2018 A-Spec reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
This is all a moot point to discuss without knowing pyrodan's residual and mileage etc. . .
$30k, 12/16000km (can't remember for sure). Like I said, I'm flexible to Acura (nothing is free, fully get it) but no discounts = no deal. This is not an S4/S5 car where it's harder to find.
Next on my list to test drive is the A4 and A5 Sportback (both Technik). If I'm getting no deals, then might as well pay a little more.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 AM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
$30k, 12/16000km (can't remember for sure). Like I said, I'm flexible to Acura (nothing is free, fully get it) but no discounts = no deal. This is not an S4/S5 car where it's harder to find.
Next on my list to test drive is the A4 and A5 Sportback (both Technik). If I'm getting no deals, then might as well pay a little more.
Now we're full circle; that's my thinking as well. Acura is no longer a huge value, nor does it have the sterling reliability any more. Those were the reasons I bought it in the past. Take those away and the car isn't exciting or interesting enough to own, and it looks like Audi is a better bet for me.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
My latest price inquiry came back at sticker. I'm just going to chill until September. Hopefully the local Acura dealers will have climbed off of their high horses by then.
pyrodan007 (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You guys are getting worked up a bit fast here about the pricing. I understand if you need a car immediately, that yeah, you may not have much choice. But what's wrong with waiting a few months until you can negotiate a good deal for yourself? It's always hard to negotiate anything on a new/revised car, especially if there is interest in it. Dealerships are in the business of making money, not giving deals out.

I'm sure near year end, you'll be able to get yourself a great deal. That's only 6 months away. January and February are brutal for dealerships, as everyone is coming off holiday spending and aren't necessarily looking to get into a new car. That's when your biggest opportunities come up. I dunno. Just food for thought.
wlkeel (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Plus you can get deals on A4 & A5 sportback. I test drove both & the A5 sportback drives so nice.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
You guys are getting worked up a bit fast here about the pricing. I understand if you need a car immediately, that yeah, you may not have much choice. But what's wrong with waiting a few months until you can negotiate a good deal for yourself? It's always hard to negotiate anything on a new/revised car, especially if there is interest in it. Dealerships are in the business of making money, not giving deals out.

I'm sure near year end, you'll be able to get yourself a great deal. That's only 6 months away. January and February are brutal for dealerships, as everyone is coming off holiday spending and aren't necessarily looking to get into a new car. That's when your biggest opportunities come up. I dunno. Just food for thought.
Aye - SOP for car dealers. I started negotiating for my 15 TLX the day after they went on sale. Took one month to get them to come down $1,000 off MSRP - and I had to play them off another dealer to get that. Demand is high enough now that they can play tough at MSRP - you have to either negotiate with them or wait them out. Never take the first offer regardless of when you buy.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Pro

You're absolutely right. No need to rush into a purchase. I'm torn between a SHAWD A-pec or Advance. I actually prefer the Advance styling and interior. I'll take a few test drives over the coming months to see which model best fits my lifestyle. In the long run it's the best course of action.

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Honda430
I'll take a few test drives over the coming months to see which model best fits my lifestyle. In the long run it's the best course of action.
A+ for this. The thing is once my lease date is up, my commitment to Acura is over as well (reminds me of scene in Aladdin where Genie becomes free lol). Will not be willing to kneel down to get a good deal. Although I enjoyed the Aspec, it's not good enough at any price. When the seller suggested full price, told him I was sacrificing many things like turbo, tech, and performance (comparing to Audi but soon to 18 Accord, Stinger, 18 Camry etc). As the words were coming out of my mouth, the excitement to buy was slowly fading away. Will see what happens from now on, but Acura = value no longer rings true to me. Even less so for customer appreciation, treated like any other Joe Blow walking in to buy one.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-14-2017 at 12:53 PM.
FLYGUY31 (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
First, I'm glad I don't lease..Jeez..sounds confusing. Second, it's car buying 101 that you will pay more for a car that is either new or updated and is hot right out the shoot. There is no way dealers are going to give huge discounts two weeks after launch...hell , some dealers are still waiting on the blue color to even come in. I'm waiting until the spring. At that time I'll base my purchase on the deal and which car fits me better ..A4 or Aspec.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just something to think about. If the TLX is a MSRP or -$1000 a car that is more expensive (MSRP) but being discounted $8/9K might be an excellent alternative.

A $45K TLX can be looked at against a $54K something else because your out of pocket is the same.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
haha the lesson here is wait until the car is not a spanking new model otherwise you are just setting up yourself for disappointment...

I have a buddy just leased a 2017 TLX Elite AWD with the A-spec pkg (the one with the lip kit) for CAD$570/month tax in, $0 down, 48 months. This is from Richmond, BC, Canada.

I'd use that figure and determine how much more I'd want to pay per month for a 2018 Elite A-spec AWD.

Last edited by iforyou; 06-14-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
haha the lesson here is wait until the car is not a spanking new model otherwise you are just setting up yourself for disappointment...

I have a buddy just leased a 2017 TLX Elite AWD with the A-spec pkg (the one with the lip kit) for CAD$570/month tax in, $0 down, 48 months. This is from Richmond, BC, Canada.

I'd use that figure and determine how much more I'd want to pay per month for a 2018 Elite A-spec AWD.
But I think they gave pretty significant incentives in order to clear out the remaining pre-facelift inventory. One of my 2015s had the full body kit, and as I'm sure you know, it's just cosmetics. The car is in every other way a normal TLX. The 2018 (especially the A-Spec) drives quite differently from the pre-facelift model. Congratulations to your friend for snagging a great car at a great price though.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just something to think about. If the TLX is a MSRP or -$1000 a car that is more expensive (MSRP) but being discounted $8/9K might be an excellent alternative.

A $45K TLX can be looked at against a $54K something else because your out of pocket is the same.
Exactly..If I can get an Audi for something around the price of the Aspec, I might just do that..of course if I like the Audi enough to move away from Acura. $8K is probably not going to happen, but I understand your point.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Not sure how everyone is coming up with these numbers. (US)$ on an ASpec is around $42K and change after negotiation (less than that if you lease, but then you have to add in all the fees like bank, acquisition, disposition, etc). So, the numbers are probably a wash.

My S4 was a 2012. At the time, it had an MSRP of (US)$56K. I think I paid around $52.5K. That's a $10K swing between the two cars. I'm surethe S4 equipped like for like with the ASpec costs even more than that. Even an A4 equipped like for like will cost $2-$3K more than an Aspec. Audi maintenenace will cost more, too.

Not hate here on the Audi. But, I've owned both. I like both. Owning an Audi costs more, plain and simple. I test drove the new A4. Nice car. Different? Yes! Nicer than the '18 TLX? Nope. Drives better than the TLX (SH AWD)? Nope! Better build or materials than a TLX? Nope!

Acuras are known for their reliability. Not sure where the "less reliable" feeling is coming from.
The following 2 users liked this post by graphicguy:
mapleloaf (06-14-2017), SebringSilver (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it make sense to finance instead of lease the 18 TLX? I'm here in the states and I was trying to figure out which option is the best. With leasing I drive the car for 36 months and return it if I don't want it or buy out the car if I like it and want to keep it. With the latter option I would still have to finance the remaining amount but with the interest rates beginning to creep up that might be a deterrent. One thing going for leasing is that after the leasing period if Acura comes out with a Type-S. "stick" I dump the '18 and jump on the newer car.

However, without a crystal ball I can't say if Acura has those plans in store. By the way, I was unaware you could get the A-Spec with Advanced package. I don't see that available here in the states or am I wrong?

Please don't flame me as that I'm a newbie to the boards.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:49 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
Not sure how everyone is coming up with these numbers. (US)$ on an ASpec is around $42K and change after negotiation (less than that if you lease, but then you have to add in all the fees like bank, acquisition, disposition, etc). So, the numbers are probably a wash.

My S4 was a 2012. At the time, it had an MSRP of (US)$56K. I think I paid around $52.5K. That's a $10K swing between the two cars. I'm surethe S4 equipped like for like with the ASpec costs even more than that. Even an A4 equipped like for like will cost $2-$3K more than an Aspec. Audi maintenenace will cost more, too.

Not hate here on the Audi. But, I've owned both. I like both. Owning an Audi costs more, plain and simple. I test drove the new A4. Nice car. Different? Yes! Nicer than the '18 TLX? Nope. Drives better than the TLX (SH AWD)? Nope! Better build or materials than a TLX? Nope!

Acuras are known for their reliability. Not sure where the "less reliable" feeling is coming from.
Statistics and the shittastic 9AT.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kentone
However, without a crystal ball I can't say if Acura has those plans in store. By the way, I was unaware you could get the A-Spec with Advanced package. I don't see that available here in the states or am I wrong?.
Not in the states. There is one and only one technology package for A-Spec. You can go FWD or AWD however.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kentone
By the way, I was unaware you could get the A-Spec with Advanced package. I don't see that available here in the states or am I wrong?
In Canada you can

As for leasing versus buying, would now only consider buying since I can walk away at any time simply by selling car. As you can see from my comments, trading my lease now gives me zero privileges so not really worth it. If I have to wait until the end to get some form of rebate, then what's the point. Throwing money out the door on lease versus losing money on sale is about equal to me.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Pro

Here in the US there is no A-Spec available with the Advance add on features. My dealer says that the driving dynamics for the non-ASpec models offer an improvement over the 2015-2017 model range. Also some reviews claim there's not much difference handling wise between the two. I've driven a FWD A-spec. I have yet to drive an Advance. Here are some photos of an Advance. I like the styling even in white which is a color that ordinarily would not be my first choice.

Last edited by Honda430; 06-14-2017 at 03:58 PM.
StealthTL-S (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Still not following you....

https://www.torquenews.com/1574/2016...sport-sedan-us
mapleloaf (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I racked up 29,000 km on my black 2015 and 6,900 km on my white one. I know that's not a lot, but they were absolutely faultless. Looking forward to a similarly hassle-free experience on the 2018 A-Spec.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:32 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Weird, I don't get the unreliable angle for Acura vibes here. I don't think the 9AT would qualify at unreliable. I hadn't seen stories of it leaving people stranded. Was it a poor performing transmission, yes, but reliability i guess is different to different people. While I haven't owned German cars to compare to, the Acura's I've had have been nothing but reliable. Maybe I'm missing something.
mapleloaf (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
But I think they gave pretty significant incentives in order to clear out the remaining pre-facelift inventory. One of my 2015s had the full body kit, and as I'm sure you know, it's just cosmetics. The car is in every other way a normal TLX. The 2018 (especially the A-Spec) drives quite differently from the pre-facelift model. Congratulations to your friend for snagging a great car at a great price though.
Yea I think dealers just wanna move the 2017 models so they can get more 2018 models. Yup, the A-spec kit (or was it called GT kit?) is purely cosmetic. But man those kits are not cheap. The one he got is actually the showroom car with the kit and some other accessories. I'd imagine if he went for a regular TLX AWD advance, may be he could've gotten it for CAD$540 tax in or something.

I told him about the 2018 model but surprisingly he didn't like the new grille, and he's not interested in Apple Carplay/android auto.

Haha some of us are talking about Canadian figures man and things are expensive here. And yup, we have the the option of Elite package + A-spec.
mapleloaf (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Haha some of us are talking about Canadian figures man and things are expensive here. And yup, we have the the option of Elite package + A-spec.
You realize that when CAD converted to USD we are still way ahead of the game. My 40K CA is like if I got the car for less than 30K US... for a SH-AWD.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Base V6

Did anyone drive the base model V6 and compared it to the Aspec? I would like to see that review.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Did anyone drive the base model V6 and compared it to the Aspec? I would like to see that review.
I did drive the non-A-Spec 2018 first. There is definitely a difference. I would say the 2018 TLX is a small improvement over the pre-facelift TLX in terms of driving dynamics. But the A-Spec ride is noticeably firmer and generates more confidence in the corners. If the sporty feel in a car is important to you and you're dead set on a TLX, the A-Spec is the way to go.

TLX A-Spec, A4 S-line, C300 4Matic, etc., just drive them all. There's not a bad car in the bunch.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
graphicguy (06-14-2017), Saintor (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Working on it. Hoping to test drive an A-Spec SH-AWD tomorrow to compare with the base V6 2017 PAWS loaner I've had for over three weeks. Then it's decision time.
F23A4 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Working on it. Hoping to test drive an A-Spec SH-AWD tomorrow to compare with the base V6 2017 PAWS loaner I've had for over three weeks. Then it's decision time.
I'm sure you know this, but don't go easy on it tomorrow. Floor it every chance you get. It takes a committed right foot to get this car to reveal its best attributes. And then it rewards you with a depth of engineering that will likely surprise you.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
If I get the time this weekend, I'll do just that and report on it.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 AM
Racer

I asked this in the Photo thread but didn't get a response: Is the ambient red lighting featured on the Aspec always "on"..or is it only on when the headlights are turned on?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:20 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Only on when the headlights are on. Havent tried to see if it dims with the +/- yet.
FLYGUY31 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I asked this in the Photo thread but didn't get a response: Is the ambient red lighting featured on the Aspec always "on"..or is it only on when the headlights are turned on?
Also looks like there is a switch in the glove box to disable the ambient lights.
FLYGUY31 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
neuronbob likes it.

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I test drove my preferred dealer's white/red A-Spec this morning, and I'll post details later today. In short: I like it. I like it a lot. It gets the neuronbob™ stamp of enthusiast approval and Acura has done good here. Looks far better in person than in pictures. Suspension changes are right on target. I surprisingly like the piped in sound. Solid, fun daily driver. Jump on in, TLX fans and detractors, the water's pretty darned good.
The following 5 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (06-15-2017), jyrtl (07-17-2017), MTD (06-15-2017), SebringSilver (06-15-2017), wlkeel (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:39 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Beautiful ! I love the new TLX Aspec! I want to see it in Silver! Reminds me kinda of the 3rd gen TL.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Saintor
You realize that when CAD converted to USD we are still way ahead of the game. My 40K CA is like if I got the car for less than 30K US... for a SH-AWD.
Yup I'm well aware of the fact that CAD is worth much less than the USD these days. Sorry about the confusion, what I meant was the dollar amount looks expensive.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
Beautiful ! I love the new TLX Aspec! I want to see it in Silver! Reminds me kinda of the 3rd gen TL.
Unfortunately, it doesn't come in silver. That would have been my first choice too.
StealthTL-S (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:35 PM
MTD
Racer

Originally Posted by Sspehnkouch
Also looks like there is a switch in the glove box to disable the ambient lights.
Yup, found it today. There is a switch to turn off the ambient lights and to also disable the trunk opening.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MTD
Yup, found it today. There is a switch to turn off the ambient lights and to also disable the trunk opening.
Would have been very cool if the colour of the ambient lighting were user-selectable, like on the new Range Rover Velar.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:07 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Would have been very cool if the colour of the ambient lighting were user-selectable, like on the new Range Rover Velar.
No kidding, it couldn't have cost much to have that ambient light color changing. I could see them limiting red to the Type S though like Honda does with the Si.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 PM
MTD
Racer

Yeah the red ambient is A-Spec exclusive much like the gauges. Other models have white/blue gauges and lighting.

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews