2018 A-Spec reviews

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
I think it looks great, only down side is that people who want the features of the Advance model lose some goodies in the Aspec model. I was hoping they had a. aspec model based on the tech package then another based on the advance model.
My thoughts exactly. I was excited to trade in my 2016 Elite but the absence of heated steering wheel, power-folding side-mirrors, and rear seated heats is a deal breaker for me. Although I still have to wait for the actual Canadian-spec A-spec to find out if these features will be standard. These nanny features especially the heated steering wheel is really helpful for us people up north.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by edmua6
My thoughts exactly. I was excited to trade in my 2016 Elite but the absence of heated steering wheel, power-folding side-mirrors, and rear seated heats is a deal breaker for me. Although I still have to wait for the actual Canadian-spec A-spec to find out if these features will be standard. These nanny features especially the heated steering wheel is really helpful for us people up north.
We Canucks might get lucky then. Im fairly certain all TLX models except the base came with heated seats and wheel, and power folding mirrors.

My dealer said he has 6 coming in, butt hat the new blue wont be available till later on.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
We Canucks might get lucky then. Im fairly certain all TLX models except the base came with heated seats and wheel, and power folding mirrors.

My dealer said he has 6 coming in, butt hat the new blue wont be available till later on.
Good call on that. I just checked the Canadian site and those features are offered on the tech package. I guess it is sounding more promising for me now. If they have those features, I will get a 2018 model year.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
I think it looks great, only down side is that people who want the features of the Advance model lose some goodies in the Aspec model. I was hoping they had a. aspec model based on the tech package then another based on the advance model.
Yep, more dumb packaging from Acura. I can park on city streets often and the power folding mirrors would have been really nice to have, the heated steering wheel for our brutal cold snaps... I think Acura sometimes overlooks the fact that people who currently own older Acura models would like to UPGRADE when they are ready to move into a newer Acura, not be forced to still miss out on goodies they haven't had and would like to have now.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Yep, more dumb packaging from Acura. I can park on city streets often and the power folding mirrors would have been really nice to have, the heated steering wheel for our brutal cold snaps... I think Acura sometimes overlooks the fact that people who currently own older Acura models would like to UPGRADE when they are ready to move into a newer Acura, not be forced to still miss out on goodies they haven't had and would like to have now.
You're not forced to miss out on goodies if you buy a different brand.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by svtmike
You're not forced to miss out on goodies if you buy a different brand.
Of course and that's the underlying point: Acura is still missing the mark with their odd packaging and in turn people are looking elsewhere. Acura wants to be luxury/sporty but then they still force either/or choices, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
The following 3 users liked this post by ESHBG:
F23A4 (05-23-2017), Monte TLS,MAX (05-30-2017), pyrodan007 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Of course and that's the underlying point: Acura is still missing the mark with their odd packaging and in turn people are looking elsewhere. Acura wants to be luxury/sporty but then they still force either/or choices, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Agreed. Picking out packages on a brand with well defined tiers is hard enough. The goofy Honda/Acura packages are just more annoying than anything.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Agreed. Picking out packages on a brand with well defined tiers is hard enough. The goofy Honda/Acura packages are just more annoying than anything.
Yep. There was a time when it made sense and was cost effective but nowadays you either need to load up the tiers correctly and in ways that make sense or break up the options a bit.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think A-Spec should have a maxed out/Advance option. I agree that the option packages are a bit strange.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think A-Spec should have a maxed out/Advance option. I agree that the option packages are a bit strange.
I agree with you completely. However, since we can only purchase what they give us the option to purchase, I pose the question to anyone who would like to answer: A-Spec TLX or Advance TLX? If you were buying one today, which ends up in your driveway?

Although I like the thought of having a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and the surround camera, I think I would still choose the A-Spec simply because it looks so good and those 3 items aren't hugely important to me. I love the look of the A-Spec. The A-Spec has gorgeous rims, a nicer rear end, the round fog lights, the fatter steering wheel and upgraded suspension and tires. To me, the trade off is worth the visual appeal alone.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Don't get too too excited about the blue TLX- I'm guessing it will be an upgrade color, judging by the asterisk beside it's name (same with the black copper).

I could be wrong, but that blue looks near identical to the blue on the NSX and it is a pricey option on that car. I imagine this will be the same- it looks crazy nice, but I wonder how many people will be willing to drop an additional 5k just on paint.
how do you know is 5k extra?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
I agree with you completely. However, since we can only purchase what they give us the option to purchase, I pose the question to anyone who would like to answer: A-Spec TLX or Advance TLX? If you were buying one today, which ends up in your driveway?

Although I like the thought of having a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and the surround camera, I think I would still choose the A-Spec simply because it looks so good and those 3 items aren't hugely important to me. I love the look of the A-Spec. The A-Spec has gorgeous rims, a nicer rear end, the round fog lights, the fatter steering wheel and upgraded suspension and tires. To me, the trade off is worth the visual appeal alone.
I'd go with the A-Spec unless you sacrifice too much with ride quality. I'm at the point in my life where I prefer a softer ride over that extra 10% handling ability. In fact that's one of the main reasons I moved from the Accord to the TLX. My Accord rode like an ox-cart on the side streets. The TLX smooths them out quite a bit.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I am not sure whether this thread is appropriate but i did not find any other thread. If TLX FMC is in 2020 as 21 model, do you think Acura will launch sport hybrid TLX sometime next year? I think if MDX sport hybrid gets good reviews and sells well, they may think about that.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl

Between the two, I'd go with the Advance. The exhaust tips go with the design better. The A-Spec is just trying too hard -- the round fogs up front don't set off any other design element, and that rear valence with stupidly large round exhaust tips is equally as jarring. Too bad about those chrome accents around the fogs and exhaust on the Advance though. There are some lines that just don't need any further emphasis.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 AM
I like turtles

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, I am excited to be excited about an Acura again. Will definitely be checking the A-SPEC out once my local dealer gets them in stock. Maybe they can win me back hmmm...
Old 05-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
Between the two, I'd go with the Advance. The exhaust tips go with the design better. The A-Spec is just trying too hard -- the round fogs up front don't set off any other design element, and that rear valence with stupidly large round exhaust tips is equally as jarring. Too bad about those chrome accents around the fogs and exhaust on the Advance though. There are some lines that just don't need any further emphasis.
Until I see both, I'm going to wait and see. But I do see your point and I'm starting to agree. There might be just too much molding to make it look like it's trying to hard. We will see.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloppy305
how do you know is 5k extra?
It's 5k to upgrade to the blue on the NSX, if I'm not mistaken. Though there might be an "NSX tax" on that price. Still, I don't see it being less than a 3k upgrade on the TLX. I foresee some people buy it, but most won't see the value in that.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
I am not sure whether this thread is appropriate but i did not find any other thread. If TLX FMC is in 2020 as 21 model, do you think Acura will launch sport hybrid TLX sometime next year? I think if MDX sport hybrid gets good reviews and sells well, they may think about that.
Not sure of the timeline, but if that's sounding like they could call it a Type S. As much as I'd like a manual, I can't see them ever doing that and a sport hybrid on the TLX.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:12 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

It's 5k to upgrade to the blue on the NSX, if I'm not mistaken. Though there might be an "NSX tax" on that price. Still, I don't see it being less than a 3k upgrade on the TLX. I foresee some people buy it, but most won't see the value in that.
It's $6k on the NSX. No way will they offer a paint option that costs extra on the TLX. Never going to happen. There goes their value proposition. . .
Old 05-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Well that's what I'm wondering. It looks like the same color as the nsx though. How are they marking it up 6k on one car and making it free on another? By that logic, anyone wanting a blue nsx has the ability to make a strong argument with acura to not charge the crazy markup.

I think it will be a limited run color, so getting one won't be easy. I can see like a 3k up charge for it. Acura is targeting a very small subset of buyers- not that it's a bad thing. I like that they are considering the small subset.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Well that's what I'm wondering. It looks like the same color as the nsx though. How are they marking it up 6k on one car and making it free on another? By that logic, anyone wanting a blue nsx has the ability to make a strong argument with acura to not charge the crazy markup.

I think it will be a limited run color, so getting one won't be easy. I can see like a 3k up charge for it. Acura is targeting a very small subset of buyers- not that it's a bad thing. I like that they are considering the small subset.
the NSX blue is a Andaro paint that was originally formulated for Virgin Airlines. it reflects something like 90% of the light that hits it compared to around 25% that standard automotive paint. I believe only Acura and Ferrari are the only companies currently licensed to use Andaro on any of their vehicles.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the 2nd generation TLX is set to be introduced in late '19 as a '20 model. I think this generation TLX with the new A-Spec trim will be as good as this one gets.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Javier Rota
Old 05-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

His Turn-Her Turn review
Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
His Turn-Her Turn review
This one is not bad (nice V6 sound @ 3:05) , but the previous one from Rota is rather boring...
Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
And the fact that they are listening, bodes well for the future. I can imagine the first paragraph in a business school textbook: "If you give what your customer is asking for, they'll give you money." Kinda sad it took Acura this long to figure it out.
lol I think it's Honda that has been limiting Acura.....for instance, they havent been investing enough money into the brand, and they forced the RL and RLX to Acura.

Originally Posted by MTD

Haha sometimes we get lucky. We get the Accord I4 Touring, which is not available in the US. It even has 6MT as an option!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by iforyou

Haha sometimes we get lucky. We get the Accord I4 Touring, which is not available in the US. It even has 6MT as an option!
I wish that trim was available here!
Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Haha yea, it's like a TSX 6MT back in the days. It's nice to have a K24 with decent torque mated to a smooth shifting 6MT, along with nice leather seats and some fancy features.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Are they not allowed to drive that Blue A Spec? Those reviews show stock footage then they cut back into the car that's obviously NOT the blue one.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Racer

The following 2 users liked this post by alpha0:
Tony Pac (05-24-2017), wlkeel (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Awesome review! thanks 4 sharing!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Honda hates the U.S. market.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

One of my favorites reviews so far. I dont know what it is but I can totally relate to this dude reviewing the car:
-could be the beer belly
-could be the fast driving in the rain
-not fully stopping at the stop sign :-)
-reading something as you are stepping on the gas pedal flying through a wet street...
...oh...and I feel likeI could throw some cold ones while grilling some wings or ribs with this dude...
...love it! Cars are supposed to be fun...and he seems like he enjoys it.

On a serious note though, he mentioned that he had just finished driving a 5 series before getting on the TLX; and he says the TLX feels good, beefy, and sporty and as if iit wants to perform much more if it had more power. This is something to consider and keep in mind when doing the test drive.
The transmission seems to be tuned just right. The sound of the engine is perfect. Not too loud not too quiet. The interior looks nice from this camera angle too.
I havent seen a negative review yet...i think the negative (if it can be called that) concensus is that the car welcomes more power (turbo please come soon!),pros: the interior is nice, the car looks better in person, and Acura brings great value to the table.

T-minus 7 days for the test drive.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Racer

I hope one can disable artificial sound coming in A-spec as option. For one day drive it may be fun, but driving 5-7 years with that sound can be tiring.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Good video, I feel like he could have been more critical of the car though. I thought it was funny when he said there's almost as much room in the back seat as a 5-Series, haha that's so inaccurate. A big complaint I have of the TLX is the scarcity of rear legroom. Overall I'm really happy with this MMC, Acura really did answer all the complaints about the car. Only 2 things I still wish for are more audible exhaust and leather stitching on the dash.

I'm thinking I'll trade up for the A-Spec model next year once it's been consumer tested and there aren't any major complaints. I want something sporty and aggressive like the A-Spec (engine could have more power and exhaust note could be better) and I'm afraid there won't be a Type-S TLX until MMC of the 2nd gen, given that Acura hasn't released a Type-S variant for the TL until MMC. But maybe I'm wrong? I know there's talk about a Type-S for the next generation, but I wonder if the FMC will be a Twin Turbo V6 with some aggressive styling and features and then at MMC they will introduce the sportier variant much like the '18 A-Spec but with more power.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Those of us who put 19" wheels and Michelin PS A/S3 tires on our TLXs have long enjoyed the precise handling and stability the reviews talk about. Don't know why Acura went with the Primacys, but those are in a different ballpark than the crap Firestones and Goodyears.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Are they not allowed to drive that Blue A Spec? Those reviews show stock footage then they cut back into the car that's obviously NOT the blue one.
If it has the NSX paint it might be a one off show car = Trailer Queen.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:49 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Those of us who put 19" wheels and Michelin PS A/S3 tires on our TLXs have long enjoyed the precise handling and stability the reviews talk about. Don't know why Acura went with the Primacys, but those are in a different ballpark than the crap Firestones and Goodyears.
It's funny how we Canadians we get the MPS A/S 3 in the A-spec, whereas you guys get the MXM4.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:01 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by atl7
Good video, I feel like he could have been more critical of the car though. I thought it was funny when he said there's almost as much room in the back seat as a 5-Series, haha that's so inaccurate. A big complaint I have of the TLX is the scarcity of rear legroom. Overall I'm really happy with this MMC, Acura really did answer all the complaints about the car. Only 2 things I still wish for are more audible exhaust and leather stitching on the dash.

I'm thinking I'll trade up for the A-Spec model next year once it's been consumer tested and there aren't any major complaints. I want something sporty and aggressive like the A-Spec (engine could have more power and exhaust note could be better) and I'm afraid there won't be a Type-S TLX until MMC of the 2nd gen, given that Acura hasn't released a Type-S variant for the TL until MMC. But maybe I'm wrong? I know there's talk about a Type-S for the next generation, but I wonder if the FMC will be a Twin Turbo V6 with some aggressive styling and features and then at MMC they will introduce the sportier variant much like the '18 A-Spec but with more power.
I still think they are going to release a Sport Hybrid version of the TLX and not do a Type S. As much as I'd like a Type S with a 6MT, it just doesn't look like that's on their roadmap anymore.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Racer

It's funny how we Canadians we get the MPS A/S 3 in the A-spec, whereas you guys get the MXM4.
May be, majority in canada must be using winter tires. That is not the case in USA, so Acura may have decided to put grand touring all season tires in US.

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews