cars, so leasing isn't suitable?

I got a better deal on my A-Spec by buying as compared to leasing, at least based on the evidence provided by those who reported back on the leasing deals they got for this car.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
I lease for the business tax deduction.

I like this car enough, though, that I could actually see myself buying it off lease at the end. I haven't meshed this well with a daily driver so early in the ownership experience since my V wagon. (I didn't lease the V, but you get the idea.) The more I drive it, the more I ask myself, "why didn't I downsize sooner?" Am I really a TL guy at heart?
The following 5 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (06-22-2017), EL19 (06-22-2017), justnspace (06-22-2017), miner (06-27-2017), Speed_Racer (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
I lease for the business tax deduction.

I like this car enough, though, that I could actually see myself buying it off lease at the end. I haven't meshed this well with a daily driver so early in the ownership experience since my V wagon. (I didn't lease the V, but you get the idea.) The more I drive it, the more I ask myself, "why didn't I downsize sooner?" Am I really a TL guy at heart?
I couldn't agree more. This is such a great car. It doesn't seem like I had to make any compromises at all in order to enjoy this car. The firmer underpinnings and the heavier steering, thicker steering wheel, etc really makes this car the sports sedan that it should have been from day one.

Having just passed the 500 km mark, the engine is now starting to loosen up a bit. I usually don't go WOT on a new car until it's passed 1,000 km. I'm looking forward to that. I've also noticed that Sport+ is MUCH MUCH better on the A-Spec than it was on my 2015s. I'm going to try spending a few days driving in Sport+ exclusively to see just how livable it is.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
lol i drove my gf's little economy car and was like whoa, the TL is way to big for me!
am I really an economy car kinda guy!?
neuronbob (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Is that because you tend to modify your cars, so leasing isn't suitable?

I got a better deal on my A-Spec by buying as compared to leasing, at least based on the evidence provided by those who reported back on the leasing deals they got for this car.
I doubt if I'd mod an A-Spec. But the reason I won't lease is that, having sold high end cars, it's too easy to get laid in a lease. For example I once leased a Mercedes and the guy wanted an option. I divided the price of the option by 36 and added it to his lease payment. My boss chewed me out for "leaving money on the table," by not marking it up at twice list, "he'd have never known."
Sorry for jacking the thread.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slimm1469
I doubt if I'd mod an A-Spec. But the reason I won't lease is that, having sold high end cars, it's too easy to get laid in a lease. For example I once leased a Mercedes and the guy wanted an option. I divided the price of the option by 36 and added it to his lease payment. My boss chewed me out for "leaving money on the table," by not marking it up at twice list, "he'd have never known."
Sorry for jacking the thread.
I see. But having sat on the other side of the table...doesn't that give you a big advantage when negotiating a deal on a new car, whether it's a lease or not?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your thoughts on your new A-Spec.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
lol i drove my gf's little economy car and was like whoa, the TL is way to big for me!
am I really an economy car kinda guy!?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Smile

[QUOTE=SebringSilver;16043819]I see. But having sat on the other side of the table...doesn't that give you a big advantage when negotiating a deal on a new car, whether it's a lease or not?

Yes it does, it helps a lot. I suggest asking for the worksheet which is just what it sounds like. It's all the numbers penciled in for the formal sales contract. I take it home and rework it as my offer. The salesperson doesn't want you to leave of course, and may start cutting deals to keep you on the floor. Even so, I never buy on the first trip to a dealer. Taking a lease apart is too much work and leases don't help me.
The A-Spec I drove was awesome, even in Normal mode. It's no Porsche but it's a fun daily driver. In Sport+ you can sling it around curves and sweepers. I love it.

Last edited by slimm1469; 06-22-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Has anyone purchased 2018 tech or advanced shawd after driving a-spec shawd? If few buys those non aspec shawd vehicles, Acura will have to slow down their productions and increase production of a-specs. I understand some features are there in advanced which are not there in a-spec but what is the key selling point of tech shawd model? At 40k+ price levels, 1-2k saving is not that important.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
While doing the the paperwork for my car the dealer shared that Acura planned on limiting supply of the A-Spec model. Don't know if that was BS, but at that point in the transaction lying would serve no purpose. Time will tell
There is zero chance they will limit its production. There is simply nothing that special about the car that limiting production would mean anything. It's not like it has 600 hp and is going to be a collector car five years from now.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Acura will sell as many A-Specs as they can make. Limiting supply, LOL!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
The main limit on supply (really demand) is the price. The dealer here as of a week ago had not sold one. As of today I have still not seen one on the road and I have been keeping an eye out. Until the price drops going up about 12k from what you can get a 2017 v6 tech is not an easy sell. Same trans and engine as the 2017 so the jump in price to an 18 for mostly cosmetic changes is not an easy sell unless you were sitting on a 2015 model with the trans problems or at end of a lease. The incentives will come in a few months and then you will see them move. Realistically once incentives kick in if you buy now you very well may take a 10K hit in depreciation just on year one. Then again it all depends on how many end up being sold a year from now.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhb31
The main limit on supply (really demand) is the price. The dealer here as of a week ago had not sold one. As of today I have still not seen one on the road and I have been keeping an eye out. Until the price drops going up about 12k from what you can get a 2017 v6 tech is not an easy sell. Same trans and engine as the 2017 so the jump in price to an 18 for mostly cosmetic changes is not an easy sell unless you were sitting on a 2015 model with the trans problems or at end of a lease. The incentives will come in a few months and then you will see them move. Realistically once incentives kick in if you buy now you very well may take a 10K hit in depreciation just on year one. Then again it all depends on how many end up being sold a year from now.
Only problem is the A-Spec is really a marked improvement over the regular 2015-17 TLX. I don't for one minute think Acura will limit production/supply of this car, but once people have driven it I think they'll want it.

I also think people over analyze the car buying process. You'll take a hit on depreciation no matter what you buy. The question is did you enjoy the car while you had it.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Only problem is the A-Spec is really a marked improvement over the regular 2015-17 TLX. I don't for one minute think Acura will limit production/supply of this car, but once people have driven it I think they'll want it.

I also think people over analyze the car buying process. You'll take a hit on depreciation no matter what you buy. The question is did you enjoy the car while you had it.
Bingo. I knew I could wait a few months and get more incentives, but why keep watching the clock and keep drive something you don't like, when you can enjoy something now. Life's too short. . .
SebringSilver (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
I couldn't see a reason to limit production either, but I shared what the dealer rep shared with me. I'm not so sure the car will will be aggressively discounted. Once you drive it you'll understand the value. My guess is the most you'll see is invoice. Drove it today in sports plus. My goodness what a thrill. Not sure how much gas you're burning holding revs like that, but damn is it fun. My 2015, wasn't quite drivable in sports plus. And for those saying it's just a styling upgrade with the same engine and transmission take an extended test drive and I guarantee you'll eat those thoughts. I view it, from the standpoint of the A-spec, as 2015-2107 being a 50% execution of the car's potential. The A-spec is 95% of what the car could be without making the ride quality unbearable. There's a reason that many of the folks here that have driven the car have gone on to purchase. It's a damn good vehicle that Acura can be proud of. The only car in my opinion that can hold a candle to it in the exterior looks department is a Q50. Everything else in the segment, in comparison, looks like a cheap econo car. The Lexus IS looks particularly cheap in comparison.
SebringSilver (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:44 AM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
After window tint. Shot on my I-Phone.

Last edited by Honda430; 06-23-2017 at 12:50 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (06-23-2017), Curious3GTL (06-23-2017), mapleloaf (06-23-2017), neuronbob (06-23-2017), SebringSilver (06-23-2017), Speed_Racer (06-23-2017), steve_97060 (06-23-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:35 AM
Senior Moderator

So far, the MMC seems a night and day difference from the old car. One can only hope that the non A-Spec cars are as much improved. Is it too little, too late? Who knows? Sedans are quickly fading away as most Americans prefer SUVs, and the TLX is somewhat tainted in the marketplace already. It's not so tainted as the RLX, but still.

I remember when the TLX was first released. Folks had liitle positive to say about it here and it went quickly downhill from there. So far, at least for the A-Spec, the opposite is true.

It would have been interesting if Acura had pre-MMC cars on hand in addition to the competition during their recent test drive sessions so folks could see the difference.

Last edited by neuronbob; 06-23-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

Nice car !
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
So far, the MMC seems a night and day difference from the old car. One can only hope that the non A-Spec cars are as much improved. --------------It would have been interesting if Acura had pre-MMC cars on hand in addition to the competition during their recent test drive sessions so folks could see the difference.
I'm loving all the excitement and good reviews regarding the MMC TLX, especially since I've liked my 2015 so much. And the A-Spec sounds great.

But can we actually expect any significant driving differences between the basic 4 cylinder or the basic 6 cylinder and the 2018's? I'm having trouble seeing how, since they share the same drive-trains, suspension, weight,etc. I'm only talking driving differences, not infotainment, looks,etc.

Perhaps I'm missing something?
Old 06-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Interesting perspective. The A-Spec is actually cheaper than I expected. It's cheaper than an Advance despite only lacking one feature that matters compared to an advance (surround view camera). I actually think the A is a better value than the Advance, and I also think there is not another car on the market that offers as much for anywhere close to the money. I know all about Audi A4's etc, and it's a good car for the money, but even it is 15-20% more for a comparably equipped car.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks great..I saw on their website you can get blacked out logo on the back..I think that would cool on this color. I really do like the white combo
jyrtl (07-31-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
So far, the MMC seems a night and day difference from the old car. One can only hope that the non A-Spec cars are as much improved. Is it too little, too late? Who knows? Sedans are quickly fading away as most Americans prefer SUVs, and the TLX is somewhat tainted in the marketplace already. It's not so tainted as the RLX, but still.

I remember when the TLX was first released. Folks had liitle positive to say about it here and it went quickly downhill from there. So far, at least for the A-Spec, the opposite is true.

It would have been interesting if Acura had pre-MMC cars on hand in addition to the competition during their recent test drive sessions so folks could see the difference.
If only one version has decent demand in product portfolio, it is difficult for production planning and pricing teams. What should be production mix and what incentives to offer on non aspecs? And what if supply of aspecs increase drastically, will demand still be there to sustain the price levels?

Other problem is the anchor price setup by heavy discounts of 2017 models. Many potential buyers (including myself) are not ready to pay 43k for TLX after seeing 33k sale price in last few months..

And if new Accord is going to be as good as people are expecting, it will add challenges to sustain high prices for non aspecs..
Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wlkeel
I'm loving all the excitement and good reviews regarding the MMC TLX, especially since I've liked my 2015 so much. And the A-Spec sounds great.

But can we actually expect any significant driving differences between the basic 4 cylinder or the basic 6 cylinder and the 2018's? I'm having trouble seeing how, since they share the same drive-trains, suspension, weight,etc. I'm only talking driving differences, not infotainment, looks,etc.

Yes, you've missed it completely. The A-Spec doesn't have the same suspension as the regular TLX. The steering ratio is also changed. The tires have shorter sidewalls, making the initial bite much better when you enter a corner. The TCU has also been reprogrammed. Front seats have been redesigned for better bolstering and grip (especially if you get the Alcantara). This car feels much much better than both of my 2015 TLXs.

Edit: Just re-read my post and it sounded more harsh than I had intended. My apologies if it came across that way.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 06-23-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, you've missed it completely. The A-Spec doesn't have the same suspension as the regular TLX. The steering ratio is also changed. The tires have shorter sidewalls, making the initial bite much better when you enter a corner. The TCU has also been reprogrammed. Front seats have been redesigned for better bolstering and grip (especially if you get the Alcantara). This car feels much much better than both of my 2015 TLXs.

Edit: Just re-read my post and it sounded more harsh than I had intended. My apologies if it came across that way.
Edit 2: LOL Just re-read the original post and realized it has nothing to do with the A-Spec at all. Need more coffee.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
mapleloaf (06-23-2017), neuronbob (06-23-2017), wlkeel (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
Acura built a bit over 2,000 TLX's in May-a surprisingly low amount for this car. Not sure why an MMC would require a slow ramp-up (you would expect that of a full re-design). Hopefully they increase production soon so that more SH-AWD versions are in stock (especially A-Spec models).
Old 06-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I was was excited about the blacked out logos on the back as well for my white a-spec on order. The only oddity I found is that it only blacks out the TLX and SH-AWD trim. The Acura A on the back is still regular chrome. In my opinion that would look odd.

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Looks great..I saw on their website you can get blacked out logo on the back..I think that would cool on this color. I really do like the white combo
Old 06-23-2017, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Interesting perspective. The A-Spec is actually cheaper than I expected. It's cheaper than an Advance despite only lacking one feature that matters compared to an advance (surround view camera). I actually think the A is a better value than the Advance, and I also think there is not another car on the market that offers as much for anywhere close to the money. I know all about Audi A4's etc, and it's a good car for the money, but even it is 15-20% more for a comparably equipped car.
I like the design changes for sure, I think only twice there were cars I felt I had to buy but both were used. A 71 240Z when I was a kid and a 86 red BMW 325ES red back when I got out of college so it was 3 years old and overall my favorite and most reliable car of all time (but BMWs were not a dime a dozen back then as they were still a low volume manufacturer).. I did purchase a 2007 Type S new and that would rank up there with cars I liked but even then with the sticker at just over 38K I got it for under 32.I will get the A-spec probably late fall or winter when the incentives kick in most likely. I do wonder if they will offer some more diverse leather colors at some point. Either way I do agree that sometimes you have to have it and then the price is what it is. Still waiting on a a-spec sighting. I actually prefer I don't see a ton of them as I rarely saw a Type S then or now. In a month it was rare for me to see one other Type S on the road. Maybe this is the same?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
If only one version has decent demand in product portfolio, it is difficult for production planning and pricing teams. What should be production mix and what incentives to offer on non aspecs? And what if supply of aspecs increase drastically, will demand still be there to sustain the price levels?

Other problem is the anchor price setup by heavy discounts of 2017 models. Many potential buyers (including myself) are not ready to pay 43k for TLX after seeing 33k sale price in last few months..

And if new Accord is going to be as good as people are expecting, it will add challenges to sustain high prices for non aspecs..
Aspec market will change even more when the Stinger GT goes on sale in September. It has a very similar price point and features, but it's MUCH more sport focused. I can see the Aspec getting some discounts by then. In the meantime, I've seen some adds in Canada asking for a 2K premium (going for 55K) on black Aspec Elites (Advance). Supply and demand for now, but no way sustainable for a car getting no engine upgrades in years.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

That's a fair point. I'm not sure the driving experience would be any different between the non A-Spec 2018s and the pre-MMC TLXs....and that's OK. Most TLX drivers in the real world are not enthusiasts looking for a sporty ride, they are looking for luxury.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-24-2017), mapleloaf (06-23-2017), wlkeel (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
The updates are really minor and cosmetic, similar to the Civic 2013 vs 2012.. It is mostly about perception. It is 98% of the same car, the one that I would buy again.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Edit 2: LOL Just re-read the original post and realized it has nothing to do with the A-Spec at all. Need more coffee.
No problem, don't give it a thought. Perhaps I should have phrased it more like neuronbob did: " ...any difference between the non A-Spec 2018s and the pre-MMC TLXs....." . Then it would have been more clear.

In any case, I think I got an answer to my question - no significant differences in driving experience (which is fine).
Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
That's a fair point. I'm not sure the driving experience would be any different between the non A-Spec 2018s and the pre-MMC TLXs....and that's OK. Most TLX drivers in the real world are not enthusiasts looking for a sporty ride, they are looking for luxury.
Very true. Having had a 2015 SH-AWD and now a 2016 2.4, I felt that both are as sporty as I want or need, particularly the 2.4 Tech. Given that the 2.4 Tech/ Elite Aspec version in Canada will have fewer changes in terms of driving dynamics than the 6 cylinder, I would not expect a significant handling or performance different..even if the 8 speed is a little further refined. It has always been a decently sporty combination with the naturally aspirated 2.4 engine, IMHO. It will certainly look more sporty than the non Aspec trims....and after all, perception is reality!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
So uh... When does the modding begin? This is AZ, after all.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Bingo. I knew I could wait a few months and get more incentives, but why keep watching the clock and keep drive something you don't like, when you can enjoy something now. Life's too short. . .
Well stated !!!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Yep....2 dealers around me sold out of all their respective ASpecs in the first week they were delivered. They won't get any more until 2nd week of July. They ordered more than they got in the first batch, and aren't sure if Acura will be able to fulfill the order.

Acura has a hit on their hands!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Saw an A-spec going the other way on the highway yesterday. Looks good from the front... but that rear. The tailpipes and the valence are clownishly large and out of proportion.

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews